Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2017, 04:24   #166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
IMO, buying any vehicle during the first year of its release is risky.

All vehicle companies do extensive road tests on their new design before it is released for production. That's why we get these candid pictures of new motorcycles riding on public roads.

That said, no company can afford to have its test riders ride millions of km before the product is released for production. There simply isn't enough manpower or time to do the job.

When they release the Big Twin, we can expect to see the same learning curve.
What you mentioned is absolutely true Jim. However, just for the reason that there are limitations with the testing due to time and manpower factors, most of the major tests are conducted virtually in computer simulations during the development phase.

But, don't you think that ,If the companies decide the public to find the issues for them then they are just making a fool of themselves , as nobody would buy a vehicle until the 3rd year with a hope that all issues are sorted.

Most companies know the issues in their products even at the time of launch, but they categorize based on the price and region, if the issue is a major one or can be put to the bottom of the list.
Even the best vehicle on the streets comes with an issue that a common man wouldn't be aware of, but the development team does.

I believe either REs virtual data doesn't correlate well with their testing or there's some major flaw with their manufacturing, especially with the welds failing in the structure, which I'm sure they must be taking care of in the new bike.

P.S. I just wanted to share my opinion from the view point of a Vehicle development Engineer and no way related to RE

Last edited by 21Archer84 : 8th August 2017 at 04:33.
Old 8th August 2017, 06:48   #167
BANNED

Re: The Twin-Cylinder 750cc Royal Enfield

Quote:

All vehicle companies do extensive road tests on their new design before it is released for production. That's why we get these candid pictures of new motorcycles riding on public roads.

That said, no company can afford to have its test riders ride millions of km before the product is released for production.
Isn't this how the British motorcycle industry died? When the Japanese introduced machines that didn't follow this rule and never broke?

Maybe RE needs to stop being selective in their nostalgia and realize how they died the first time.

Why not invest in a ground up new frame for these new bikes instead of jugaad fix an existing one?

Himalayan fans were touting how the frame was "modified" for the application, which now cases of getting cracked are showing up. Welding flaw, or design flaw, anyone's guess.

Anybody taking bets on where it is going to fail when they plonk a twin cylinder in that same frame?

So, by the looks of it, not only are you getting the looks of a 60's British bike, you will be getting build quality of that era as well.

Cheers

Ride Safe
gthang is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th August 2017, 09:00   #168
Senior - BHPian

I hope they retain the name of this iconic classic from the 60's. It was called the Interceptor.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2017, 09:16   #169
BANNED

Is the layout 'big bang' with both pots firing at the same time, to preserve the pop-pop sound. Or it it normal which will lead to the loss of the typical Enfield engine noise. Remember the sound was the most endearing feature of the Royal Enfield.
Old 9th August 2017, 10:45   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Is the layout 'big bang' with both pots firing at the same time, to preserve the pop-pop sound. Or it it normal which will lead to the loss of the typical Enfield engine noise. Remember the sound was the most endearing feature of the Royal Enfield.
It depends on the crank angle. You'd get the "big bang" sound if the crank angle were about 360° or so. Otherwise, the sound would probably be more akin to the Triumph parallel twins. A 360° degree crank angle would also unfortunately increase vibrations, as the counterbalancing effect of the cylinders would be lost as they would rise and fall simultaneously. But then, I suppose it would feel more like an RE that way :P
Old 9th August 2017, 12:18   #171
Senior - BHPian

Going by the news doing the rounds, seems that the motor has a 270° crank angle. I would prefer this layout, as it would reduce the vibrations, and would also sound similar to a V-twin !
aravind.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2017, 16:24   #172
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Few screenshots from a video of the 750cc Enfield I received over whatsapp.

Since most vehicles are CG registered in the video, I guess the bike was in Raipur or Bhilai for some reason.

The Twin-Cylinder 750cc Royal Enfield-img_2881.png

The Twin-Cylinder 750cc Royal Enfield-img_2883.png

The Twin-Cylinder 750cc Royal Enfield-img_2884.png

Few more clicks of the motorcycle, due credits to the original photographer.

The Twin-Cylinder 750cc Royal Enfield-img_2874.jpg

The Twin-Cylinder 750cc Royal Enfield-img_2875.jpg

The Twin-Cylinder 750cc Royal Enfield-img_2876.jpg

The Twin-Cylinder 750cc Royal Enfield-img_2877.jpg

Last edited by //M : 9th August 2017 at 16:28.
//M is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th August 2017, 16:32   #173
Senior - BHPian

Sorry, but this is not the Royal Enfield 750cc, but rather a RE Classic with a Carberry developed 1000cc, V-Twin UCE engine that makes 54PS, and 108Nm of torque. The engine is available for sale for 4.96 lakhs !!
aravind.anand is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th August 2017, 16:35   #174
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Sorry, but this is not the Royal Enfield 750cc, but rather a RE Classic with a Carberry developed 1000cc, V-Twin UCE engine that makes 54PS, and 108Nm of torque. The engine is available for sale for 4.96 lakhs !!
Oh, my bad !

Thanks for sharing the info.

Mods, please delete or move the above post to a more appropriate thread.
Old 9th August 2017, 18:28   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Just came across article on Economic Times. Interesting thing is that the facility was established in February last year in Bhilai and initial units of engines are available for existing Carberry bikes.

By the way, is RE going to use them in their bikes in India? Here is the link to the article.

http://auto.economictimes.indiatimes...ngine/59979898

Thanks,
Pradip.
Old 10th August 2017, 13:27   #176
BHPian

Quote:
That said, no company can afford to have its test riders ride millions of km before the product is released for production. There simply isn't enough manpower or time to do the job.
..is pretty safe to buy one.
When they release the Big Twin, we can expect to see the same learning curve.
I assume this was restricted to buying a product from RE only.
ARAI takes data from ten bikes to collate and get its homologation kilometers done. Atleast this was the norm a few years ago, and I strongly think that would be the same now.
So for RE, to put ten mules with ten guinea pigs astride, they could run off 1 million km in like 45 days- this would not be impossible.
The point I keep making, all that engineering and riding- what reports were they filing with their own company- forget ARAI.
And now everyone fears the same with these new bikes.
No where in the world does one watch with trepidation on the performance of a product- probably no where in India too- save RE.
IF they take refuge under this 'curve' then its just tragic to have a home grown market leader behave with such tardiness.
Old 11th August 2017, 06:58   #177
BHPian

As much as I'm excited to lay hands on the 750CC, I'm actually equally worried about the maintenance costs of the same machine!

When my 350CC RE Classic gulps 2.5L of Engine Oil once in every three months, how much would this mammoth do?

By the way, love the Bonneville-ish looking RE. Would definitely be one from the first lot to buy it.

Regards,
ToF
TwistOfFate! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2017, 10:07   #178
BHPian

It's a great bike to look at and probably would be fun to ride as well just like those classic thumpers. I agree a wild 360 deg. crank would be explosive...!
But generally speaking, I think we need better scrutinising agencies of whatever comes off the production line in the Indian market. I have heard disturbing stories about the Himalayan frames cracking and stuff falling off and I have also personally experienced my Duke have all the problems under the sun in spite of it being a great motorcycle.
I don't believe that things breaking down in a bike and then one fixing them is the "character" of a motorcycle...No. That used to happen with my RD back then and I don't blame the motorcycle or the unavailability of quality spares during that period...but now, things are different. Manufacturing technologies and testing procedures, design have vastly improved.
Old 15th August 2017, 23:29   #179
BHPian

Saw this pretty old video of the possible twin cylinder contender from Royal Enfield. Dunno if its been shared before.

The foolish chasing aside, the Royal Enfield twin does seem like it can go quite well ,which would be a refreshing change.
B O V is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2017, 10:48   #180
BHPian

Came across this blog with pictures about RE Continental GT 750.

http://indianautosblog.com/2017/08/r...-launch-279087
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks