Old 5th May 2016, 11:09   #46
Senior - BHPian

re: BMW G310R & G310GS launched at Rs. 2.99 - 3.49 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafia View Post
Why not?

It is a BMW!
Nop. Did'nt quite get you!

The reason why these big sharks are concentrating on low displacement motorcycles such as this, is to generate profit from volume. I don't see BMW going anywhere with such a strategy!
Old 5th May 2016, 11:27   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why not?

It is a BMW!

Pricing will be dependent on market placement and perceived brand value. 4L may be streaching it a bit, but I feel that will be the strategy employed.

Or I could be wrong!
The KTM twins would have been priced higher if this was the case.
KTM too has brand value in the motorcycling world.

The reason we got it for a reasonable price is because it was built by Bajaj locally. It is the same case with TVS and BMW.
Whereas I don't think it is the same with the Ninja 300, Yamaha R3 , Benelli TNT250 and hence the higher pricing add to that the twin cylinders.

Last edited by tharian : 5th May 2016 at 11:33.
Old 8th May 2016, 10:13   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Nop. Did'nt quite get you!

The reason why these big sharks are concentrating on low displacement motorcycles such as this, is to generate profit from volume. I don't see BMW going anywhere with such a strategy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
The KTM twins would have been priced higher if this was the case.
KTM too has brand value in the motorcycling world.

The reason we got it for a reasonable price is because it was built by Bajaj locally. It is the same case with TVS and BMW.
Whereas I don't think it is the same with the Ninja 300, Yamaha R3 , Benelli TNT250 and hence the higher pricing add to that the twin cylinders.

I get what you are saying about the 4l OTR being on the higher side.

Lets see if the wisdom of pricing it right prevails. I would love to see a well made bike being priced right.

What Bajaj-KTM have done on the pricing is the first time a high capacity performance bike(albeit a single) was priced right. Then again, I am ready to pay a premium for some exclusivity too! fine line between right and correct pricing for a bike!

Any lead on the actual launch dates?
Old 8th May 2016, 13:36   #49
BHPian

From what I have observed from the various road tests done by euro mags this is a very basic street bike, I am more interested to know about the adventure version.

At close to INR 400000 there are far superior alternatives coming this year (Ninja 300, MT03, CBR500X, Harley Street 500, DUKE 390 Adventure) so why should one buy a TVS?

That said the new range of KTM's coming this year end will have to be very exciting and will they finally bring the 690 and a 690 adventure or GT for India.
Old 8th May 2016, 18:27   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

There is no 690 or 690 adv for India. 690 discontinued from 2017, and replaced by 800 twin. Ktm in India will focus on new model 390 duke and rc, and I don't see an adventure on an all new frame being released. The 800 twin will not be made in India. The Husqvarna based on the 390 will be made in India but will be 100% export. Husky launch in India is a long way away.
Old 10th May 2016, 05:13   #51
Team-BHP Support

TVS-BMW 300cc motorcycle unveiled in stunting avatar! EDIT: Named G 310 R

New teaser released by BMW- "Challenge the city"

Old 10th May 2016, 09:48   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Ktm in India will focus on new model 390 duke and rc, and I don't see an adventure on an all new frame being released. The 800 twin will not be made in India.

The CEO of KTM thinks otherwise:

"during the 2014 Auto Expo, KTM boss, Stefan Pierer, had confirmed that the company is developing an all new, twin cylinder, 500cc and 800cc bikes in India

He also said that given the prohibitive import duty structure in India, manufacturing 500cc and 800cc bikes in the country will turn out to be more cost effective.
"

Source: Overdrive

Last edited by payeng : 10th May 2016 at 09:49.
Old 10th May 2016, 11:04   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
The CEO of KTM thinks otherwise:

"during the 2014 Auto Expo, KTM boss, Stefan Pierer, had confirmed that the company is developing an all new, twin cylinder, 500cc and 800cc bikes in India

He also said that given the prohibitive import duty structure in India, manufacturing 500cc and 800cc bikes in the country will turn out to be more cost effective.
"

Source: Overdrive
Though competent off-topic and should be in some other thread. Please see this article : http://www.motorcycle.com/manufactur...spy-shots.html

I am now quoting relevant parts.

And let's not forget that KTM's Chief Executive OfficerStefan Pierer*once said the company is also planning to build a parallel-Twin motorcycle displacing somewhere around 500cc. Maybe a new 590 line? (After spending time with KTM at the Super Duke GT launch, it seems as if the the platform in the 500cc range is stillborn and won't be making its way into production. –KD)

When KTM Chief Executive Officer Stefan Pierermentioned new mid-sized bikes at the 2014 Indian Auto Expo, he noted that they will be produced in India for the Indian market to avoid the country's stringent import duties. If this remains part of the strategy, we can expect bikes bound for external market also to be manufactured in India by KTM's partner*Bajaj, which builds KTM's*390 Duke*andRC390. (After poking around at the Super Duke GT launch, we're now nearly positive the new 790/890 platform will be built in Austria. )

I think a lot of water has passed under the bridge now, and I don't think anyone is very impressed with Indian ktm parts quality,least of all the Austrians.

However its a bike I would love to see here!

Last edited by moralfibre : 10th May 2016 at 11:15. Reason: Fixed formatting. Please do not copy paste directly from other pages.
Old 10th May 2016, 11:04   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

I hope the release version comes shod with Michelin Pilot street radial as seen in the ads. TVS have the tendency to slap on el-cheapo ,own backyard engineered TVS tires!
Old 20th May 2016, 02:08   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
New teaser released by BMW- "Challenge the city"

https://Youtu.be/VPfIOG8C8n0
Interestingly, the BMW reps confirm that the bike WILL be launched in Germany in October, '16 and shall be available for 4,750 Euros. This undercuts the Duke 390, which is available for 4,990 Euros. Check out the comments section of the video.

I guess since it is manufactured by TVS in India, there should be no reason BMW should not be able to price it competitively here. BMW doesn't have any stake in TVS, unlike Bajaj, which owns close to 50% of KTM - so, the pricing may be a lil more complicated.

And...not sure if its been posted before but here's a video where we can clearly see the bike -

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 20th May 2016 at 02:10.
Old 23rd May 2016, 09:10   #56
BHPian

Confirmed: BMW Motorrad to officially enter India in October 2016

Quote:
Stefan Schaller, the president and CEO of BMW Motorrad has commented that BMW will be officially starting two-wheeler operations India by October this year. He revealed this on the sidelines of the ongoing 2016 Concorso d’Eleganza Villa d’Este. The BMW Motorrad range is currently available in India via their two distributors – Deutsche Motoren for Delhi and NCR region and Navnit Motors for the rest of India.
Now, we expect BMW Motorrad to announce plans of setting up its dealerships in the top metro cities initially in October when their first Indian-made motorcycle, the BMW G 310 R, goes on sale.

Source: http://overdrive.in/news/confirmed-b...-october-2016/
Nicky is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th May 2016, 14:55   #57
Senior - BHPian

This is fantastic news that BMW is going to officially launch Motorrad in India, the current version was the brainchild of a dealer who took risks and got the bikes down themselves. But couldn't do much volume thanks to the insane pricing! S1000RR costs as much as a 3 series! And no discounts!

Although I just have horrid things to say about the way BMW India and their dealerships operate, I'm very excited because they indeed have created some legendary motorcycles. Hopefully they will consider a SKD/CKD route to make the prices a little sane because if they are just going to launch at the same pricing as before it doesn't make any sense.

The GS310 is a great bike, can't wait to try it out. Also there cannot be a direct spec vs price comparison for these different brands, we always seems to forget its not how much it costs, its how much you can sell it for. And BMW will command a premium over KTM in India, even if its cheaper abroad.
Old 2nd June 2016, 17:36   #58
Senior - BHPian

BMW Motorrad's plan for Indian two-wheeler market comes into focus

BMW Motorrad’s alliance with India is ready to become a full-fledged relationship before 2016 is over. The company has confirmed that the official entry of BMW Motorrad into India will come during the last quarter of 2016.

BMW G310 R (3)

OVERDRIVE spoke to a spokesperson in Munich two years before the TVS-BMW announcement. When asked about BMW Motorrad’s plan to expand in India, the official response was, “India is a strategic market for BMW Motorrad. Our presence right now is about brand awareness more than volumes. That focus will come later when the market matures more.” We have come a long way from that stance.

As we know now, BMW went on to ink a cooperation agreement with TVS. TVS is fiercely protective of its ownership pattern and no stakes were offered for sale on either side. However, the TVS-BMW project took a clear shape. BMW would develop a new sub 500cc platform (to start with) and both brands would enjoy a line of new motorcycles from it. TVS would observe and absorb the technology, processes and engineering in this process. TVS would also be the manufacturing partner, building both versions out of its Hosur plant under BMW quality supervision. TVS’ first motorcycle from this project is likely to be the fetching Akula 310.

TVS Akula 310 (1)

BMW G310R & G310GS launched at Rs. 2.99 - 3.49 lakh-tvsakula3101.jpg

The BMW G 310 R has been in the public domain for months and we have got to know it as well as possible without riding it. We now have confirmation that BMW Motorrad will put this motorcycle in sale in India in the last quarter of 2016.

Full article: http://overdrive.in/news/bmw-motorra...es-into-focus/
Old 14th June 2016, 18:08   #59
BHPian

Looks like the price is almost finalized.

Autocar Magazine has pegged it around 1.8L ex show room.

I feel that is a fantastic price and finally a entrant in the market that will give some competition to the D390.

Link to article below:

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...er-402277.aspx
Mafia is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th June 2016, 23:40   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Looks like the price is almost finalized.

Autocar Magazine has pegged it around 1.8L ex show room.

I feel that is a fantastic price and finally a entrant in the market that will give some competition to the D390.

Link to article below:

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...er-402277.aspx
The probable reason for the expected price is the UK price announced by one of the dealers, at £4290 on-road.

http://www.bladegroupbmw.co.uk/pages...m#.V3M0T1QrK00

It sure is competitive pricing and hope the performance and quality live up to the name.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks