Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2015, 13:15   #376
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"

Finished my first servicing yesterday! the bike has indeed got butter smooth. Went for a ride up to Amby valley and relived my old days.

One small thing i noticed was the missing rubber bush at the end of the pillion grab rail and the service fellow told me they will eventually fall off due to the vibrations and dont bother to fit them. I am just concerned if this open end would invite rust during rains. Any comments on this observation?
Old 9th February 2015, 17:01   #377
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddy View Post
Finished my first servicing yesterday! the bike has indeed got butter smooth. Went for a ride up to Amby valley and relived my old days.

One small thing i noticed was the missing rubber bush at the end of the pillion grab rail and the service fellow told me they will eventually fall off due to the vibrations and dont bother to fit them. I am just concerned if this open end would invite rust during rains. Any comments on this observation?
I have also observed mine missing , but it definitely was very much present. Might be because of the vibrations or might be because of poking eyes. That open end is definitely a concern, now that you have highlighted the same. Might be applying some grease to the inner walls, to the extent possible and then rubbing off the finger on the outside will prevent rust. Please do let me know if someone has a better idea, without marring the looks.

Regards,
Old 10th February 2015, 11:01   #378
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post
Please do let me know if someone has a better idea, without marring the looks.

Regards,
I found a solution for this Went to a hardware store yesterday and picked up plastic plugs that perfectly fit on the end. These plugs are similar to the plastic plugs on metal furniture ends. Only problem is they are white in color. But that's okay as long as it works and keeps the rust away
Old 10th February 2015, 13:40   #379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddy View Post
...Went to a hardware store yesterday and picked up plastic plugs that perfectly fit on the end. These plugs are similar to the plastic plugs on metal furniture ends.
Please can you share some images to have a fair understanding, how the final outcome is. Colors do not matter, as they can be recolored.

Regards,
Old 10th February 2015, 14:09   #380
BHPian

Quote:
Please can you share some images to have a fair understanding, how the final outcome is. Colors do not matter, as they can be recolored.

Regards,
As you can see its a small white plastic cap which fits on top of the open end. I had to shave off some plastic from the cap's rim on the inside to fit the cap perfectly. The color does not not look odd at all.
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-white-plastic-cap.jpg  

Siddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2015, 16:36   #381
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Completed the Fourth Free (so called) servicing today.
On a second thought, if I fit the R.V.Ms of Avenger, will it be able to give me a shake less, stable image? Some inputs please.
I am using Avenger RVMS on my DS 500. They are indeed very much less prone to vibes.
rakesh_r is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2015, 18:56   #382
BHPian

I've ridden almost 1150 kilometers and no major complaints so far.

I hear this faint knock which disappears when the bike picks up speed. The knock is typically heard when I accelerate and more prominent with a pillion and under load. Its pretty rhythmic. Not sure if its the valve train making this noise. The intensity of the sound is decreasing as I ride more. The sound is pretty low and not bothersome. Experts, any idea what this could be? or is my guess right?
Old 27th February 2015, 09:39   #383
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
I am using Avenger RVMS on my DS 500. They are indeed very much less prone to vibes.
Thank you Rakesh. So I will try with some Avenger RVMs, only if they would have been round, it would have complimented the look as well. But a stable image is most important. Thank you for your inputs.

My Amun-Ra is under wraps at the time, after a thorough cleanup and polishing. Will take him out after the 10/12th March.

Regards,
Old 9th April 2015, 08:24   #384
Senior - BHPian

Status Update :-

My Amun-Ra has completed more than 17k on the odo till date. Because of some other priorities, long rides or ride with my bullet buddies have taken a back seat now. Amun-Ra is behaving perfectly well and probably its the time to go for another small change/tweaking. Planning is still in the horizon though, but at times the "dug-dug" is missed a lot. Obviously with today's days bullets that sound is not at all possible, but still, somewhere down the heart-lane, that sound is missed. Lets see, I will keep you posted.

Guys, who have purchased B500s, I do not see any threads coming up of late, please share your experiences for all to enjoy and get benefited.

Take care and wishing you all safe rides, always.
Old 7th May 2015, 18:15   #385
Senior - BHPian

Status Update :-

Amun-Ra is riding perfectly well though there was a small incident which I would describe here.

I was going from Point a to point b, when all of a sudden there was a sudden peculiar sound coming from the rear tire. Though I was riding pretty slow then but as I was in a busy intersection, so had to ride to the roadside, a mere 10-15 secs venture. A few passersby also confirmed that something is rubbing at my wheels. Put Amun-Ra on the mains and with humble request to her not for anything serious, I started looking and poking. Nothing was visible unless I moved the rear wheel in the opposite direction.

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-img20150424wa0029.jpg

Yes, dear all, this is the plastic chain guard, which somehow got misaligned from its fitting and came into the moving chain, thus producing the irritating sound and ultimately breaking off. This is the second time I have faced problem with this specific part. Earlier also it had got misaligned (though did not come off), and the service center guys re positioned it back. Without going to the facts of RE quality and factors, below is what I am interested to know.

> Amun-Ra is running without this chain guard. Should I have another one installed, lest the chain comes off (looks wobbly without this piece of plastic :( )

> What is the role of this plastic chain guard. I am asking because it only covers the chain for approximately 25% of the entire length.

> Has anybody else faced this problem too? What was the solution imparted?

Regards,
Old 8th May 2015, 04:17   #386
Distinguished - BHPian

The main purpose of the chain guard is to keep fingers and clothing from getting caught in the chain and to prevent chain lube from being thrown all over the rear of the motorcycle.

The plastic chain guard on the CGT has been identified by owners as one of the few really poorly designed pieces on the motorcycle.
Even so, I would replace it with a new one.

Speaking of new chain guards, there is a company which is producing a really nice, chrome plated, steel one. It is rather expensive and would be even more expensive to get into India. Here is a link to this guard.

http://www.cb750cafe.com/products-pa...ontinental-gt/

I'm showing the link to give you an idea of what the design could be.
This design does little to keep things out of the chain but it does keep the chain lube off of the rear of the motorcycle and, being made from steel it is much more robust than the OEM guard.

Knowing there are many craftsmen in India who could produce something similar at a low cost and they could keep it even less expensive by painting it flat black rather than chrome plating it, it might give you an idea.
ArizonaJim is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th May 2015, 16:39   #387
Senior - BHPian

Just now came across the below option as an after market fitting from a pretty well known site. The price is 1050/- but this is of brass. Please advise how much will this serve? Look wise, it probably will look awful and I personally do not have any fascination for brass items. But till now I have not been able to find a metallic black chain guard.
Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-guard.jpg
Old 15th May 2015, 09:36   #388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Rakesh. So I will try with some Avenger RVMs, only if they would have been round, it would have complimented the look as well. But a stable image is most important. Thank you for your inputs.
Majumdarda Mate I have my 1996 Standard CI 350 fitted with Bajaj Avenger/Eliminitor rear view mirrors. I have them installed since the last 5 years and believe me they in every way better than the OEM round mirrors of RE. It does vibrate but not as much as the OEM RE RVM's. The quality of Avenger RVM's is top notch, there is not even a single rust spot (I stay in Bombay very near to Juhu beach) on my chrome mirrors during the last 5 years of ownership. Apart from this they also cover a wider area and gives a clear and open view. My suggestion go for it. It would complement your lovely forest green metallic color B500.

Quote:
But till now I have not been able to find a metallic black chain guard.
I am not sure if we can retrofit the RE OEM old metal chain guard that is present on my three Standard CI's and one AVL Tbird. It would be worth a try .
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2015, 10:01   #389
BHPian

Quote:
But till now I have not been able to find a metallic black chain guard.
Attachment 1370485
There's one available on eBay for INR 550.
Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-blackchainguard.jpg
outofthebox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2015, 12:38   #390
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofthebox View Post
There's one available on eBay for INR 550.
Attachment 1370798
Thank you mate. Just sent a question to the seller, for the type of material (metal / plastic) and will it be a direct fit for my Amun-Ra.
Majumdarda is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks