Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2017, 19:58   #121

Re: Ownership Review - 2017 KTM 390 Duke

I have some observations regarding the 2017 duke 390 after riding it for 10.5k+ KMS in roughly 6 months' time. I use it for commute as well as touring. Some of the observation are:

1. Chain will start sounding weird if not cleaned and lubed for over 900 KMS. So I have made it a habit to clean it every 3-4 weeks.

2. Apart from the infamous console, the bike has given me only one mechanical problem: The rear suspension started squealing even while getting the bike off the side stand. It turned out to be a faulty part and was replaced under warranty.

3. I have traveled solo to Jodhpur from Bangalore and back (approx 4000 km). The only maintenance was cleaning and lubing the chain.

4. The pillion seat has come a long way when compared to the older version but still there is some discomfort. To overcome this, I have purchased ride on air seat which has ensured zero complaints by my pillion rider. Win-win situation as far as fun and comfort is concerned.

I have christened it 'Dukus Prime'. I was an RE guy until I got sold on to this bike and Dukus Prime has never let me down on the highway or in the city till date.

Cheers,
Aradhya
Not.The.BetiB is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 26th October 2017, 20:04   #122
BHPian

Guys ,

I have booked a 390. Delivery on Monday. Is there anything specific that I should check as PDI ?
Anything to look out for during Run-in period or precautions ?
Old 29th October 2017, 06:53   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijeet080808 View Post
I am too facing a vibey sound at around 4k rpm. It feels like it is from the radiator shroud or the LED headlight console. I have not yet gotten around to diagnosing it.
Apparently it's a mounting on the headlight that just sits flush with a metal part. The service centre took a look at it and offered to replace my headlight under warranty. They don't have stock so will go next week.
They diagnosed it by putting a ear on the heat sink and revving, I heard something too. But let's see if it fixes that rattle for good.
Old 30th October 2017, 08:26   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revv_maniac View Post
Guys ,

I have booked a 390. Delivery on Monday. Is there anything specific that I should check as PDI ?
Anything to look out for during Run-in period or precautions ?
PDI should be same as any other bike. I don't think there should be anything specific for this bike.

As for run-in, just keep the rpm below 7k for the first 1k kms. Short bursts with the engine warmed up is allowed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfreak15 View Post
Apparently it's a mounting on the headlight that just sits flush with a metal part. The service centre took a look at it and offered to replace my headlight under warranty. They don't have stock so will go next week.
They diagnosed it by putting a ear on the heat sink and revving, I heard something too. But let's see if it fixes that rattle for good.
Please let us know if that solves the problem. I somehow doubt the headlight is causing the vibes - at least on my bike!
Old 5th January 2018, 21:59   #125
rbp
BHPian

Ah, I thought I am the only one not active on the Duke thread .

Well, my bike has completed 2500 kms, no mechanical issues so far except the chain needs cleaning and lubing every 400 to 500 kms. I once connected the famous KTM bluetooth enabled console to my phone, by the time I reached office the console had already crashed once and the odo was reset to an older number. I just cannot believe KTM launched this bike with such poor software, there is more manufacturing defect on my bike, one of the sides of the AirFilter screw is placed below the metal fuel tank, how could they do this, I have to tilt the screw driver to access the screw.
Off late my bike was choking on hard acceleration, I thought of having a look at the AirFilter as it was already a little dirty during first service, I brought a replacement filter from the KTM service and opened the AirFilter box and to my shock, I see this. Old one next to the new one, this was at 2400 kms. Bangalore air quality for everyone to see . I am going to inspect the AirFilter after every 1000 kms going forward, just to get an idea. After replacing the air filter the bike is running fine.

Ownership Review - 2017 KTM 390 Duke-img_20171230_184758.jpg
rbp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th January 2018, 23:42   #126
BHPian

The Duke 390 is now available in the white shade for India as well. I beleive when the first batch was launched the white shade was made available by mistake in limited numbers here before they stopped it and kept it only for the European markets.
Well, I guess KTM have decided to launch this shade in India now properly and it is available for booking. Booked one today at the Mekhri circle showroom in Bangalore.
nambiarshreyas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th January 2018, 11:44   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nambiarshreyas View Post
The Duke 390 is now available in the white shade for India as well.
KTM India web-site too seems updated to reflect the same. http://www.ktm.com/in/naked-bike/390...#productheader. Good decision by KTM, I would say. Breaks the monotony of seeing the 390 in orange alone.
Quote:
Booked one today at the Mekhri circle showroom in Bangalore.
Could you kindly elicit the break-up, if you don't mind Shreyas ?
tabrez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2018, 12:44   #128
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

This is great news - I was checking the website 2-3 days ago and saw the white Duke 390 listed. But was not sure if it was available for the Indian market. This looks much better than the orange one.
v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2018, 13:21   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbp View Post
Well, my bike has completed 2500 kms
Mine has completed some 2900 kms (no track of actual kms taking the "rollback" due to console crash into account! ). I have also stopped using the bluetooth functionality. I expected KTM to fix this by now.

Other than that, the bike has kind of settled into a groove and is doing daily commuting duties rather well. The engine sound has grown a bit deeper and it sounds nice when the bike is revved to above 6k or so rpm.

The air filter image is shocking at just 2500 kms! Mine does not show any hesitation while accelerating though. I will make sure to replace it at the next service.
Old 7th January 2018, 16:26   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabrez View Post
Could you kindly elicit the break-up, if you don't mind Shreyas ?
Sure, this of course is the Bangalore pricing.
Ex showroom: 2,39,272, Ltt: 56319, Smart card Charges: 500, Total: 2,95, 591

Last edited by nambiarshreyas : 7th January 2018 at 16:27.
nambiarshreyas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2018, 19:52   #131
rbp
BHPian

Quote:
Sure, this of course is the Bangalore pricing.
Is that with 3 year's insurance?
Old 7th January 2018, 20:08   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
I exactly had the similar thoughts after reading Shreyas's response on the OTR. A couple of months ago, Marathahalli KTM & an other dealership (I think, HRBR or so) had given me a quote in the vicinity of Rs.2.83L. This was Post-GST era & karnataka State Govt. hiking the road tax to 18%. Have been trying to find that quote all evening but with little success.

OR is it that the White variant is being retailed at a premium compared to the orange ?
Old 8th January 2018, 14:31   #133
BHPian

Quote:
I wish. No, this is with 1-year insurance. The insurance amount is around Rs.6500/- for a year and it is around 49,800 on LTT and Regn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabrez View Post
OR is it that the White variant is being retailed at a premium compared to the orange ?
Not really. The orange model is also priced the same now. The ex-showroom has gone up in 2018 and along with it the tax component. At-least, this is what I was told at the showroom. Did not cross check with another showroom.

Last edited by aah78 : 8th January 2018 at 19:33. Reason: 2019 -> 2018. Typos fixed.
Old 8th January 2018, 19:28   #134
rbp
BHPian

Quote:
I wish. No, this is with 1-year insurance. The insurance amount is around Rs.6500/- for a year and it is around 49,800 on LTT and Regn.

Not really. The orange model is also priced the same now. The ex-showroom has gone up in 2018 and along with it the tax component. At-least, this is what I was told at the showroom. Did not cross check with another showroom.
Wow. The Duke390 is one over priced bike now, I had paid 289000 with 3 years insurance in August. By the way don't have high hopes on that funky looking shitty TFT console, one of the worst components on the bike, it is almost useless according to me. Even the clock on the TFT gets out of sync within a day, shame on KTM for launching a bike with such buggy software.

Last edited by aah78 : 8th January 2018 at 19:32. Reason: Typos in quote.
Old 8th January 2018, 20:05   #135
BHPian

Quote:
By the way don't have high hopes on that funky looking shitty TFT console, one of the worst components on the bike, it is almost useless according to me. Even the clock on the TFT gets out of sync within a day, shame on KTM for launching a bike with such buggy software.
Got that Rbp, keeping my hopes rock bottom on the console and sky high for the engine and performance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks