Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2020, 08:11   #451
BHPian

Re: KTM 390 Adventure India launch confirmed. Edit: Launched at 2.99 lakh.

Went and sat on it yesterday just after the launch. Frankly i was not too impressed with the stance and look of the bike. It felt like a slightly jacked up Duke. The Himalayan makes you feel you are heading out on an real "adventure". This my personal opinion.
car love is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th January 2020, 10:30   #452
BHPian

One video with a short ride review that I can see: .

I don't get it. KTM-Bajaj has launched the bike right(finally!). But I don't see any video reviews from the usual channels.
JithinR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th January 2020, 16:56   #453
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
One video with a short ride review that I can see[/url].

I don't get it. KTM-Bajaj has launched the bike right(finally!). But I don't see any video reviews from the usual channels.
Embargo on the invited media press ride YouTube videos until midnight tonight.

Expect a tsunami tomorrow.
Red Liner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th January 2020, 12:26   #454
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I am about 5.10 but inseam matters more.
You must be one of those Roman cartoon characters who are shown having exceptionally tall legs.
Jokes aside, i am 5'9" and am not able to flatfoot on the bmw310gs, where seat height is only 835mm. So 390 Adv at 855mm will definitely feel taller for average India Joe. I am still hoping for KTM to launch a low seat of they want good sales in south east asian market. Not the Austrian powerpart as they will be super expensive in India. Seat height plays equally important role as the wight of a bike in an off-road scenario. We do get used to it in general riding scenario only to realize its effects on an incline with loose gravel/stones.

Quote:
The GT 650 was making good sense, until this one came by; and it makes a compelling case given how feature loaded (especially the traction control) it is. The only thing I feel I'd need to check is how maneuverable it is to drive in the city, as that'll be where it'll spend most of it's time.
The choice should be fairly easy here as both those bikes are so different from each-other and built for entirely different purpose. Infact it would be good to have both these bikes in stable to exclusively enjoy what they each bring to the table.
nasirkaka is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th January 2020, 13:07   #455
Distinguished - BHPian

I think the seat is narrower than the GS310. I feel you should just about be able to get your feet down.
Old 27th January 2020, 14:14   #456
Team-BHP Support

Finally felt the bike in real today morning at the showroom! no test rides yet. I liked the overall feel of the bike while sitting, things do look good and quality seems to be acceptable. I won't say it is exceptional, it's about ok for the price. Coming to the price, it is not that cheap at 3,85,108 INR on road!

Like Redliner mentioned the handle does seem to be lower from a touring perspective, but then again this is NOT a long-distance tourer like the GS or Tiger's of the world and they do cost a kidney or two. A bar riser can fix the issue, so no sweat. Another big miss i feel is the adjustable inserts, bike felt on the firmer side from feel (pushing the shocks down) and rear (at just 2 clicks from softest) felt on the softer side and I would definitely firm it up for the road. Anyways people have their theories including the dealer, who has story of how the adjuster can be fiddled with to how the technicians are not competent enough to work yada yada. Seems like all of them have been reading discussions on Team BHP. LOL.

Ah the seat height, i almost forgot. Am just about 5'10" and wear a 32 inseam pants. While wearing the orazo riding boots am just about to flat foot while sitting on the wider and taller (rear side of the front seat). Moving closer to the tank, where the seat also narrows down, helps in getting a flatter foot fall, but ankle would touch the footpegs from this position. But then bike is nowhere close to the heavy tiger in bulk, so felt very comfortable leaning it from side to side while standing.

I wish the dealers had clear time frames on the next steps, I have been given Feb end / March first half to 45 days max for the delivery deadline.

On the color front White actually looks much better than what is seen on pics but i have opted for the Orange since i already have a white bike. Will await a call for test drive next i guess.....

KTM 390 Adventure India launch confirmed. Edit: Launched at 2.99 lakh.-d216e5fba35a470983c96e76f92c60eb.jpeg

KTM 390 Adventure India launch confirmed. Edit: Launched at 2.99 lakh.-9c8e8554a4164136afad7c08f7ef748a.jpeg

Last edited by Jaggu : 27th January 2020 at 14:43.
Jaggu is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 27th January 2020, 16:30   #457
Senior - BHPian

Autocar ride review. Would be live at 5PM today.

Last edited by Sheel : 27th January 2020 at 17:52. Reason: As requested.
SoumenD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2020, 16:52   #458
Distinguished - BHPian

Lets have it.

Red Liner is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th January 2020, 17:09   #459
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
I think the seat is narrower than the GS310. I feel you should just about be able to get your feet down.
In general, people with height of 5'8" and above should be able to ride the bike without too much issue. Shorter people will find it challenging. Average Indian male height is 5'5", so majority will have seat height related issues. As Bajaj was not very keen on developing this bike, the Austrians had to take up the challenge, and in doing so, would have considered taller Europeans for ergonomic geometry. Wonder how Himalayan is able to keep the seat height so low with that massive ground clearance.

Quote:
Finally felt the bike in real today morning at the showroom! no test rides yet. I liked the overall feel of the bike while sitting, things do look good and quality seems to be acceptable. I won't say it is exceptional, it's about ok for the price. Coming to the price, it is not that cheap at 3,85,108 INR on road!
Pretty much inline with expectations. Good you waited for it, am sure in coming days, you will appreciate the advantages of a relatively light weight and inexpensive to maintain, adventure bike.
nasirkaka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2020, 18:19   #460
Team-BHP Support

Few more

Old 27th January 2020, 19:01   #461
Team-BHP Support

I went to the showroom today to ask when would it be available and when I can check it out and test ride it before getting one. The reply was a classic, no test rides would be available.

So, KTM wants people to plonk 3L without even a small test ride? I am okay with a small 5 to 10 kms ride, nothing more.

Mahavir Auto, Purnia.

Last edited by Sheel : 27th January 2020 at 19:04.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2020, 19:03   #462
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I went to the showroom today to ask when would it be available and when I can check it out and test ride it before getting one. The reply was a classic, no test rides would be available.

So, KTM wants people to plonk 3L without even a small test ride? I am okay with a small 5 to 10 kms ride, nothing more.
Your showroom probably, not the folks here. Mention dealer name. Test rides will commence once the bike is registered.

Reviews are all awry. I will not believe these Dakar heroes who are also journalists after the first gen Himalayan fiasco. Better go get a hang of the bike yourselves. Dont trust these guys.

Trail experience on test ride bikes will also be offered shortly apparently.

Last edited by Red Liner : 27th January 2020 at 19:13.
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2020, 19:23   #463
Senior - BHPian

So looks like this bike is at its best as a long distance tourer and not really an off-road tool. Going by the traction long distance bike touring has gained lately(a million vloggers), this should do well.

But at 855mm the seat height is gonna be a bit of a challenge for shorter folks(<5.8 feet). Did anyone here who is around 5.6-5.8 feet try sitting on this? Flat footing might be a problem.

Very few journos talked about the quickshifter thingy. Guess we have to wait for more detailed reviews. Overdrive juorno however did touch upon the point for a few seconds. He says it worked only between 3k-6k RPM. I was getting hopeful about this particular feature hoping this would save me the usual clutch usage(supremely painful) in b2b traffic, but that doesn't seem to be the case .

Last edited by Jaggu : 28th January 2020 at 11:15. Reason: Removing YouTube link from quotes, affects readability on smaller mobile device screens. Thanks.
SoumenD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2020, 19:28   #464
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Your showroom probably, not the folks here. Mention dealer name. Test rides will commence once the bike is registered.

Reviews are all awry. I will not believe these Dakar heroes who are also journalists after the first gen Himalayan fiasco. Better go get a hang of the bike yourselves. Dont trust these guys.

Trail experience on test ride bikes will also be offered shortly apparently.
Well, there is one of my videos also up there in a post, but YES, every one should ride a motorcycle before blindly trusting any review. A motorcycle is personal. Reviews are subjective to personal preference.

For me, this bike made very good sense. Would I blindly go and buy the 1st lot of the 390 Adv just because it might be the perfect motorcycle to ride across all of India? Umm... may be I will wait till Q3 of 2020 for the purchase decision.

But at INR 2.99 lakh ex-showroom, if anyone is says this bike is expensive... I think they wanted the motorcycle for free with all the additional equipment and electronics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
So looks like this bike is at its best as a long distance tourer and not really an off-road tool. Going by the traction long distance bike touring has gained lately, this should do well.

But at 855mm the seat height is gonna be a bit of a challenge for shorter folks(<5.8 feet). Did anyone here who is around 5.6-5.8 feet try sitting on this? Flat footing might be a problem.

Very few journos talked about the quickshifter thingy. Guess we have to wait for more detailed reviews. Overdrive juorno however did touch upon the point for a few seconds. He says it worked only between 3k-6k RPM. I was getting hopeful about this particular feature hoping this would save me the usual clutch usage(supremely painful) in b2b traffic, but that doesn't seem to be the case .
I am 5.8, both feet not on the ground even with riding boots. Just about there, but not easily flat for sure. May be off-road boots with mild heels would have accomplished that. Anyone less than 5.8, will have to tip toe and master the balancing act.

The Quickshifter wasn't working when I checked it. Did not get too much time to play around while off-roading. I guess it might be switched on after the first service or else riders would just exploit the technology too much and ruin the engine in the run-in period.

Last edited by parrys : 27th January 2020 at 19:32.
parrys is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th January 2020, 19:31   #465
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post

For me, this bike made very good sense. Would I blindly go and buy the 1st lot of the 390 Adv just because it might be the perfect motorcycle to ride across all of India? Umm... may be I will wait till Q3 of 2020 for the purchase decision.

Which one is yours? Please tell us. Will give it a watch.

And what do you know that we don't? Qc issues or something else?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks