Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2022, 16:10   #601
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTab View Post
Hello @Majumdarda
This is an appreciation post regarding this “Amun-Ra” thread you have created. This thread and your experience/experiments with your Standard 500 has helped immensely during the purchase of my bike(second hand), and that too a Forest Green 500
NTab, here is another appreciation post for "Amun-Ra" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDrive lover View Post
Thanks. That's what I too thought. No matter how much I try to convince that its time has passed and there is a greatly refined thumping engine on a better platform available in the form of J-349, the urge to enjoy the super torque of a 500 long stroke is irresistible. I wont be surprised if I end up getting one
And I ended up getting one . Majumdarda, yes, I was searching for a less run, well maintained Bullet 500 standard since a few months after it was discontinued. Finally my search ended a couple of days ago.

Here is my Bagheera
Everything is just about prefect what I was looking for - a carbureted model (October 2016), very less ridden (just 8500 odd kms in 6 years), owned by a govt. servant, no modifications done, everything in stock condition and well maintained, new battery, no unwanted sounds, nothing in loose condition, from my neighboring district so easy ownership transfer (process initiated), and very gentleman 1st owner. What you see in attached pic is the bike in, as it is, condition, just got washed and handed over by the owner, no polishing etc done. It runs super smooth, gear shifting is butter smooth and finding neutral is also very easy.

On the day of purchase itself, I rode it about 100 kms to take it home at Lucknow, and already enjoying the torque and throttle input. Cruising at 60-80 is such a bliss on it. I seem to have got good hang of it in a couple of days, though never rode any RE or heavy bike except for TDs and Bagheera is 3.1 times my weight .

Detail experience and ownership report will come later once I put a few hundred kms on it.
One thing I want to do is to change the engine oil, no matter what the owner informs. I will go through the owners' manual too in next 2 days. Therefore, for the time being, will be grateful if you could pl. inform me which synthetic oil to go for?
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-bullet-pic-1-n.jpeg  

Last edited by LongDrive lover : 6th September 2022 at 16:15.
LongDrive lover is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th September 2022, 16:57   #602
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here is my Bagheera...
Congratulations LongDrive lover and very soon you will be proudly calling yourself a sedate LongDrive rider. Welcome, Bagheera to the Cult of B500 owners. If you love tinkering with the machinery, try to get hold of a Spare Parts Manual as well, the more recent it is, the easier it becomes to relate for we novices. With just 8500kms on the odo (i.e. approximately 1400 kms per year), it seems that your bullet was hardly ridden. Happy for you to be able to procure this gem, but I wonder why the original owner sold this off so soon?

In terms of engine oil, I still stick to mineral oil, preferably Motul's. Yes, I understand that I have to change the oil sooner than later; and that works out expensive if I compare it with the Synthetic oils (just in the aspect of multiple changes required and additional cost). In fact, before my Ladakh trip, I had put in new oil and drained the same post return. I will again change before I go to Goa, in November. In regards to the scope of synthetic oils, I believe, that we do not run our Bullets in "harsh conditions for extended periods" and neither we go mile munching on a regular basis. Moreover, if one still chooses to reap the benefits of an engine running on synthetic oils, it's just not the oil alone that gives thy satisfaction, but other components which are expected to be updated as well. As far as I am concerned, I am still sticking with the minerals.

Well, just one picture does not do justice and that too with a RE embossed seat cover. Probably you can try the old look by removing the seat cover and see if that suits your taste. Also please advise what is that metal thing hanging around. Did the owner have a bash plate kind of stuff attached to that? If Yes, then why was that removed?

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-500.jpg
Majumdarda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 12:07   #603
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post
Congratulations LongDrive lover and very soon you will be proudly calling yourself a sedate LongDrive rider. Welcome, Bagheera to the Cult of B500 owners.
Thanks a lot

Quote:
If you love tinkering with the machinery, try to get hold of a Spare Parts Manual as well, the more recent it is, the easier it becomes to relate for we novices.
Actually, I am quite opposite, meaning very poor in any DIY tasks in machinery, but yes, very good in gaining knowledge and getting vehicles serviced and maintained on time, even if the running is very low. I have a Safari DICOR 2009 model with over 1.13 lakhs on odo, first love of our whole family, that look and run like a charm and everyone, including mechanics get surprised when they hear about its age. So, yes, will try to source and get the Parts manual. Any pointers to its source are welcome pl.

Quote:
it seems that your bullet was hardly ridden. Happy for you to be able to procure this gem, but I wonder why the original owner sold this off so soon?
Because he is neither a team bhpian nor an enthusiast Jokes apart, he is posted at a different city, comes home on week-end, no time to ride it. We (me and son) spent lot of time at his place (4-5 hrs), had detailed talks, saw his circumstances and were pretty sure of everything what he said and how it reflected around, were connecting. When he brought it, he was posted in nearby city and thought of using it for leisurely commute. Infact, he went to get 350, but showroom owner asked him to test ride 500 too after 350, and who will not get blown away with this torque power house! So he bought this. Now, his idea was that, as he is not able to use, and its resale value would go down further as the years pass, that's' why sold off now. Hope you got it now! Like any common man, it was just another bike for him, and fortunately he got someone like me for whom this is a rare gem, getting extinct

Quote:
In terms of engine oil, I still stick to mineral oil, preferably Motul's.... Moreover, if one still chooses to reap the benefits of an engine running on synthetic oils, it's just not the oil alone that gives thy satisfaction, but other components which are expected to be updated as well.
Ok understood your point of view well. Performance-wise, I find it ok, my only interest in going for synthetic oil, is supposedly slight reduction in vibrations! If that's true!! May be right now, I would continue with mineral oil and later on think about synthetic oil.

Quote:
Probably you can try the old look by removing the seat cover and see if that suits your taste.
Actually, that seat cover is the biggest eyesore I noticed too. he had recently put it because original seat has been little torn by monkeys while parked outside his home Now, if I remove it, have to get the new seat! Infact, I will go for RE touring seat, that looks best on B500, but that would cost 4200 INR, so may be slowly, I will get it.

Quote:
Also please advise what is that metal thing hanging around. Did the owner have a bash plate kind of stuff attached to that? If Yes, then why was that removed?
Yes, I too noticed it and asked the owner. Your guess is correct. That is a two part clip to mount engine bash plate (not from RE, but aftermarket), he got fitted but, later removed as it used to get touched on incline of the ramp of his house. Anyway, I will go for RE sump guard which will need another INR 3100, but in a few months.

My immediate plan is to get a full service done including oil and filter change, chain cleaning & lubing, brake fluid, fork oil check and top up, rear shock absorbers gas check and top up, tightening of rear brake paddle, etc.

One suggestion required:

As it is out of warranty, should I go to ASC or outside mechanic who do only RE motorcycles?
Previous owner informed that he had done all services at company workshops only, but service is overdue now.

Sorry to 'hijack' Amun-Ra thread for Bagheera! Hope you or Amun-Ra, both won't mind it. Anyway, this was for initial consultations.

Thanks

Last edited by LongDrive lover : 7th September 2022 at 12:34.
Old 7th September 2022, 15:26   #604
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...is supposedly slight reduction in vibrations!
Do not worry about the vibrations as normal city rides or some occasional outstation rides pose no discomfort.

Quote:
...I will go for RE sump guard ...
Yes, they are excellent but try to get them sooner as I have many times observed the particular model suitable for the Standards, as out of stock. The quality is excellent and I have been using that extensively. In the meantime, if possible, try to get rid of those two black clamps. They look sore, wonder why the owner did not remove them as he got rid of the after-market bash plate.

Quote:
One suggestion required:

As it is out of warranty, should I go to ASC or outside mechanic who do only RE motorcycles?
Previous owner informed that he had done all services at company workshops only, but service is overdue now.
Causes of concern here as I have not come across any RE Servicing technician who has the will and the zeal to perform a decent job. Yes, we are stuck forcefully with the brand RE for servicing just so as to ensure that the Warranty does not lapse, but now that your Bagheera is out of warranty, by no means, head towards the RE SCs. If the past owner used to have the Bullet serviced from the RE SC, its of a serious concern.

See the challenge is not from the knowledge aspect. The technicians employed at any RE SC get excellent and world-class knowledge sessions and training on actual models before they get inducted. But once they are on the floor, there is an aspect of TIME also attached during the Servicings. In simple terms, it means getting the bikes off the ramp as soon as possible . Now you decide. Even if you know someone at the SC, unless the owner is related to you, I will doubt on the work performed on a Bullet.

Quote:
Sorry to 'hijack' Amun-Ra thread for Bagheera! Hope you or Amun-Ra, both won't mind it. Anyway, this was for initial consultations.
Thanks
On the contrary, you are adding value to the overall content through your realizations.
Old 15th September 2022, 14:07   #605
Senior - BHPian

One of the issue that used to bother me, and I guess it does to every other RE owner, is when the speedometer stops working.

In my case, though the speedometer would not show the deflection of the speed (at times stuck at 100), it would show the distance covered. This was good for me since I did not want to change anything that came in stock.

But post-Ladakh, even the meter reading stopped, and therefore the need to have the unit replaced, could no longer be turned down.

At the spare parts shop, I was informed that the part numbers have changed and therefore the ones mentioned in the part manual, are no longer valid. Also, these days the Speedometer unit has changed and I can no longer get the old look of the Standard's. Nevertheless, below are the parts procured.
  • Speedometer Kit [KAN00004/A]
The box also contains the Speedometer cable as part of the set. The individual child part numbers are:
  • 590826/C Speedo Cable Complete
  • 592253/A Speedometer (KMPH)
  • Speedo Drive Assembly [1040741/A]
  • Speedometer Rubber Spring [110179/C]

And now the pain part in regards to why the original one has stopped working? Post my interaction with the shopkeeper, I understood that there are two types of drives available which differ by a few millimeters. If a wrong one is fixed, it might work for some time, but in the long run, the gears fail. In order to resolve this issue, RE has come up with 590826/C which has the same sized nut at both ends. Not sure how much relevant this is to the overall context, but thought of sharing it over here, just in case someone is facing the same ordeal.

And now, Picture time

This is the look of the Original speedometer. This looks so classy and aristocrat
Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-original-speedometer.jpg

This is the new speedometer, somehow I do not like the look. Hopefully sooner I get adjusted to this look.
Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-new-speedometer.jpg

Now, this is seriously baffling. Why would someone put a cover over the meter? Mine never had any water ingress problem, a little vap happens at times, but is OK. Does it mean that the new ones have water ingress risk?
Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-new-speedometer-cover.jpg

This is the part number of the speedo drive. Since I am replacing the meter, thought it's in best interest to have the drive replaced too.
Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-speedo-drive.jpg

The speedometer cable comes along with the Meter assembly in the box. But if someone needs to buy a loose cable, I have shared the part number. Not sure if just the Meter is available though?
Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-speedometer-cable.jpg
Majumdarda is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th September 2022, 17:00   #606
Senior - BHPian

The speedometer, cable and drive assembly have been replaced sometime back. I observed the hole size difference between the old and the new speedo-drives, and indeed the old one is a bit larger, might be by a fraction of a MM

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-hole-size-comparison.jpg

The first 31 have been completed and I will need time to get adjusted to the new look

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-first-31.jpg

My good old partner in crime have now been put to rest along with his family of parts and nuts Thats the reading post my Ladakh completion.

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-good-old-buddy.jpg

On a brighter note, a new chapter starts and it will start with tomorrow's One Ride, 2022. A riding extravaganza with like-minded RE mad-stars, let the ride commence

Name:  One Ride 2022.JPG
Views: 371
Size:  49.7 KB

Last edited by Majumdarda : 17th September 2022 at 17:02.
Majumdarda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th September 2022, 19:47   #607
BHPian

Quote:
This is the look of the Original speedometer. This looks so classy and aristocrat...
This is the new speedometer, somehow I do not like the look. Hopefully sooner I get adjusted to this look.
Honestly, the new speedometer looks pretty good. You've just gotten used to the old one! Bit like when you toss out your favourite pair of boots but regret it the moment you put on the new ones you replaced them with.
Roy.S is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2022, 22:13   #608
Senior - BHPian

It's the day of One Ride, for we ride as ONE [“One of the world's largest curated single-day rides, 'One Ride' calls on riding enthusiasts and Royal Enfield riders across the world to ride as one, celebrating the camaraderie and brotherhood]

Getting up early in the morning, though is not much of an exercise for me, but with the abundance of rains these days, it does take some effort to come out of the cosy comfort. Still, pushing aside and setting myself free from the bounds, the day did start, at 5!

Amun-Ra had already been decked up the previous night, all cleaned and masted. Though saddling up was not much of an effort, but getting the comfy-self squeezed into the layers of Rynox, is some task nevertheless.

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-morning-call.jpg

Like the norm in all group rides, we also had a couple of meetup points for riders to marge into, but then the morning pitchy-enthu gave an excellent idea to choose a meeting point, which was one of the farthest. Well, the event is One Ride after all, so why not start a little farther, for a little more of "brotherhood".

As the members started to join, the adrenaline started to boil and in no time, Amun-Ra was cruising around 90-100. Yes, if I attach a Gmap or any tracking device, I am sure it would be around 80ish, but then the hovering needle on the mark, does give a pinch of satisfaction (Right you were Roy da..) After all, we are all tucked within layers of knox protectors, confidence guaranteed!

The final starting point, with the presence of a few more riding groups, seemed to be more of an Enfield Extravaganza, but with RM just around the corner, Goa was in the air! And so was Amun-Ra

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-ready-start.jpg

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-ready-oh-yeah.jpg

With a file of approx 80+ Enfilders, getting a suitable place for appropriate parking is in itself rewarding, and if that gets accompanied with breakfast, Voila! And how can one leave without clicking some memories?

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-where-line.jpg

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-stance-baby-stance.jpg

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-urs-faithfully.jpg

Our destination for the day was Tiger point. Riding through the foggy clouds is an experience to remember and fun too. Though the speeds dropped drastically to 10-15ish as we entered the curves of Lonavla; It was the guidance of the break lights, that kept us all glued together.

Though we had mist and fog to company and embracing us while we were in her territory, the boys played well! BRC's One Ride 2022 had reached its destination for the day, announced with cheers and aplomb.

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-foggy-foggy-affair.jpg

By mid of the day we all were back to the comforts of our homes. More rides are in pipeline with all fellow Enfielders, with a strong sense and pride of evolving together.

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-together-we-evolve.jpg
Old 20th September 2022, 19:43   #609
BHPian

Hey Majumdarda!

I have a 2016 Bullet 500 that has done about 50k kms. Currently I am noticing minor rear tire wear and my mechanic has told that the rear shocks would need replacing. Instead of replacing the shocks, he suggested to get it repaired and he was telling that it works as well as the new ones. Is it a good option to get it repaired?
Alfaholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2022, 11:38   #610
Senior - BHPian

Personally, I do not believe that repaired stuff will be as good as a new one. Moreover, the result of repaired stuff is insanely dependent on the skill of the technician, which at times lacks, a great deal. My personal recommendation would be to go in for a new pair and continue enjoying the rides.

A few days back I replaced the shock absorbers of my UG1 Pulsar with Endurance. The stock was from Gabriel springs but since they were not available, I went for the Endurance stuff and am quite happy with the outcome. In fact, Bajaj packets also have Endurance products inside them. Just in case if the OEM is not available, you may consider a pair from Endurance.

Amazon Great Indian Festival means time to pamper my steeds with some fluids and juices and support. Motul C1+C2 (779); Motul 15W50 5100 (472*3); Liqui Moly Flush (178); Liqui Moly 4T (229); Taparia Socket Set (1899)

Once heck of a RM'22 coming in after all
Majumdarda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2022, 10:01   #611
Senior - BHPian

My post from 28th December 2013 [#163], informed me that I had purchased a Electra Silencer [592879/A] at the rate of INR 1905. It was called a Short Bottle silencer, and that was from the RE themselves.

Now to the best of my recollection, I think there were issues with the "Jaali" getting torn inside, which resulted in unwanted sounds and a distraction to the mood. I think I had repaired that once, but then the problem had cropped up again.

This silencer had a muffled thump and went well with my Amun-Ra. I did check the showrooms here, but they are no longer having this. Can someone please advise if the Short Bottle silencer of Electra [592879/A] has now been stopped from being manufactured?

I do not want to go for the third-party Short bottles as they are too loud and attracts unwanted attention.
Old 28th September 2022, 16:19   #612
Senior - BHPian

One of the inconveniences I have faced during my initial days of Motorcycle riding was to safely keep the keys, when I am not riding, rather, while I am taking a break. During my Ladakh trip, I used a lanyard to keep them hanging around the neck, but that approach seems awkward in city rides or short trips. For these times, I prefer to have it attached to the belt loops; and nothing better than a handy carabiner.

The one that I have been using all these times, though is fit for use, but has lost its shine owing to usage all these years. Therefore I got a new one from Mototech, which would be now replacing the old one, for a secure tag at the loop.

P.s. : Not for climbing

Please enjoy the pics

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-img_20220928_1549440102.jpg

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-img_20220928_155036637_mf_portrait2.jpg

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-img_20220928_155234719_mf_portrait2.jpg

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-img_20220928_1556058492.jpg
Old 4th October 2022, 14:43   #613
Senior - BHPian

Today is a Special Day for my Amun-Ra and it's his 9th birthday
The day is also special since this is Durga Puja time, but unfortunately, I have not been able to take my Amun-Ra for Mother's blessing at the pandal. Not too sure how would the organizing committee members react to seeing an Enfield over there.

Happy Birthday Dear Amun-Ra

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-happy-birthday.jpg

A few gifts for Amun-Ra, are typically oils and fluids.

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-birthday-gift.jpg

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-oilsandcake.jpg

I have also realized that I should be investing in a front rim as the existing one has a couple of bad hits here and there, thanks to my over zealous Ladakh rides.
Old 9th October 2022, 10:56   #614
BHPian

Quote:
Personally, I do not believe that repaired stuff will be as good as a new one. Moreover, the result of repaired stuff is insanely dependent on the skill of the technician, which at times lacks, a great deal. My personal recommendation would be to go in for a new pair and continue enjoying the rides.

A few days back I replaced the shock absorbers of my UG1 Pulsar with Endurance. The stock was from Gabriel springs but since they were not available, I went for the Endurance stuff and am quite happy with the outcome. In fact, Bajaj packets also have Endurance products inside them. Just in case if the OEM is not available, you may consider a pair from Endurance.

Amazon Great Indian Festival means time to pamper my steeds with some fluids and juices and support. Motul C1+C2 (779); Motul 15W50 5100 (472*3); Liqui Moly Flush (178); Liqui Moly 4T (229); Taparia Socket Set (1899)

Once heck of a RM'22 coming in after all
My bullet 500 comes with endurance rear shocks. Is the pulsar 150 rear shocks compatible with the bullet 500?

If so, will there be any difference in ride quality and handling?

Last edited by Alfaholic : 9th October 2022 at 10:57.
Old 9th October 2022, 11:35   #615
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfaholic View Post
My bullet 500 comes with endurance rear shocks. Is the pulsar 150 rear shocks compatible with the bullet 500?

If so, will there be any difference in ride quality and handling?
The intention was to assist you with standard after market makers and Endurance is a reputed brand. Get one for Bullet and have that installed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks