Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2020, 18:38   #421
Team-BHP Support

Re: KTM 390 Adventure India launch confirmed. Edit: Launched at 2.99 lakh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avinash_R View Post
Well, my cousin wanted to book one immediately and went to the showroom. No bike there yet. Apparently only one booking in the last 24 hrs in that branch compared to 30-40 bookings when the new 390 was launched.

Was the above pic taken from a showroom? Which one, if yes..
It is bound to happen, 1 it is not a cheap bike once it crosses 3 lakhs on the road price tag, so people would definitely think twice. Especially since there are bikes like Himalayan at more than a lakh lesser. 2 One of the worst managed launch i have seen in my lifetime. No clarity on date, price and specs, then suddenly folks are informed by media. 3 the seat height is definitely a concern for many average built indians. 4 The adventure market is not as popular as the phurr phurr gang

This was apparently Indira Nagar KTM but the sales executive denied it when i pinged him, whereas the source mentioned it is. Anyhow things will be clearer by next week, so hold on till then. It is not like these bikes are going to fly off the showroom with all of the above points aligned well against it.

Last edited by Jaggu : 21st January 2020 at 18:39.
Jaggu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st January 2020, 20:46   #422
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
And you need long inseam if you need to be comfortable with the stock seat height

Attachment 1959405

Again shared by a friend on whatsapp. Thought this migh be relevant to folks wondering, i guess 32" plus inseam should be ok.
Jaggu sir, Whats the height of the rider in the pic above?

Maddy
Old 21st January 2020, 21:09   #423
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laxman9192 View Post
Such great news on the pricing of the bike!
I have had my eyes on the Versys 650 for a while now but just couldn't get myself to splurge that kind of moolah. The KTM does all that the Versys can do and more which coupled with that price is a steal!
Actually no - V650 and 390ADV are two totally different bikes. If you want to munch miles on roads - V650 is far superior with far more power in reserve & a relaxed twin cylinder engine. For trail bashing - 390ADV is a better choice. You need to be clear on what you need from the bike
ethanhunt123 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st January 2020, 21:28   #424
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
Actually no - V650 and 390ADV are two totally different bikes. If you want to munch miles on roads - V650 is far superior with far more power in reserve & a relaxed twin cylinder engine. For trail bashing - 390ADV is a better choice. You need to be clear on what you need from the bike
Actually for pure trail bashing xpulse is the best of the lot new. And it makes even more sense to buy an old impulse and kit it up.

Where the v650 really scores is two up road touring with luggage and better wind protection from the elements.

Unfortunately that is also its achilles heel in terms of weight and all that crazy plastic.

You can't have it all.
Red Liner is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st January 2020, 21:31   #425
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
You can't have it all.
Actually you can almost have it all But i know we wont agree on it
Old 21st January 2020, 21:36   #426
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Actually you can almost have it all But i know we wont agree on it
See proof is in the pudding.

I will join you on the highway.

You come offroad with me.

Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2020, 21:37   #427
BANNED

Watching that video posted couple of pages back, I am somehow not liking how it is bouncing around so much in the trail, doesn't seem composed and standing up doesn't look that natural either, at least as per the video.

The pricing is very good indeed for this Adv bike regardless of how it compares with other peers.
Old 21st January 2020, 21:39   #428
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
See proof is in the pudding.

I will join you on the highway.

You come offroad with me.

I never said i am talking about myself I have neither interest nor competence to go offroading
Old 21st January 2020, 21:44   #429
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
Watching that video posted couple of pages back, I am somehow not liking how it is bouncing around so much in the trail, doesn't seem composed and standing up doesn't look that natural either, at least as per the video.

The pricing is very good indeed for this Adv bike regardless of how it compares with other peers.
At that speed, thats how you stand. You move the weight bias to the front to ensure the front wheel has traction and sticks,and you bend your knees further to absorb shocks. Its very different to standing on the pegs to tackle bad roads.

Rest of it, no comment because i have no idea how the suspension is set up.

Risers should sort out handle bar to hand distance.
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 08:22   #430
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Apparently only one booking in the last 24 hrs in that branch compared to 30-40 bookings when the new 390 was launched.
That is unfortunate. Then again, not everyone has ~3.5lacs to give away just like that, on a motorcycle. Pricing is good, no doubt. Could also be a reflection of the not so up beat market in the automotive sector.

I stood in a line to book my 390 and ended up waiting almost 3 months to get on the bike. The wait was worth it and I sure it will be the same for this motorcycle.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 10:02   #431
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
As received through whatsapp
I think this is the first time we're seeing the production spec ADV put through its paces. Looks fantastic!

Quote:
Apparently only one booking in the last 24 hrs in that branch compared to 30-40 bookings when the new 390 was launched.
Most who were planning on getting this have already bought a GS, VERSYS, Himalayan, Xpulse and what not. KTM failed to really ride the hype wave it started in 2013, and everyone cashed in! Even benelli managed to unload the TRK502

Last edited by ashwin1224 : 22nd January 2020 at 10:02. Reason: Removed links
ashwin1224 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 10:08   #432
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin1224 View Post
I

Most who were planning on getting this have already bought a GS, VERSYS, Himalayan, Xpulse and what not. KTM failed to really ride the hype wave it started in 2013, and everyone cashed in! Even benelli managed to unload the TRK502
And quite a few of us have sold or are in the process of selling above bikes

Trust me... All the whatsapp groups are buzzing with "my bike is up for sale".
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 11:04   #433
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Jaggu sir, Whats the height of the rider in the pic above?

Maddy
No idea but from the looks of it the person may not be very tall / have short inseam. Please no sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Could also be a reflection of the not so up beat market in the automotive sector.
This too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin1224 View Post
Yes, the delay definitely has caused a dent, but then again there are a bunch who would jump in and change to something new.

Quote:
For me I will never replace, or think of replacing tiger with this. 390 adventure is purely for the office duty, since i do care about the expensive tiger clutch and the horrible traffic from Indira Nagar to Brookfields. And for carefree shipping by truck, otherwise small adventure bike, however capable it maybe can't replace a bigger more powerful bike for touring. And for folks like me who do mild trails, tiger works very well.

Today i rode Tiger to the office and i was wondering why am I buying the KTM lol, even if I replace the clutch 6 times Tiger would be cheaper to use lol

Then again today was relatively easy traffic to work
Jaggu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 11:40   #434
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
I remember the madness. Guys were actually waiting Qued-up at the Indiranagar showroom door since 4am. I reached at 10:30 am and my booking number was 27 at that showroom. OTR was 2.13L in Bangalore at that time. Thats the power of a powerful naked/street.

Quote:
It is bound to happen, 1 it is not a cheap bike once it crosses 3 lakhs on the road price tag, so people would definitely think twice. Especially since there are bikes like Himalayan at more than a lakh lesser. 2 One of the worst managed launch i have seen in my lifetime. No clarity on date, price and specs, then suddenly folks are informed by media. 3 the seat height is definitely a concern for many average built indians. 4 The adventure market is not as popular as the phurr phurr gang
+1 Yes, the 390 Adv will not sell like its naked siblings or the fully faired RCs. The seat height and OTR price in excess of 3.5L in Bangalore will not help the cause either. 390 Adv visually does not look as appealing or eye candy as the duke or the RC, and a lot of people base their purchases on aesthetics. Having said that, Adventure is a niche segment, but slowly picking pace for sure. I do see many himalayans on road these days. Serious riders will definitely give the 390Adv a shot.

Quote:
This took me back to the big vs small thread. Biking in India does not belong to just one genere. If we intend to travel, we will encounter all sort of varied riding conditions from 4 lane highways to broken country roads and no roads and thats where 390 Adv will come-out as a much more versatile tool. Talking purely of touring on good roads, ofcourse Versys will have en edge, but not by much. 390 can easily cruise at 120-130s with much strain.

Quote:

Even i noticed that and was suspecting the suspension to be set on the stiffer side? Not much point speculating, a good long test ride off the road should clear that.

Quote:
Risers should sort out handle bar to hand distance.
the posture definitely looks a bit sporty and will require lean-in to stand and ride. Handle bar risers tot eh rescue, hope cable length is not a big challenge, like on the interceptor.

Quote:
Me! me!! not just one but the wait for 390 adv was so long, i bought a versys, sold it, and bought a gs310. I feel the sudden India launch with the price announcement could be related to the Himalayan BS6 launch couple of days back, to try and not loose any more customers.

Quote:

Trust me... All the whats-app groups are buzzing with "my bike is up for sale".
Thats more of a buzz then anything serious at this point and happens with most of the launches. The buzz was highest during the RE twins launch. When 390 adv was launched, even i put a message on my interceptor whatsapp group that my 310GS is up for sale, of course not serious. People may slowly turn to and opt for 390adv once they ride it, once the bike proves itself in market with reliability, etc and that will take time. A versys 650 rider will not sell his versys immediately to book the 390 adv. A Himalayan rider will not sell his bike as this will be almost twice the cost and he will have to work out finances. A 310GS rider may not sell immediately for the 390 adv as most of them have owned/sampled the 390 in past and for their specific reasons did not relate to that bike. BMW is also more about that badge then the bike. Ans that could precisely be the reason why the 390 adv bookings are not burning the chart like how the 390duke did or like how the RE interceptor did.
nasirkaka is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 12:00   #435
BHPian

Quote:
Fair point @ethanhunt123. Personally however I would still prefer the ADV390 since it ticks all the boxes I need it to tick.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks