Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2018, 00:20   #151
rbp
BHPian

Re: Ownership Review - 2017 KTM 390 Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
I did manage to get into a huge pothole while doing "KTM type" speeds, and the hit was bad enough to damage the alloys. Dont think any alloy would would have survived the hit though. Thankfully, the bike got me home without any issues.
Whats the cost of the alloys?
Old 2nd April 2018, 10:06   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
The bike does max out at 163, which is puzzling. I tried it a few times, thats the max it could do on the track.
I remember reading somewhere that KTM have lowered the RPM cutoff post-2015 models. That might explain the max speed of "only" 163.
Old 5th April 2018, 17:29   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
I remember reading somewhere that KTM have lowered the RPM cutoff post-2015 models. That might explain the max speed of "only" 163.
Apparently, in one of the international forums it was mentioned that there are restrictions for first 1000 kms or something like that.

Even this was reluctantly shared by the KTM dealership folks was what that was mentioned there.

Post that it revs freely and can go upto 173 or 180 depending on riders weight .
Old 6th April 2018, 11:58   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbp View Post
Whats the cost of the alloys?

Somewhere in the range of 4500 bucks for the rear one, sorry dont remember the exact cost but can check if you want.
Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
Its not something one bothers about on the street, but you would definitely feel it on the track when the older ones zoom past you on straights

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpiyengar View Post
Apparently, in one of the international forums it was mentioned that there are restrictions for first 1000 kms or something like that.

Even this was reluctantly shared by the KTM dealership folks was what that was mentioned there.

Post that it revs freely and can go upto 173 or 180 depending on riders weight .
Let me check this then, because I weigh about 72 kgs, and the bike has had its first service (2600+ kms on the odo) and this speed is after that. Will be going for the second service sometime soon, will have them clarify.
Old 7th May 2018, 10:39   #155
BHPian

hi,
I just picked up KTM Duke 390. i hope to log in a report. meanwhile looking for confirmation that the bike does not come with a manual. is this true??
Old 7th May 2018, 10:52   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudhakarg View Post
hi,
I just picked up KTM Duke 390. i hope to log in a report. meanwhile looking for confirmation that the bike does not come with a manual. is this true??
I did get a manual in 2013. In any case you can get PDF version easily online.
timuseravan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2018, 11:01   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudhakarg View Post
hi,
Yes it is true. You will have to look it up online. There is one here from the KTM site.
abhijeet080808 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2018, 09:39   #158
BHPian

So, my bike has run some 5k+ kms in the last one year. I have not yet upgraded my firmware from v39 to v42 and do not really want to. Everything on my bike is running flawlessly. No hardware issues. And also no software issues except the headlight that sometimes reboots on its own.

That too has a workaround - flip the high beam and the light will never go out. The high beam is connected directly to the handlebar switch and not to the TFT display. The low beam is managed by the TFT display - that is how DRL/Low beam mode of operation and auto headlight is managed and causes the headlight to go out momentarily when the s/w in the display crashes.

Has anyone upgraded the rear shocks to something like Ohlins KT303 on this bike? That by far looks to me to be the most glaring shortcoming on this bike.
Old 21st July 2018, 13:35   #159
BHPian

Just a regular update. Have covered only 3300 kms since last October due to lack of time. Got a call from the KTM service center for doing some modifications on the motorcycle. They have added a cover to protect the ECU from water splashes and also replaced the rubber grommets to softer ones beneath the rear seat.

The bike runs as beautifully as before with no issues whatsoever ( touch wood). Enjoying it thoroughly.

Cheers
aditya.bhardwaj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2018, 19:41   #160
BHPian

So, got the second service done along with the KTM Monsoon camp.

Observations after upgrade of the software from V39 to V42 -

1. Fix of the low oil indication light ON issue that used to happen whenever the engine would be below 4k rpm and the engine would be warmed-up to 4 bars.

2. Fix of headlight reset issue that used to cause the headlight to randomly go out for ~2 secs.

3. Fix of software crash on using bluetooth tethering issue.

Finally, the motorcycle is what it should have been from the factory!
Old 4th September 2018, 11:54   #161
BHPian

Did you guys face any issue with incoming call display on console? I have a Pixel 2 XL and it pairs without any issues. But incoming calls are not displayed. However pressing the set button does start the Google Music Play app. Mine is a Aug 2018 model.

Also I see 2 versions of My Ride app on playstore. One is paid version for 600 bucks? Whats the difference?
Old 10th September 2018, 13:42   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Viper View Post
Did you guys face any issue with incoming call display on console? I have a Pixel 2 XL and it pairs without any issues. But incoming calls are not displayed. However pressing the set button does start the Google Music Play app. Mine is a Aug 2018 model.

Also I see 2 versions of My Ride app on playstore. One is paid version for 600 bucks? Whats the difference?
I see incoming calls using my OP3T phone.

The paid version has navigation support and is ONLY for the 1290 Duke.
Old 10th September 2018, 14:25   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijeet080808 View Post
So, got the second service done along with the KTM Monsoon camp.

Finally, the motorcycle is what it should have been from the factory!
Thats great to hear, i moved to V42 a while ago but thankfully never faced all these issues. Probably because I switched off Bluetooth ever since I lost kms every time I got a call and NEVER switched it back on.
I am around 4200 on the ODO as of now, not ridden long thanks to the horrid weather and work.
I also need to get the updates done as a part of the monsoon updates and sign the new extended warranty.
Old 30th September 2018, 13:46   #164
BHPian

I got a call regarding the new extended warranty yesterday. The dealership is holding my extended warranty card for me. The bike has been reliable on all my long distance trips and I have not faced any problems but it’s good to have the extended warranty even then
Old 9th October 2018, 21:48   #165
BHPian

I took delivery of the white beast on Sunday. I would be using the bike mostly for daily office commutes and weekend jaunts in and around Mumbai, in addition to medium distance touring. Initial impressions:

1. It gets extremely hot real fast. The display showed 5 bars yesterday, while I was stuck in a jam. Was advised by the showroom guys that this is normal before the first service, so not really bothered about it at this point of time.

2. Sometimes, when accelerating from standstill, the bike stalls. Happened quite a few times initially, but was ok today. Might have been an issue with my riding style early on, still in the process of getting accustomed to it.

3. Pain to ride below 2.5K, the engine actually comes to life only after around 3-4K rpm. Even in the run in period, the way it pulls from around 3K all the way to 6K is just amazing! It's difficult to keep it tame and below 7K because the bike begs to be revved! I can only imagine the fun it would be beyond 7K.

4. Bike came with the V41 version. Haven't yet faced the niggles highlighted here on the thread(*touchwood*); that might also be because I haven't paired my phone yet with the TFT.

5. Badly feel the need for a windscreen. A radiator guard and windscreen are going to be my first set of accessories for the bike.

6. Today heard sounds coming from around the front disc brakes, something similar to the one you hear when metal parts rub against each other. This happened only while pulling the front brakes when the bike was a snail's pace(while moving in a traffic jam), while I didn't hear any such sound on braking at a high speed. Doesn't appear to be serious at this point, will monitor it over the next few days and get it checked if gets troublesome. On the whole, the braking is extraordinary and very confidence inspiring.

7. All said and done, on Mumbai roads(and other metro cities for that matter), I've realised that the restrictions of the run-in period itself provides more than enough power for day to day usage, and the full potential of the bike can never be exploited inside the cities. This bike deserves to be taken out on highways and twisties for the meditative experience that it has to offer!

Overall, I'm happy with the package on offer and hoping for a trouble-free ownership.
sharatravan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks