Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2015, 16:29   #436
Senior - BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuelInjector View Post
dada - am glad you are safe. Helmets are a riders best friend. The studds dickey looks nice on the bullet. Since its covered, it should protect things from the rain too. Do you carry it on when on long trips or do you prefer saddle bags?
Thank you dear for your wishes. These dickys are not large enough for long rides. For long distance ones, where you need to carry literally extra of everything, saddle bags are good. By the way, are you going to Goa this time, for the Rider Mania? As you have asked about saddle bag, so wanted to know.
Old 17th November 2015, 16:35   #437
Senior - BHPian

First of all,glad to note that you are safe and Amun Ra has come out with minimal damages.Regarding the handle you have fitted,it's from the classic.The standard has a higher handle.
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2015, 16:40   #438
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post
By the way, are you going to Goa this time, for the Rider Mania?
no. But am doing a solo to Rameswaram
Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-tripplan.jpg
Old 17th November 2015, 16:41   #439
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
First of all,glad to note that you are safe and Amun Ra has come out with minimal damages.Regarding the handle you have fitted,it's from the classic.The standard has a higher handle.
Ah, now I got it. Thank you Rakesh. I was any ways planning to go for a handle change, [something that gives a more upright and broad posture, it has some wierdo name, cannot recollect at the moment] guess it has to wait for some days, now that there is already a new one
Old 17th November 2015, 16:43   #440
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ah, now I got it. Thank you Rakesh. I was any ways planning to go for a handle change, [something that gives a more upright and broad posture, it has some wierdo name, cannot recollect at the moment] guess it has to wait for some days, now that there is already a new one
I guess it's called the RD handle.I am using one which gives me a nice broad posture.
Old 18th November 2015, 10:52   #441
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuelInjector View Post
no. But am doing a solo to Rameswaram
Attachment 1440671
Wow, please share some details about the route plan. Also post your journey do not forget to feed us with your travelogue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
I guess it's called the RD handle.I am using one which gives me a nice broad posture.
Yes, probably so. It has that rod in the middle. People say that there are thin rods and thicker ones and that the thicker ones give more stability. Please can you share an image so that I can be sure. How much you brought it from and was that locally or sourced?

By the way, are you going for Goa by any chance?
Old 18th November 2015, 12:01   #442
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, probably so. It has that rod in the middle. People say that there are thin rods and thicker ones and that the thicker ones give more stability. Please can you share an image so that I can be sure. How much you brought it from and was that locally or sourced?

By the way, are you going for Goa by any chance?
The one I am using is of a thicker one,and yes it does wade off some of the vibrations.Attached a pic of my bike.
I will not be going to Goa this time,maybe next year.
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-ds_1.jpg  

rakesh_r is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th November 2015, 12:12   #443
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The handlebar you are referring to is known as an Extended RD 350 handlebar with a rod in the middle. The Extended RD 350 handlebar also comes without the rod in the middle. There is another normal variant called simply the RD 350 handlebar. I have the normal RD 350 handlebar fitted on my two Standard CI's. The ease of ride, comfort and the feel they provide is unmatched. You can google up the name for extended RD 350 handlebar and you can see the pictures. These handlebars are locally made and available at most RE accessory shops. In the ballpark they may cost around 300-800 bucks depending on the quality.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2015, 14:43   #444
Senior - BHPian

Disk pads changed again at 23640. Also the fuel pipe was changed as it had become hard.

It seems that the front wheel has become off balance, though straight line stability is not impacted. I will have to check at some MRF stores. Reason for deducing this is because front wheel looks wobbly when riding and looking from top.
Old 26th November 2015, 14:49   #445
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
..this is because front wheel looks wobbly when riding and looking from top.
Reseat the tyre and check if the problem persists.
Old 20th January 2016, 18:45   #446
Senior - BHPian

A huge cost to my pocket and all because my usual service technician (Ramesh) did something which he was not supposed to do.

Some months back I had updated the thread with an issue regarding the Swing arm bush. Now at the time of the replacement, the guy just put some metal bush in there. All this resulted in the bolt getting cracked again and within a kilometre range of 3000 approx on the odometer.

I observed this on the morning of the 16th after I noticed a tire leak. While the same was being repaired, I just observed that one side of the bush arm cap (the shinning plastic part) was missing. Surprised with the part missing, I sat down for a closer inspection and to my utter disbelief and surprise , "The bolt is missing from the right side". For a few seconds I just could not believe as to what I was seeing. Shocked and surprised, I tried pushing the rod from the left side, and there were a few millimetres of inward movement. Just imagine my condition! My office would be over by the dead of night and that time I would have nothing if the rear tire just comes out all of a sudden.

Anyways, with confidence I started my return to home around 12 am, drove with a speed of around 20-30 kmph and reached home safely. That journey back home, for a mere 15 kilometres, can probably be termed as one of the most anxious ones. Next day being Sunday, Ramesh's shop is closed. Somehow on Monday, I was not too convinced to call him up and enquired with a few of my rider buddies and went at Platiinum to get the problem addressed. Now this was an approximate distance of 14 odd kilometres, and I do not remember how much time I took to reach or how many times I got down to check if the rod is in place, and push it back in at times (mental peace!!).

As the visit was pre intimated, Amun-Ra was attended to asap but everybody had this question that why I took the risk to ride him down here? Well its my Amun-Ra and that answers everything. I felt that I should not desert him at that hour.

And then the moment of truth, they called me in and showed me the swing arm bush. I was explained the working of the part, the various parts involved in that hollow cylinder and their role. and after all this, I was informed that during the last time of repairing, the plastic white part has been replaced with some metallic part. The result (as per my understanding) is that as metal is rigid, it took all the movements/jerks that happen inside the swing arm and as it could not dissipate the force, the bolt at the right side along with part of the rod, broke off. Furthermore, the part just could not be removed even with hammering or heat and pressure. As a result of this and a considerable loss of at least a couple of hours (as all possible solutions were being tried) decision was taken to replace the part all together.

Observation : All this could have been avoided if Ramesh would not have inserted the metal part instead of the plastic part. But why did he do this? I was a regular customer at his service centre and have suggested him to my friends too. If the part was not available with him, then probably he could have told me and we could have chalked out a suitable date and time. But he chose to replace the part with some thing not acceptable, resulting in huge loss of both money and time.

Total cost to pocket : Six thousand odd (as there were many other things to be done too and parts with RE are expensive). I plan to share the breakup and the images soon.

Few more "future" cost expenses are as follows :-
  • Front wheel allignment with adjusting the screws of the spokes (accident impact which was ignored by Ramesh, thus resulting in wobbling)
  • Rear wheel adjustment because of the swing arm bush fault.
  • Front shocker adjustment as there is slight bent in one direction, resulting in effecting straight line stability.
  • Handle to be replaced as well.
Majumdarda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2016, 21:30   #447
BHPian

Quote:
A huge cost to my pocket and all because my usual service technician (Ramesh) did something which he was not supposed to do.
Lucky that you reached home in one piece.

The mechanic needs permanent replacement.
Old 23rd February 2016, 01:00   #448
Senior - BHPian

I was hearing some metallic sound coming from the front end of Amun-Ra. At the service centre it was deduced as "some nets within the silencer barrel" is ruptured and therefore silencer needs replacement. Luckily I had the stock one with me and thus it was replanted back. No more irritating sounds. A very surprised observation post the silencer replacement, is the lessening of the vibrations and knocking at low RPMs. I am loving the smooth sound of Amun-Ra now. Some images definitely

After a thorough cleaning

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-1.jpg

Latest picture at the company's basement

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-2.jpg

A point worth mentioning is that once I removed the addon-silencer, below were the words mentioned at the underneath. Its quite surprising for me and would appreciate if anybody can throw some more light onto that.

"
FOR CLOSED COURSE RACING ONLY
NOT FOR ROAD USE
"
Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-3.jpg

Best regards,
Old 23rd February 2016, 08:25   #449
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

"
FOR CLOSED COURSE RACING ONLY
NOT FOR ROAD USE
"
Attachment 1479419

Best regards,
The exhaust you had fitted does not meet noise pollution norms that the bikes have to meet when rolled out from the factory.
So this is a standard statement saying indirectly that you have fitted an after-market system and that RE is not responsible for not meeting noise norms.
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2016, 09:42   #450
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was hearing some metallic sound coming from the front end of Amun-Ra. At the service centre it was deduced as "some nets within the silencer barrel" is ruptured and therefore silencer needs replacement. Luckily I had the stock one with me and thus it was replanted back. No more irritating sounds. A very surprised observation post the silencer replacement, is the lessening of the vibrations and knocking at low RPMs. I am loving the smooth sound of Amun-Ra now.
Exactly the reason why all my RE motorcycles still sport the stock exhaust that came from the factory. When someone tells me there's no thump(loud sound as per their parlance) in your motorcycle, I just smile at them and leave it at that.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks