Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2014, 17:44   #2566
Senior - BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
My motorcycle is losing coolant but I don't know where it is going. I can't find a leak nor am I able to see any smoke from the exhaust, just to rule out a blown head gasket. It takes a little over two weeks for the level to drop from Max to Min. I've always had a steady level of coolant with levels not changing in months so this is a little worrying. More so cause I can't trace it. I run 50km a day and the bike does stand idle for a couple of minutes at traffic lights. Nothing new though. The weather is cool so I see no reason for coolant to evaporate so quickly. Please advice.
There is a chance that the leaked coolant will get collected in the bellypan. Direct a strong jet of water to the bellypan and check if the water flowing out is green in color.
Old 24th July 2014, 10:05   #2567
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Speak to Ravi and get a senior tech to handle your bike.
My bike's been with Khivraj on Kasturba Road all of yesterday. Ravi is the one who looked at the bike. They've checked everything and all seems okay. There is no leak anywhere. This does not really solve my problem though. I am taking the bike back today and will observe. All they did was bleed the cooling system. Thanks for suggesting Ravi. Interacting with Ravi gave me a lot of reassurance that my crotch rocket is in good hands.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2014, 23:41   #2568

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post

If one is bored of his bike, and wants a cheap and effective fix to explode one's now jaded brain cells, without actually buying another bike, THIS is IT!

P.S. And I've not even gotten to the note yet .....
Hey doc,
It's been a month now... We are still waiting for exhaust note videos ( or audios for that matter)

Or if you would be so kind to share the seller details with us
Old 25th July 2014, 13:51   #2569
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anki64 View Post
Hey doc,
It's been a month now... We are still waiting for exhaust note videos ( or audios for that matter)

Or if you would be so kind to share the seller details with us
Errr .... I do not recall promising the former. My comfort level with technology (cameras, smartphones, recorders, etc.) is legendary amongst the old timers here .....

For the latter, I have already PM'd many who've PM'd me about the same. Always glad to help fellow bikers/motorheads.

As before for saddlebags and sleeping bags and tents and riding gear and such, would prefer to keep personal recommendations on commercial things off the main board.

Last edited by ebonho : 25th July 2014 at 13:52.
Old 25th July 2014, 14:32   #2570
BHPian

Hi everyone, I was just wondering if all of you with Duke 390s are having a lot of issues with your bikes or is it just my bike. My bike is 4 months old and has done just over 5000kms and I already feel that I am done with it, I cant deal with the number of things that keep going wrong with it all the time. Moreover it is scary to think how one would deal with all the issues once its a little older and outside warranty.

Missing front mud flap, over inflated tires - 40psi in both (day 1)
Faulty wheel bearing ( week 1)
Wobbly wheel (week 1 - 3 visits)
Paint peeling off rims (month 1 - unresolved)
Near brake failure (week 2 - took 2 months and 5 visits to improve - still not fully functional)
6 chain adjustments (can't complain about this I suppose)
Bent rim @ 40km/h (month 2 )
Engine stalling randomly (unresolved)
Engine oil leakage from cylinder head (month 3 - unresolved)
Leaky front forks twice (month 4 - under warranty but you pay ~Rs.500 for fork oil)
ECU warning light (month 4 - unresolved)

Various service centers' attitude and skills (lack of them) doesn't help either.

Last edited by ff1609 : 25th July 2014 at 15:01.
Old 25th July 2014, 14:50   #2571
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My comfort level with technology (cameras, smartphones, recorders, etc.) is legendary
May I suggest a point and shoot film camera. Trust me, these things beat the heck out of cheap point and shoot digitals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff1609 View Post
My bike is 4 months old and has done just over 5000kms and I already feel that I am done with it,
Woah. That is a lot of running and a lot of problems.

I can't help you with everything. I suggest you drop the tire pressure to 24-28 (front-rear,solo). I am sure this was the core reason behind a bent rim, leaking fork and poor braking. Possibly the bearing failure too.

I was close to losing the front mud flap. Noticed a screw missing and got it fixed.
Old 25th July 2014, 14:55   #2572
BHPian

Quote:
Hi everyone, I was just wondering if all of you with Duke 390s are having a lot of issues with your bikes or is it just my bike. My bike is 4 months old and has done just over 5000kms and I already feel that I am done with it, I cant deal with the number of things that keep going wrong with it all the time. Moreover it is scary to think how one would deal with all the issues once its a little older and outside warranty
I dont know about others, but on my 9 month old (with 3000 and odd kms on odo), i have just 1 problem, which is the engine stalling randomly while downshifting at slow speeds. Other than this, its trouble free. Seems like yours is a specific case.

Last edited by mobike008 : 25th July 2014 at 16:06. Reason: Please dont quote entire post for a short reply. Thanks
Old 25th July 2014, 15:12   #2573
BHPian

Quote:
over inflated tires - 40psi in both (day 1)
Wobbly wheel (week 1 - 3 visits)
Paint peeling off rims (month 1 - unresolved)
Bent rim @ 40km/h (month 2 )
Leaky front forks twice (month 4 - under warranty but you pay ~Rs.500 for fork oil)
The above can all be attributed to over inflation of tyres and/or an "aggressive" riding style (read not slowing down for speed breakers/potholes)

Quote:
Faulty wheel bearing ( week 1)
Near brake failure (week 2 - took 2 months and 5 visits to improve - still not fully functional)
These two might be related. If the bearing caused the disc to bend/warp, braking would reduce. Will have to change the disc and pads.
More info/testing required.

Quote:
Engine oil leakage from cylinder head (month 3 - unresolved)
ECU warning light (month 4 - unresolved)
What was the error code? What did the ASC say?

Quote:
Engine stalling randomly (unresolved)
A broken/loose battery terminal might be the culprit here.

Quote:
Various service centers' attitude and skills (lack of them) doesn't help either
Mind telling us where this was? Did you try escalating it to the Service Engineer?
Old 25th July 2014, 16:03   #2574
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
May I suggest a point and shoot film camera. Trust me, these things beat the heck out of cheap point and shoot digitals.
I agree. Not only that, but my older bulkier digital camera (which I stopped using because the flap for the battery had broken artially and had to be taped to keep tension on the two cells internally - otherwise working perectly) takes way better fotos that the POS I currently use.

That said, the film camera cannot take the video and sound grab that the poster requested, so ......
Old 25th July 2014, 19:31   #2575
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
Sorry for the delay guys, posting a few photos after the change of tyres to Ceat Vertigo Sport.
Quoting to get your attention - did we meet each other yesterday night (around 8.45 pm), on the service road near ORR, coming from the Big basket office \ Alpine apartments ?

I saw a D390 on different tyres (looked like the Vertigo) adn we did exchange kind of half smile, but could not stop since I had some pressing matters to attend. Was wondering if it was you.

--Anoop
Old 25th July 2014, 21:52   #2576
BHPian

Quote:
I agree. Not only that, but my older bulkier digital camera (which I stopped using because the flap for the battery had broken artially and had to be taped to keep tension on the two cells internally - otherwise working perectly) takes way better fotos that the POS I currently use.

That said, the film camera cannot take the video and sound grab that the poster requested, so ......
Ah, Doc , of all excuses ...surely you have friends who're not technologically challenged and ride with often , and this is your excuse

With film, you have to get it digitized to upload in to the internet, so that's one more step in the workflow. Rather, why not use a cellphone, I presume you have one that's young enough to do decent video recording.
Old 26th July 2014, 11:12   #2577
BHPian

^^^^^
Since you are in Pune too, and knowing Doc's super friendly attitude towards Team-Bhpians, I suggest you " do the needful" :-) !!!! ( my fave Indian English expression)
Old 26th July 2014, 11:31   #2578
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Ah, Doc , of all excuses ...surely you have friends who're not technologically challenged and ride with often , and this is your excuse

With film, you have to get it digitized to upload in to the internet, so that's one more step in the workflow. Rather, why not use a cellphone, I presume you have one that's young enough to do decent video recording.
Quote:
Originally Posted by john doe View Post
^^^^^
Since you are in Pune too, and knowing Doc's super friendly attitude towards Team-Bhpians, I suggest you " do the needful" :-) !!!! ( my fave Indian English expression)
Yeah Ricci, long time since we met up. Let me know when you're coming over with a digital camera or a new generation mobile phone. Will arrange for the bike and coffee.

Cheers, Doc

P.S. Are you stil riding the Karizma or have you moved on to something else after that?
Old 26th July 2014, 18:05   #2579
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Quoting to get your attention - did we meet each other yesterday night (around 8.45 pm), on the service road near ORR, coming from the Big basket office \ Alpine apartments ?

I saw a D390 on different tyres (looked like the Vertigo) adn we did exchange kind of half smile, but could not stop since I had some pressing matters to attend. Was wondering if it was you.

--Anoop
No way I would be there Anoop. I am in Girinagar and ride to Adugodi through the Ashoka Pillar route. That's is where you would find me.
There are about 4 guys on D390 who are also planning to get Leh'd. May be this could be someone from that group.
unk9ja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2014, 11:59   #2580

Quote:

For the latter, I have already PM'd many who've PM'd me about the same. Always glad to help fellow bikers/motorheads.
I would like to get a PM about the same.
Thanks in advance !

Its wise to share all those details off the main board, else this thread would look like a giant classifieds board.
I saw a thread few days ago about 390 accessories
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...-thread-5.html
This would be a good place to archive that info for all those who are in "shut-up-and-take-my-money" mode after looking at that exhaust

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks