Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2023, 13:59   #646
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post
While sitting at friend's garage an impromptu night ride was planned for Lion's point. Though there is hardly anything to ride about this quick short ride, but then the twinkling bright night pearls across the sleepy slopes are worth a beauty.

From a time when Amun-Ra used to be the youngest in a group ride, to these days when he is the oldest. Fast rides are a bit challenging with the Swift young guns on straight plains, but the Bofors knows it's tricks in the twisties.
Hi Majumdarda.

I just read through this entire thread with a big wide grin on my face. I've always wanted Forest Green Bullet 500 as my college bike but they unfortunately stopped production of the entire 500cc lineup in 2020.

Seeing someone riding the very machine I've wanted since I was kid with such love and passion makes me happy. I may be part of this so called Gen Z that chases tech and my tastes may change with time but a small part of that kid who would go his school bus stop earlier than required just to see a few extra Bullets pass by will always live within me.

I wish you and your Amun-Ra many more happy kilometers of travel
GreasyCarb55 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2023, 14:44   #647
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyCarb55 View Post
I just read through this entire thread with a big wide grin on my face. I've always wanted Forest Green Bullet 500 as my college bike but they unfortunately stopped production of the entire 500cc lineup in 2020...

I wish you and your Amun-Ra many more happy kilometers of travel
Thank you very much GreasyCarb55. We feel so proud on hearing that you took the pain of going through all the pages and still posted a thank you note. Yes, you are GenZ and yes, your preferences etc might change as you gain more expertise and inclination, but the child within you shall always remain inquisitive and inquiring. I wish you all the very best for a sound future (a rather thumping one).

Take care and be around! Ride safe!
Majumdarda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2023, 16:56   #648
BHPian

Quote:
From a time when Amun-Ra used to be the youngest in a group ride, to these days when he is the oldest. Fast rides are a bit challenging with the Swift young guns on straight plains, but the Bofors knows it's tricks in the twisties.
Hello Majumdarda,
Read through your thread right from the purchase almost 10 years back to the recent exploits and could feel the utmost care and passion with which you have kept Amun-Ra (interesting name).
Royal Enfields respond to care and are mature machines, the 500s being in another category altogether. Someone rightly said with a 500cc under you, you can conquer the world.
I have also owned few Bullets, presently riding a 23 year old Cast Iron 350cc Deluxe, which i fondly call the Green Goblin.
You may follow our exploits in my posts in various threads, the recent one being the less travelled paths in the interiors of Arunachal Pradesh.
Wish you many more safe miles.
aviator1101 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2023, 12:31   #649
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDrive lover View Post
Hello Majumdarda,
Here is another query:
Anyway, wanted to know your opinion about it. How much is the difference in comfort level from the stock seat? Is it really remarkable?

Thanks
Hello Majumdarda,

Seems you missed seeing this query. Your inputs pl.
Old 26th June 2023, 22:12   #650
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDrive lover View Post
Hello Majumdarda,

Seems you missed seeing this query. Your inputs pl.
Hi, sorry, I missed your query. The RE seats are good and have provided me with good support during the rides.

For generic RE queries you can also put the queries in the Royal Enfield queries section.
Old 31st July 2023, 16:47   #651
Senior - BHPian

Amun-Ra completed 5000 on the new odometer. And that's definitely worthy of a celebration.

There is an air intake pipe that is connected under the petrol pump and goes into the Carb. This pipe has broken it seems and results in stops or power drops. I will have to get a new one but apparently this half inch pipe is not available here. The local mechanic tells me to get one from RX100 fuel pipe, but not sure if that will be available. Let me chk on possibilities and keep you all updated.

I also located the original B500 brochure, single page, green color. Old fond memories . I am interested to get the Horns replaced to Bosch Symphony Horns which are 5A each. The stock ones are 2.5A each. The battery is 12V 14 Ampere Hour (AH)

Can I directly replace the existing duals with Bosch's or do I need to connect a Relay too? If indeed a Relay is needed, then why?

I have a pair of (30+30)W fog lights connected, via a relay and better wiring.
I also have the headlight wiring upgraded with a relay so as to support 100/90 (should my wickedness kick in) though I still use a 60/55, Osram.
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-img_20230730_192647582.jpg  

Majumdarda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2023, 14:38   #652
Senior - BHPian

10th Anniversary of Amun-Ra is coming and I am not sure how will I celebrate the occasion with a "yet to be healed ankle and full restriction to riding" mode. But this being September, I still have one month to set my legs proper.

In the mean time, have a look at the B500 pamphlet. I am lucky these were not misplaced and though with wrinkles, they are still straight

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-bullet-500-pamphlet_front_lowres.jpg

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-bullet-500-pamphlet_rear_lowres.jpg
Majumdarda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2023, 16:56   #653
Senior - BHPian

One of the happy days for both me and Amun-Ra!!!

After a gap of a little more than 40 days, I ultimately could ride my B500. And what a raw exhilaration it was for those 15 odd minutes. Yes, by knees are still weak and the left ankle calls out when I try to shift, but man, it's a sense, a satisfaction, for which I really have no other words to describe. Probably, I would now have to use some Ice to take care of the swelling and God knows what exercise, to free up my left knee, But am damn happy.

Wanted to share this feeling with my greater family and hence this post.

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-whatsapp-image-20230910-4.43.11-pm.jpeg

I realize that Amun-Ra has been dirty, but dirty be him, for I will clean him up, when I can comfortably lift a bucket filled, to splash
Majumdarda is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th September 2023, 13:15   #654
Senior - BHPian

Last night, I did a quick 22 kilometers ride to our group's garage to check whether my legs are still strong enough for the approaching One Ride.

Had to take precautions and wore an ankle length shoe for a quick city ride Though I was feeling a bit uncomfortable as little bit of swelling is still there around the ankle, but then realized that while in motion, there are no issues. Feels great to meet all the old and new faces.

The new members, all excited for the One Ride, to be followed by RM later this year. All the excitement related to how we will go, what route to take, what all guards are required, are we doing night rides, group ride discipline etc etc! I could see my yester-years flashing by, right in front of my own eyes. How we used to seat at a place called GLC, by the road side and with these ideas, which seldom mothballed to heated arguments, but all in a positive and fun filled exercise. The venue has changed, the members have changed, the machines have changed for many, but the excitement still lingers, new old irrespective!
Old 18th September 2023, 15:46   #655
Senior - BHPian

17th September 2023 : One Ride

The night before I had made up my mind to do a solo quick trip to a place, where I had visited approximately 10 years back. Since my daughter had a workshop scheduled later in the day for idol making, I woke up early and quietly sneaked off for a cool morning ride. It has been raining at patches on the highway but thankfully I was not required to look for a shade. The Rynox worked well.

The destination for the day was a plateau in Panchgani which is now famously termed as "Cliffhanger"; though not sure who has termed this place or if the soul has ever been to the REAL Cliffhanger. (one of the many from my bucket list). Nevertheless with absolutely zero human-beings, I could enjoy such a moment, I am sure very few have!

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-1.jpg

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-2.jpg

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-3.jpg

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-4.jpg

After spending quality time, appreciating the silence with the morning breeze, I started for Mapro and reached as they were opening. Mingling with a crowd, with a not so strong ankle and stiffness still around is a challenge, but thankfully other than the morning staff, I was the only customer. Got a few Falero flavors for my daughter and started the return journey.

While returning, the rain seemed more prominent and thrashing at times, but never a cause for concern thankfully. I saw a few super-bikes doing in excess of 100 with their apparently bald tires, and I wonder, if they also loose traction on such watery roads? But who cares? It was my One Ride and I reached home safe and sound at around 10:30 AM.

Now, how about some introspection and who can be the best judge if not the self. Below are few of the excerpts from my initial day rides.

Quote:
  • Amun-Ra was stable and no observable vibrations within 90 kmph.
Amun-Ra has been stable all through my ride and the GrippXL does work wonders!

Quote:
  • Seat of motorcycle is not meant for long rides as it hurts a lot.
This thing still bugged me during the return journey. I know I have put on some weight all these years but since it was an issue 10 years back, and its still an issue, I guess the seat is the culprit and not my bum. The new 350 in the house, seemed to be having some good seat options and I wonder if they can be a direct fit for my Amun-Ra.

Quote:
  • Faced a constant back problem while returning back. Might be because I am no more used to these rides now. But it ceased within a few minutes after I reached home.
The back problem was also felt this time but this was only while returning and the main culprit would be my back which has become a bit stiff. The poor physio had advised some movements, but the bugger has stopped coming for tea these days!

One of the scopes for improvement / augmentation I have realized is to have such an arrangement wherein I can keep my mobile phone plugged in even if there are rains and if needed, I can charge the same while in motion, during the rains.

I have seen options from Rynox and external plugin charger setups many travelers use these days, but I have doubts on their effectiveness. Vloggers anyways look out for shade to protect their GoPros if it rains continuously
Old 7th November 2023, 19:42   #656
Senior - BHPian

Got my Studds Ninja D2's visor replaced by paying ₹300. This being an old model, not much are sold these days and therefore procuring the visor was pretty challenging. Had to travel to MotoCentral at Nana peth from PCMC to get this. Unlike the helmets, wherein the visors get a protective covering while being shipped, I was told that the spare visors do not get any such treatment and therefore a few get scratches while in transit. Though I am quiet sceptical about this, but nevertheless made sure that I get a scratchfree one, on the third attempt! The poor guy had to travel between shop and the store a couple of times as a result of this.

The tinted one, I was told, retails for ₹350.

Anyways, I am happy, at least for a few more night rides, the high beams will be less distracting.
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-img_20231107_141257905_hdr.jpg  

Old 2nd January 2024, 21:22   #657
Senior - BHPian

Post my trip to Ladakh, last year, one of the issues I faced very frequently, is that related to a 5mm breather pipe. Unfortunately I could never procure a proper one and it seemed never to be in stock at RE, for counter sell. I am not aware of the technical nomenclature, but it seems that the Water Purifier pipe along with some cable ties, serves the purpose well.

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-pipe_1.jpg

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-pipe_2.jpg

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-pipe_3.jpg

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-pipe_4.jpg

The pipe pushes air into the black inlet pipe just in front of the Carburetor, and every time the pipe would break open from the point in front, the engine would stall. Since it pushes air somewhat near to the carburetor, I am deducing that it should be of good quality and I should not be riding throttling frequently, so as not to kill the engine.

After much efforts, I have come with the above solution and till a proper pipe is obtained from RE, which can withstand the temperature and the bend, I will have to continue with this setup and carry a few feet extra along with some cable ties
Old 4th January 2024, 21:59   #658
Senior - BHPian

November had marked my ride to Rider Mania 2023 a.k.a MotoVerse and this time, we took a different yet scenic route. We had started on the 23rd early November morning and I remember there were some road obstructions expected around Kolhapur. So we reached Karad and from there took the turn towards Malkapur and then via Anuskura Ghat to NH66. From here for another 160 odd kilometers it was a straight highway, lit bright white under the scorching sun; post which we took the turn towards Vagator. This stretch of 160 kilometers though is great with wide roads etc, but the surface has many undulations, which might result in a fall. It somehow helped me connect with the More Plains, with long straight roads but sudden dips, which might caught the rider unaware!

Anyways, not much to write about the RM'23 with its black jersey. But this time, I made a point to collect all souvenirs possible (it was really fun) and to instill the belief every time I had to buy a "cold" beer, that Beer is to be served Chilled. The organizers, as usual, were least bothered!

Odometer reading on the previous night, just before the early morning ride

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-1.jpg

Somewhere on the NH66, it was totally tiring; Amun-Ra enjoying with TBTS

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-2.jpg

I had always heard that RE organizes a few rides across Goa to enjoy the local flavor. So the expectation was behemoth. This time, the one which I joined was to a place called as Alorna Fort. Well, there is nothing much to write about this ride experience, the local guy would have definitely organized much better!

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-3.jpg

I am guessing this photo is clicked atop the "Sal bandhara Bridge", someplace where there were lots of construction happening and we group of riders could take their Bullets and cross to the other side.

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-4.jpg

The dias was massive, if only the organizers understand the meaning of "to connect" Just getting English rappers, well probably I am too old for this Gen Z!

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-5.jpg

If the helmets could talk, I am sure they would have also exchanged feelings, meeting the same old eating joints after an year.

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-6.jpg

The customary pose with the Sherpa. I did not take a test ride for the simple fact that I love my Amun-Ra. But while trying out the saddle, I observed that though the Petrol tank is super easy to be gripped by the thigh/knee, the sticker-job makes it too slippery. I requested my buddy to check but he rides "Sofa-on-wheels", therefore least bothered.

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-7.jpg

Few images of the Ghat section while we were returning.

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-8.jpg

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-9.jpg

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-10.jpg

Final odometer after reaching home!

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-11.jpg
Majumdarda is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th January 2024, 15:01   #659
Senior - BHPian

Another weekend well spent.

I prefer to use Sonax shampoo for my vehicle wash but unfortunately they are not available across the counter here. Online purchase means I will end up paying more than the MRP. So this morning I went to the Shell pump to inquire if they have any gentle shampoo and if I can redeem the points. Well, points, I could not redeem on the shampoo, so purchased a microfiber cloth. Reason for going with Shell brand is because I am satisfied with their windshield wash. The shops over here sell 3M and Turtle, somehow the users are not satisfied with the quality. So either the users are not aware of what to expect or the products are fake. I suspect those are fake products being sold at Nashik Phata shops, Pune.

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-img_20240107_143954913_hdr.jpg

Amun-Ra and others were cleaned and I am pleased with the outcome. My daughter also came to lend a helping hand, which ultimately were spent to create islands with tree leaves

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-img_20240107_134531662_hdr.jpg

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-img_20240107_134505836_burst000_cover.jpg

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-img_20240107_134042512_hdr.jpg

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-img_20240107_133910339_mf_portrait.jpg
Old 23rd January 2024, 18:52   #660
Senior - BHPian

This morning I visited the local Studds showroom for my daughter's helmet. While options are very limited in that segment, something that caught my attention were the Studds Top Box. Once upon a time, I used to have a Studds side pannier and that box had literally taken all the beatings during one of the accidents, many years back. So quality is never a question for me, in regards to this brand. Casually I inquired if they can have this fitted atop the existing rack I have. And here I have Amun-Ra with a Studds Top box, atop a slightly wider rack plate over the existing top rack

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-img_20240123_160714374_mf_portrait.jpg

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-img_20240123_160818847_mf_portrait.jpg

The most satisfying part is that it can accommodate my Studds helmet comfortably, with space all around. Also, I am sure, it can take care of the few stuffs that are required from time to time, and for which I would no longer be required to have a sling bag around. (a.k.a. jhola)

The downside, is with the opening hinge. It protrudes considerably and this is something I will have to check with some local seat-repair shop, if they can suggest a way out, without impacting the functionality! I would prefer to have some hard cushion like stuff bolted on the lid, where the pillion can rest the back.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks