Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2019, 13:07   #331
BANNED

re: KTM 390 Adventure India launch confirmed. Edit: Launched at 2.99 lakh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post
As per your view what they could have done with this launch.

What one should be riding as a ADV bike in India? Or say a bike capable of munching miles and ready to eat some bad patches as well.
This launch is perfect for the average Joe on the lookout for his first/secondary motorcycle, bang for the buck offering that ticks most if not all boxes.

But then we have to accept that what he considers as adventure is merely being able to ride on broken tarmac and tackle potholes and unscientific speedbreakers without bottoming out.

Now for someone like me, this offering simply doesnt do anything more that the Karizma that was launched in 2003 had to offer, cause when thinking about it, the Karizma could easily much 1000 km's a day on half decent highways, still holds the record for the highest cruising average on Indian roads if I'm not wrong.

The suspension was plush to handle bad roads and moderate off roads, the long stroke motor had enough low end oomph that you'd not need to slip clutch to gain momentum on the trails and on the open highways 100kmph cruising was almost effortless that its superior ergonomic comfort could lull you to sleep and last but not least the 500kms tank range was simply a class apart comparing the decent performance on offer.

On paper the motorcycles qued for 2020 does seem to offer a lot but when I try to see things practically they simply don't seem to add up, cause an offering from 2 decades ago seem to have had us Indians covered.

Not sure my reasoning would apply to all, but this is honestly why I feel that the KTM ADV would not open any new avenues than the Duke 390 already has opened for the Indian rider, it would definitely sell, but after a few splashes of mud, they'd either end up in the used market or retire to running usual errands.

Quote:
Curious as I already tried mini adv bike and sold how fast I could have.
And as per my experience a big adv bike, a 600-650 cc dual purpose bike and one 250-450 cc pure off road/dirt bike is essential for an ideal initial shape of garage.
Now this is subjective.

If your riding style requires two different motorcycles, then well and good.

Personally for me I'd prefer to opt for a Jack of all trades of sorts, cause like Odd Thomas, I take the roads as and when they come, and at times would simply not be presented with the opportunity to go back home and swap rides.

Regards,
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 10th December 2019, 14:11   #332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
This launch is perfect for the average Joe on the lookout for his first/secondary motorcycle, bang for the buck offering that ticks most if not all boxes.

Personally for me I'd prefer to opt for a Jack of all trades of sorts, cause like Odd Thomas, I take the roads as and when they come, and at times would simply not be presented with the opportunity to go back home and swap rides.

Regards,
A.P.
A.P. - You stole my thoughts. I had refrained myself from replying to earlier heated comments about lack of adjustable suspension, we being short changed etc etc.

In the not so distant past (2017), me along with 2 other friends did a K2K on the humble dominar and we missed the long travel suspension, windscreen, and luggage mounting points. Never did we miss the spoke wheels though.

The 390 adventure ticks all these boxes and i am sure for many riders looking to embark on cross country rides this will prove to be boon.

Hardcore (spoke wheel fanatics) will definitely be disappointed.

I for one, am looking forward to this motorcycle to give company to my Int650 and Mach500 and may replace my D400 with it.

Just in case you wanted to see the K2K ride

Regards,
Adi
adityasiera is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th December 2019, 18:36   #333
BHPian

Those that want a lazy, lethargic bike that can chug along and do some mild off-road , there is the Himalayan. Those that want a high revving engine that could do a bit of off-road had the versus 300. Those that want a mild off-road bike that has some bragging rights have the gs310. Those that want something in between now have the adv 390. For those on a tight budget there is the xpulse 200. And those that would not buy any of these because it doesn't come with adjustable suspension can wait another 5 years until that " perfect bike" arrives.

I am just glad this category is picking up pace and we have more options than , say 6-7 years ago.
nitro.1000bhp is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th December 2019, 00:17   #334
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And as per my experience a big adv bike, a 600-650 cc dual purpose bike and one 250-450 cc pure off road/dirt bike is essential for an ideal initial shape of garage.
You can get a KTM 790 Adv OR 690 Enduro for that price and keep one motorcycle that can do both the jobs!
Old 11th December 2019, 09:53   #335
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
You can get a KTM 790 Adv OR 690 Enduro for that price and keep one motorcycle that can do both the jobs!
Both these bikes are not available in India.
Old 11th December 2019, 16:24   #336
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityasiera View Post
I for one, am looking forward to this motorcycle to give company to my Int650 and Mach500 and may replace my D400 with it.
Are you ok to spend say 3.5 Lakhs OTR for this to replace the dominar which took you through K2K?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro.1000bhp View Post
Those that want a lazy, lethargic bike that can chug along and do some mild off-road , there is the Himalayan.
EFI one's are not lazy or lethargic anymore and it can do medium to hard terrain that we find in a trail. So this is a great choice and super value for money if you ask me.

Quote:
Those that want a high revving engine that could do a bit of off-road had the versus 300.
Again at the price point, it offers pretty much nothing. It is a pain for long commutes and the lack of low end grunt makes it too much of a bother on a slow trail.

Quote:
Those that want a mild off-road bike that has some bragging rights have the gs310.
Again priced to "fail at launch" and that terrible reliability track record.

Quote:
Those that want something in between now have the adv 390.
You nailed it with "something", it will be neither here nor there and lost its identity and USP.

Quote:
For those on a tight budget there is the xpulse 200.
Strictly for carrying on the trucks loading bay to the trail and then having a hoot throwing it around silly.

Quote:
And those that would not buy any of these because it doesn't come with adjustable suspension can wait another 5 years until that " perfect bike" arrives.
huh 390 adventure in its international avatar and say 4 lakhs price point is close as perfect right?

Quote:
I am just glad this category is picking up pace and we have more options than , say 6-7 years ago.
Absolutely, hope all of it had some soul also in them since that is what motorcycling means.. i.e if you move little away from the commuter viewpoint we are used to.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Both these bikes are not available in India.
We can keep wishing, but the reality is we are in a jinxed market ridden with crappy policy and number game
Jaggu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th December 2019, 17:49   #337
BHPian

A tech-minimal bike with long travel suspension and a fairly torquey motor is the need of the day.Pretty much an old school light weight bike on steroids. Is this too much to ask from bike manufacturers today?

Bike manufacturers are here for our money and not our friendship/goodwill. It's time we stop bending over backwards to accept whatever is dished out in the name of improvements and justify the super high price tags.
Neo18 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2019, 18:04   #338
Senior - BHPian

PatienceWins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2019, 23:50   #339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post

EFI one's are not lazy or lethargic anymore and it can do medium to hard terrain that we find in a trail. So this is a great choice and super value for money if you ask me.
I have ridden both carbed and efi ones. Though the efi is more refined it still has the same character. Ie.long stroke; more low end torque but will still shake the fillings outta your teeth post 110kph. The engine is still lazy...and the chassis is still lethargic in the way it turns due to its odd weight distribution. But hey, if one likes that kind of riding then why not? To each his/her own.

Quote:
Again at the price point, it offers pretty much nothing. It is a pain for long commutes and the lack of low end grunt makes it too much of a bother on a slow trail.
Some like it and some don't..price is a factor but it's not the bike's fault...if it's not your cup of tea then it isn't mate. Au contraire, It is actually not bad on mundane droneways..the sweet spot is between 8-12k rpms.

Quote:
Again priced to "fail at launch" and that terrible reliability track record.
Yep..BMW got too greedy and so did the dealers. But like you said, poor reliability didn't help it's case.

Quote:
You nailed it with "something", it will be neither here nor there and lost its identity and USP.
Jeez! wait till you test ride it would you? All we have is some numbers on paper. Himalayan has better numbers for sure but we all know how it bottoms out on bigger hits. The enfield may have 200mm of GC and 180mm of travel but the damping characteristics are poor.. meaning- it isn't that progressive and despite the higher GC it still lands hard on its arse..and about the USP? I don't know about you but I think KTM engineers would do a damn sight better job than me at setting up a suspension for most terrains and conditions . If given the choice I bet 90% of us would not know how to setup a suspension properly and more often than not make it worse still.

Quote:
Strictly for carrying on the trucks loading bay to the trail and then having a hoot throwing it around silly.
Rode my impulzma across the country. But I'd agree with you now. Can't do that again. This thing truly COMES ALIVE alive when taken off-road. Just wished there were fewer dreary highways between the fun stops. Can't really afford a pickup truck now though.sigh!

Quote:
huh 390 adventure in its international avatar and say 4 lakhs price point is close as perfect right?
Yep until something more perfect comes along. All bikes are equal but some are more equal than the other I suppose . ( I need sleep..pronto)

Quote:
Absolutely, hope all of it had some soul also in them since that is what motorcycling means.. i.e if you move little away from the commuter viewpoint we are used to.
Most of them (dirty bikes) do have souls..but they need to be taken to that ragged edge where they thrive to experience their full potential. We are in an age where knowledge is freely available and everyone seems to know everything about everything. But somethings need to be felt before we come to a conclusion.

MOD NOTE:- Please do not use bold fonts in your sentences unless it is really required. Also, please try to start your sentence/s with capital letters.

Thank You.

Last edited by Sheel : 12th December 2019 at 10:20. Reason: Mod note attached.
nitro.1000bhp is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th December 2019, 09:08   #340
BANNED

Quote:
Both are different bike all together, you can't compare them.
My current ride is Tiger 800 XCX but I am keen on shifting towards Papa GS purely for adv rides along with light weight dual purpose 600-700 cc bike(KTM 690 enduro fits there) and one pure off road 250-450 cc bike(super light, powerful and top of the line shocks).

Trust me people swear by having only one light weight bike to do all job have not ridden big guns around.
They should try them once before coming to conclusion.
It's not a question of doing 1000 kms in a day, it's question how comfortably once can do 1000 kms in a day.
I cant take offroad bike on long 1000 km ride or enduro bike with knobby tyres on highway.
All these are made for purpose and they serve better when used for the purpose they are made for.

Last edited by Ajaybiz : 12th December 2019 at 09:14. Reason: added missing points
Ajaybiz is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th December 2019, 09:31   #341
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo18 View Post
A tech-minimal bike with long travel suspension and a fairly torquey motor is the need of the day.Pretty much an old school light weight bike on steroids. Is this too much to ask from bike manufacturers today?

Bike manufacturers are here for our money and not our friendship/goodwill. It's time we stop bending over backwards to accept whatever is dished out in the name of improvements and justify the super high price tags.
The Himalayan BS3, if you don't consider the niggles was truly the tech minimal bike. The major USP on the BS3 was in case of a flat Battery, the bike could be push started with ease and moreover it was carbed. I wish RE could improve the quality a bit more.

Meanwhile, another "Haathi mat palo" type statement by KTM India
https://www.rushlane.com/ktm-390-adv...-12345696.html

Last edited by rakesh_r : 12th December 2019 at 09:58.
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2019, 09:36   #342
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I cant take offroad bike on long 1000 km ride or enduro bike with knobby tyres on highway.
All these are made for purpose and they serve better when used for the purpose they are made for.
I usually find the best trails 1000+ kms and many days away from home.

And therein lies the need for a bike that can do both.

This 390 motor fills that gap to some extent. A 490 parallel twin in three years will be a nice step up.
Red Liner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th December 2019, 10:11   #343
BANNED

Quote:
This 390 motor fills that gap to some extent. A 490 parallel twin in three years will be a nice step up.
Considering that I tried baby GS as it's really light to do small trails, took it to Badami and Dandelli ride and after that ride I sold the bike, they can do high speeds with big bikes on highway but I found that I was utilizing it's 90-100% capacity all the time, risky for the rider as well for the bike.
Few friends are using Isuzu V cross to carry their bikes (including tigers with off road tyres, as they can't ride it on highway when life is hardy 6-8k kms) to trails or mountains.
May be my theory of multiple bikes may go off once we have a good power packed with lightweight bike including good suspension setup.

MOD NOTE:- Please do NOT post about illegally high speeds on public roads.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules.

Last edited by Sheel : 12th December 2019 at 10:25.
Ajaybiz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th December 2019, 10:55   #344
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Considering that I tried baby GS as it's really light to do small trails, took it to Badami and Dandelli ride and after that ride I sold the bike, they can do high speeds with big bikes on highway but I found that I was utilizing it's 90-100% capacity all the time, risky for the rider as well for the bike.
Few friends are using Isuzu V cross to carry their bikes (including tigers with off road tyres, as they can't ride it on highway when life is hardy 6-8k kms) to trails or mountains.
May be my theory of multiple bikes may go off once we have a good power packed with lightweight bike including good suspension setup.
I also think who you ride with is a big equation here. If you ride a smaller capacity bike on road with these big bike buddies, you are only playing catch up and asking for trouble.

Since selling the versys, i have consiously avoided riding with my friends who own it because neither do i want to be high strung in trying to keep up and nor do i want them to feel like they have to ride at my pace.

Come offroad, and none of these guys on the big bikes want to be around. Truth be told, when i call some of them to join me on a ride, the first thing they ask or rather plead for is "let there be no offroad".

But i don't really care about droning a billion miles on the highway anymore and staying at hotels with secure parking for my expensive luxury land barge, there is no technique, no thrill, no adventure and it is infinitely more dangerous than when going offroad. The roads are just the means to my end. If i have to drone a billion miles of flat land, i just want to get done with it asap and there better be two months of trails thereafter at the destination.

So maybe you should have kept the baby gs and gotten rid of your riding buddies instead

Last edited by Red Liner : 12th December 2019 at 10:58.
Red Liner is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th December 2019, 11:04   #345
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Trust me people swear by having only one light weight bike to do all job have not ridden big guns around.
===
Absolutely!

Last 3 months i have been using Tiger XRX, GS 1200, Duke and then did the Utharkhand trip on the Impulse EFI and trust me nothing comes close to GS while munching kms and soft trails (as long as it is moving). And when it stops! (oh boy it can) and if on a slippery rock or granite, only thing you can do is bailout. From that perspective Tiger though top-heavy was much easier to handle due to less weight (40 kg does matter on a slipper sideways drop), but on highway definitely 20% less comfy. Now comes the impulse, which was super fun and carefree to throw around, but sorry boss it just doesn't have the power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro.1000bhp View Post

Jeez! wait till you test ride it would you? All we have is some numbers on paper. Himalayan has better numbers for sure but we all know how it bottoms out on bigger hits. The enfield may have 200mm of GC and 180mm of travel but the damping characteristics are poor.. meaning- it isn't that progressive and despite the higher GC it still lands hard on its arse
If they price it reasonable or load it with suspension as an option, i am getting one without a test ride. I have already signed up at a dealer FYI.

Quote:
I don't know about you but I think KTM engineers would do a damn sight better job than me at setting up a suspension for most terrains and conditions . If given the choice I bet 90% of us would not know how to setup a suspension properly and more often than not make it worse still.
It's got nothing to do with KTM, it is the folks in India that i am worried about. And once again let me tell you it is a very basic adjustment that anyone can do in matter of minutes.

Quote:
But somethings need to be felt before we come to a conclusion.
True but i don't think any of the folks responding here are novice's most are hardied riders and owns or owned a wide variety of bikes.

Quote:
My used case is different and does not have the long transporting segments, i would prefer to keep the 390 for city and for being transported to far ends. In between the tiger works well. So engine i am pretty ok, but i defenitely need an option to make the bike more broken road-friendly when needed.

Quote:
Sadly this might not happen because of the physics, comfort = weight = bulck. Agility = light = sleek and small.

Last edited by Jaggu : 12th December 2019 at 11:06.
Jaggu is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks