Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2016, 20:36   #466
Senior - BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuelInjector View Post
congratulations. wishing you many more happy miles.
How is the vehicle holding up at 30K. any major issues?
Thank you FuelInjector.
Well I am pleased to say that there is no major issue but yes some points are pending and needs attention at the earliest.
  • Because of the accident that we had few months back, the front shocks needs to be closely checked / repaired along with the handle bar. There is no straight line stability and vehicle just swerves towards the left. Needs attention as soon as possible.
  • There is this constant metallic sound coming from the silencer covering metal plate, that is there near the brake pedal. I have replaced the stopper rubber for the brake pedal and also the two screws are firmly tightened. Still the sound comes (constant jhin jhin). Once I just pressed the metal cover with my leg just to identify the source, and the sound stopped. But unfortunately, I am just not able to get rid of that constant sound.
  • Just after the recent servicing, I obsered that some "tick tick" sound is coming from the front wheel. The sound is prominent when I am going over speed breakers or if i take some turns. On a straight patch, the sound is not much audible at all times. What can be the fault here?
Majumdarda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 09:45   #467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post
Thank you FuelInjector.

There is this constant metallic sound coming from the silencer covering metal plate, that is there near the brake pedal. I have replaced the stopper rubber for the brake pedal and also the two screws are firmly tightened. Still the sound comes (constant jhin jhin). Once I just pressed the metal cover with my leg just to identify the source, and the sound stopped. But unfortunately, I am just not able to get rid of that constant sound.
  • Just after the recent servicing, I obsered that some "tick tick" sound is coming from the front wheel. The sound is prominent when I am going over speed breakers or if i take some turns. On a straight patch, the sound is not much audible at all times. What can be the fault here?
sorry dada- am not an expert, but my quick suggestions
Did you check the mouth of the bend pipe where the exhaust is screwed onto? reason being, when i changed my exhaust recently, i found rust on the bolts that tighten the exhaust onto the mouth of the bend pipe.
Maybe worth removing, cleaning with kerosene and tightening it back?

if the tick-tick sound is coming while driving over uneven terrain and turns, then it has to do with two linear parts rubbing each other. since its more of a tick-tick it cannot be metal i would guess. maybe worth checking the pedometer/brake cables/ caliper or even the front forks where it goes into the telescopic arm.
FuelInjector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 11:17   #468
BHPian

HI,

This problem may not be related to what you have mentioned. But thought of putting my thoughts here.

I have continental GT. My bike was part of factory recall to replace the bend pipe which had catalytic converter. After giving the bike for third service Even im hearing the metal vibration sound. I have done enough Physical check to understand if there is something loose. Looks like its coming from inside. I have already given feedback to service center. Need to take my bike there. Not sure whether our problem is same.

but chiming sound of metal vibrating is coming inside the bend pipe.

Famouse RE niggles.
Endofdayz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 23:37   #469
BHPian

I know this jhinn jhinn sound very well. It has come into my life 5 times and I have resolved it all 5 times as well. One of the screws on the metal plate which is latched onto the silencer has fallen off. Its either the first or second screw after the bend in the silencer following which the silencer follows the road horizontally. When i first identified it, i was lazy not to do anything about it. I knew if i press the metal plate to the silencer by my foot the sound would go away. But the delay eventually got the loose screws to fall off and i had to get them replaced.

Can anyone help me with a weird sound Ob my Electra? The sound only comes up in one particular instance. When i go down a steep ramp/slope and i ride over the exact point where the slope ends and a horizontal road begins (where the front suspension compresses), i hear a distinct 'buduk buduk" sound from somewhere in the front. The problem wasn't there before i had an oil leak in my front suspension and it had to be opened up to replace the oil seal. Any ideas on what it can be?
rahul4321 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2016, 10:41   #470
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuelInjector View Post
sorry dada- am not an expert, but my quick suggestions
Did you check the mouth of the bend pipe where the exhaust is screwed onto? reason being, when i changed my exhaust recently, i found rust on the bolts that tighten the exhaust onto the mouth of the bend pipe.
Maybe worth removing, cleaning with kerosene and tightening it back?
Hello dear, Its not from the bend pipes for sure. Sorry for posting this reply late, as I am a bit engaged into some other activities as well. Please refer the below images.

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-1.jpg

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-2.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endofdayz View Post

but chiming sound of metal vibrating is coming inside the bend pipe.
Hi there, within the silencer pipes there are some mesh like substance, in hindi its called as "jaali". I have had faced the similar situation but only after considerable time of riding. You cannot replace this jaali thing but the only solution would be to replace the silencer extension (the part post the catalytic converter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4321 View Post
I know this jhinn jhinn sound very well.
Yes, thats another source of the sound and unfortunately no matter how much I tighten that up, it definitely will start making the contribution after some time. I am thinking of removing that plate all together and check if that makes any difference.

I also suspect that might be the gap between the brake pedal and that plate has reduced considerably after the main stand dampening rubber was replaced. Might be that the thickness of rubber used on a RE and a normal bike are different and probably the RE's rubber is thicker. The reason I suspect this is because that rubber was replaced from a non RE service station. Can that be a possibility gentlemen?

Please refer the images below :-

Normal position of the brake pedal and the metal plate.

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-3.jpg

Close inspection reveals that there is not much of a gap present, in fact they are touching.

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-4.jpg

If I slightly touch the brake pedal, then there is slight play and a gap is then observed as below. I think this should be the actual position of the pedal and the gap.

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-5.jpg

Now question remains whether the main stand dampening rubber is of lesser thickness or the brake pedal has bent inside (might be as once upon a time I had an accident and bike and fallen on this side, but not sure if the lever was impacted too)

Experts, please advise.
Old 2nd August 2016, 23:04   #471
Distinguished - BHPian

Majumdarda

About the brake pedal bumping into the exhaust shield, adjust it so that it sits lower, away from the shield.

In the photo below, notice the silver colored socket head screw and the lock nut that keeps it from turning.
This is the stop that positions the brake pedal arm when there is nothing pushing it down to apply the rear brake.

If you loosen the lock nut a few turns and then push the brake pedal down just a bit, you should be able to turn that socket head screw with your fingers.
If not, a hexagon Allen wrench will do the job nicely.

You should turn the socket head screw in so that the pedal arm clears the heat shield 2-3 mm.
Don't overdo it. 2-3 mm will solve the rubbing problem without causing the rear brake to be applied.
After you have the clearance adjusted, tighten up the lock nut and you've fixed it.
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-weldlcrack001web.jpg  

Last edited by ArizonaJim : 2nd August 2016 at 23:09.
ArizonaJim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2016, 22:27   #472
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
Thank you for your guidance. Please advise if you have meant the highlighted screw. I tried to move that with bare fingers but seems that I would have to get an allen.
Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-img_20160814_095219367001-1280x960.jpg

Amun-Ra all ready for the Independence Day Ride. I would have to get two flag poles but good options are not available. Seems I would have to get it done at the local shop. Any advise dear friends on best options.

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-magic_effect_1471152365469-1280x960.jpg
Old 14th August 2016, 23:30   #473
Distinguished - BHPian

Majumdarda

Yes, that's the one.

The screw requires a 6mm wrench.
ArizonaJim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2016, 13:20   #474
Senior - BHPian

Ultimately I could remove the screw and was surprised to see the rubber that had been put there. No wonder it was making the sounds. Looking at the condition and the thickness, I doubt if its at all meant for this purpose.

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-img_1095.jpg

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-img_1096.jpg

The Odometer bulb went kapoot at 331999

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-img_20160923_221438729.jpg

Amun-Ra has just been serviced and he has got a new Silencer this time, Monster. It was fitted just to enjoy some deep thump in the slow moving traffic and is an interim arrangement, till I get back to the stock. Stark observation is reduction in speed pickup. I wonder how much the mileage will be affected.

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-img_20160927_104209685.jpg

I also managed to get hold of one shop who has the stock handle of Standard Bullet [Part Number : 145989/B]. Today's intention is to get the current handle replaced with the Standard's and get that rubber dampener too.

A point worth mentioning, If anyone of you ever happen to meet with an accident, please do the damage assessment and cost estimation at a Bullet Service station only. My last year's accident is still giving me problems. The Rim out and the Fork out has been rectified and I was shocked to hear that there is a slight Chassis out as well. Though its not too damaging but yes, straight line stability is definitely not there. At the moment Amun-Ra is fixed 90% and I intend to keep it that way. It is to act as a sole pinch every time I ride so that I remember never ever to trust non-bullet technicians. Moreover I do not believe that Chassis Out can be rectified no matter how minimal it is and the only solution is to change it in entirety.

*-* I still wonder what was the impact then, that the chassis has bent too and I do not remember much, though I remember talking with the person, and getting back home riding pillion, after arranging for my Amun-Ra to be taken to a workshop *-*
Old 2nd October 2016, 16:45   #475
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
Majumdarda

Yes, that's the one.

The screw requires a 6mm wrench.
A weekend well spent. Ultimately I could get rid of that constant nagging sound and the satisfaction is immense, might be more as its my fingers which tasted the grease.

This is the new rubber stopper. It cost me Rupees 14 which I believe is too expensive. The price should not be more than 5, but alas!

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-img_20161002_111744115.jpg

The gap is perfect now without touching anything. Thanks for the inputs ArizonaJim.

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-img_20161002_145302425.jpg
Old 6th October 2016, 06:38   #476
Senior - BHPian

Happy 3rd Birthday Amun-Ra.
Old 6th October 2016, 17:10   #477
BHPian

Quote:
Happy 3rd Birthday Amun-Ra.
Congratulations Majumdarda and wishing happy birthday to Amun- Ra. I have been following your thread very closely since past 3 years. Something which convinced me to bring home Forest green Standard 500, which I managed to procure 6 Months ago. Thank you so much for regular updates.
Posting few pics of my Bullet and bike rides which I did around pune in past 6 months and 10700 on odo so far.
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-img_20160907_133055681.jpg  

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-img_1313.jpg  

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-img_20160923_140858471.jpg  

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-img_5075.jpg  

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-img_5087.jpg  

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-img_20160706_152000373.jpg  

Aniruddha_Ch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2016, 20:55   #478
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniruddha_Ch View Post
Congratulations Majumdarda and wishing happy birthday to Amun- Ra.
Thank you very much Aniruddha. I loved the third picture the most. Its just awesome. I also observed that the mirrors and your shockers seems to be having a tint. It cannot be rust and doubt it's mud, so high. By any chance, did you do anti rust coating?
Majumdarda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2016, 22:00   #479
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you very much Aniruddha. I loved the third picture the most. Its just awesome. I also observed that the mirrors and your shockers seems to be having a tint. It cannot be rust and doubt it's mud, so high. By any chance, did you do anti rust coating?
As far as third picture is concerned, that's all slush or wet mud you call, bike got stuck in slush till chain when I was went for offroading stint at Rajmachi, but what a thrilling experience it was.
And yes I do have temporary brown anti- rust treatment on chrome parts, something which I shall be removing after monsoon. Something which is not so common in Pune, I belong to places close to seaface but I stay in Pune.

Last edited by Aniruddha_Ch : 6th October 2016 at 22:01.
Old 6th October 2016, 22:47   #480
Senior - BHPian

I had actually meant the picture of your Bullet amongst the mist. The Rajmachi part I understood as many from my club goes there, excluding me as I have had the share and didn't enjoy much. Pls update the thread once you remove the anti rust coating with details about how it's removed practically and does it leave residue marks. Happy Thumping

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks