Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2014, 18:36   #106
the-mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
I had given the vehicle for servicing last Saturday and told them to replace the tyres. They called me later in the day telling that MRF tyres were out of stock. The tyre showroom, where I enquired, also had told me the same in the morning. The showroom guy recommended Ceat as it has warranty and MRF does not. Ceat also costs lesser than MRF. I will check the tubeless also. 'will go to MRF showroom and check as service stations are charging more.

Can you fit a tubeless tire onto a tubed rim? I was of the opinion that tubeless tire rims had deeper pits to seal the space between the rim and tire..!

Old 7th October 2014, 14:30   #107
BHPian

Re: My 5 year old Suzuki Access

Tubeless Tyres fit on any rim/alloy that has double locking. So, mostly the vehicles mafe in the last two decades should have double locking. That includes the steel rims with spokes. However, we cannot use tubeless tyres on spoked rims as the air would leak out through spoke holes. Gotta get a tube in there even if the tyre is tubeless.

Also, aboutbthe engine oils, 10w30 / 20w40 / 10w40 shoild all be okay for Indian climate. For hotter climates better use thosebthat end with w40 and for colder climates use those that start with 10.

I'd rather stick to a good mineral oil or a semi synth and change that every 2K kms than put in a synthetic oil for regular day to day use or sparingly used scooters.

About the weak lighting, it is the stupid Halonix bulbs. Change to the Philips made in germany bulbs or the Osram originals. You can get the Philips from Honda spares. Once u change the bulb, please adjust your bean.

By the way, can anyone suggest how the service is with iBays Suzuki Kukatpally or Venkata Sai in RC Puram?

Last edited by MotoKris : 7th October 2014 at 14:50.
Old 10th October 2014, 14:55   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoKris View Post

About the weak lighting, it is the stupid Halonix bulbs. Change to the Philips made in germany bulbs or the Osram originals. You can get the Philips from Honda spares. Once u change the bulb, please adjust your bean.

Are you sure it is just the default bulb which is the culprit? I thought it was the reflector as well and the combination gives poor lighting.
In the new Access launched recently, one of the marketing claims is "improved lighting" and I think it is due to redesigned reflector.

Which is the Osram/ Phillips bulb that I need to get?

Any online links?
Old 6th November 2014, 19:19   #109
Senior - BHPian

I am investigating on the bulb options available for Access.
The bulb is HS1 and 35Watts.

A Bosch bulb is available for Rs. 82.

I have read on several other forums that no matter if you go for Phillips or Osram, you won't find any significant difference in the lighting.

Maybe I should just try to get some night-vision goggles?
Old 7th November 2014, 17:10   #110
BHPian

^^^ I have replaced the Halonix headlamp with Osram SilverStar 35w on my access and the output is excellent. I now get a pretty nice & clear beam as opposed to almost unidentifiable beam earlier. Bought it from here - http://www.vicky.in/shopping/special...2v35-35w-px43t

I feel that it is a very worthy Rs 200 spent on the scooter. My first investment on a 4 yr old used scooter I got recently.

However, let us remember that the lighting on automobiles is never sufficient when there's an opposite beam hitting your eyes.
I have been using the Osram SilverStar 60/55w bulbs in my cars - Swift, Esteem, Cedia and in my R15, a friend's Karizma, Brother's RTR. Since I have first used them in the Swift 6 years ago, I have been very happy with them. I have even used the Osram NightBreakers in my R15 and in my Accord in the UK but Silverstars are more all weather than NightBreakers. Could ride and drive with Silverstars in thick fog while the NightBreakers simply reflect the light back on you.

While there's always scope for Suzuki to improve the reflector, I am sure the new access's lighting won't be much to write home about with the Halonix's lighting them up.

Also, if anyone is facing slight jerks when picking up pace or feel power slipping slightly, please get your drive belt checked. The drive belt and clutch shoe generally need replacement by abt 25K KMs on the odo. My scooter clocked 26K. The previous owner got the clutch shoe replaced - we found pretty new ones inside when we opened it. But the belt had cracks / cuts between the teeth. Costed me Rs 380 + Rs 100 labour. It seems the belt was costing over Rs 1000 until earlier this year and the prices are reduced recently.

Last edited by MotoKris : 7th November 2014 at 17:21.
MotoKris is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2014, 17:31   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
^^^ I have replaced the Halonix headlamp with Osram SilverStar 35w on my access and the output is excellent. I now get a pretty nice & clear beam as opposed to almost unidentifiable beam earlier. Bought it from here - http://www.vicky.in/shopping/special...2v35-35w-px43t

Thanks for the update, is this a straight fit for the access or do we need to take care of some impending issues?
Old 7th November 2014, 18:46   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I feel that it is a very worthy Rs 200 spent on the scooter. My first investment on a 4 yr old used scooter I got recently.
Rs. 145 for a pair seems too good to be true.
Edit: Shipping is Rs. 80
A single Bosch bulb is Rs. 82.

Last edited by S_U_N : 7th November 2014 at 18:55.
Old 7th November 2014, 18:50   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Rs. 145 for a pair seems too good to be true.

A single Bosch bulb is Rs. 82.
+80 odd Rs. is for shipping and handling, and though the image shows two bulbs, is it really two or only one that comes along?
Old 7th November 2014, 19:02   #114
Senior - BHPian

The picture is of an H4 bulb. So, the actual stuff should be something like this one
http://www.svetila.com/en/light-bulb...line-6283.html
There is a box photo on that page.

So, effective price is Rs. 225.
Price on Svetila for a pair with shipping to India is Rs. 1800.
Old 9th November 2014, 00:10   #115
BHPian

My scooter has developed this strange issue of getting stalled at low speeds. It was running fine and since yesterday it stalls when it should idle.

I understand that setting the idle speed or cleaning carb are ideal solutions but what boggles me that the issue suddenly creeps up and has become a regular thing when it was inexistent just a day back.

The scooter is anyway due for servicing and frankly i do not want to play with the carb or change some settings that could reduce mileage/power as the scooter seemed to be in perfect tune.Please provide your inputs if anyone has faced and overcame similar problem with their access.

Also just a quick query,what would be the service cost from a suzuki service center to change engine oil/filter,gear oil etc. Its an old scooter with 30k on the odo,i got it second hand 5 months back and its the first service under my ownership.
Old 18th November 2014, 16:19   #116
Senior - BHPian

So, the Silverstar will be about Rs. 145+ Rs. 80 for a single bulb.

I am checking other sources to figure out what is the lifespan of this bulb.
Old 19th November 2014, 15:45   #117
Senior - BHPian

Last night, while leaving from office, started the scooter normally and was out of the main gate slope and the engine died.
The indicator was on and the engine was off.
So, I pulled over to one side and switched off the indicator. Tried starting with button start and it did not work. Very strange, I thought to myself. So, I tried again a few times and it was almost like a dead scooter.

My Amaron battery is new -so I was confident that this is not a battery issue.

So, I put it on the main stand and tried kick-starting.
The first few kicks were with zero effort - it was as if there was nothing inside. The 'level' would just go down as if it was child's play.
Then, I checked if there was any engine oil - and it looked fine.
Called another BHPian who lives nearby and after a while and after a dozen attempts with the button start, the scooter started!
It was getting quite late, so did not want to spend time experimenting. Just headed home.
This morning, scooter started normally.

What could be wrong?
Engine oil was changed 1100 KM ago (in September).
Old 21st November 2014, 21:26   #118
JLS
BHPian

Quote:
Last night, while leaving from office, started the scooter normally and was out of the main gate slope and the engine died.
The indicator was on and the engine was off.
So, I pulled over to one side and switched off the indicator. Tried starting with button start and it did not work. Very strange, I thought to myself. So, I tried again a few times and it was almost like a dead scooter.

My Amaron battery is new -so I was confident that this is not a battery issue.

So, I put it on the main stand and tried kick-starting.
The first few kicks were with zero effort - it was as if there was nothing inside. The 'level' would just go down as if it was child's play.
Then, I checked if there was any engine oil - and it looked fine.
Called another BHPian who lives nearby and after a while and after a dozen attempts with the button start, the scooter started!
It was getting quite late, so did not want to spend time experimenting. Just headed home.
This morning, scooter started normally.

What could be wrong?
Engine oil was changed 1100 KM ago (in September).
Did you apply choke while attempting to start? Could have caused an overflow.
After overflow, it takes number of kicks / push button attempts before it will start again.
Better to use kick, because many button start attempts may drain down your battery.
Your symptoms point to overflow as per my understanding.

Regards,

JLS

Last edited by JLS : 21st November 2014 at 21:30.
Old 9th December 2014, 12:52   #119
Senior - BHPian

So, after the incident last month, I got the scooter serviced.
Oil level was less and I could see leakage from the top portion of the engine. There are two pipes/hoses on top and one of them was not sealed properly it seems.

After a thorough wash, I don't remember if the oil stain was completely gone, but for now, I do see some spillage (not sure if it is new or old).

Anyway, during the service, along with a thorough wash inside and underbody, got the air filter changed and the engine oil topped up.
I also got the RH side brake lever replaced.

After that the scooter has been a bliss to drive. The brakes are working better now, though not as good as you find in Activa with combi-brakes.

Time and again I have observed that if you want to have a good ride quality, just get the underbody cleaned thoroughly. Believe it or not!

I also got a new seat cover for the scooter (old one had started tearing) and the scooter looks like new now!

Now, only need to get the coveted Osram HS1 Silverstar.

I am planning to get it shipped from Germany. Does anyone want to do a group buy?
The seller on ebay is probably selling a "Made in China".

Filled up petrol last week and was impressed that I got a mileage of 50 km/lit from Shell. Most of the running was solo, with about 20% being with wife.

Last edited by S_U_N : 9th December 2014 at 12:54.
Old 22nd January 2015, 21:05   #120
BHPian

Quote:
So, the Silverstar will be about Rs. 145+ Rs. 80 for a single bulb.

I am checking other sources to figure out what is the lifespan of this bulb.
See the attached pic of the Silverstar packaging. In fact, I don't thing it would be worth it if you get it from outside. You can try a few other options like checking out for an original regular HS1 from Osram or Philips. Yamaha and Honda bikes came with them and their spared counter should have them.

Also, a few weeks ago my mechanic showed me Philips made in Germany HS1 bulbs he bought in automobile spare shops. There is also another type of Philips HS1 for Rs 250. The bulb is slimmer than the other Philips HS1 and said he got that for a few of his customers and the lighting has improved greatly.

--- see you have some choices

BTW, I to have faced the starting problem once. It is a big big surprise as that problem came never before and never after (so far) even during much colder days. It started with the first press of the self start but stopped. Then neither self not kicks worked. After a few kicks, I opened the throttle to about half and gave a few more and it started. Had to revv for a few seconds before the engine settled without sputtering. Would have given it at least 15 kicks.

Now-a-days my father uses the scoot. Now and then my brother and sis in law too use it by exchanging their new Jupiter (run 4K) with dad. Initially they all felt the access to be not as smooth as the Jupiter. However, they later admitted that they were counting the sound at idle and initial movement. All of them are surprised at how smooth and effortless the 30K KMS old Access rides in comparison to the very able Jupiter. Access looses out only on
- rear suspension (Jupiter's gas charged shock is too good)
- mileage. Jupiter near about 50 KMPL. Access about 40-43 KMPL
- some features like pass switch, pilot lamps, external fuel lid, tubeless tyres in Jupiter are nice

But then, a total spend of about 31K on a 4 year old 26K KMs run Access that is this good is a better deal than a new one at about 63K OTR price. We've tried all stunts like two adults + two kids. Two heafty adults + a kid and it never struggled even to pull up on ramps out of cellar parking.
Attached Thumbnails
My 5 year old Suzuki Access-imag0607.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks