Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2019, 21:52   #526
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"

In my opinion, excessive loads are only one reason for a ball or roller bearing to fail. While adding additional bearings will lessen or eliminate this type of failure there is a negative side to what can happen.
Rolling element bearings be they ball, roller or needle, work best when they are constantly loaded. When this happens, there is little chance that the rolling element will skid or slide rather than rolling as it should. With little or no load on the elements there is a good likelihood that they will skid.

When a rolling element does skid the very small area of the rolling element that is in contact with the bearing race will be flattened or galled. Although the point of damage is very small, this becomes a point of failure because once this has happened the ball or roller is no longer perfectly round.
Because it is no longer round, the damaged area will increase in size every time it contacts the bearing race. This will lead to a total failure of the bearing.

I mention this because by installing multiple bearings, the load on both of the bearings will be reduced. In fact, one of them may not be subjected to any load at all making skidding and the subsequent damage that it can cause more likely.

Bearing sizes are carefully chosen by the designers so they will never be overloaded in any anticipated environment so, while the idea of adding additional bearings might seem to be a good idea, the possible failure mode I just described makes it a questionable one.
ArizonaJim is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2019, 08:39   #527
Senior - BHPian

The Madras Stripes should go well with my Amun-Ra.
Just could not resist the temptation. And ISI plus DOT certification is an added advantage!

This one is not going to be used regularly, but just ocassionally.

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-inshot_20191208_154245144.jpg

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-inshot_20191208_154343666.jpg

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-inshot_20191208_154443181.jpg

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-inshot_20191208_154632061.jpg
Majumdarda is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th December 2019, 23:17   #528
Senior - BHPian

A small observation (at 49k+ on the odo)

At times it seems that the ES is not working for Amun-Ra.

So when does this occur?

Lets say I have started my Amun-Ra and for some reason, I had to kill the ignition soon. Now if I again try to start via the ES, I am getting no response after pressing the start button, even though light etc all work well. This apparently has got no relation on the time of the day, as the issue has been observed both at the start of the day, or after riding for some time (in this case, I had stopped Amun-Ra, then started him and had to kill the ignition; now when I attempt to restart, the ES does not work.)

My habit is to kill the ignition by the switch and not the key. But there seems to be no loose connection over there.

Workaround is to start via the KS.

The battery is pretty new and nothing seems to be amiss here. Experts please advise what might be the possible root cause here. and the solution.
Old 30th December 2019, 23:29   #529
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post
now when I attempt to restart
Put your hearing to the test, when you thumb the starter do you hear the starter relay 'CLICK'?

Regards,
A.P.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 31st December 2019 at 02:51. Reason: Edited text removed as requested.
Old 31st December 2019, 00:10   #530
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Put your hearing to the test, when you thumb the starter do you hear the starter relay 'CLICK'?

When the ES fails, there is no click sound.

Well, to put in a much more simpler version, are you suggesting that there might be some loose cable ends?

Pretty surprising since the ES works at the first start of the day, or if Amun-Ra has been parked for long. It only fails when the engine has been switched off and then I trying to restart again. (if I wait for sometime, then no issues, but who has time to wait). KS works fine here.

'Clutch Switch' : Are you referring another switch here? Sorry for being pretty naive here, but was not aware that we have a clutch switch too. Where can I find this one please.
Majumdarda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2019, 00:41   #531
BANNED

Quote:
When the ES fails, there is no click sound.

Well, to put in a much more simpler version, are you suggesting that there might be some loose cable ends?

Pretty surprising since the ES works at the first start of the day, or if Amun-Ra has been parked for long. It only fails when the engine has been switched off and then I trying to restart again. (if I wait for sometime, then no issues, but who has time to wait). KS works fine here.

'Clutch Switch' : Are you referring another switch here? Sorry for being pretty naive here, but was not aware that we have a clutch switch too. Where can I find this one please.
Please disregard the information I'd added after editing my original post, there are a lot of inaccuracies in it, have reported the same to the mods to do the needful.

Coming to the issue at hand, for the starter motor to work it needs power.

Your battery is connected to your starter relay that supplies power to your starter motor, and since the relay is a mechanical one, every time you thumb the starter your relay CLICKS and power is transferred to the starter motor.

So basically if your relay doesn't click then that means it is not working and power isn't being transferred to your starter motor.

If by chance the relay CLICKS but nothing happens, then you bypass the starter relay and directly power the starter motor, if it works fine then your relay is at fault even though its clicking.

Now comes the safety switches, the Neutral Switch and Clutch Switch being types of them, Clutch Switch is the switch found on the clutch yoke, you can usually spot a connector that is connected to your clutch yoke, this ensures that only when the switch is engaged the ground circuit completes.

In your case since the relay doesn't CLICK, my best guess is that your concern would be resolved once the relay gets replaced.

Now the relay is mechanical meaning there are moving parts inside it, and its quite common for it to get stuck, and going by your description I'm presuming that it gets stuck when used in succession.

Hope that helps, and sorry for my initial post, in my hurry to beat the edit time-out I messed up.

Regards,
A.P.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 31st December 2019 at 00:58.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2020, 12:50   #532

Quote:
At last, my Amun-Ra found a good technician who can do a proper servicing. Odo reading at time of servicing : 47500. Ran a few KMs after that and I am now satisfied with the idling sound and other issues being taken care. Not much of an work was required but the lack or efficient knowledge with these so called Bullet Experts and Service technicians was just screwing my patience and peace. I had to literally wait for more than a year to get my Amun-Ra, run as per my expectations. ....

Hello Majumadarda
Can you help me find a good mechanic-Workshop in Pune. I stay in Baner and am closing a deal on a pre-owned 2015 Std 500 Green color., done only 7K on ODO.
Will need to do few improvements after I buy it. Am looking for a mechanic who is technically sound and passionate.
Thanks in advance : )

Last edited by khan_sultan : 16th January 2020 at 12:52. Reason: trimmed quoted post
rahuldongre is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2020, 10:36   #533
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahuldongre View Post
Hello Majumadarda
Can you help me find a good mechanic-Workshop in Pune. I stay in Baner and am closing a deal on a pre-owned 2015 Std 500 Green color., done only 7K on ODO.
Will need to do few improvements after I buy it. Am looking for a mechanic who is technically sound and passionate.
Thanks in advance : )
Hello Rahul, You can try the shop where I am getting my Bullet serviced. Nice knowledgeable guy. At least have been able to satisfy my needs. Give a try.

https://www.google.co.in/maps/place/....8156339?hl=en

Shop No. 1, A-Wing, Siddhi Park, Sai Chowk, Shirode Rd, Adarsh Nagar, New Sanghavi, Pimpri-Chinchwad, Maharashtra 411027
Majumdarda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 12:05   #534
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDrive lover View Post
Hello Majumdarda,
How is your Amu-ra doing! Hope fine. Would love to hear from you. Yours was one of the earliest Bullet 500 threads! if I remember correctly! .
Hello sir, Thank you for your message. Amun-Ra is running perfectly fine. Owing to the terrible situation these days, not much of rides are possible. Just before the onset, I had changed both the tires of Amun-Ra, with approximately 50K on the odo.
These days, I have learnt that one can remove small rust from the Chrome parts manually at home. So what I do, is try opening one accessory from my Amun-Ra, then bring it home and try removing the rust, making sure that the chrome is not getting damaged. The finishing is acceptable I can say. But obvious, for rust which are pretty deep this will not work much, but thankfully such a scenario has not creeped yet.

I have also realized that its time that I change the seat assembly. The existing one looks pretty awful as its torn at places. I had also changed the backrest to a slightly raised one for more safety, but these after market fittings do not have much of "quality" control.

The last Sunday, I had removed the leg guard to understand how Amun-Ra looks without those. There is definitely a lot of weight reduction. There were rust marks here and there, which I have been able to remove.

Below are probably few of the things in pipeline:
  1. A new seat assembly
  2. A new back rest / refit the original one
  3. A new leg guard / drive sans one
  4. A complete detailing work that was done initially on my Amun-Ra. Unfortunately I have lost contact with those gentlemen.
So yes, thats the current status with Amun-Ra and we both are waiting for the situation to improve.

Thank you for going through all these
Old 23rd September 2020, 12:55   #535
BHPian

Quote:
...I had changed both the tires of Amun-Ra, with approximately 50K on the odo.
So which tyres did you finally get and how is the riding
experience? The lockdown started before I got the tyres on my Classic 500 changed and now it doesn't look like I'll be doing anything about that in a hurry. I have ridden all of 500m since March.
Roy.S is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 13:07   #536
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy.S View Post
So which tyres did you finally get and how is the riding
experience? The lockdown started before I got the tyres on my Classic 500 changed and now it doesn't look like I'll be doing anything about that in a hurry. I have ridden all of 500m since March.
After all the inputs and by the time the Lazybones got some momentum, it was well within the lockdown period. The tires were changed on 13th July and I continued with the stock options.
C 120/80 18
FM 90/90 19
Old 23rd September 2020, 15:34   #537
BHPian

Quote:
Hello sir, Thank you for your message. Amun-Ra is running perfectly fine.

I have also realized that its time that I change the seat assembly.

The last Sunday, I had removed the leg guard to understand how Amun-Ra looks without those. There is definitely a lot of weight reduction. There were rust marks here and there, which I have been able to remove.
Thanks for the reply.
I always wanted to ride a Bullet 500. Now it has been discontinued. So, I am actively considering buying a sparingly used mid 2017 Bullet 500 efi with just 7700 kms on the odo, single very gentlemen rider owner, well maintained, no modifications, everything is stock, good tire condition, took test rides, pick up, torque, all fine, no unduly sound or marks, etc, showed to a Bullet mechanic too (from my neighborhood, not ASC). Bike is in excellent condition and forest green color. All this in Rs. 1.15 lakhs.

I am middle aged (49+), 5.11" height, light weight (65-66 kg), agile but with some lower back pain issue. Have been a cross country traveler with family in self driven Tata safari.

Sitting on Bullet 500 and relaxed riding gives immense pleasure, though maintaining and learning DIY tips would need some efforts on my part, have plans to ride long distances too, speed is not a concern for me as I know Bullets are not for acceleration and speed but a torque machine.

1. What's your opinion!! mechanic says going for 350 is better for better resale value and mileage, that's true but, the pleasure part would not be the same. Maintenance part remains same for both, only difference is in FE.

2. How much FE can be expected on 500 efi in normal driving conditions at 80-85 kmph speed (max) on highway?

3. EFI is other thing all these FNG mechanics warn against, I have read about pros and cons of both the technologies. My idea is go with the efi as long as it functions well (with due care like maintaining good quality petrol, and enough petrol in tank), and when it goes kaput in future, can even go for entire switching to carb kit! Its mid 2017 model, so efi might not be as bad as were earlier models in CL (2012-2015)!!

Any other input you want to make!

Thanks
LongDrive lover is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 12:18   #538
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I always wanted to ride a Bullet 500....
Guess what, the fact that the Bullet 500 has been discontinued, in fact gives me immense pleasure and satisfaction. Why? A sense of pride and achievement to have been able to own a piece of rare metal craft.

Tell you what sir, all these DIY is definitely good and gives a sense of pride and satisfaction. But hardly a few venture that way after a few misadventures. "Yours Truly" is an active example. Yes, one must know the stuff, how to replace cables, pipes and the basic care giving, but what happens is that after a certain period of time, the motivation starts diminishing. I am not generalizing though, as I personally know many who still repair their own cars and bikes, but somehow, once the excitement pales, the enthusiasm to dirty those fingers and arch the back for a better look, takes a back seat!

Now coming to my personal opinion, any day one should go for the 500 in place of the 350. Within the city limits there is hardly any difference observed other than the sense of pride; But on a highway, there is still an ounce of juice left in a 500 after that tricky overtaking you might have performed with the 18 wheeler! FE is something I seriously stopped calculating long back but yes its definitely lesser than a 350. But then you hardly see 500 Standards these days. So that sense of exclusivity drives me a lot.

And with regards to the EFI/Carb, well the EFI is definitely well refined and I have heard that it also gives a better fuel economy and promptness to acceleration; the Carb on the other hand is pretty manual in that sense and is something which you can control to have the desired air-fuel mixture [Had read that this is something very much required for those "Leh Riders"] A few of my friends have EFI 500s and one had in fact later changed that to Carb; but the refinement is no longer there.

Frankly speaking sir, go with what your heart and mind suggests. I had taken that plunge and I am glad I took that. If its with a EFi 350, take that plunge, if it suggests Carb 500, go for that. Because, with a Bullet, the metal to mind connection is very much required.

The technician who is able to resolve all your usual bullet issues might not be able to resolve a peculiar nagging issue. No matter what and you need to look out elsewhere. Its at this point, the metal to mind connection is required.

The below you tube video very much summarises in jist:

Old 24th September 2020, 12:56   #539
BHPian

Quote:
Guess what, the fact that the Bullet 500 has been discontinued, in fact gives me immense pleasure and satisfaction. Why? A sense of pride and achievement to have been able to own a piece of rare metal craft.

Now coming to my personal opinion, any day one should go for the 500 in place of the 350. Within the city limits there is hardly any difference observed other than the sense of pride; But on a highway, there is still an ounce of juice left in a 500 after that tricky overtaking you might have performed with the 18 wheeler!

Frankly speaking sir, go with what your heart and mind suggests. I had taken that plunge and I am glad I took that. If its with a EFi 350, take that plunge, if it suggests Carb 500, go for that. Because, with a Bullet, the metal to mind connection is very much required.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=Q3jw-942J7w
Thanks for your reply. Decision is between heart and mind really . Wishing you many more miles with Amun-Ra.
LongDrive lover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 13:47   #540
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your reply. Decision is between heart and mind really . Wishing you many more miles with Amun-Ra.
Thank you sir. Do let me know what you finally decide. And if thats a 500, please share some images too. Take care and stay safe.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks