Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2024, 18:04   #661
Senior - BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"

One of my long term wishes, was to be able to go to West Bengal on my Amun-Ra. This is a very proud moment as I could complete this trip, solo. I had started from Pune on Friday 9th February at 02:30 AM. The first day halt was at Nagpur Outer and reached around 05:30 PM. Next day started around 5ish to reach Sambalpur around 6. For the remaining, I started at 06:30 AM and reached home around 04:10 PM of 11th February.

Amun-Ra has performed exceptionally all through out and I maintained a speed around 80 on the odo.

Just a small hickup though, but that was my "keeda" wherein in order to save the last 20 kilometers, I forced Google Aunty to go via the inner lanes. The distance though was around just 6km, but it's another experience to drive a loaded Bullet via unguarded rail tracks and local play grounds.

Lessons learnt (as if I will take a lesson) but I will not take this shortcut during my return.

The highlighted Green made me Red.
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-screenshot_202402120941562.png  

Majumdarda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st March 2024, 03:13   #662
Senior - BHPian

This is the final stretch of the journey as I return to base.
Amravati Murtizapur Karanja Mehkar Jalna Aurangabad Ahmednagar Pune.
And at 3AM, all decked up, am still wondering if the RE headlights, supported by a pair of decent AUX are suitable to illuminate the moon craters I am expected to encounter between Murtizapur and Karanja.
White washed the entire morning trip plan, for this section only I have to start late, encountering varied sized traffic.

Amun-Ra under Pillar 5 on the Dongargarh Nagpur highway, captured yesterday around 9am while travelling from Raipur to Amravati

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-img_20240229_085335717.jpg
Majumdarda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2024, 15:37   #663
Senior - BHPian

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-lead1.jpg

Amun-Ra touched 70000 kilometers while on a Solo trip of approximately 4500 kilometers. Interesting? Please read along!

Remembering the time when I got Amun-Ra, way back in 2013, and one of the rides from my bucket list was to do a Pune - WB and back, someday!

The clock ticked away merrily and it tricked me further. At a time, when Standard was the IN thing, to a time, when its more of a statement. Priorities changed and somehow my wish for a P2B2P, took a back seat; until the February of 2024.

Due to some emergency, I had to visit home and March being the Final exams time, family would not be able to accompany me. With flight ticket prices beyond the horizon and Bholu not assuring confirmed berths on such a short notice, the option left with me was to drive all the way. But then, that has a problem on its own as doing a solo, in a car, will make me feel sleepy and I did not find much confidence. So what else?

With various thoughts doing their respective rounds, why not try with Amun-Ra? The first thing that struck me was the idea of doing a "SOLO"! Till date, I have not done a solo till Goa, and this is WB, a commendable distance of approximately 2000kms each side. Nah! Not possible! The feeling of uncertainty, read "what-If", became too sound to ignore! And to top it all, is the fact that I have a habit of loosing directions, no matter how simple the directions are, even with Aunt G shouting at the top of her voice!

Sensing the rather calmness, Wife inquired and was given a simple advise. "It's something which you have been longing ever since, so if I am confident to go ahead, I should!" Anyways, long story short and after inquiring on various portals about hotels and route, I decided to move ahead on the 9th.

Since I do not have a proper tail bag, I decided to get one from Wroom. All these times I have been using the good old duffel bag (be that Ladakh or Goa) but the fact that if I have to remove anything, the only way is to un-mount the entire assembly; The challenge crops up when I have to remount since the entire setup changes, and is a time waste. My '14 Cramster's tank bag had served me well all these times, but thought of getting a new one from Wroom anyways.

Thankfully not much was required from the servicing aspect since Amun-Ra has been properly serviced at all times, the friendly technician suggested to go for a full synthetic, considering the distance and temperature! Also got a BoBo's and it was some experience while procuring it. Strangely, though it was showing available at Croma online, the first few shops could only direct me to the next one. Online prices from other vendors were on the higher side; Fortunately I could manage one at a deep discount when I had started to loose hope. Got a Woscher inflator and since that operates via the cigarette lighter, had to buy an appropriate fitment which can be connected to the mains, should there be a need. The Bags from Wroom reached me on the 6th and WOW! Such a huge package it is. Now I have to stuff stuff so as to do justice

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-img_20240206_131151140.jpg

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-img_20240206_205753231.jpg

On the 7th, the main stand connector broke off and though I was planning to get a new stand, the welding technician advised that he can do a good job and welded it back. And some work he has done! The welding holds ground and now I am thinking that should I change the main stand or continue using the same?

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-img_20240207_142024070.jpg

With everything checked and a few mock runs with the behemoth bag I ordered, ultimately I started around 02:30 AM on the 9th Feb. The route plan was as follows:
  • D1 Pune - Ahmednagar - Aurangabad - Jalna - Mehkar - Karanja - Murtizapur - Amravati - Nagpur Outer (761 KM)
  • D2 NO - Sambalpur (559 KM)
  • D3 Sambalpur to Kharagpur (450 KM)

D1

Started around 02:30 AM with the odometer reading 07943 and reached destination around 05:30 PM. Not much of hotel or eateries are present in this stretch, though the road surface is excellent, but two laned at various places, The stretch between Murtizapur to Karanja is riddled with potholes of varied size and causes considerable loss of patience. Since I had been riding long, Took a big break at Hotel Parivar around 10:30 AM and completed the lunch. The fact that I had to travel towards WB, I avoided Nagpur city and looked for accommodation around the Nagpur Outer. I stayed at a place called Balaji Lodge, which had a secured parking and option of dining.

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-d1.jpg

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-d2.jpg

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-d3.jpg

D2

Did not check at what time I had started but the morning ride was fun and took my first break at Mathni toll for the customary bag alignment. After Bhandara, observed some huge traffic jams which was complicated further post the overnight rains. Thankfully I could wriggle around, but with a loaded Bullet, there is always the risk to topple over! Took the lunch break post Lakhoti around 12 but the place was devoid of proper food and so were the roads. Anyways the Alu parathas tasted awesome and gave me the required energy to push forward. After reaching Sambalpur around 6 PM, I tried to check in to Hotel Dolphin which is just a few meters off Birsa Munda Circle. The experience over there was very bad and even after filling in the details etc, I decided to move out. I had the feeling that the hotel receptionist is not keen to welcome a guest, rather more in getting rid! Anyways, the local people advised me to go towards the Square, where plenty of accommodations are available. This was approximately 3 kms but since I had to reattach the bags, it exhausted me a lot. Hotel Saket welcomed me and the fact that the owner himself rides a Royal Enfield, helped me get a better deal along with a secured basement parking. In fact, not much hotels on this stretch has a secured parking and therefore I recommend this place. I had checked in around 7 PM.

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-d21.jpg

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-d22.jpg

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-d23.jpg

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-d24.jpg

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-d25.jpg

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-d26.jpg

D3

I was informed from the hotel that the jungle stretch after Sambalpur, though might not pose a risk from wild animals, never the less has some huge craters which even forces the lorries to stop at places. With that in mind I started the journey around 06:30 AM, enjoyed the twisty yet paved Ghats and reached destination around late afternoon, probably 05:00 PM. This stretch had sections wherein the 4 lanes get auto-converted to 2 lane and might pose a risk during night travel. Odometer reading: 09805. Total distance covered: 1862 kilometers. Approximate fuel Amun-Ra consumed was 53L and the average I received was approximately 35kmpl.

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-d31.jpg

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-d32.jpg

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-d33.jpg

Garden parking, a luxury unimaginable amongst the towers of Pune!

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-d34.jpg

And with the gems from a bygone era

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-d35.jpg

While in WB, I had to visit a few places and that took around 736 kilometers. Also visited my school, but could not gain admission since the board exams were running. Nevertheless, the experience was superb; standing in front of my school, after a gap of nearly 24 years. Quite surprisingly that even after such a long time, the places have not changed much, though vehicular traffic has increased tremendously. Be that the underpass at Chinsurah railway station, by-lanes of Burnpur or the streets of Raniganj.

An early morning from my home.

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-d41.jpg

Amun-Ra after a thorough bath in the garden.

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-d42.jpg

With elder brother, Vespa XE

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-d43.jpg

Amun-Ra touched the 10000 on the new Odometer while I was travelling to Chinsurah. So that would mean 70000 kilometers

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-d44.jpg

Amun-Ra at "Ghori Ghor", Chinsurah; waiting for my elder brother early in the morning!

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-d45.jpg

Amun-Ra at Bandel Church

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-d46.jpg

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-d47.jpg

Amun-Ra at Burnpur Riverside School. The place which helped me to become what I am today. Lovely memories

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-d48.jpg

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-d49.jpg

(to be continued...)
Majumdarda is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th March 2024, 15:54   #664
Senior - BHPian

After settling things at home front, it was time for me to return back to Pune and with a heavy heart I had to bid adieu. For the return, I had the option of travelling via Hyderabad, the usual route I take while travelling in car. But that costs an extra 200 kilometers. Another factor which played a role in avoiding this section is that still there are no good stays near Ramoji. Therefore, in order to cover maximum distance on the first day itself, below was the schedule

• D1 Kharagpur - Sambalpur - Raipur (723 KM)
  • D2 Raipur - Amravati (475 KM)
  • D3 Amravati - Murtizapur - Karanja - Mehkar - Jalna - Aurangabad - Ahmednagar - Pune (600 KM)

D1

I started approximately around 03:00 AM with the reading at 10541. The day's destination being 700 odd kilometers, I took my first break at a toll so as to relieve myself and capture the early morning serenity. I had plans to stop at the place where I had food during the onward journey, but by the time I was crossing the place, it was too early. Its called as Maa Durga Dhaba on the highway, very near to the Kanjipani police station, where Mutton Kosha is excellently cooked and served on Leaf plate; the aroma just ignites the hunger! There is an excellent ghat section after this, I am guessing it falls under the same police station, and riding through these ghats was so relaxing; wide lanes and disciplined trucks. The urge to do some sweeps is very difficult to control in these sections. I had my lunch at Pizza Hut, near to Birsa Munda Chowk, Sambalpur, around 12:30 PM and reached Raipur by 06:30 PM. This stretch was pretty hectic since two wheeler riders in this section prefers to travel at the wrong side, at break neck speeds. To add to the complexity, there are irregular cut outs on the medians, which I am sure the locals have planted, through which vehicles, just pop out! Very frustrating this section was. The stay was at Hotel MP INN (Treebo Trend MP Inn in Gmaps), which is right on the highway, besides a Tata showroom. The accommodation was good and food was served at room.

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-d51.jpg

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-d52.jpg

Yummy pizzas are a dangerous combination while driving as one tends to drift off!

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-d53.jpg

D2

Started my journey around 06:15 AM and reached Amravati, Hotel Gouri Inn, by 03:30 PM. Sections post Bhandara are seeing lot of road constructions, and I remember seeing these when I had traveled this stretch few years back. Though I had ample time to push forward, but was advised by Tarun (tp_dominator) that post Amravati, decent accommodation would only be available near Aurangabad. Pushing till Aurangabad would probably mean risky for me on second day and therefore Amravati it was. Thank you buddy for the very valuable inputs.

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-d61.jpg

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-d62.jpg

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-d63.jpg

D3

I woke up pretty early (around 1AM) and wanted to start the last leg asap. But then I remembered that the stretch between Murtizapur till Karanja is all crater faced. Around 03:30 AM I could not wait any longer and started from the hotel. In order to cross the crater stretch safely, I tailed a tanker with safe distance. Those powerful lights meant clear view upfront and the driver's change of pace and steering would indicate his intention to avoid the holes. Wonder, what had prevented me to come up with this brilliant idea earlier in the day. As I neared Pune, the temperatures soared up and I had to take numerous breaks to keep myself hydrated and focused. Also I had heard somewhere (probably some Schumi) that people tend to become careless as they come closer to their destination. This added an extra level of precaution for me and I took breaks every now and then. Finally with the odometer reading at 12420, and the clock ticking at 05:30 PM, I entered the parking and requested the young security guard to capture the moment.

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-d71.jpg

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-d72.jpg

Amun-Ra completes the solo trip with the odometer reading at 72420 (that would have been the approximate reading had the original one worked still)

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-pune.jpg

Hotels

Nagpur Outer : Shree Balaji Lodge @ 700; There are better options around and though its good for a night stay, but a family might prefer a comfortable stay. Secured uncovered parking is available within the premises. Food will be arranged by the manager from nearby hotel.

Sambalpur : Hotel Saket @ 1200; This is basically an old structure, remodeled to a hotel. In fact I could relate to the company accommodations during my school days. The place has a secured basement parking; whereas many hotels in this stretch have open parking on the road. Its a good place to stay with family and solo travelers. Food will be arranged by manager from nearby hotel.

Raipur : Hotel MP INN @ 1350. This place has an interesting story as I gathered from the guards. The earlier name was Treebo Trend MP Inn and due to differences with the management, the hotel was handed over to the new owners. My friend had stayed here at the rate of 1000 earlier. I feel I was fleeced with the charges. Nevertheless the accommodation is excellent both for solo and families. Parking is within the premises and there is a gate that remains closed at night. There is a restaurant at this venue and food can also be served at room.

Sambalpur : Hotel Gouri Inn @ 2000. This is also an excellent place for either parties. Parking is within the premises and the main gate remains closed at night. Food is available to order from within the facility.

Fuel Expenses : 5255+5804 = Rupees 11059
Total Fuel: 50+53.31 = 103.31L
Average: 37.6 towards Bengal and 35 towards Pune
Solo Travel: 4477 kilometers

Some Key "realizations" and amusements
  • I need to be able to remember a few more songs so as to re-compose the music inside my helmet.
  • I will not loose my way, be that a day or a night; just a friendly interaction sets the things right.
  • Be hydrated and control the urge to pee.
  • Dates serve as superb energy boosters.
  • Wroom tank-bag needs to have a fold-able section so that when I press the tank with the knee, it tucks in.
  • Wroom TurTuk is excellent for long trips as it has huge storage; but their rain cover is slippery; as it rubs with the riding jacket.
  • Vaishnu fog lights performed beyond expectations and I thank the team for these.
  • The 60/55W Osrams combined with the Vaishnus served their purpose excellently.
  • Thankfully not a single puncture, broken clutch cable or severed chain.
  • Petrol filling stations are available in plenty and cards are accepted. A station at Sambalpur, just before the ghats wanted to know the card type I am using (did not get a satisfactory response though)
  • There is a road that goes through the forest before one enters Sambalpur from Raipur. This section has probably 5-10 "well" deep craters, where even trucks stop before going ahead. This section is thus not safe to travel at night or high speeds.
  • Odisha two wheeler traffic sense is totally chaotic and its better to cross these sections when there are less two wheeler on road.
  • Trucks, I have observed are well behaved and prefer to stick to the right lanes. Follow the rear wheels before overtaking as it trails the head.
  • Durgapur expressway was being widened when I traveled that stretch; which results in traffic jams.
  • Alu Paratha is a safe bet for lunch; Pizzas should be avoided like plague while travelling.

Last edited by Majumdarda : 13th March 2024 at 16:06.
Majumdarda is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 20th March 2024, 07:55   #665
Senior - BHPian

Is it the time for new tyres?

Amun-Ra had received new set of tyres in March 2022. Post that, there were a few big rides like Ladakh (I had to change one rim since it got bent), Goa and then P2B2P (~4500kms).

It's been a good 2 years since and though kilometer wise, it might not be much, but the other day I observed a few cracks at the bases of the tire ridge lines, and therefore I wonder, Is it apt to bring back the Zappers, and give these a ceremonial farewell?

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-img_20240319_1618067722.jpg

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-img_20240319_1618527332.jpg

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-img_20240319_1623236652.jpg

Thankfully there are no cracks on the sidewalls of either tire. The air pressure remains consistent as well.

But the fact that there are fine cracks showing typically around the centre zone, where the thread has kissed the tarmac more, pushes me to think on its road worthiness!

What do you think?
Old 20th March 2024, 09:06   #666
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post

Amun-Ra completes the solo trip with the odometer reading at 72420 (that would have been the approximate reading had the original one worked still)
This could have been having it's own travelogue !!

Wonderful journey !! I too wish to do this BLR-KOL trip one day on my CI. But doing it solo with the bike barely able to manage 75 kph cruising speed and always the fear of overheating is a tough call for me. What were the cruising speeds you were maintaining, might have been in 80s which is a comfortable place to be. I need to wring the throttle hard to stay there, and that is not too comfortable for the CI.
masterChief007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2024, 09:23   #667
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterChief007 View Post
This could have been having it's own travelogue !!

Wonderful journey !! I too wish to do this BLR-KOL trip one day on my CI. But doing it solo with the bike barely able to manage 75 kph cruising speed and always the fear of overheating is a tough call for me. What were the cruising speeds you were maintaining, might have been in 80s which is a comfortable place to be. I need to wring the throttle hard to stay there, and that is not too comfortable for the CI.
Thank you for your kind note

During the trip I maintained a 80-90, which comes down to 70-80 if I refer Gmap speed. On third day of either sided trips, my right hand felt the vibration pains. Might be a cruise control lever would helped, but those jugads are not at all confidence inspiring. There have been stretches where I tried some sweeps with speed over 90, but with a loaded bullet, that is risky.

75 is a good speed to maintain since on an average if the speed remains around 60, it's commendable. I had been always shaky to perform a solo, but once it's done, it just opens up a lot of opportunities. Try it once, I am sure you will love it.
Majumdarda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2024, 08:39   #668
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post
Is it the time for new tyres?
Change if you are planning for another long ride, these surface level cracks are bit acceptable for city or nearby rides. For comparison sake, check ones here.
sukiwa is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks