Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2015, 13:09   #406
Senior - BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddy View Post
When I ride in the rains and I am moving at crawling speeds the front of the bike feels very bumpy like something is stuck in the suspension.
Can you please elaborate on the bumpy feeling? Is it like a jerky feeling on the handlebar? Or are you feeling that the front end is jumping around like it is on springs without dampers?

Hope you have made sure that the tyre pressure is correct.
man_of_steel is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2015, 13:31   #407
BHPian

Quote:
I somehow don't think its the engine/spark plug. The front feels bumpy while the engine is perfectly okay. It feels like just the front wheel is moving over a patch of bad road. I think its the forks that generate this. Not really sure though.
If you can rule out the engine missing, the machine hopping in rain could be due to the issue of a soaked up brake pad touching a particular point in the disc. The vibration will be felt at low speeds and the whole problem vanishes in higher speeds and when the brake pad dries up after the rain.

Next time when you get the symptom, put the motorcycle in center stand, get some one push down on the backside of the motorcycle to get the front wheel in the air and check brake pad binding by rotating the front wheel. If it does, then it is time to clean up the disc brake assembly.

If it is a bad fork, then the vibration will be constant irrespective of speed and climate.

Last edited by adrian : 20th July 2015 at 13:35.
adrian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2015, 14:43   #408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Can you please elaborate on the bumpy feeling? Is it like a jerky feeling on the handlebar? Or are you feeling that the front end is jumping around like it is on springs without dampers?

Hope you have made sure that the tyre pressure is correct.
The bumpy feeling is like something brushing against the front tyre and makes the front vibrate a little like I went over something uneven, I can feel this on the handle bar. The suspension seems fine, I did a lot of testing . Tyre pressure is correct , front 22 psi, rear 32 psi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
If you can rule out the engine missing, the machine hopping in rain could be due to the issue of a soaked up brake pad touching a particular point in the disc. The vibration will be felt at low speeds and the whole problem vanishes in higher speeds and when the brake pad dries up after the rain.

Next time when you get the symptom, put the motorcycle in center stand, get some one push down on the backside of the motorcycle to get the front wheel in the air and check brake pad binding by rotating the front wheel. If it does, then it is time to clean up the disc brake assembly.

If it is a bad fork, then the vibration will be constant irrespective of speed and climate.
Thanks Adrian. That's the exact feeling, like something is stuck and the front vibrates at specific time intervals as if the bike is going over a bad patch.

The feeling comes only when its raining and at low speeds. High speeds this is gone and when the weather is dry this is non existent. But as you said I did put my bike on the main stand and asked my buddy to put down the rear and rotated the front wheel, sadly nothing was found. I checked all linkages, all bolts and even the tyre for any rubbing/brushing over the front mudguard. But nothing. If it was the disk pad it would have made sound right? Also, would the disk pad rubbing on the disc generate a vibration?
Siddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2015, 15:03   #409
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
....That's the exact feeling, like something is stuck and the front vibrates at specific time intervals as if the bike is going over a bad patch.
....I checked all linkages, all bolts and even the tyre for any rubbing/brushing over the front mudguard. But nothing. If it was the disk pad it would have made sound right? Also, would the disk pad rubbing on the disc generate a vibration?
If you are sure that the feeling is from the front end and the above tests did not reveal anything, it would be the right time to check the front wheel bearing.

The brake pad will be always rubbing against the rotor in a disc brake system, it will be a smooth rubbing without any vibrations or sounds if the rotor is in good shape without any warps.
Old 20th July 2015, 15:27   #410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
If you are sure that the feeling is from the front end and the above tests did not reveal anything, it would be the right time to check the front wheel bearing.
Thanks man_of_steel.
The strange feeling is completely gone when the bike is dry or at high speeds when wet. Then would it be the wheel bearing? I will still get it checked. My bike has run 4300 kilometers, possibility of a failed bearing sounds pretty less as i ride mostly on the highways. What do you think?

Last edited by Siddy : 20th July 2015 at 15:29.
Old 21st July 2015, 12:00   #411
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks man_of_steel.
The strange feeling is completely gone when the bike is dry or at high speeds when wet. Then would it be the wheel bearing?
Never experienced this only-when-wet syndrome. But bearing is a possible culprit. I can't think of anything else if you are sure that the feeling is coming from the front of the bike.

Quote:
My bike has run 4300 kilometers, possibility of a failed bearing sounds pretty less as i ride mostly on the highways. What do you think?
Sorry if it sounds offensive, but ee are talking about a Royal Enfield here. As per my experience, part life need not necessarily be associated with the mileage or usage pattern of an RE.
Old 22nd July 2015, 03:17   #412
Distinguished - BHPian

Siddy:
How much tread depth does you front tyre have?

If the tyre is greatly worn with less than 2mm of tread depth, water will be unable to escape from the area between the tyre and the road.

Even at low speeds, this can cause the tyre to temporarily hydroplane slightly which can create the uneven feeling you are experiencing.

Although hydroplaning will actually increase as the speed of the motorcycle increases, other vibrations and sounds can blot out the feelings felt thru the handlebars, making the ride seem smoother.
ArizonaJim is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2015, 09:49   #413
BHPian

Hey Jim,
The tread depth is good, I checked the tyre thoroughly for any cuts, rubbing marks against the front metal mudguard. Everything is absolutely fine.

I think that water seeps into the upside down fork and causes that feeling and when the bike dries its gone. Is this possible?
Old 22nd July 2015, 10:12   #414
BHPian

Quote:
I checked all linkages, all bolts and even the tyre for any rubbing/brushing over the front mudguard. But nothing. If it was the disk pad it would have made sound right? Also, would the disk pad rubbing on the disc generate a vibration?
I hope you checked the motorcycle when the symptom were still there; i.e. when it was fully rain soaked. A disk pad rubbing on the disc would generate vibrations enough to be felt on the handlebars and a rain soaked pad won't squeel.
Quote:

I think that water seeps into the upside down fork and causes that feeling and when the bike dries its gone. Is this possible?
The forks in the bullets are not upside down. The fork sleeves gives the illusion that the forks are upside down. Check the forks of RE Electra. That is what you got with sleeves on them.

The way to identify and solve a problem is not to get prejudiced. Happened many times with me. We think that the problem is definitely with a particular part of the machine and focus our full attention to that area only, thereby missing the solution that lies somewhere else. An overall view is always the best. Please don't take it offensive, but I think you are focused on the forks. All the best to tackle with your mystery problem.

regards adrian

Last edited by adrian : 22nd July 2015 at 10:13.
adrian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2015, 11:22   #415
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
I hope you checked the motorcycle when the symptom were still there; i.e. when it was fully rain soaked. A disk pad rubbing on the disc would generate vibrations enough to be felt on the handlebars and a rain soaked pad won't squeel.

The forks in the bullets are not upside down. The fork sleeves gives the illusion that the forks are upside down. Check the forks of RE Electra. That is what you got with sleeves on them.

The way to identify and solve a problem is not to get prejudiced.
Thanks Adrian, what you said is actually right. I was always focused on the forks & never really investigated the other stuff fully. The forks not being upside down was something I learnt today I will check the disc pads in wet again. Its a vibration felt at regular intervals and I think its something brushing/rubbing somewhere. I'll keep you guys updated. Thanks for the all the help again
Siddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 02:15   #416
Senior - BHPian

A small status update.

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-aviary_1438114659341.jpg

The odometer had stopped working at this reading. Initially I had presumed that the cable needs to be replaced, but then there was this slight "tick tick" sound coming from the front wheels as well. Off I went to the service station and it was identified that the levers/gear (whatever they say) at the point where the cable is fitted onto the front wheel is not working. They showed me that when the tire is rotated, the gear should also move, but it was not. Also it was identified and suggested to have the cable replaced as it has become quite sturdy. So both were removed and now everything is working fine with the odometer giving proper reading.

Also the lock for the battery cover had somehow came off and I noticed the plate without the lock. Though the fitting was quite tight and even I covered quite some distance with that missing lock, but it was advised to have the lock replaced asap as the plate is very hard to get. So the same was replaced as well (Battery cover lock)

Total cost to pocket : INR 540

Pending work : Battery replacement.
Old 29th July 2015, 23:39   #417
Senior - BHPian

***Attention needed as Amun-Ra is stalled now***

Early this morning (after my office) while returning home, I noticed all off a sudden Amun-Ra is trying to stop. It was also raining at that time. I did not allow the engine to die (thank God!) but switched from High beam to Low. Engine became normal again. I rode a few kilometers and again tried switching to High Beam and the same stalling sound came up. I quickly changed to Low Beam and came home.

Here its worth mentioning that when I switched to high beam, the engine lights (headlight and console lights) got all dimmed, engine sounded was as if I have stopped the petrol suddenly and as the bike was in 5th gear [approx 70+kmph], the engine tried to go into a rapid degraded inertia.

At the parking, I started Amun-Ra and then switched to High Beam. The engine died smoothly. Tried the ignition key again, but the neutral light just won't come up. I was too tired and therefore off I went to sleep with a determination to replace the battery "today"!

Later in the day, we went out for a 12V14A from Exide, got completely drenched in the process (rain ride on Pulsar), paid INR 2647/- for a fresh piece and installed the same around 3 PM. [ DIY:- for connecting battery terminals, probably best is to first install the connects and then apply the white grease . Learnt it the hard way as the terminal, screw alignment, weight etc had their own sweet game with me]

But still Amun-Ra won't start with the new battery and no green light for neutral. Quickly I checked the fuses and there was the culprit, 15amp fuse blown off (the blue one). Replaced the same with the stock and now she could be started.

This evening before coming to office, I just wanted to make sure everything is OK and so turned on the ignition and switched on the lights to high beam. Kapoot. Fuse blown away. So my spare is gone now and had to park her back.

So here are my queries :-
  1. The 15amp blue fuse getting blown repeatedly, can it be related to the high beam (as in low beam, it works fine) ?
  2. The headlight casing was opened yesterday for the odometer wire replacement. Can that have any role in this?
  3. The headlight bulbs are all stock with the tiger lamps changed to LEDs. But this had been done more than a year back. Could that be related anyhow?
  4. And most importantly, How to have a permanent fix to this problem? [do not want to be stalled in the middle of the road]

Experts, please advise.
Old 30th July 2015, 00:31   #418
Distinguished - BHPian

Most likely, the high beam wire became pinched by something and whatever pinched it is now grounding it.
This was undoubtedly done when the headlight casing was opened.

Loosen the screw on top of the chrome headlight ring and swing the headlight out and down to allow you to see inside the casing.

Pay particular attention to the blue wire (high beam) coming from the rear of the headlight and follow it to where it disappears into the wiring harness.

I suspect you will see the location where the blue wiring insulation was cut.

If you find it, tape it up using a good plastic electrical tape and you'll be back on the road again.
ArizonaJim is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th July 2015, 01:46   #419
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
I suspect you will see the location where the blue wiring insulation was cut.
Thank you very much Jim for your so fast response. I also suspected something related to the headlight assembly when it was removed for the cabling part. Now I have to check it once I go back home. Thank you again, for clearly stating the color of wire I am expected to look for
Old 1st August 2015, 04:31   #420
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
...the high beam wire became pinched by something and whatever pinched it is now grounding it.
This was the exact case and now it has been fixed with deliberate black taping. Amun-Ra is back on roads enjoying the rains thoroughly. Thank you Jim again

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks