Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2016, 21:45   #301
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post

Hi Vignaesh, there are two knuckle guards available as per the SVC - one costs around 7K and other - 2K or 3K.
The knuckleguards are good for rides in rain. They keep the hands fairly dry.
How do they fare during a fall.?
Old 14th July 2016, 23:39   #302
BHPian

Re: The Duke of Direwolves - Lisbeth, my KTM Duke 200

Quote:
I am using D390 knuckle guards on D 200 handlebar, coupled with end weights from Apache. It is a direct fit and you do not need to change the handlebar.

The D390 do not have a metal spine, but is joined at the bar end side.
Adding bar end weights will make the handlebar wider and cause problems in traffic. The stock handlebar is already quite wide as it is.

Quote:
Ah OH - very cost effective and a nice DIY. I got the raisers from Indimotard and they are differently shaped. - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post3924134

The labor charges are very reasonable, but I have seen that it varies from SVC to SVC.
Well, it isn't exactly a DIY in the regular sense since the fabrication and fitting were not done by me but yes, very cost effective. I saw your risers earlier when I was googling for other options. I didn't want to spend so much money on risers alone even though the Indimotard design is structurally stronger. The ones I got fabricated are also sold by Redlineplus and Via Terra.

Quote:
Damn! That is 2K down the drain. Please let us know the results after checking the battery. I have heard that the battery usually lasts only 2 years, so I am expecting my battery to conk off any time soon. Is there any other alternatives to the Exide battery? Any idea if Amaron makes battery for Duke? I have been a die hard amaron user (currently uses Amaron battery in my Unicorn, Cars, Inverter and Generator) so if there is a product from Amaron, I will go for it eyes closed.

--Anoop
I will do the test over the weekend and post the results. I haven't yet explored alternatives to what the SVC stocks. The OEM fitted battery in my bike was not Exide, I think. Probably Standard Furukawa or some other brand. Can't remember. I think the Himalayan comes with the same battery specs IIRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
Does your service center have a ECU scantool with them. It is much easier to get to the root cause of problems with the ECU error codes recorded. Push them up to get one out of their cupboards and check for any error codes in your bike which can pinpoint to the cause of the issue.

Earlier this month, one of my friend had a close call when his bike stalled. He had observed this stalling issue for sometime before this and visits to the SVC did not materialise. Later I accompanied him to the SVC and asked the SA to hook the tool and check. A scantool record showed his left indicator control voltage going high and low at certain times. Armed with this, and a closer look at the wiring harness, a small tear was found which used to touch metal part and the bike stalled when this happened.

Here is the photo of the scantool which is being used in all the SVC.

Attachment 1528850

By the way, this is the new generation tool. Earlier to this a metal box was used to check which was not so reliable.
I have only seen the old metal box DNF tool that they have been using from the beginning. I didn't know these new generation devices are now used. I will ask them if they have it. If not, I will explore other service centres too. Maybe I should just give the area manager a call. He should know which SVC has it. It's quite remarkable that the indicator voltage was measurable with this tool. I didn't think the ECU recorded detail of this level.
Darth Sid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2016, 11:05   #303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here is the photo of the scantool which is being used in all the SVC.

Attachment 1528850

By the way, this is the new generation tool. Earlier to this a metal box was used to check which was not so reliable.
Thank you for this info - I have seen only the old metal box, never seen this used till now. Will check with the Whitefield SVC if they have this, when I visit them next. Which SVC did you visit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vignesh_N/A View Post
The knuckleguards are good for rides in rain. They keep the hands fairly dry.
How do they fare during a fall.?
This is how they look, after a crash

The Duke of Direwolves - Lisbeth, my KTM Duke 200-knuckleguard.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Sid View Post
Adding bar end weights will make the handlebar wider and cause problems in traffic. The stock handlebar is already quite wide as it is.
Yes - similar to D390. I am using Apache mirrors and they do extend a tad beyond my handlebars, and the only downside is I cannot squeeze through narrow gaps - but I felt this is a good trade off for having better rear visibility and having the knuckle guards fixed easily.

Quote:
Well, it isn't exactly a DIY in the regular sense since the fabrication and fitting were not done by me but yes, very cost effective. I saw your risers earlier when I was googling for other options. I didn't want to spend so much money on risers alone even though the Indimotard design is structurally stronger. The ones I got fabricated are also sold by Redlineplus and Via Terra.
Yes - a 1 inch raise using cylindrical block will not lead to any stability issues, but when I saw the Indimotard ones, they felt much better made and I decided to buy it. It was almost an impulsive buy

Quote:
I will do the test over the weekend and post the results. I haven't yet explored alternatives to what the SVC stocks. The OEM fitted battery in my bike was not Exide, I think. Probably Standard Furukawa or some other brand. Can't remember. I think the Himalayan comes with the same battery specs IIRC.
Wow, if Himalayan comes with the same spec battery, then soon we will have some options available. Exide have VRLA batteries, but I am not sure if any of them is 8Ah (http://www.exideindustries.com/produ...de-xplore.aspx). Will check with SVC to see what options do they have now.
[/quote]

--Anoop
Old 15th July 2016, 11:39   #304
BHPian

Quote:
Wow, if Himalayan comes with the same spec battery, then soon we will have some options available. Exide have VRLA batteries, but I am not sure if any of them is 8Ah (http://www.exideindustries.com/produ...de-xplore.aspx). Will check with SVC to see what options do they have now.

Though not listed on the link Exide does have VLRA battery (XLTZ9 - 8Ah) for the Duke (AFIK OE ones are exide/SFsonic). Battery comes with 4 years warranty (two years replacement warranty and post that its prorated) and I bought it for Rs.1900 from a re-seller at HSR layout.

Last edited by samschenker : 15th July 2016 at 11:49.
samschenker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2016, 12:04   #305
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samschenker View Post
Though not listed on the link Exide does have VLRA battery (XLTZ9 - 8Ah) for the Duke (AFIK OE ones are exide/SFsonic). Battery comes with 4 years warranty (two years replacement warranty and post that its prorated) and I bought it for Rs.1900 from a re-seller at HSR layout.
Thank you. Did you by chance inquire at the SVC about the price and warranty for the battery they offer?

--Anoop
Old 15th July 2016, 12:54   #306
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you. Did you by chance inquire at the SVC about the price and warranty for the battery they offer?

--Anoop
Not sure of the price/warranty from SVC. The last time(2 years ago) I inquired with the SVC, they tried sourcing it from the exide dealer; it took the dealer forever to get it and I ended up buying it outside.
samschenker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2016, 19:40   #307
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you. Unfortunately, I didn't pay much attention to the bushes, so not sure what the material is. If we can't use rubber, can we use nylon bushes

The bashplate did come with nuts and bolts to fit it on the brackets, and they fixed the bash plate on my OEM brackets. I unfortunately didn't observe the thickness or the material of the washer.

@unk9ja: It will be great if you can confirm this.

--Anoop
Today I was at the Indimotard and checked the bashplate mounting procedure.
The front bracket which are mounted onto the gearbox are loosely fixed first.
The bashplate is then mounted from the underneath with delrin washers, 10mm thick. This is also loosely mounted.
The front end of the bashplate is then aligned and screws inserted into the brackets through the bashplate and tightened.
The bracket at the front end is tightened on the gearbox with a 1/8" self aligning drive socket (looks similar to the driveshaft of the cars)
Finally the bottom ones are tightened. They use loctite for the threads.

The delrin washers look like this. The size is 20mm diameter with 7mm hole and 10mm thick

.The Duke of Direwolves - Lisbeth, my KTM Duke 200-1468850927576.jpg

The Duke of Direwolves - Lisbeth, my KTM Duke 200-1468850940534.jpg
unk9ja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2016, 19:41   #308
BHPian

I did the battery test and did not observe a change in the behaviour of the first crank. With the car's battery connected, the voltage across the bike's battery terminals was 13.10V. At no point did the voltage drop below 13.0V until the engine started after which the voltage was stable at 14.28V. So it is not the battery that is causing the long crank issue.

However, I rode the bike for about 400m about one hour after the test. Stopped at a nearby market for maybe 10-15 minutes and when I turned on the ignition I saw a low battery warning. This is really weird. I don't remember exactly when I changed the battery but it has definitely been over one year. Quite possibly nearly two years. Maybe I should consider a new battery.

Quote:
this is the new generation tool. Earlier to this a metal box was used to check which was not so reliable.
I called up the SVC and found out that they do have the new tool but the map file is only compatible with MY'15 and later models. I clarified that I only need an error diagnostic and sensor voltage scan to be done, which they said is possible. I was planning to go today but couldn't wake up on time. Will try on Wednesday.

Quote:
Yes - similar to D390. I am using Apache mirrors and they do extend a tad beyond my handlebars

Yes - a 1 inch raise using cylindrical block will not lead to any stability issues, but when I saw the Indimotard ones, they felt much better made and I decided to buy it. It was almost an impulsive buy

--Anoop[/quote]

Now better mirrors are a welcome change. I think it is a Bajaj tradition - P220, Avenger, Duke, RC - to make inadequate RVM's.

Your risers are undoubtedly better because of how the load is distributed. I guess 1" cylindrical spacers should be OK too. In any case I am using 12.9 class bolts while the factory stock ones were 8.8 which are 30% less strong than 12.9.

Yes, Exide Xplore has a model for the Duke. Maybe I will consider that. Not listed on the manufacturer's website but available. Not sure about Amaron. The nearby shop I went to stocks both brands but they only had Exide to offer for my bike or Amaron 9 Ah which even they knew won't fit the Duke.

Quote:
The delrin washers look like this. The size is 20mm diameter with 7mm hole and 10mm thick

.Attachment 1530698

Attachment 1530699
Yeah, those won't fit the 200. No chance. Not enough clearance. Maybe if they make custom brackets for the 200.

Last edited by Darth Sid : 18th July 2016 at 19:44. Reason: Added response to @unk9ja's post about bash plate.
Old 18th July 2016, 20:00   #309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Today I was at the Indimotard and checked the bashplate mounting procedure.
Thank you! The washers on my bash plate are not these, so I will drop in there one of these days to get the bash plate fixed with these washers.

What are the effects you observed after putting these washers? Did the sound of the bike change?

Quote:
I did the battery test and did not observe a change in the behaviour of the first crank.
Quite possibly nearly two years. Maybe I should consider a new battery.
If you have changed the battery already once, your current battery may be still under warranty - do check that before you replace.

Quote:
Now better mirrors are a welcome change. I think it is a Bajaj tradition - P220, Avenger, Duke, RC - to make inadequate RVM's.

Your risers are undoubtedly better because of how the load is distributed. I guess 1" cylindrical spacers should be OK too. In any case I am using 12.9 class bolts while the factory stock ones were 8.8 which are 30% less strong than 12.9.
Yes, that is why I replaced the stock mirrors with Apache mirrors.

Quote:
Yes, Exide Xplore has a model for the Duke. Maybe I will consider that.
I think that is the only option we have.

Quote:
Yeah, those won't fit the 200. No chance. Not enough clearance. Maybe if they make custom brackets for the 200.
"The bashplate is then mounted from the underneath with delrin washers" - so I think this should suit D200 also. I will be going there sometime next week, and will update if this can be done on D200 or not.

--Anoop
Old 18th July 2016, 20:12   #310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I called up the SVC and found out that they do have the new tool but the map file is only compatible with MY'15 and later models.
That is nonsense. The scantool has all the KTM 's right from day1. 125/200/390 and the RC series in it. No way that earlier databases are missed out. I can take some pics and post here tomorrow. You can share with the SVC.

This also supports Pulsar and the RE, the Qube quadricycle range too.

The SVC might be hesitant to use this as they have to hook up and update database after 150 cycles online. And this is charged nominally. So it is one of their cost cutting exercise.
unk9ja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2016, 20:15   #311
BHPian

Quote:
The bashplate is then mounted from the underneath with delrin washers, 10mm thick. This is also loosely mounted.
The front end of the bashplate is then aligned and screws inserted into the brackets through the bashplate and tightened.
Quote:
"The bashplate is then mounted from the underneath with delrin washers" - so I think this should suit D200 also. I will be going there sometime next week, and will update if this can be done on D200 or not.
So they are inserted between the bolthead and the bash plate? If so, they will fit on the 200. If between the bash plate and the bracket, they won't fit.

Quote:
If you have changed the battery already once, your current battery may be still under warranty - do check that before you replace.
I will have to find the bill. Don't know where I kept it. Most likely before the billing software was upgraded. If the battery bought from the SVC carries warranty, maybe I can get some discount.

Quote:
The scantool has all the KTM 's right from day1. 125/200/390 and the RC series in it. No way that earlier databases are missed out. I can take some pics and post here tomorrow.
Oh, that might be useful. Thanks. But I guess to simply perform a diagnostic they shouldn't need the map file unless it is for a comparison. I think I need to check out another SVC too.

Last edited by Darth Sid : 18th July 2016 at 20:19. Reason: Added last quote.
Old 19th July 2016, 16:36   #312
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What are the effects you observed after putting these washers? Did the sound of the bike change?
I have these on my bike since the day bashplate was installed at Indimotard. So I cannot make any comment on the noise. The engine is audible at a much higher note after the installation as it was muted earlier with the plastic cover.
There is a metallic noise from the area when a gear is changed and it resonates at a particular rpm range of 4-4.5k. Other than these there are no other observations. I was one of the few who picked up these in the early days and it is not powder coated. So it stands out.
Old 21st July 2016, 14:25   #313
Senior - BHPian

Went to SVC today to get the chain adjusted and while the rear sprocket and chain are in good condition, my front sprocket teeth are slightly bend (forgot to take a picture) so they will need replacement in near future.

I will be replacing the whole set (now I have done 18K+ on one set) and the SVC quoted me around 3400 for the change, inclusive of labor changes.

What is the typical chain\sprocket replacement interval for Duke 200? How much mileage does one gen on average from a chain\sprocket set?

Do I have any other (better) options available aftermarket? Or, is it best bet to go ahead with SVC? Is the price quoted fair?

--Anoop
Old 21st July 2016, 18:11   #314
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do I have any other (better) options available aftermarket? Or, is it best bet to go ahead with SVC? Is the price quoted fair?
At least up until January of this year, i have seen LGU stock Rolon kit for Duke 200 costing around 1500. Bajaj is probably charging more for the kit itself. You can see if LGU has the kit available and purchase it from them. Bear only the labor charges and you are all set.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2016, 18:17   #315
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone here been using DID chain set? If yes, can you please post the pros and cons of the chain over the stock ones

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks