Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2015, 18:52   #421
Senior - BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"

A small update.

Amun-Ra had its first share of tire leak (front wheel) after approximately 21000 odd on the odo. Thankfully it was a leak which was identified at my residence. But to have it rectified, was one herculean task. No tire repairing guy was willing to touch even the front wheel. At last I arranged with another fitter to open the front wheel (50 rupees) and then have the single leak patched (50 rupees). So guys, a friendly advise, know your puncture repair guy as you will need their extra favors.

And now, to share with you all, a definite long time wish got fulfilled, just a few moments back

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-img_7664001_rs.jpg

Best regards,
Old 21st September 2015, 13:27   #422
Senior - BHPian

The first major disaster apparently struck Amun-Ra on Thursday, the 17th.
Earlier there was an issue with swing arm bush but it was rectified. The observation at that time was wobbling of rear wheel, felt more at turns.

On the 17th, around 5:15 am, while I was coming to office, I heard a thud sound and rear wheel drifted. The initial feeling was that of a leak, but the sudden drifting with sounds coming hinted something else. Early morning, when I had started, I did heard some unusual mild metallick sound (I presumed from front shocks), but later it vapored off. Coming back, I parked AmunRa and observed that pushing him has become very difficult. Rear tire was showing good though. Kneeled down to observe closely and when I tried to rotate the wheel, heard distinct rubbing sound. Still unable to point out the source, but with the memory of the swing arm bush issue, I slightly tried to move the wheel, and OH MY GOD!!!!.

The rear wheel seemed to be free in left right movement. The tention in the chain was gone completely and it was just hanging there. Pushing caused excessive side movement of wheel and the right arm was brushing against body. Applying gear was not possible as tention on chain created more sound than movement. In short, watery eyes.

I somehow pushed AmunRa to office parking. Being the first day of Ganpaati puja, getting hold of a 3/4 wheeler was becoming very difficult. Ultimately got one who charged 1000 to transfer AmunRa from office to home, 15 kilometers.

Now question is, Why this happened? As far as I know there has been no off tarmac venture since many months now. Also ride speed is between 60-70 with no harsh rides. In short I just cannot imagine any possible cause for this other than the fact that, "the issue was not handled properly the last time.".

Experts please advise. I am still unable to decide what to do and how can this happen, even after 4 days.

Regards,

Bikramjit
Old 22nd September 2015, 04:14   #423
Distinguished - BHPian

The problem sounds like one (or more) rear wheel bearings have failed.

Ball bearings seldom fail but when they do the effect can be monumental.

There are two ball bearings in the rear hub and one in the brake drum/sprocket.

If any one of them fails I strongly suggest that you have all three bearings replaced.
ArizonaJim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2015, 08:44   #424
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post

If any one of them fails I strongly suggest that you have all three bearings replaced.
Thank you Jim. Let me try to catch hold of someone nearby who can perform these. I sincerely hope that the damage has not been extensive. Keeping fingers crossed, I will update the thread.
Old 22nd September 2015, 09:17   #425
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post

Jim,you will not believe the pathetic quality of spares used by RE.One of my colleague had a front wheel bearing failure. On removing the bearing we saw rust to the core.
My 8 month old CL500 has cracked rubber seals and hoses
Old 23rd September 2015, 11:15   #426
BHPian

Any updates on the bike Majumdarda? I also have a forest green bull and follow your thread closely. Hope to catch up with you the next time I am in Pune.

A question for all experts here- if its a ball bearing fail as diagnosed by ArizonaJim, can such things not be identified proactively during the regular servicing?
sraye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2015, 13:36   #427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sraye View Post
Any updates on the bike Majumdarda? I also have a forest green bull and follow your thread closely. Hope to catch up with you the next time I am in Pune.
Thank you sraye for keeping a tab on this thread. At the moment AmunRa is just at the parking. I will first clean him thoroughly, possibly by this weekend. And then wait for Ganpati and load at service technicians to be over.

Then I will approach them. Reason being, if I give now they will anyhow charge exorbitantly and keep AmunRa just gathering dust, citing excessive load etc. You know the usual excuses they give

I will definitely update this thread. Please share some pictures of your B500. How is he running? How much on the odo? Any major Hickups till date?

Best regards,
Old 23rd September 2015, 14:11   #428
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post
Please share some pictures of your B500. How is he running? How much on the odo? Any major Hickups till date?
I have hardly ridden the bike much in the last 10 months. No excuse ( work, travel etc) is good enough to justify it, so will keep it at that.
The bike is a dream whenever I do ride it, but would put that down to less running rather than anything else.
However, do plan to start putting in some decent numbers on the Odo in the coming months.

Read about your last experience at the service centre, so makes sense to give AmunRa to them only post Ganesh Chaturthi.

Take care and hoping that its nothing serious.
Old 24th September 2015, 00:34   #429
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sraye View Post

A question for all experts here- if its a ball bearing fail as diagnosed by ArizonaJim, can such things not be identified proactively during the regular servicing?
A ball (or roller) bearing does make a sound while it is failing but it is usually not loud.
If the bearing is failing, the bearing will make a sound like gravel or sand is in it. I can't spell what that sound is like so you will have to use your imagination.

In a dead quiet environment it could be heard while the wheel is rotated.

Unfortunately, a few other things will also be making a sound while the wheel is rotating. For instance, there will be a slight rubbing sound caused by the brake shoes or pads just touching the drum or disk along with the sound of the chain moving into engagement and out of engagement with the sprockets.

This makes it nearly impossible for a mechanic (or a rider) to detect the sound in most situations.

By the way, a good bearing either makes no sound at all or it sounds like a soft, smooth whurrrrrr.
ArizonaJim is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2015, 10:21   #430
Senior - BHPian

Amun-Ra back on roads now.

As per the service engineer, the axle had been very tightly screwed up when the swing arm bush had been replaced and that resulted in the crack. So the same was replaced now. Ball bearings have not been touched though were instructed to be replaced. As per the technician, the bearing is good and better not to replace. Over all cost for replacement was Rupees 405.

Please refer below images for the faulty unit.

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-img_20151005_073033182.jpg
Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-img_20151005_073119515.jpg
Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-img_20151005_073209117.jpg
Old 8th October 2015, 08:39   #431
Senior - BHPian

Been so careless, that I forgot to inform you all that Amun-Ra just completed his second birthday on the 5th of October 2015. His "Definitely Male" companion with, 11 years of experience under his "drive chain", is always there with night time small chit-chats about the daily riding experience and the rider's whimsical wish of joy with the twisting of the throttle or the sudden impulse for some zip-zaps. I am sure more such "technical-talks" do happen between these two aged buddies.

Below is Amun-Ra on the morning of the 5th

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-aviary_1444241764487.jpg

With 222124 on the odo

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-aviary_1444242368315.jpg

And recently triple two triple three was achieved

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-aviary_1444272126924.jpg

Thank you all from all of us for your never ending support that helps us to know each other more as we make progress together.

Best regards,
Majumdarda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2015, 14:03   #432
Senior - BHPian

Time is definitely not going smooth these days and I am feeling this again and again.

Right after the last incident, one fine day while I was going for some shopping, I heard some strange sound coming from the rear. Stopped and checked every possible nooks, pulled the chain etc, nothing amiss observed. Again started and the moment I picked up some speed, the sound started coming. Asked a fellow biker to see if he can see anything at the rear causing such sound but he could only confirm the presence of sound, not the source. Fed up, I parked AmunRa and just sat at the road side trying to find out what might cause this rubbing sound. Just out of curiosity, I fiddled with the chain and there was the problem. The main stand was rubbing the drive chain. I guessed that some rubber packing might have gone missing, but was unable to find it. (owing to my one pack ab ). Nevertheless, went to local mechanic and it was replaced with a new rubber. This is the rubber that comforts and cushions the main stand when the motorcycle is taken off it. Cost to pocket was rupees 15/-.

And that was not all.

On the 24th October, I met with an accident with a four wheeler which was busy taking a speedy egress through a channel actually meant for ingress to highway. In short, I was trying to come to the main traffic flow from the service lane and this four wheeler just all of a sudden decided to jump on to the service lane (wrong way exit on his part). Obviously I was at mistake too as I failed to see this "brick-head" coming and the resultant was a side wise crash.

As a result of this crash, I had some major bruises on my hand and legs but nothing fatal. AmunRa took the entire blow but I was stunned by the strength it possess, even after skidding on the asphalt for few feet. The handle and the leg guard was bent with slight kit-kit sound coming from the front shockers. Post repairing, the handle has been replaced with a new one and leg guard has been bent back to way it was. I intend to replace the same soon. The sound coming from the shockers are gone now and I have shown to my regular service engineer and he has confirmed everything to be good.

Few observations :-
  • I am not branding for Studds made dickys, but the one I am using, took the entire impact of the fall and skidding, and thus my ankle was saved. Not even a major scratch on the body of this storage too. A worthy investment for taking small stuff around.
  • Always wear a helmet. I could feel my head first dash on the door of the four wheeler and then rubbing on the asphalt and am saved because of the helmet. Not a scratch to my face.

Below are some of the latest images.

Blitzkrieg Riding Club, with me all through
Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-img_20151031_105923103_hdr001.jpg

The Studds dicky was added during the Durga Pujas mainly on the request of wifey to carry things like baby diaper, water bottle etc which may be required anytime for little Heeya. And so was the back rest too, for a little more comfortable journey.
Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-img_20151031_122636196_hdr001.jpg

A closer view of the dicky, after the fall. Notice that there are hardly any major scratches.
Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-img_20151031_122846112001.jpg

Do notice the slight bend to the clamping mounts which cushioned the entire impact post the fall. They are bent slightly, resulting the storage to remain intact.
Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-img_20151031_122835859001.jpg

The new handle is a bit short in height than the one I am used to ride with. But I guess I have to get used to this one. Nevertheless not a bad posture while riding. The grips had been added earlier.
Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-img_20151031_122714446001.jpg

I am recommencing my journey at 22839
Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-img_20151031_122919353001.jpg

Below are the images which I captured this morning, but I am sure it was not caused by the accident of the 24th Oct but might be from the one I had on the 17th Sept. I have looked closely but did not find any further cracks etc, but this one is really deep, definitely caused by the continuous rubbing. Is this worth a concern and is there a need to replace the same. If yes, what it is called (Swing Arm ?)
Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-img_20151101_111519240001.jpg
Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-img_20151101_111526038001.jpg
Old 1st November 2015, 14:24   #433
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda
On the 24th October, I met with an accident with a four wheeler ...
First of all, I am glad you are safe. Nothing else is more important. Wish you safe journeys ahead!
narenteam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2015, 16:22   #434
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Below are the images which I captured this morning, but I am sure it was not caused by the accident of the 24th Oct but might be from the one I had on the 17th Sept. I have looked closely but did not find any further cracks etc, but this one is really deep, definitely caused by the continuous rubbing. Is this worth a concern and is there a need to replace the same. If yes, what it is called (Swing Arm ?)
Attachment 1433984
Attachment 1433985
Mate the scratched/rubbed part you have referring to in the picture is indeed the swing arm. From what you say it looks like a deep gash caused by hitting something. You can compare the before and after photos of the same part if you are of the habit of clicking pictures of your bike often. If it has appeared after the accident then maybe it got hit during the impact. Or may be the part(rear foot peg) close to the swing arm would have bended from the impact and there by rubbing itself against the swing arm. Try to sit on the bike and push down to see if some part is rubbing against the swing arm. Ask your friends or relatives to observe the rubbing part when you do this. Also just get your swing arm alignment checked as it may have bended a bit due to impact(although unlikely from your description of falling). Practice ATGATT mate so that you remain safe all the time.
Old 17th November 2015, 16:02   #435
BHPian

Quote:
On the 24th October, I met with an accident with a four wheeler which was
dada - am glad you are safe. Helmets are a riders best friend. The studds dickey looks nice on the bullet. Since its covered, it should protect things from the rain too. Do you carry it on when on long trips or do you prefer saddle bags?
FuelInjector is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks