Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2017, 23:12   #106
Senior - BHPian

re: BMW G310R & G310GS launched at Rs. 2.99 - 3.49 lakh

Courtesy Motoroids:

Quote:
The new BMW G310R is yet to reach Indian showrooms. While we are eagerly awaiting the motorcycle, exhaust system expert, Akrapovic has released an audio clip of the upcoming entry-level motorcycle from the Bavarian manufacturer, equipped with their aftermarket exhaust and it sounds pretty awesome. With the new exhaust, the sound from that single cylinder engine has become even more brawny.

Don’t Miss – This BMW G310 R Tracker by Wedge Motorcycles is Absolutely Spectacular

As stated by the exhaust manufacturer, the system has been crafted from racing materials, and is claimed to deliver extra power and torque all through the rev range. It also claims to make the BMW G310R instantly recognizable with a pronounced sporty and aggressive tone.
http://www.motoroids.com/bmw-motorcy...torque-output/
AutoIndian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2017, 10:11   #107
BHPian

Finally we get to see it on Indian roads!

Someone posted this video claiming to see it on NH7.

I am eagerly waiting for this bike and have my fingers crossed on the pricing aspect. Just met with a bike accident and it has made me more determined to ride.
4k_jz is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 16th March 2017, 16:50   #108
BHPian

I don't know how credible is this source, but they claim BMW G310R not launching in India anytime soon, Company's 800cc plus models to arrive by April 2017. I am eagerly waiting for this bike to arrive and then decide on my next buy.

BMW G310R not launching in India anytime soon, Company's 800cc plus models to arrive by April 2017

There are lot of reviews from foreign motorcycle magazines floating around in the youtube for G310R. I found the following to be the best of the lot.

Last edited by aah78 : 17th March 2017 at 20:59. Reason: Posts merged. Please use MULTI-QUOTE/QUOTE+ when responding to multple posts. Thanks!
sathya.bhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2017, 16:56   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya.bhat View Post
I don't know how credible is this source, but they claim BMW G310R not launching in India anytime soon, Company's 800cc plus models to arrive by April 2017. I am eagerly waiting for this bike to arrive and then decide on my next buy.

BMW G310R not launching in India anytime soon, Company's 800cc plus models to arrive by April 2017
Possibly they want to run more road tests. We have an unique environment in terms of climate conditions, pollution, riding environment, quality of fuel available etc. May be they want to take care of that and make the product as fool proof as possible rather than addressing issues once launched. Also I doubt if there are enough motorrad dealerships and support mechanism in place to support possibly increased interest in small capacity BMW
Old 16th March 2017, 17:25   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid13 View Post
Possibly they want to run more road tests. We have an unique environment in terms of climate conditions, pollution, riding environment, quality of fuel available etc. May be they want to take care of that and make the product as fool proof as possible rather than addressing issues once launched. Also I doubt if there are enough motorrad dealerships and support mechanism in place to support possibly increased interest in small capacity BMW
If TVS launches Akula in a month or two, there is no point in BMW holding on - both uses the same engine. And unless they weren't sure of the Indian conditions, am not sure they'd have put forward a launch date. BMW has been here and am sure they know about India well.
Old 16th March 2017, 19:17   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow, by the time they are done testing not sure how much interest would be left in this bike. If Akula gets a head start(which looks like the case), it will take away quite a bit of the numbers from BMW. That added to the superb facelift from Duke, that will eat quite a bit of market targeted by BMW.

I am all for rigorous testing and getting a polished product out, but this one is taking way too long. Look at KTM it took them all of three months to launch the same global product in india.

The major buyers left would be probably the one who want the BMW badge, at an affordable price point. Not sure, how much the maintenance will add up though.

Last edited by AtheK : 16th March 2017 at 19:32.
AtheK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2017, 19:30   #112
BHPian

The Duke 390 is miles ahead of this bike in every single way. The only USP is the brand name which I think will drive in a lot of sales.
Old 16th March 2017, 19:59   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brutailer View Post
The Duke 390 is miles ahead of this bike in every single way. The only USP is the brand name which I think will drive in a lot of sales.
It may be miles ahead in terms of specs and straight line speed.
But is it better in terms of NVH, quality, stability, handling, comfort?
We need to wait and watch.
abhishek46 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2017, 20:37   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
It may be miles ahead in terms of specs and straight line speed.
But is it better in terms of NVH, quality, stability, handling, comfort?
We need to wait and watch.
In my opinion, yes it is ahead in each of those aspects as well.

- NVH : From the reviews online, they've mentioned the new 390 is very refined for a single cylinder. Since the BMW is not a twin cylinder, expect it's NVH to be similar.

- Quality : KTM uses the highest and safest quality parts for the Duke 390. From the suspension to brakes to headlights to switches etc.

- Stability & Handling : Trellis frame and subframe and upside down forks and sticky metzler tyres makes it an extremely good handler.

- Comfort : Well, you have to sacrifice comfort for sportiness. Since the 310r is projected as a sporty naked bike..let's see how the comfort pans out.

To be honest, G310r can't hold a candle against to the 2017 Duke 390. Too late for the BMW now. Like I said, the brand name is the only attraction.

Of course, if they price it in sub 2 lac range, it'll kill all other bikes including duke 250. But go above that (which I think they will thanks to the premium brand name), and duke is a much better package in power, brakes, handling and tech (Heck, which bike offers smartphone integration on a coloured TFT console?).

Last edited by The Brutailer : 16th March 2017 at 20:41.
The Brutailer is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th March 2017, 20:49   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In my opinion, yes it is ahead in each of those aspects as well.

- NVH : From the reviews online, they've mentioned the new 390 is very refined for a single cylinder. Since the BMW is not a twin cylinder, expect it's NVH to be similar.

- Quality : KTM uses the highest and safest quality parts for the Duke 390. From the suspension to brakes to headlights to switches etc.

Of course, if they price it in sub 2 lac range, it'll kill all other bikes including duke 250. But go above that (which I think they will thanks to the premium brand name), and duke is a much better package in power, brakes, handling and tech (Heck, which bike offers smartphone integration on a coloured TFT console?).
Nice points there!

We cant be sure of the NVH unless we drive one.
C'mon, it's designed by BMW. Just saying.

On the KTM quality front, there was news of more than instances of alloys cracking and excessive heating due to poor quality fans.

As you said, a lot rests on the pricing.
abhishek46 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2017, 21:27   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
To be honest, G310r can't hold a candle against to the 2017 Duke 390. Too late for the BMW now. Like I said, the brand name is the only attraction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
On the KTM quality front, there was news of more than instances of alloys cracking and excessive heating due to poor quality fans. As you said, a lot rests on the pricing.
Please make peace guys No point in comparing a bike that has been recently launched (KTM 390) to the one which is yet to hit the road (BMW G310R). Unless BMW Motorrad launches the bike or at least carries out a media drive and makes the bike available for test ride, there is no point in making any kind of comparison just yet.

Specifications on paper may not tell the complete truth. Hence a test ride and real world performance matters a lot. Case in point Yamaha FZ25. All the enthusiasts who were looking forward to the launch of this bike were put off when they came to know that this quarter litre Yamaha outputs a measely 21 ps power and 20 Nm torque. However each review of this bike that I have come across has been all praises the way in which this Yamaha puts that 20 Nm twist and those 21 horses to use on the road.

As of now the 390 & the G310R can best be compared on paper. When the Bavarian hits the road, pitching it against the RC390 will make more sense, I believe. Till then lets hold our horses.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2017, 21:47   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Specifications on paper may not tell the complete truth. Hence a test ride and real world performance matters a lot. Case in point Yamaha FZ25. All the enthusiasts who were looking forward to the launch of this bike were put off when they came to know that this quarter litre Yamaha outputs a measely 21 ps power and 20 Nm torque. However each review of this bike that I have come across has been all praises the way in which this Yamaha puts that 20 Nm twist and those 21 horses to use on the road.

As of now the 390 & the G310R can best be compared on paper. When the Bavarian hits the road, pitching it against the RC390 will make more sense, I believe. Till then lets hold our horses.
Not really. FZ is praised because it's been designed to do something which is different to the frantic nature of Duke. In the sense that, it is a more linear, comfortable and mature bike compared to the KTMs. Not everyone wants brutal acceleration neither does everyone want to redline their bikes at every opportunity.

If I may be allowed to say..the FZ is more like a Mercedes Benz. Smooth and classy. The KTM though, is more on the lines of a BMW. Depends on what your preference is.

And btw, how is G310r comparable to RC? RC is a sharp, track focused fully faired bike whereas the beemer is a naked.
The Brutailer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2017, 22:38   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not really. FZ is praised because it's been designed to do something which is different to the frantic nature of Duke. In the sense that, it is a more linear, comfortable and mature bike compared to the KTMs. Not everyone wants brutal acceleration neither does everyone want to redline their bikes at every opportunity.
I think you didn't get my point. FZ25 was just an example to highlight how the specs on paper cannot tell you the complete truth about on road performance that only a comprehensive test ride can give. The BMW G310R is yet to be launched, hence no point in comparing it with anything available on road today in India.

Quote:
If I may be allowed to say..the FZ is more like a Mercedes Benz. Smooth and classy. The KTM though, is more on the lines of a BMW. Depends on what your preference is.

Quote:
And btw, how is G310r comparable to RC? RC is a sharp, track focused fully faired bike whereas the beemer is a naked.
OK, don't compare it with the RC, but then neither it can be compared with the naked KTM 390, till the time it hits the road and only BMW can tell us when it will.
AutoIndian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2017, 23:28   #119
Senior - BHPian

Why would BMW keep delaying the launch without any reason or explanation?
Do they not know they are in competition with the KTM 390?

Most people are waiting to see the launch price of the BMW (besides reviews of course) before they take a decision on the 390 or 310. By their constant delays a lot of frustrated customers will go the KTM way with all the hype and good reviews across the board. BMW are in a lose-lose situation with all this dilly-dallying.

Maybe, just maybe, during testing they have discovered some flaw which makes them delay the launch since they don't want to risk their reputation and first time foray into small bikes with a recall.

Any ideas people?

Cheers

Last edited by Cyborg : 16th March 2017 at 23:30.
Old 17th March 2017, 07:57   #120
Senior - BHPian

I really cannot understand TVS and their delay in launching new models.

Their Apache range of motorcycles are brilliant and they took their own sweet time in launching the 200 and now the BMW. I have been waiting for this bike since last year and every time the thread is updated with a post saying the launch is delayed. Looks like their priority is not the domestic market.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks