Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2017, 20:00   #106
rbp
BHPian

Re: Ownership Review - 2017 KTM 390 Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
The bike ODO stands at 629 kms, after completing almost 700 kms over the weekend. Go figure. It should have been very close to if not over 1000Kms. So, there is a leak somewhere on the TFT console, I am losing kms LOL.
Thats the ODO reset problem, I had reported the same a few weeks back.

The console is the shittiest piece of equipment on this bike. Even the clock on the console gets out of sync with in a day of setting it. The console also gets scratched easily. Never trust the FE number shown on the console, the tank to tank calculation has a different story to tell.

An analogue tacho on the bike would have been mind blowing, as the damm engine revvs so quickly, the joy of a analogue tacho dancing up and down is unmatched. My bike has done 950 kms officially add another 15 for the unofficial number as the odo reset issue is there.
rbp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2017, 08:52   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbp View Post
Thats the ODO reset problem, I had reported the same a few weeks back.

The console is the shittiest piece of equipment on this bike. l.

An analogue tacho on the bike would have been mind blowing, as the damm engine revvs so quickly, the joy of a analogue tacho dancing up and down is unmatched. My bike has done 950 kms officially add another 15 for the unofficial number as the odo reset issue is there.
Thank you rbp, your mention of the odo reset is what set my mind working. Until then i wasnt sure how i seemed to be riding but not covering kms .

Completely with you on the tft, yes it does give useful information but I have also been used to a plain simple odo with just the basic stuff on the ninja, so this is not something which i am crazy about. I hope the new software update will make the console more reliable.

Congratulations on reaching the 1k, do share your service experience.

Last edited by sammyboy : 29th September 2017 at 08:54.
Old 30th September 2017, 08:35   #108
Team-BHP Support

People still are apprehensive about KTM[ comments in the video] or I don't know if it is true because I see glitches being reported here as well. I was thinking about this, though still unsure & undecided. The Yamaha FZ-25 which I ride or the CBR-250R/R15 which I had were shut it forget it types. ASC [for lube change] is 100 kms away and a competent ASC is 180 kms away, so was thinking hard to take the plunge or not.
Old 30th September 2017, 10:53   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post

People still are apprehensive about KTM[ comments in the video] or I don't know if it is true because I see glitches being reported here as well. I was thinking about this, though still unsure & undecided.
Thats true Sheel, there are still issues being reported somewhere or the other.
For me, a odo glitch doesnt matter because thats the last thing i am worried about but a mechanical failure or any failure which leaves me stranded is what gets my goat. And i havent seen or read about too many of those yet. Sriram has has a battery issue which sucks and i would be super upset with what he had to go through too, having to push the bike because he trusted the folks at orange assist.

Do think long and hard before you make a decision, unfortunately, there is an element of luck involved in getting a nigglefree bike from some manufacturers.
I am overall satisfied with what i got (as of now lol) , a major niggle will change my opinion though.
sammyboy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2017, 08:16   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post
The battery shows 7.6V - I somehow remembered to note that and take a click as well
If on starting the bike, the voltage goes to above ~13.5V, the charging system is fine and the battery has to be replaced, else it is a charging system issue - is the regulator working or is the stator coil burnt out? On the D390 v1 charging system issue manifested as 0 kmph on the speedo while the bike is running. No idea if the same holds true for this model as well.

Quote:
People still are apprehensive about KTM[ comments in the video] or I don't know if it is true because I see glitches being reported here as well. I was thinking about this, though still unsure & undecided. The Yamaha FZ-25 which I ride or the CBR-250R/R15 which I had were shut it forget it types. ASC [for lube change] is 100 kms away and a competent ASC is 180 kms away, so was thinking hard to take the plunge or not.
This bike is essentially the D390v1 mechanically as well as cycle parts wise. So those parts have been alpha, beta and release tested over the years. The issues cropping up are for the new tech that has been added - primarily the console and the LED headlight. Those are still undergoing apha testing .

If you ask me, I would say, the D390v2 (not v1) is built to similar quality levels as my older R15v1. The same is reflected in the price as well. However, reliability wise, this bike will still be just a bit lower compared to that unburstable Yamaha.

Last edited by abhijeet080808 : 3rd October 2017 at 08:21.
abhijeet080808 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2017, 17:55   #111
BHPian

Quick Update (Sorry Abhijeet - Will do my own thread sometime soon - @sammyboy knows my timelines better )

Finally called the Orange Assist folks and jump started the bike again. Then rode it to KTM Mekhri Circle and asked them to fix it.

The coolest thing is there was one more person with the same problem - If I extrapolate it statistically, I think it is a big problem.

One of the few folks there also admitted that this is becoming a common problem with the 2017 D390.

Now to wait 3-4 days for the battery to be fixed under warranty (but, what is the guarantee that it won't happen again?)
sriramv.iyer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2017, 20:00   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quick Update (Sorry Abhijeet - Will do my own thread sometime soon - @sammyboy knows my timelines better )

The coolest thing is there was one more person with the same problem - If I extrapolate it statistically, I think it is a big problem.

One of the few folks there also admitted that this is becoming a common problem with the 2017 D390.

Now to wait 3-4 days for the battery to be fixed under warranty (but, what is the guarantee that it won't happen again?)
hahaha Yeah, lets not start with the thread updates, . We have been piling on to Abhijeet's ownership thread, sorry Abhi.

This is quite ridiculous, if they know this issue is being reported by folks why would they just sit quietly and hope it goes away?

Did they mention anything about the root cause yet?
I hope it gets fixed soon and permanently.
Old 3rd October 2017, 22:59   #113
BHPian

Quote:
hahaha Yeah, lets not start with the thread updates, . We have been piling on to Abhijeet's ownership thread, sorry Abhi.

This is quite ridiculous, if they know this issue is being reported by folks why would they just sit quietly and hope it goes away?

Did they mention anything about the root cause yet?
I hope it gets fixed soon and permanently.
He he..

I hope they fix it - Looks like replacing the battery discreetly (under warranty) is the solution right now.

I'll update as soon as I hear back from them. Found other videos in youtube for the same issue

PS:- Tarnishing my reputation of slow updates, I started a thread on this battery subject
sriramv.iyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2017, 08:33   #114
Team-BHP Support

I just hope KTM proactively replaces the defective parts, it is not that other manufacturers might not have issues. Because from whatever I am reading online, the '17 D-390 is a much sorted motorcycle WRT the '13 D-390. Just that the newer fittings have issues and mechanically, it is almost ok.

Pretty hard to resist this orange as of now and I just may end up getting this as soon as I can. Is that limited edition white black version available?
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2017, 09:06   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just that the newer fittings have issues and mechanically, it is almost ok.

Pretty hard to resist this orange as of now and I just may end up getting this as soon as I can. Is that limited edition white black version available?
Welcome to the orange club, it is a compelling package as of now for sure. And mechanically sound is what i gambled on too, hopefully it stays that way.
The white/black isn't available as far as i know now, only the orange black.
sammyboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2017, 09:11   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Not a problem at all. Please feel free to continue on this thread.

As for the battery, I guess KTM has a bad batch of battery (as well as oil pressure sensor) on their hand!
abhijeet080808 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2017, 17:00   #117
BHPian

Done about 1200kms so far. Few issues:
  1. Squealing when pressing front brakes. Quite annoying.
  2. When I turn the bike at a low speed, there is a muted squelching sound from the front as if metal is rubbing against metal.
  3. Sometimes bike stalls in 1st gear for no reason at all. Like if clutch is pressed fully when I'm stopped at the signal, and I release it, it'll just die. Kinda annoying but doesn't happen everytime so difficult to convince service center that issue exists.
Will probably get these checked at next service.

Last edited by farhadtarapore : 4th October 2017 at 17:01.
Old 4th October 2017, 19:56   #118
rbp
BHPian

Finally got the first service done, bike had done 1020 kms. I took the bike to AutoService, Bangalore for servicing, as I used to get my Ninja serviced there. More on AutoService later.

I had purchased the oil from Amazon as there was some discount. Got the oil and filter changed, front disc cleaned as it used to make some sounds.

They charged for cleaning disc pads [sand paper cleaning only, no spray used]. They charged for polish too, which I wasn't told is chargeable, they should tell in advance that the so called polish is chargeable. Washing was poor.

I had 3M ppf installed on the bike more than a month back, after a couple of days the film started peeling off, I informed these guys about it immediately, I was told the film will arrive in a 15 days, today also they are cooking the same story. The air filter was opened up for cleaning and it was totally clogged, I was shocked to see that, just goes on to show how poor Bangalore air quality is. I asked them to replace it and these guys didnt even have air filter in stock. The front suspension used to make some noise asked them to correct that, they in turn ended up over tightening the handle, bike lost its flickability .

The bluetooth on my bike doesn't work, the service head keeps bull shitting that a guy has gone for training and will come back in a few days and we will sort it out .

The final bill amount came to 373.

On the way back, the handling had gone for a toss due to the tight handle, I just dropped by my local mechanic and told him the problem, he brought it back to normal and the handling is fine now.

Ever since Kawasaki servicing was taken off from Bajaj centers, these guys seem to have lost their mojo. I am not going back to these guys again.
Final advice to Bangalore guys, stay away from AutoService. I need to search for a new service center now.

Inspite of all the shit, I had to deal with, when I started back, the bike manages to bring a huge smile on your face every time u ride it. The throttle response, the sharp brakes, razor sharp handling, the beautiful exhaust note etc are a joy. I have started to redline her now. The bike just feels wow. I don't mind the shity digital premium console as far as the bike is mechanically sound. Hope it stays mechanically that way.
rbp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2017, 12:47   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by farhadtarapore View Post
Done about 1200kms so far. Few issues:
[*]Squealing when pressing front brakes. Quite annoying.
I have faced that too after service. I will be getting my number today, will have them check this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by farhadtarapore View Post
[*]Sometimes bike stalls in 1st gear for no reason at all. Like if clutch is pressed fully when I'm stopped at the signal, and I release it, it'll just die. Kinda annoying but doesn't happen everytime so difficult to convince service center that issue exists.
Will probably get these checked at next service.
Same problem, i faced it in the middle of the U turn. I now keep revving it even when the clutch is fully depressed in first gear. That seems to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbp View Post
Finally got the first service done, bike had done 1020 kms. I took the bike to AutoService, Bangalore for servicing, as I used to get my Ninja serviced there. More on AutoService later.

The bluetooth on my bike doesn't work, the service head keeps bull shitting that a guy has gone for training and will come back in a few days and we will sort it out .

Inspite of all the shit, I had to deal with, when I started back, the bike manages to bring a huge smile on your face every time u ride it. The throttle response, the sharp brakes, razor sharp handling, the beautiful exhaust note etc are a joy. I have started to redline her now. The bike just feels wow. I don't mind the shity digital premium console as far as the bike is mechanically sound. Hope it stays mechanically that way.
Autoservice has gone from a breath of fresh air to toxic fumes over the years. Sad to hear they messed up the service experience for you.
Whats the issue with the bluetooth? I have heard of issues with some android devices. Apple has its own issues for me, need to restart the phone every few days to get BT to work.

It does rev like crazy and is super fun, i wish the RPM limit was higher though. Spoilt by the 14K rpm madness of the 250.

Last edited by sammyboy : 5th October 2017 at 12:51.
Old 10th October 2017, 08:25   #120
BHPian

My bike has completed some 2k kms till now. And so I have been noticing some changes from the time I had penned down this review.

+ve -

1. The exhaust sound is getting better by the day. Reminds me of the older D390 that started to sound absolutely better post some 10k kms.

2. The top end has somewhat "freed" up. There is more power available now post 7k rpm where she absolutely goes ballistic. Again, this reminds me of the R15v1.

3. The headlights are not so bad in rains at night. Definitely better than the Osram Nightbreaker I had on the D390v1.

4. I have not yet had to adjust the chain. The more linear power delivery seems to be kind on the chain. Hoping for a longer chain life this time around.

5. The tyres too seems like will last atleast 15k kms.

-ve -

1. The console condenses moisture very easily.

2. The shocks are not that much of an improvement over the D390v1 wrt to comfort.

3. The bluetooth does NOT work reliably. Once it even crashed the console. Disappointing that KTM has not yet released any SW updates.
abhijeet080808 is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks