Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2013, 03:10   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My Flamberge (KTM Duke 390) Ownership report - A middle aged man's perspective

I know people can't wait to see how their new motorcycle can crank out the power but there is nothing magic about these bikes that make a proper break in unimportant.
As with all complex machines, the engine/transmission parts need to adjust to one another if a long life is to be expected.

My advice?
Take it easy. Sit back and enjoy riding a motorcycle that draws admiring looks from the others around you.
After the initial brake in period has been achieved, then you can play with the power safely without concerning yourself with limits on the engine speed.
ArizonaJim is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th October 2013, 08:56   #62
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Flamberge (KTM Duke 390) Ownership report - A middle aged man's perspective

+1 ArizonaJim!

I was heartsick to read about the destroyed 390.

Think the manufacturers know their vehicles best. I strongly incline towards following their advice instead of well intentioned people on the internet.

But since the OP was worried about a possible problem, think he needed to be told how to check for it.
Old 30th October 2013, 11:34   #63
Senior - BHPian

One thing re teh starting issue - if, instead of following the manual/ SA advice, you give a mild throttle input while cranking, the engine starts just fine. No need for a long press of the starter.

I dont know if this is unique to my bike or will work for all.

Also, I am not feeling any of the LHS vibrations that people are complaining about - must be thick skinned. I dont even find the heat very annoying - it is there but not very uncomfortable other than chugging around in stop & go traffic. When I stand still, there is not much issue.
Old 30th October 2013, 12:09   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
One thing re teh starting issue - if, instead of following the manual/ SA advice, you give a mild throttle input while cranking, the engine starts just fine. No need for a long press of the starter.

Also, I am not feeling any of the LHS vibrations that people are complaining about - must be thick skinned. I dont even find the heat very annoying - it is there but not very uncomfortable other than chugging around in stop & go traffic. When I stand still, there is not much issue.
I just hit the starter for however long it takes. With a 42km commute I'm subjecting the bike to, the battery has plenty of time to make up for all the charge it loses

On a serious-er note, the starter needs to be thumbed for a maximum of a couple of seconds and the motor starts without fail.

And the vibes aren't an issue unless you ride another bike. I step off the Duchess and hop onto my Zma and immediately there's a sea-change in refinement.
With regards to the heat, 10-4 on that...
When stationary, it is a non-issue most of the time, but the moment traffic slows to a crawl, <add choicest of expletives here> heat tends to become more than a minor annoyance.

Cheers !
Old 30th October 2013, 12:16   #65
BHPian

I agree with MavericK46. Heat can be felt only when crawling (especially between 10 - 20 kmph) and not when stand still.

Meanwhile, I have noticed that my fan keeps alternating between pulling and pushing off the heat. The sound the fan makes when pulling the heat to the front of the bike is more of a 'humm' (when the bike is below 9kmph) and when pushing onto the sides (higher than 11kmph) is more of a 'whoosh'.

In stop-go traffic, we are constantly hovering between standstill to 20 kmph. I am now worried if this constant alternating will roast the fan motor, although there is a significant gap between direction changes. What say guys!
Old 30th October 2013, 14:33   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
I agree with MavericK46. Heat can be felt only when crawling (especially between 10 - 20 kmph) and not when stand still.

Meanwhile, I have noticed that my fan keeps alternating between pulling and pushing off the heat. The sound the fan makes when pulling the heat to the front of the bike is more of a 'humm' (when the bike is below 9kmph) and when pushing onto the sides (higher than 11kmph) is more of a 'whoosh'.

In stop-go traffic, we are constantly hovering between standstill to 20 kmph. I am now worried if this constant alternating will roast the fan motor, although there is a significant gap between direction changes. What say guys!
It doesn't even sound like your motorcycle has turned off because it reached the safe temperature limit. That's the inbuilt safeguard here, if it does overheat the engine will shut off and start only after a few minutes. Nothing to worry about here, the story is much the same on the 200. Cheers.
Old 30th October 2013, 15:05   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin23 View Post
It doesn't even sound like your motorcycle has turned off because it reached the safe temperature limit. That's the inbuilt safeguard here, if it does overheat the engine will shut off and start only after a few minutes. Nothing to worry about here, the story is much the same on the 200. Cheers.
Ashwin I understand that the ECU will cut off the engine after the threshold temperature is crossed. I was talking about the fan motor
Old 30th October 2013, 15:48   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Ashwin I understand that the ECU will cut off the engine after the threshold temperature is crossed. I was talking about the fan motor
Ah my apologies I didn't read your question carefully.

As long as the heat sink etc. are designed well it won't be a problem, changing directions is perfectly natural in a motors designed for it. I'm not sure of the kind of system in operation here though but the boffins would have definitely thought this through. Bangalore is still alright. Imagine the same in Delhi!

Anyway I'll leave it to more enlightened minds to answer this query.
Old 30th October 2013, 16:16   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Interesting observation there. Regarding the query on the motor, I dont think this rotation direction change should fry the electric motor as (AFAIK) electric motors can spin naturally in both the directions depending on the direction of the current. Experts, do correct me if I am wrong.
Old 30th October 2013, 18:24   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post

Yes Sridhu, the same holds good for my ride too. A gentle twist of throttle will unleash the engine. On a continuous mode, the cranking takes ages.
When the engine is cold, it is easier to start than a hot engine. If I cut off the engine at a traffic signal, the effort taken by the starter to get going is a bit loooong.
unk9ja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2013, 19:28   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If I cut off the engine at a traffic signal, the effort taken by the starter to get going is a bit loooong.
Follow these steps and i can assure you, the bike starts .

If possible bring the bike to Neutral gear.

- Switch of the engine cut off switch
- Turn off the keys
- Turn on the keys
- Turn on the engine cut off switch

Give a second or max 2 for the cranking and be sure the bike starts.

Just trying to crank in gear after stopping the engine takes quite longer than the steps above.
Old 1st November 2013, 09:31   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Follow these steps and i can assure you, the bike starts .

If possible bring the bike to Neutral gear.

- Switch of the engine cut off switch
- Turn off the keys
- Turn on the keys
- Turn on the engine cut off switch

Give a second or max 2 for the cranking and be sure the bike starts.

Just trying to crank in gear after stopping the engine takes quite longer than the steps above.
Hello VW, I do perform these when it cuts off. But in a mad city like Bangalore, the honks from the rear are unbearable. Even as the timer on the traffic signal starts from 10, the vehicles behind you will just urge you to move with that honk. I normally pull up to the side of the road and do the steps you have mentioned but not before getting a dozen of stares and a couple of sweet nothings from the fellow motorists.
Old 1st November 2013, 10:42   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I normally pull up to the side of the road and do the steps you have mentioned but not before getting a dozen of stares and a couple of sweet nothings from the fellow motorists.
You got to worry about yourself in these situations. I ensure i take my time to get the bike started because trying to crank other wise will only frustrate you and you end up spending the same time.

These nincompoops who honk when the timer is at 10 and the signal is at Red, usually end up waiting behind me for over 10 seconds and innocently delay them even i start moving. Gives me a satisfaction that their attempts are futile. But i hear you man.

Be it my bull or the 390, if i stall it, i just ensure i signal the traffic behind that i cant move and slowly move to the side or start from the position where i am.

Thats been a habit for a while.

My advice, dont bother for others. If we stay behind the red till its green, i am sure others will start to learn and practice.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2013, 11:00   #74
Senior - BHPian

@unk9ja: Try a little bit of throttle when you crank. Like I said, it works very well for me.

I agree with VW2010 that unless you are deliberately blocking people, you should ignore honks.

@ArizonaJim: Thank you. Have pm-ed you.
Old 2nd November 2013, 08:20   #75
Senior - BHPian

Did my first 150 km ride yesterday. HSR-Decathlon-Bagalur-Hosur-a bit towards Krishnagiri-back to Hosur-Bagalur-Malur-Hosakote and back.

The roads were mostly good throughout. Occasional rough patches.

Question for you tourers: When I went through fog near Hosur, my visor got misted up completely. Being from a photography background, I am paranoid about just wiping off the damn thing with my gloves (scratches!). How do you guys handle it? Just wipe it off would be my guess.

The ride was very good. The bike behaved perfectly. Now I understand what people are saying about the ride being hard. But the bike is planted. Averaged about 65kmph. Stopped off every 50 minutes.

The fuel gauge is extremely unreliable - it was showing about 80km left & about half a tank. I stopped & started again & suddenly it showed empty. Better to go with an estimate of about 230-250km after a full top up rather than rely on the gauge.

Note: based on very few data points - the Shell Super seems to let you go about 25 km more. So, on a 9 lt fill up, the gain-loss is about even. If it lets the engine run smoother, i think it is better to go with Super.

Felt the need for a wind deflector even though I did not go above 110 too often (still running in the bike & the roads also were not safe enough to do more). So, spoke to Promoto; getting a smoke grey RNB. (The V-Flow needs to be ordered; he is also not sure about the fit for a 390).

After the anemic lights during the morning, decided to upgrade to Phillips X-treme vision. Put it in yesterday. Seems to really make a difference. Dont know whether it is my eye or my wallet talking.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks