Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2014, 21:31   #91
BHPian

Re: My 5 year old Suzuki Access

My 3 yr old access has started giving battery problems. Due to low running, battery is not getting charged sufficiently and hence self-start is not working. I need to kick start daily. However, if I take it for a long drive of 10 to 15 kms, the battery gets charged and self-start works for a day. Service center is recommending change of battery.
I enquired Exide (Exide Xtreme) and Amaron (Pro Bike Rider) and both are quoting Rs. 1250 with buy back in Pune.

Few queries
1. Should I go for new battery or try charging existing battery from outside?
2. If I decide to go with new battery, any recommendation for low running vehicle? I see most of dealer are recommending maintenance free battery with no topping required as well as the battery don't seem to have provision for top-up, I mean they are sealed. I am apprehensive whether these batteries will hold good even with low usage. Existing Exide OEM battery is not a maintenance free one and allows me to top it if required.

Please advise.
Old 23rd August 2014, 21:41   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simhi View Post
My 3 yr old access has started giving battery problems. Due to low running, battery is not getting charged sufficiently and hence self-start is not working. I need to kick start daily. However, if I take it for a long drive of 10 to 15 kms, the battery gets charged and self-start works for a day. Service center is recommending change of battery.
I enquired Exide (Exide Xtreme) and Amaron (Pro Bike Rider) and both are quoting Rs. 1250 with buy back in Pune.

Few queries
1. Should I go for new battery or try charging existing battery from outside?
2. If I decide to go with new battery, any recommendation for low running vehicle? I see most of dealer are recommending maintenance free battery with no topping required as well as the battery don't seem to have provision for top-up, I mean they are sealed. I am apprehensive whether these batteries will hold good even with low usage. Existing Exide OEM battery is not a maintenance free one and allows me to top it if required.

Please advise.
The problem is that your battery is not able to retain its charge. This is the last stage before the battery dies out. If you are using it for long distances you can prolong its life, but for your usage a change is the only option

Battery technology has improved considerably and you should be fine with any of the leading manufacturers. Try and get the same brand that is in the scooter now
TheARUN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2014, 18:38   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simhi View Post
Please advise.
I'm assuming other things like corrosion and proper tightness of connecting terminals are not issues here. You could get a distilled water top up, full charge and specific gravity check done. Using the kick for the first start of the day might also help the battery regain it's strength if it has any life leftover. Otherwise, replacement might be the only way out.

But unless you drive a bit more, chances are high you will run into this problem again even if you replace the batt.

BTW, I switched over quite some time back to an amaron maintenance free and it's been good.
isiv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2014, 15:46   #94
BHPian

Thanks TheARUN and isiv. I went for the battery and bought Exide Extreme. Self-start is working fine for now. isiv, I agree - unless we drive a bit more, we will run into same problems again. I would have lived without battery but since spouse also uses the vehicle, having only kick start was not an option.
Old 27th August 2014, 08:27   #95
Senior - BHPian

What is the recommended gear oil for Access? There is no mention of grade and quantity to be used in the manual.
Old 4th September 2014, 13:23   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
What is the recommended gear oil for Access? There is no mention of grade and quantity to be used in the manual.
Check out my post dated 2nd January 2013 on this thread. Had got the details from the A.S.S. here in Hyderabad.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ml#post3004997 (My 5 year old Suzuki Access)
Scarlet_Rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2014, 13:39   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet_Rider View Post
Check out my post dated 2nd January 2013 on this thread. Had got the details from the A.S.S. here in Hyderabad.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ml#post3004997 (My 5 year old Suzuki Access)
I had read that before, but somehow I am unable to find this. Do you know any brand and cost?
Old 8th September 2014, 10:35   #98
BHPian

SAE 90 grade gear oil is easily available, especially at four wheeler spare part shops. Only thing is that the minimum pack is of 500 ml and Access 125 requires around 100 ml. You can opt for Castrol or other reputed brands. Not sure about the price though.

http://www.castrol.com/en_in/india/p...l-gl-4-90.html
Old 10th September 2014, 00:42   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet_Rider View Post
SAE 90 grade gear oil is easily available, especially at four wheeler spare part shops.
Thanks for this very informative thread on the Access. Got transferred to Hyderabad and got a 2008 well maintained model with the intention to use it till I get my car sourced from Kolkata. (The previous owner was a colleague moving onsite and gave it at dirt cheap price)
However got bowled by this machine and have never regretted on the purchase. It runs fine and as somebody mentioned if the head lights are off the self start cranks the engine on the very first attempt. ALWAYS.
Planning to keep it for the rest of its life to run errands.

However, can you suggest a good servicing centre near Gacchibowli in Hyderabad and also the service interval as I run just about 10/12km a day.

Also am not being able to put it on center stand. Any special technique?(have never used a 2 wheler before extensively)
saion666 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2014, 01:33   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saion666 View Post
Can you suggest a good servicing centre near Gacchibowli in Hyderabad and also the service interval as I run just about 10/12km a day.
Check the link below for the list of service centres. The one at Tolichowki seems to be the nearest to Gacchibowli.

http://www.grotal.com/Hyderabad/Suzu...ce-Center-C70/

As per the owner's manual, the service interval is every 2000 kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saion666 View Post
Also am not being able to put it on center stand. Any special technique?(have never used a 2 wheler before extensively)
The owner's manual says: "To place the scooter on the centre stand, place your foot firmly on the stand extension and then rock the scooter to the rear and upward with the passenger hand rail with your right hand, while steadying the handlebars with your left hand."
Old 15th September 2014, 01:08   #101
Senior - BHPian

Got the V-ribbed belt changed on Saturday.
This took care of the 'klich' sound that came while accelerating from slow speeds.

The belt cost Rs. 430 and the labour was Rs. 150.

Now, it is time to fix the low light from the headlamp.

Some pictures of the belt and the installation.

I compared with the belt that came out and the quality was the same - so this is original.
The older one was a little lose.

My 5 year old Suzuki Access-img_20140912_194325189_hdr.jpg

My 5 year old Suzuki Access-img_20140912_194330861_hdr_edited1.jpg

My 5 year old Suzuki Access-img_20140913_100016005_hdr_edited1.jpg

My 5 year old Suzuki Access-img_20140913_100116586_hdr_edited1.jpg

My 5 year old Suzuki Access-img_20140913_101031553_hdr_edited1.jpg

My 5 year old Suzuki Access-img_20140913_101151615_hdr_edited1.jpg

My 5 year old Suzuki Access-img_20140913_101449236_hdr_edited1.jpg

My 5 year old Suzuki Access-img_20140913_101455928_hdr_edited1.jpg

My 5 year old Suzuki Access-img_20140913_101514097_hdr_edited1.jpg

Last edited by S_U_N : 15th September 2014 at 01:09.
S_U_N is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2014, 15:59   #102
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone changed the gear oil on their access as a DIY or at a FNG with some pictures to share? My FNG is clueless about the gear oil and thinks that the scooter also doesn't have any oil filter. The A S S is pathetic and apart from the heavy bills, there is not much improvement in the vehicle. The A S S in this case is Aryan Suzuki near Forum Value mall.

Any other good service centers that people are aware of near Marathalli?
Old 19th September 2014, 20:33   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Got the V-ribbed belt changed on Saturday.
This took care of the 'klich' sound that came while accelerating from slow speeds.
During the last service I got the v-ribbed belt changed. At speeds at around 50 kmph the vehicle's transmission isn't smooth. Giving the Access for service tomorrow - let me get it checked.

The rubber lining surrounding the under seat storage has come out completely - need to replace that also.

The back tire is also completely bald and bike skids around the corner. Which is the recommended brand to go for? I am thinking of MRF (Tyre and tube) for both wheels.
Old 21st September 2014, 20:31   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
During the last service I got the v-ribbed belt changed. At speeds at around 50 kmph the vehicle's transmission isn't smooth. Giving the Access for service tomorrow - let me get it checked.

The rubber lining surrounding the under seat storage has come out completely - need to replace that also.

The back tire is also completely bald and bike skids around the corner. Which is the recommended brand to go for? I am thinking of MRF (Tyre and tube) for both wheels.
Why not switch over to the tubeless ones?

What exactly happens at 50 kmph in your case?
Old 22nd September 2014, 18:03   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Why not switch over to the tubeless ones?
I had given the vehicle for servicing last Saturday and told them to replace the tyres. They called me later in the day telling that MRF tyres were out of stock. The tyre showroom, where I enquired, also had told me the same in the morning. The showroom guy recommended Ceat as it has warranty and MRF does not. Ceat also costs lesser than MRF. I will check the tubeless also. 'will go to MRF showroom and check as service stations are charging more.

Quote:
What exactly happens at 50 kmph in your case?
It started with the last service, when they changed the V ribbed belt. At speeds lesser than 50 kmph, I did not have any issues but above 50 kmph, especially on uphills, I could distinctly feel the transmission was not smooth. No sound though, but the could feel in the accelerator, a constant vibration of "missed" transmission.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks