Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2021, 17:32   #391
BANNED

Re: Yamaha teases new naked motorcycle. EDIT: FZ25 launched at Rs. 1.20 lakh

According to bike maker: Reduction in input costs passed on to customers.

Truth: Sanity crept-in into the bike maker's head, also fear of losing out to the competition.
wheelguy is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 18:08   #392
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikishor View Post
Yamaha slashes prices of FZ25 by almost 20,000.

Source: https://www.autocarindia.com/bike-ne...s-20000-420981

Well seems like good news to me. It brings back the value proposition which it used to have.
Wait what !? Prices reduced ! Good on Yamaha to pass some benefits to customer ( also they'll sell some more sitting vehicles). On the other hand we have Hyundai, increasing prices monthly and getting away scot free.
Kudos to Yamaha
Akshay6988 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 19:00   #393
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
According to bike maker: Reduction in input costs passed on to customers.

Truth: Sanity crept-in into the bike maker's head, also fear of losing out to the competition.
Before the price drop, the Gixxer 250 was only 10000 INR dearer, and offered 30% more power.
The old price was not at all sustainable!
abhishek46 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 20:39   #394
BHPian

Price reductions are always good. BMW learnt their lesson with G310R.
I think the primary reason Yamaha India is unable to sell because most of their bike are absolutely disgusting. Except the R15 of course. Hope they onboard some good designers.

The original FZ was and still is quite a looker. They just ruined in the later iterations just like Hero did with Karizma.

Looking at Yamaha India bike website recollects Jeremy's quote on Scottish restaurant menu "not much in it and nothing you want".

Yamaha teases new naked motorcycle. EDIT: FZ25 launched at Rs. 1.20 lakh-yamaha-india.png

Last edited by amvj : 1st June 2021 at 20:47.
amvj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 21:39   #395
BHPian

Is it just the FZ25 that the "input costs" have been reduced for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
Before the price drop, the Gixxer 250 was only 10000 INR dearer, and offered 30% more power.
The old price was not at all sustainable!
Don't get misled by what's on paper. It may be 20 bhp, but real world 0-60 and 0-100 figures tell you the performance is on par with the gixxer250. Don't underestimate it based on the spec sheet.

Of course it loses out on top speed. A sixth gear would have fixed that, but right now, the price cut fixes it even better. You get what you pay for.

Last edited by drt_rdr : 1st June 2021 at 21:41.
Old 1st June 2021, 22:01   #396
Senior - BHPian

The price had gone up substantially and FZ25 was no more a VFM offering lately compared to the Gixxer 250 which was just 10k away. Good Yamaha reduced it. But maybe they are making space of the rumored FZ-X? Wasn't there some talks about an adventure version of FZ25 coming in?

With current FZ25 pricing of ~1.5L+, FZ-X would have been priced even higher(1.7-1.8L?) & that would probably not have many takers. This move of reducing the price to 1.34L can help pricing the FZ-X around 1.5L ex-showroom & that's a sweet spot between Xpulse and Himalayan.

Last edited by SoumenD : 1st June 2021 at 22:06.
Old 1st June 2021, 22:08   #397
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
With current FZ25 pricing of ~1.5L+, FZ-X would have been priced even higher(1.7-1.8L?) & that would probably not have many takers. This move of reducing the price to 1.34L can help pricing the FZ-X around 1.5L ex-showroom & that's a sweet spot between Xpulse and Himalayan.
Wasn't the FZ-X supposed to be based on the 150cc platform?
Old 2nd June 2021, 04:40   #398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drt_rdr View Post
Wasn't the FZ-X supposed to be based on the 150cc platform?
Yes, FZ-X is supposed to share the 149cc engine from the FZ/FZS FI.
Old 2nd June 2021, 07:09   #399
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Don't get misled by what's on paper. It may be 20 bhp, but real world 0-60 and 0-100 figures tell you the performance is on par with the gixxer250. Don't underestimate it based on the spec sheet.
A Motorcycle is much more than benchmark acceleration figures.

Quote:
Of course it loses out on top speed. A sixth gear would have fixed that, but right now, the price cut fixes it even better.
For any Motorcycle to have one more gear, it is not so simple or cost effective. And in most cases, it would mean a new Motorcycle, or at least a new transmission which mates with the current engine, how easy would that be?

Quote:
You get what you pay for.
Bang on, you get the most average 250cc Motorcycle out there.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2021, 15:50   #400
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
A Motorcycle is much more than benchmark acceleration figures.
Sure.

But aren't we talking about horsepower comparisons here i.e. performance?

Acceleration numbers are a much better yardstick for judging the performance of a bike than HP numbers on the specsheet.

This bike does similar 0-60, 0-100, and in gear acceleration as the gixxer. So, where's the downside (other than top speed) to having a 30% horsepower deficit as abhishek46 put it?

I'm sure people understand that clearly Yamaha did not want to tune this for a peaky powerband. They focused on the low to mid juice. If they had tuned it for peaky power, you'd probably be seeing similar BHP as the other bikes out of this one too.

In certain scenarios like running up and down hills or twisty roads, I'm inclined to think it could be better than the gixxer, particularly because of the sharper brakes.

Quote:
For any Motorcycle to have one more gear, it is not so simple or cost effective. And in most cases, it would mean a new Motorcycle, or at least a new transmission which mates with the current engine, how easy would that be?
My point exactly. The price cut is a far easier way to deal with the limitations of the 5 speed gearbox than adding another gear.

Quote:
Bang on, you get the most average 250cc Motorcycle out there.
Nothing wrong with being average though.

Then again, average or not really depends on what you want out of a bike.

I think this could be something special if set up to its strengths. Bigger rear sprocket, stiffer fork, maybe better tyres and you'd be having a blast within 100kmph.

Last edited by drt_rdr : 2nd June 2021 at 15:53.
Old 3rd June 2021, 06:13   #401
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Fun little motorcycle this. I got it to commute and ride it to the hills. It is doing both duties pretty commendably. The distance to hills is close to 150/200 kms from where I stay and it does manage to keep up with bigger machines while cruising.

Now, not going over 120, but it simply doesn't feel strained below 120. I wish to add better tires for hills and when $$ permit, maybe something like the N-400, but I am not going away from Japs for sure.
This is what I had posted in 2017, it was the first ride and I was okay with it. But after I logged in few kilometers, the flaws started to come out...please read further..

Quote:
I have done some 11,000 kms with my FZ-25. I didn't ride in entire 2019.

I said before, I am saying this again. It is one of the, if not the most average bike on sale in India by Yamaha.

There is no top end, headlamp illumination is poor, chassis composure isn't there. All this is further worsened by the FE figures, you barely get 25 kmpl.

Bike is okay if you are trying to commute, but isn't fun when you try to have fun, especially if riding is leisure for you.

I hate to say this, but this is one of the worst bike I got from Yamaha, the R15 is still my favorite bike from Yamaha [I had the V1, Indonesian made].
Quote:
Bike is easier to ride? Depends. It is neither at home on open highways nor at switch-backs or B-roads or hills, yes, it is a good commuter and should be home inside a city.

0 - 100 is okay, but that is it.

The gearing is horrible, 1st gear is still okay [~48 kmph], but 2nd is only good till 72 kmph, now this is where I face the biggest issue.

On almost all hills or while ascending hills [less of an issue while descending] I hit the limiter and have to wait [for like 3-5 secs] as I have to brake for a corner, I can't up-shift unless there is a wee bit longer stretch. As if I shift to 3rd, I have to be back to 2nd or 1st, this simply robs away the riding pleasure.
Quote:
This bike does similar 0-60, 0-100, and in gear acceleration as the gixxer. So, where's the downside (other than top speed) to having a 30% horsepower deficit as abhishek46 put it?
I am not sure as I have not cross checked, but, I have ridden / owned the CBR-250-R which has the similar power figures as Suzuki's 250 and the Honda was faster. I am unsure as to why the Suzuki is not .

Quote:
In certain scenarios like running up and down hills or twisty roads, I'm inclined to think it could be better than the gixxer, particularly because of the sharper brakes.
From what ever I can figure out, it appears you haven't had enough saddle time with the FZ-25.

And you need sharper brakes while coming down from hills ?
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2021, 14:32   #402
BHPian

Mod note: Please avoid quoting entire large posts for replies, also use Multi Quote [Quote+] instead of back to back posts. Thanks.

Quote:
Sure.

But aren't we talking about horsepower comparisons here i.e. performance?
I think this could be something special if set up to its strengths. Bigger rear sprocket, stiffer fork, maybe better tyres and you'd be having a blast within 100kmph.
As an owner of FZ25, I find this bike quick enough to 100 kmph or even up to 110 kmph. Thereafter vibration kicks in, struggles to go past the 120 kmph mark. Max speed achieved was 127 kmph as I was determined to hit the 125 kmph mark. But it was not fun to continue at such speed. Lack of the sixth gear and larger rear sprocket appear to be the reason. But the larger rear sprocket also aids in brisk acceleration as experienced. Ridden sanely up to 80 kmph on highway this bike delivers above 40 kmpl, in city 32 kmpl. Not that good for open highway, but gets the job done.

Quote:
This is what I had posted in 2017, it was the first ride and I was okay with it. But after I logged in few kilometers, the flaws started to come out...please read further..

====
It also makes me wonder why the similarly powerful Gixxer SF 250 can't beat the CBR 250R on open highway. Maybe due to shorter gearing and oil cooling!

Last edited by Jaggu : 3rd June 2021 at 15:26. Reason: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote [Quote +] instead. Thanks.
Old 3rd June 2021, 15:54   #403
BHPian

Quote:
From what ever I can figure out, it appears you haven't had enough saddle time with the FZ-25.
You're right, I don't own the bike.

I've rented it a few times. And for the kind of riding I usually do, which is a mix of city streets, twisty rural backroads, dirt trails, some hills mixed in, and the occasional highway, I was quite satisfied with the general capabilities.

I was actually very close to buying the Fazer25 at one point.

Quote:
You don't? I don't know what kind of hills you ride up there, but down here, the hills I usually ride are well paved and it's not all steep hairpins all the time. I enjoy being able to brake late where I can.

Quote:
Since you own the bike, I have to take your word for it. I'll rent one out again and check it out once more.

I personally felt the FZ25 handled quite adequately. But then I'm someone who's used to riding a bike with a pogo stick front suspension and longer wheelbase (the impulse) and compensating for it.

But comparing an R15 to it is harsh. Is there any commuter which holds up to the sharpness of the R15? The first gen R15 was even lighter and more nimble IIRC.

The R15 was also more expensive back when the FZ25 was first launched. That says a lot about what kind of bike the FZ25 was designed to be... an easygoing, comfortable allrounder.

Maybe an MT-03 is what you were looking for.

Quote:
I am not sure as I have not cross checked, but, I have ridden / owned the CBR-250-R which has the similar power figures as Suzuki's 250 and the Honda was faster. I am unsure as to why the Suzuki is not .
I don't know if it was faster, but I don't think it would've been that much faster than the current 250s. Difference of a few tens of milliseconds here and there hardly matters.

Then again, since we're talking about a BS3 era bike, maybe it WAS faster to 100 by a second or two.
Old 3rd June 2021, 19:29   #404
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amvj View Post
Price reductions are always good. BMW learnt their lesson with G310R.
I think the primary reason Yamaha India is unable to sell because most of their bike are absolutely disgusting. Except the R15 of course. Hope they onboard some good designers.

The original FZ was and still is quite a looker. They just ruined in the later iterations just like Hero did with Karizma.

Looking at Yamaha India bike website recollects Jeremy's quote on Scottish restaurant menu "not much in it and nothing you want".

Attachment 2162946
Yamaha can probably list out all the colors available for each type of product they offer. At least this way they can fill up some content on their website under the products header.

So many variants of FZ is simply unnecessary. Missing the flogging a dead horse smiley.
nkrishnap is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th June 2021, 20:22   #405
BHPian

Price reduction or not this bike will not sell. with old pricing, it was competing dominar 250 (Liquid cooled 30 bhp engine). With current pricing it is competing with the apache 200 v (dual channel abs, adjustable front shocks). The bike also has one of the worst cheap instrument console. Earlier FZ were also plagued with quality issues due to cost cutting. What FZ 25 needs is a sixth gear, instrument console from R15, oil cooling, a few bhp, better gearing slightly better styling. With Yamaha this will never happen. LIke suzuki they are slowly losing track in motor cycles.

Praying the spirit of RX 100 and RD 350 comes back.
Sarvodaya is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks