Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2020, 15:46   #511
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: KTM 390 Adventure India launch confirmed. Edit: Launched at 2.99 lakh.

Bajaj was reluctant on the 390Adv project and rightly so as its a mass market company. it would have learnt from the Impulse failure and to an extent the lull on the first gen himalayan sales after the initial euphoria. A handful of us on forums like tbhp may scream all we want, but the mass market out there dictates call on price and features. Adventure segment is still in its very initial stages in our full fairing obsessed country (slowly changing for sure). Bajaj could have easily given us adjustable suspension at 3.3Ex and few of us would be happy to pay too, but that would drastically affect the sales on a mass scale.

It was courageous of Bajaj/KTM to organize the event at an off-road track, else they could have simply organized usual run of the mill road biased test ride and gone home happily gathering all praises from the journos. But they do have faith in their product and their off road pedigree. It was more a case of our journalists lack of off-road riding capability rather then questioning bikes capability as we saw what it could do in an experts hand.
nasirkaka is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 18:45   #512
Senior - BHPian

If at all i buy, i would like to tone down my 390Adv to something like this:
Attached Thumbnails
KTM 390 Adventure India launch confirmed. Edit: Launched at 2.99 lakh.-my-ktm-390-adv_01.jpg  

nasirkaka is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 22:13   #513
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Many of us actually do that on weekends and its good fun in an amateurish way. And its catching up with many riders as an alternative to the usual boring breakfast rides. We keep falling, getting up and trying again. following is our groups last weekend attempt to ride up a hillock.
Well, thats what I meant by trail riding. If you're riding on already existing paths (made by the footfall of people or animals, or due to vehicle tracks, or by burnt off vegetation for the sake of controlling wildfires, or however else), you're riding on a trail.

You wouldn't really need the offroading capability of a real dirtbike for anything but difficult and dangerous trails, or unless you were to go completely off the trail and into the bushes or up the side of the hill or something like that.

Our local adv bikes and dual sports are more than good enough for most trails. Even a roadbike would do adequately as long as you know what you're doing.

I'm just saying that people may perhaps be severely underestimating the capabilities of the stock adv390 and overestimating their own offroading needs and intentions.

Last edited by Jaggu : 31st January 2020 at 12:05. Reason: Removing quoted YouTube link
drt_rdr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 22:31   #514
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drt_rdr View Post
Our local adv bikes and dual sports are more than good enough for most trails. Even a roadbike would do adequately as long as you know what you're doing.

I'm just saying that people may perhaps be severely underestimating the capabilities of the stock adv390 and overestimating their own offroading needs and intentions.
Bang bloody on. Every single so called trail I have been on, and nasirkaka has joined me on plenty of them, guess what we see coming across us? Locals in every conceivable two wheel contraption under 100cc.

While we are huffing and puffing away under our torturous gear in our big expensive gizmos. And these guys ride up and down the same place with about a village worth of supplies slung over their bike.

We look like a damn bunch of fools I tell you. Yeah, of course adjustable suspension will fly us up there like a flying saucer.

Just take what you have and go out and have fun. Enough of internet analysis lol.

Last edited by Red Liner : 30th January 2020 at 22:34.
Red Liner is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 08:46   #515
BHPian

How different this bike will be from the current Duke 390 (I ride one) on the highways when it comes to covering long distances ?

They have not changed the gear ratios or the final drive either as far as I know. Apart from the ergonomics and the larger fuel tank, what has really changed that will make this bike into a mile muncher with a relaxed state of tune?
Old 31st January 2020, 08:56   #516
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb2399 View Post
How different this bike will be from the current Duke 390 (I ride one) on the highways when it comes to covering long distances ?

They have not changed the gear ratios or the final drive either as far as I know. Apart from the ergonomics and the larger fuel tank, what has really changed that will make this bike into a mile muncher with a relaxed state of tune?
  1. Mellowed power delivery (not sure about this ..a test drive might reveal more).
  2. Suspension tuned more for comfort.
  3. Wider handlebars with more leverage
  4. Slightly more wind protection.
  5. Better claimed radiator design (i will believe it only once multiple owners test it in our cities)
  6. Wider and more well padded seat (both rider and pillion)
  7. More of a safety net (Cornering abs, traction control etc..)
Old 31st January 2020, 10:11   #517
Distinguished - BHPian

The good news is that the bike is being unveiled tomorrow evening here at the Cochin dealership. The bad news is that the test ride bikes for Cochin are reportedly coming only in March!
Old 31st January 2020, 10:57   #518
Senior - BHPian

Discussing whether an ADV bike features can support offroading is like planning a plain Ladakh trip and discussing whether a thar it will need underbody protection or not.

Even Maruti 800s do Ladakh trips. Bring any offroad track in the world. It's a track. It's made by someone and for someone. Those someone's are villagers with 100cc motorbikes. And they do it daily.

And here people are discussing whether this bike can offroad or not. Any bike can offroad. Any bike. We've done it with Fatboys with aplomb. Riverbeds, offroad hill climbs. Everything.
navpreet318 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 11:05   #519
BHPian

Can someone confirm whether the rear sprocket is same as the Duke? I saw a post on instagram by someone who knows how to ride BIG adventure bikes off road, and he claimed There's a different sprocket than the Duke which makes the ADV390 do a lot interesting stuff off road.
Old 31st January 2020, 11:08   #520
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin1224 View Post
Can someone confirm whether the rear sprocket is same as the Duke? I saw a post on instagram by someone who knows how to ride BIG adventure bikes off road, and he claimed There's a different sprocket than the Duke which makes the ADV390 do a lot interesting stuff off road.
Its one tooth bigger - 45T. Duke is 44T. Increase it even more, and it will do even more interesting stuff offroad.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 11:25   #521
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bang bloody on. Every single so called trail I have been on, and nasirkaka has joined me on plenty of them, guess what we see coming across us? Locals in every conceivable two wheel contraption under 100cc.
And yet we are discussing 390 adventure whereas a splendor would do just fine or even better. But only if biking was that simple, or may be it actually is. You did book the Xpulse and cancelled the booking after a few test rides, reason i see is that motorcycling is a sum of all the experiences where Xpulse would have excelled in some, and let down in others scenarios.

Enter 390 Adventure in the scene and its best bet available sofar and closest to "one bike do it all" tag followed closely by Himalayan and Xpulse. So out goes the two wheel contraptions under 100cc, and incomes the Adventure 390. BTW, when are you getting yours? Any indications on delivery?
nasirkaka is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 12:19   #522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
reason i see is that motorcycling is a sum of all the experiences where Xpulse would have excelled in some, and let down in others scenarios.
Exactly what I feel as well.

I've used a CT100B for fun on some trails where I frequent with my duke 390. It did all of it without any serious problems. But it was just so damn boring! Maybe if you live on top of a hill with no roads leading to it, and you need to commute day in day out, a 100c bike is good enough for the job. It just trudges along anywhere you point, and when it stops you can just put your feet down and waddle it across. It somehow managed to completely fail at the task, while still succeeding to complete it. Its like poorly seasoned food, wont let you die but you don't crave for it when you're already full. And of course you cannot compare unsalted khichdi to <insert delicious food of choice based on your dietary preference>.
ashwin1224 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 13:19   #523
BHPian

Just came back after enquiring KTM 390 Adv at KTM Mehkri Circle.

My Initial Thoughts.
1. the seating position is tall compared to the currently available bikes. I'm 5'7" and had to stand on my toes for both my feet to be on ground
2. For a simple guy like me (own CBR 250r & TB 350 Avl). the information on the console was too much to absorb
3. has a wide stance. so squeezing through the cities tight space will be tough
4. on Idle there was vibration on handle & seats (not sure whether I'm over sensitive after riding CBR 250 for some time)
5. currently no test ride bikes available to check the vehicle feel during motion
6. On road price will be around 3.8L in Bengaluru. but they did not have neither the brochure or the price list.
7. Insurance around 25K. On asking about NCB deduction (have 50% NCB on one of my Bike) the sales guy did not have a clue.

after 10 mins of enquiring the sales guy himself thanked me for the enquiry ( he probably wanted me to leave, as I was in my uncle look, wearing power glasses, single pack protruding out and wearing sandals )

overall. Good pricing, the bike looks good in flesh as well, but guys of my height might have second thoughts looking at the seating height.
SAMUDRA is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 13:50   #524
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMUDRA View Post
Just came back after enquiring KTM 390 Adv at KTM Mehkri Circle
after 10 mins of enquiring the sales guy himself thanked me for the enquiry ( he probably wanted me to leave, as I was in my uncle look, wearing power glasses, single pack protruding out and wearing sandals )
It is really relevant to this thread. This is where all the dealers need to change. Judging the customer's bank balance by the way he looks. I am sure the sales will improve if we didn't feel we are going to ration shop to buy susidized kerosene and sugar, whenever we visited the showroom. I had the same experience any many dealerships and left the place in ten minutes.
Romins is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 14:34   #525
BHPian

I'm happy to see that on Team-bhp at least, there's a healthy amount of pushback to this silly idea of "it's not 390 Adv, it's 390 GT".

As an ex-390 Duke owner, I would've been more than happy with just better GC and suspension, but KTM have given it so much more, at a frankly ridiculous price point. I've had so much off-road fun on the Duke, and the Adv is just going to make it better.

It's obviously not the perfect bike, because there is no such thing, but look at the amount of effort KTM have put in, the electronics, the mechanical goodies, it's hard to believe that someone could actually complain.

When I end up buying it, I'll name my 390 Adv "Gupta Electronics Ltd.".
RiderZone is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks