Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2018, 15:13   #46
BHPian

Re: Yamaha FZ25 : An Owner's Point of View

Quote:
Originally Posted by indivic View Post
My bike seems to run rougher after this procedure compared to how it was before, not sure if I should change the oil. The entire procedure was done in my presence and I am sure nothing else was done.
That is strange indeed. Did they use a torque wrench with the correct torque setting? Most service centres and some videos that I've seen on the recall repair, the technicians seem to just use a normal wrench. As per my knowledge, torque setting should be 8~10 Nm.
MadRasTan4986 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2018, 15:26   #47
BANNED

Quote:
Just about reaching 1K on the ODO, my first service is done and oil change completed. Bike was running smoother after the oil change prior to this. Let me keep an eye on the oil

I kinda expect it to be psychological, since I am getting back to biking after about 10 years gap.
Ah! That explains it!

Though technically your run in gets done within the first 50 ~ 150 km's(15 km's as per an international manual I read) it would still take some time for oil wear to be uniform.

Personally my oil change intervals are as follows(all my MC's have had sumps around the 1L mark);

1st 50~150 km's.
2nd 500~750 km's.
From 3rd on wards 2k interval drains.

And I always made it a point to change the oil filter on every oil change, so yeah you can say that I was a little paranoid

Also if it makes you feel any better my P220 was always acting up(gear slips and starter clutch slips) which got me worried but following the advice of a long term owner I decided to ignore it and followed my usual maintenance schedule and surprisingly after the 10k mark all the issues went away like magic.
ashwinprakas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th January 2018, 19:20   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRasTan4986 View Post
That is strange indeed. Did they use a torque wrench with the correct torque setting? Most service centres and some videos that I've seen on the recall repair, the technicians seem to just use a normal wrench. As per my knowledge, torque setting should be 8~10 Nm.
Oops, I am not too sure. I think he used a T shaped socket wrench for it. How can we check the torque setting?
indivic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2018, 13:11   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Oops, I am not too sure. I think he used a T shaped socket wrench for it. How can we check the torque setting?
Please ask the service guys to recheck the torque of the bolt with a torque wrench. Any authorised service centre will have a torque wrench. I'll find a good link on how to check the same.

Were you asked to sign any form on completion of the recall job previously?
Old 17th January 2018, 13:55   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Please ask the service guys to recheck the torque of the bolt with a torque wrench. Any authorised service centre will have a torque wrench. I'll find a good link on how to check the same.

Were you asked to sign any form on completion of the recall job previously?
I made a mistake going to this dealer to buy the FZ-25, they don't seem to be a professional outfit even though they are now under the Khivraj group. Let me get it checked with the dealership where I got my 1st service done.

I did not sign any form, I just signed on the OUT register when taking my bike.

Thanks
Old 17th January 2018, 15:33   #51
BHPian

Quote:
I made a mistake going to this dealer to buy the FZ-25, they don't seem to be a professional outfit even though they are now under the Khivraj group. Let me get it checked with the dealership where I got my 1st service done.

I did not sign any form, I just signed on the OUT register when taking my bike.

Thanks
https://www.familyhandyman.com/tools...ench/view-all/

The above article is a pretty nice and brief description on torque wrenches.

Which dealership are you planning on getting it checked at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Ah! That explains it!

Though technically your run in gets done within the first 50 ~ 150 km's(15 km's as per an international manual I read) it would still take some time for oil wear to be uniform.
Very good point.

Quote:
Personally my oil change intervals are as follows(all my MC's have had sumps around the 1L mark);

1st 50~150 km's.
2nd 500~750 km's.
From 3rd on wards 2k interval drains.

And I always made it a point to change the oil filter on every oil change, so yeah you can say that I was a little paranoid
That is a very very meticulous schedule and maintenance procedure you're following. Kudos to you.

Quote:
following the advice of a long term owner I decided to ignore it and followed my usual maintenance schedule and surprisingly after the 10k mark all the issues went away like magic.
Patience and good will is the key. Good to know this worked for you very well.

Last edited by ajmat : 17th January 2018 at 17:18.
Old 17th January 2018, 17:32   #52
BHPian

Quote:
https://www.familyhandyman.com/tools...ench/view-all/

The above article is a pretty nice and brief description on torque wrenches.

Which dealership are you planning on getting it checked at?
Thanks mate for the article, will read it up. I was planning to get it checked at Shanti Motors, but I guess I will have to go back to these guys again.

This is what happened today : Got a call from Yamaha (was a Chennai number though) , the person was following up on the recall work, he asked if I had fixed the appointment with dealer to get the work done.

I told him what happened i.e. only Loctite and nothing else. He asked twice to confirm I knew what I was saying, he put me on hold, called the dealer and gave them some instructions. I was assured that O-ring also needs to be replaced and dealership will call me to fix up the appointment. Sure enough, got a call from the service team within the hour, the lady mumbled something like a half-apology and asked me to bring the bike around.

It seems Yamaha had instructed them to change the O-ring also and these guys did not even bother to check till I forced them to open and show me.

@Samba - I will drop you a PM with the Chennai number, not sure if they will co-ordinate/follow up for WB , but they should be able to tell you who does. So please check if O-ring needs to be replaced on your bike as well.
Old 17th January 2018, 19:35   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Should've insisted on them changing the consumables involved, personally opening something up and putting it back without changing the consumables seriously dents my confidence in using the motorcycle for anything more than 500 km runs.
Quote:
@Samba - I will drop you a PM with the Chennai number, not sure if they will co-ordinate/follow up for WB , but they should be able to tell you who does. So please check if O-ring needs to be replaced on your bike as well.
Thanks indivic, i called up the number, but they told me to call me tomorrow morning.

The very next moment i called up S.N.C.Yamaha (where i went for the recall) & told them, am going to call up Yamaha motors tomorrow and confirm whether the O-Ring needs to be changed or not. He (service adviser) promptly told me, he has changed the O-Ring in my bike.

In reply, i told him that the mechanic didn't mention me that. But according to him, if i bring the bike back to him he can show me that he has changed the O-ring & without changing the O-Ring this work cant be done. He is saying changing the O-ring is must and he has done that. If its not done, there will be oil leakage in future & he will be caught! God knows how he will show that and i doubt whether he is lying or not.

But he confidently told me that the O-Ring was changed under his supervision.
Lets hope for the best! I will keep an eye for any oil leakage.

Last edited by Samba : 17th January 2018 at 19:42.
Old 17th January 2018, 19:58   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
The very next moment i called up S.N.C.Yamaha (where i went for the recall) & told them, am going to call up Yamaha motors tomorrow and confirm whether the O-Ring needs to be changed or not. He (service adviser) promptly told me, he has changed the O-Ring in my bike.

In reply, i told him that the mechanic didn't mention me that. But according to him, if i bring the bike back to him he can show me that he has changed the O-ring & without changing the O-Ring this work cant be done. He is saying changing the O-ring is must and he has done that. If its not done, there will be oil leakage in future & he will be caught! God knows how he will show that and i doubt whether he is lying or not.

But he confidently told me that the O-Ring was changed under his supervision.
Lets hope for the best! I will keep an eye for any oil leakage.
I believe O-rings are not expensive, not sure how much the dealer is going to save from not replacing them. I would suggest that you call the Yamaha Sales team tomorrow and request them to instruct the dealer to change the O-ring.

In my case the floor manager asked me to move to the customer lounge and watch the work, I replied that you are working on the right side of the bike and the lounge is on the left side so how can I watch ?

The technician who worked on my bike was not at all confident to even open the plate and show me the gasket and O-ring, he warned me that if he did it there might be oil leak in future and I should not blame them. I am not sure if he was the guy who got trained on FZ-25 or subbing for someone else.

I just hope that Yamaha does not end up goofing up this recall due to the incompetence of the service teams inspite of them wishing well for customers.
Old 18th January 2018, 02:22   #55
BANNED

Quote:
Yamaha FZ25 : An Owner's Point of View-22424170_1417884318333118_5137218035991949477_o.jpg

This is what a torque wrench looks like, you set the recommended torque as mentioned in your workshop manual and tighten the nut/bolt in question, when you reach the correct torque it clicks/clips.

Don't worry too much about it, whats done is done.

After a while of working with machines you get used to things and would not necessarily require a torque wrench, though not recommended.
ashwinprakas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2018, 13:05   #56
BHPian

Does anyone notice a ringing sound coming from the upper end of the FZ25 engine? My brother's bike has dome about 600kms ( 1st service done) and that faint timing chain like noise keeps coming.
The dealer told me that all bikes have it mostly.
Crankpin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2018, 18:02   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankpin View Post
Does anyone notice a ringing sound coming from the upper end of the FZ25 engine? My brother's bike has dome about 600kms ( 1st service done) and that faint timing chain like noise keeps coming.
The dealer told me that all bikes have it mostly.
I have heard about this coin ringing/ rattling sound coming from few bikes but my bike do not have any such sound till now. Mine is having around 700km on the odo. I was a bit skeptical, so i checked it myself and reconfirmed there is no such sound from a local FNG. Definitely all bikes do not have this sound. You please get it checked from another Yamaha service center.

Last edited by Samba : 18th January 2018 at 18:10.
Old 18th January 2018, 20:27   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankpin View Post
Does anyone notice a ringing sound coming from the upper end of the FZ25 engine?
Does the FZ25 have rubber blocks inserted amongst the fins?

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2018, 20:43   #59
BHPian

I don’t think so. But this ringing/ chain like noise is coming from the top end of the engine.
Seems most probably from the timing chain or the valvetrain
Crankpin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2018, 23:51   #60
BHPian

Excellent review and my heartiest congratulation on your new purchase. Yamaha brand is very nostalgic to me as Rx100 of my maternal uncle was the 1st and last bike, I rode myself. After that due to some family pressure my lust for riding a bike has gone to oblivion . Anyways that is a separate story, will tell you someday, but one thing I must say an avid rider and a master piece driver is a rare combo and you are one. So keep on your riding as well as driving passion and go on posting your fascinating travelogues as well as detailed reviews for us. Much love and best wishes, waiting eagerly for a ride as pillion with you.
Sayata is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks