Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2018, 22:08   #136
BHPian

Re: Ownership Review - 2017 KTM 390 Duke

I faced an issue today where the Duke 390 TFT display just went blank with nothing coming up except for an occasional MIL flashing. Even with engine on, nothing showed up. Luckily, could capture this at that moment. Anyone else faced this?
Sorry for the rotated video.

Old 9th January 2018, 14:14   #137
BHPian

Is there any hack to get the clock to show the correct time? Within a day or two it goes out of sync - gets faster and faster each day.
Old 10th January 2018, 19:19   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbp View Post
Wow. The Duke390 is one over priced bike now, I had paid 289000 with 3 years insurance in August. By the way don't have high hopes on that funky looking shitty TFT console, one of the worst components on the bike, it is almost useless according to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nambiarshreyas View Post
I wish. No, this is with 1-year insurance. The insurance amount is around Rs.6500/- for a year and it is around 49,800 on LTT and Regn.
Quote:
Got that Rbp, keeping my hopes rock bottom on the console and sky high for the engine and performance.
After having read through the ex-showroom quoted by Shreyas & comparing that with what I was quoted, Rs.2,26,650/- a couple of months ago, I was in dismal. Wasn't duke-390 always meant to be the most VFM option for the enthusiasts. Rushlane has now published an article wherein it speaks for minor updates to the MY'18 model : https://www.rushlane.com/2018-ktm-du...-12259988.html.

Quoted here for ease of access
Quote:
Speaking about the minor updates on offer, 2018 variants come with an updated software for the digital instrument cluster. The update allows better connectivity and more features. Software update also has fixed the issue of the headlight going off while riding.

In addition to this, it now gets a new plate which is mounted on the trellis frame. This plate has been added so as to prevent rider’s feet from getting cooked. The radiator fan has also been tweaked. It now rotates faster than before, thus doing a better job of not letting the bike overheat. Other mechanics remain same as before.
I'm not pegging my hopes high on software update of the instrument cluster but I would be really interested on the newer heat management changes that the article claims.

Shreyas, I'm looking at you once your beast is delivered
Old 10th January 2018, 23:10   #139
rbp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by farhadtarapore View Post
Is there any hack to get the clock to show the correct time? Within a day or two it goes out of sync - gets faster and faster each day.
Same issue with my bike. This is a software issue. Believe it or not, on my Ninja 650 I haven't adjusted the time for the past 2 years, till today the clock is in perfect sync, not even a minute of variation.
Old 11th January 2018, 19:16   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabrez View Post
Rushlane has now published an article wherein it speaks for minor updates to the MY'18 model
Motoroids have published a video which elicits the minor updates making their way into MY'18 model
tabrez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2018, 14:13   #141
BHPian

Quote:
I'm not pegging my hopes high on software update of the instrument cluster but I would be really interested on the newer heat management changes that the article claims.
Any updates on what that "plate" is which reduces the heat being directed at rider's legs? Would be very very interested to have that on my bike.
Old 13th January 2018, 10:34   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by farhadtarapore View Post
Any updates on what that "plate" is which reduces the heat being directed at rider's legs?
It's a small perforated metal plate, Farhad. From my previous post in the video posted by Motoroids at 0:47, the shield is visible. You might as well benefit from the acclaimed bigger radiator fan & further tweaks with respect to it's RPM. Of-course, if only all of that can be mechanically back-ported to your bike.
tabrez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2018, 22:18   #143
BHPian

Quote:
It's a small perforated metal plate, Farhad.
Exactly what it is. Just picked up my bike today and it looks like it is just an additional plate. Combined with a larger fan it is supposed to keep engine heating down. I do not have a reference point from earlier, the bike did heat up when I was getting it back home in crawling traffic but nothing that could be termed unbearable.
nambiarshreyas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2018, 11:36   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Exactly what it is. Just picked up my bike today and it looks like it is just an additional plate. Combined with a larger fan it is supposed to keep engine heating down. I do not have a reference point from earlier, the bike did heat up when I was getting it back home in crawling traffic but nothing that could be termed unbearable.
Hello, Congrats on the new bike. Welcome to the Duke 390 family.

It would be helpful if you could put up a picture of your software version. Apparently, the software has been updated so would like to know what version is being given in the 2018 version.

Last edited by nikhn : 14th January 2018 at 11:37. Reason: Additional information
Old 14th January 2018, 12:29   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Just picked up my bike today and it looks like it is just an additional plate.
Congratulations, Shreyas. And some photo's please for us to ogle at your White beauty
An ownership thread would be much appreciated.
Old 15th January 2018, 12:37   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations, Shreyas. And some photo's please for us to ogle at your White beauty
Thank you Tabrez. Not yet got around to taking some proper pictures, but here are a couple of pics from the delivery. Since it was the first white 390 being delivered in 2018, the showroom had a small ceremony for it.

Awaiting the unveiling
Ownership Review - 2017 KTM 390 Duke-whatsapp-image-20180113-17.22.18.jpeg

The first look
Ownership Review - 2017 KTM 390 Duke-imag1609.jpg

A handsome profile shot
Ownership Review - 2017 KTM 390 Duke-imag1610.jpg

Classic 3/4th profile
Ownership Review - 2017 KTM 390 Duke-whatsapp-image-20180113-17.25.29.jpeg

Me and my son went to pick up the beauty. A shot of our lids awaiting the first ride
Ownership Review - 2017 KTM 390 Duke-imag1613.jpg

Bangalore welcomed us into our first ride on the Duke with some lovely fog and chill
Ownership Review - 2017 KTM 390 Duke-whatsapp-image-20180114-08.02.13.jpeg
nambiarshreyas is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 10th February 2018, 13:46   #147
rbp
BHPian

I thought the ODO resetting and console crashing issues were sorted in the 2018 Duke, a colleague's friend brought one recently, the white colored one and his console also crashed and his ODO went back by 50 kms. It has been more than a year since the new model was launched and the manufacture has no interest in solving the issues.

As for my bike it has completed 3500kms and I got the second service done yesterday and got to say the Mekhri circle service is one of the worst service centers. The washing was extremely poor and the front fender still had dirt on it. Since the running was less, I had told them not to replace the oil. I have run into a new problem off late, if I switch off the bike at signals, sometimes the bike refuses to start . This has happened 4 to 5 times already. The FE is nothing to talk about around 18 to 20 kmpl, but the ODO is extremely optimistic as far as FE numbers are concerned, shows around 25 kmpl. Thats another way to fool people. The brakes though sharp tend to loose bite when the weather gets hot, I was thinking of the EBC brake pads and finally went for them. These cost 2500 Rs.

I initially tried by just removing the old pads, but the pistons had come out a little more and the EBC pads were thicker as seen in the pictures. I tried pushing the pistons back, but I couldnt and gave up. Later I checked a few more videos on youtube and this time I removed the entire caliper assembly and pushed the Pistons back and the pads went in easily, it was simple

Ownership Review - 2017 KTM 390 Duke-ebc-pads.jpg

Ownership Review - 2017 KTM 390 Duke-comparision.jpg

Ownership Review - 2017 KTM 390 Duke-comparision2.jpg

Old vs new
Ownership Review - 2017 KTM 390 Duke-comparision3.jpg

New pads in place.

Ownership Review - 2017 KTM 390 Duke-comparision4.jpg

Will update on how they feel after a few kms. I have the extreme pro variant pads on my Ninja so I know these will be far better than the stock.
rbp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2018, 12:05   #148
BHPian

Any update guys?

I have clocked 2.5k Kms till now. No issues so far. Also got the bike serviced ( 2nd Service ). The total bill came up to Rs 1390/-. Also updated the firmware to v41. After updating, I faced the ECU failure error on the display, probably because I switched on the kill switch too soon.

Rest there are no issues with the bike and she runs like a dream. Kirti Nagar KTM service guys take care of my bike properly whenever she's there for service. Really happy with them as they used to take care of my previous D390 as well.

Shall keep all of you updated.

Cheers!
aditya.bhardwaj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th March 2018, 20:28   #149
BHPian

Right, so mine is a sept 2017 duke 390. Been a good buy other than two problems.
1. The TFT display sometimes just restarts by itself. It takes out the headlamp too when it restarts. I enquired about the software update, but they say my bike has the latest update. Also the rpm band acts crazy sometimes when it’s supposed to be red, but becomes multicolored. Will post a pic for reference.
2. The clock seems too be advancing time every time I take it out, a well documented prob on this forum.
Other than that, it’s a VFM bike for me and my needs.
Attached Thumbnails
Ownership Review - 2017 KTM 390 Duke-dd01cdf2aa834702b928bbf833950c9f.jpeg  

Doc_nikhil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2018, 17:03   #150
Senior - BHPian

Been a while since I updated this thread. The Duke has run 2500 Kms (excluding a few hundred ones which leaked lol ). I have stopped using the Bluetooth module completely and since then havent faced any issues regarding the clock/odo. Screen blanking I think happened once and I havent seen it happen again.

Other than that, the bike starts at one go, there is a very slight sound coming from near the front number plate or around that area, cant figure out exactly where but its nothing which would bother me.

Was lucky enough to attend 2 Track days at the BIC since I got the bike 7 months ago, full marks to KTM for organizing these events and doing a fantastic job at that.
Yup was super lucky , and what the bike can do amazed me.

The tyres stick like a leech, I was trying to test the bike's limits and even when I leaned it far enough to cross the tyre lean indicator 5, it was still as stable as it was in a straight line.The bike does max out at 163, which is puzzling. I tried it a few times, thats the max it could do on the track.

The way it pulls always manages to surprise me, even with a pillion.

I did manage to get into a huge pothole while doing "KTM type" speeds, and the hit was bad enough to damage the alloys. Dont think any alloy would would have survived the hit though. Thankfully, the bike got me home without any issues.
Claimed insurance and got both the alloys replaced thanks to the 0 depreciation policy.
Also got the software version upgraded to V41.

I havent checked the coolant levels etc but reading about so many experiences, will do that once. Its been close to 7 months now so will also get the bike serviced one of these days.

I am toh loving it baba
sammyboy is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks