Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2020, 14:41   #526
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: KTM 390 Adventure India launch confirmed. Edit: Launched at 2.99 lakh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderZone View Post
When I end up buying it, I'll name my 390 Adv "Gupta Electronics Ltd.".
You seem to be waking up after every ice age. Last was during the xpulse launch. Good video that. How about one for the 390 adventure?

And complaining is our birth right, dont you dare take it away from us.

You continue to be missed on the great www.

Last edited by Red Liner : 31st January 2020 at 14:47.
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 15:59   #527
BHPian

I went to the KTM Mekhri circle today and took a look at the Adv 390. First look is good, though all the bikes including the 790 looked more or less the same from the front. The bike felt light and the feel was also good. I am looking for a light weight tourer which can handle the sikkim/north east kind of roads. I was recently on an entire sikkim ride, I was pretty sure that my Triumph bonnie which I use regularly, would be rather difficult to handle. Thankfully I did the ride on an Xpulse and for that terrain it was awesome. When the need to go a little faster came, it was crying to go beyond 80. For small part of the ride I rode the Himalayan also, though it was ok for that terrain, the level of confidence Xpulse gave me was immense. and the handling also was simple in Xpuls and was not so tiring.
There are plans to go on rides similar to the ones in Sikkim, which I know the Bonneville will not be the bike for those and hence the lookout for lighter ones.

Finally comes the height. I at 172 cms felt it was not so uncomfortable. Mostly where you sit matters. If one sits at the middle or towards the rear, then there is an height issue. I normally sit closer to the tank and it was ok. almost 3/4th of my feet was able to touch the ground and I was wearing crocs.

Overall - it is very very very tempting.
madhukar_n is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 19:52   #528
Senior - BHPian

You can thank me later for saving your hard earned money

PatienceWins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 20:50   #529
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
You can thank me later for saving your hard earned money
Well Said. you were spot on wrt the choice of vehicle for the chore it needs to perform.

I'll enjoy my TB AVL & CBR250R before I actually think of replacing them.
Old 31st January 2020, 20:59   #530
BHPian

First 10 minutes may have been as good as burning garbage... but he does have enough of a point with what he said in the end though.
drt_rdr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 21:02   #531
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMUDRA View Post
Well Said. you were spot on wrt the choice of vehicle for the chore it needs to perform.

I'll enjoy my TB AVL & CBR250R before I actually think of replacing them.
I think patience was being sarcastic, because if not, I have to go get my head checked.

That said, if both your bikes are doing a great job, doesn’t make any sense to buy a new one. Ride safe.
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 21:41   #532
Team-BHP Support

The future is vloggers! and how I love em! The varied opinions based on if I get called for a test ride or not sorts

Guy's I have repeated so many times that it has become boring for me also. "Bikes are very personal choice", more so (dare i say) than cars. So test ride, decide with your heart/head and be with it. No point getting carried away with all these silly video's which rarely capture the essence you might be looking for. Unless you are a first-day first-show fanatic, this bike is not going to run out of stock anytime soon. You have plenty of time to get your dealer to want you and give you a long enough test ride before you decide to put down your or your loved one's hard-earned money.
Jaggu is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 22:49   #533
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drt_rdr View Post
First 10 minutes may have been as good as burning garbage... but he does have enough of a point with what he said in the end though.
At first I thought you were being edgy by cussing him, but after watching the video, I am surprised I agree with you!
I guess its just cool to hate these days, which I believe is BS, and now for me to hate on the opinions in that video would just make me a hypocrite, so I am going to refrain from it.

For anyone who's got doubts in their heads with regards to cornering ABS and Traction control after watching that video, PLEASE read up on what they do. Both these techs save lives. Sure you're not gonna need it often in an "Adventure situation" but those trails just dont start from your home. You need to travel across public tarmac roads to get there (and come back home) and safety nets like these might just keep your organs where they need to be. Its like the protest against helmets all over again.

Last edited by ashwin1224 : 31st January 2020 at 22:50. Reason: Formatting
ashwin1224 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 23:31   #534
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin1224 View Post

For anyone who's got doubts in their heads with regards to cornering ABS and Traction control after watching that video, PLEASE read up on what they do. Both these techs save lives. Sure you're not gonna need it often in an "Adventure situation" but those trails just dont start from your home. You need to travel across public tarmac roads to get there (and come back home) and safety nets like these might just keep your organs where they need to be. Its like the protest against helmets all over again.
I have been studying these safety features and it saves life. You cannot put any value to your life. You may not use it on our roads, but having them would save your life. Even if you are going for off roading only, you cannot reach them without crossing tarmac roads or race tracks as he explains in the video. Considering the unpredictable nature of our roads with surprises lurking in every corner , these safety features are necessary. The risk is not worth the 1 lakh saving, especially if you can afford it. We all have dear ones waiting for our return.

There are some good videos by ktm itself demonstrating these safety features. Please do watch.
Old 1st February 2020, 01:47   #535
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin1224 View Post
At first I thought you were being edgy by cussing him, but after watching the video, I am surprised I agree with you!
I'm a bit too old for edginess to have any personal value to me. I'm not hating the guy but you saw his explanations are a joke, and he is either not well informed, or has an agenda like Jaggu pointed out.

I lost him right at the beginning when he declared the bike is no good because alloys are no good. We all saw what Adam Reimann was doing with the bike. Those alloys look like they can take some beating. Though it remains to be seen for how long. Still, as long as people don't expect it to do motocross stunts, those rims should probably hold up well enough for rough trails and small jumps.

It would have been easy for KTM to put spoked wheels on the bike and be done with it. But it's good they went with the alloys because tubeless tires would be more valuable than the bike being able to land a 4 foot jump and stay in one piece, considering average usage patterns of people. Having apparently sturdy alloy wheels and tubeless tires is a win-win situation for most people.

I did like the guy for his closing comments. Learning to appreciate a bike for what it is and what I can practically do can be a very satisfying and sometimes even eye opening experience.

Last edited by drt_rdr : 1st February 2020 at 02:16.
drt_rdr is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2020, 05:24   #536
Distinguished - BHPian

All i can say is ha ha ha.

maxabout.com: KTM 390 Adventure Premium Variant in the Making.
https://news.maxabout.com/bikes/ktm/...ariant-making/

International variant becomes our R?

Last edited by Red Liner : 2nd February 2020 at 05:30.
Old 2nd February 2020, 09:32   #537
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
All i can say is ha ha ha.
As far as rumors go, someone from a big city in Eastern India [showroom manager] has almost committed a 790 ADV, but you know how things go when a product gets launched.

One trend which I have noticed and I am sure most of us here too must have noticed but never bothered. Whatever bike one rides < Sports Bikes < Super Bikes < settles at an ADV.

No one I know has gone back from an ADV.

I am not justifying 390 ADV as I myself am not sure if I can give up committed riding position plus telepathic cornering ability for a stilted bike. But, now, I want to see how is this ADV to ride.

Especially after seeing this -

KTM 390 Adventure India launch confirmed. Edit: Launched at 2.99 lakh.-whatsapp-image-20200126-17.49.03.jpeg

Picture is of a friend's GS, of course he is on Team-BHP and I will let him claim the picture credit and those stripped chicken credit.
Sheel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2020, 11:12   #538
BHPian

The Adam Reimann video is out. Looks like a slightly humbling experience for Indian journos, but hard to blame them. Good to see Raorane in there.

Last edited by RiderZone : 2nd February 2020 at 11:13. Reason: too much space above video
RiderZone is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2020, 12:11   #539
BHPian

Got to finally ride the ADV390. It was a short ride but I did take it on a pretty sneaky dirt trail going up a hill. The same trail on my old duke 390 would be very dramatic with the bike going all over the place, however the ADV took it all in a stride, barely broke a sweat.

The seat height is a lot, but the bike feels very light and thus even for shorter riders like me (I'm 5'7"), the bike is not unnerving on the tricky sections. However, I do feel the seat height will make the bike difficult to live with in the city (for people my height). One the dirt though, it's pleasantly friendly. It is however, unlike your average street bike for sure. It responds to things differently than we're used to. Speed humps are not a problem, potholes might as well just be 2d, without any depth to them at all. Larger ruts in the trails get eaten up and chewed out without the rider even acknowledging them. TC does kick in from time to time depending on what mode you're in. And I think you can set a "Default" mode as well since the screen showed "Off-road" right from the start. I didn't spend enough time to play with it to say for sure.

The larger rear sprocket surprisingly makes its presence felt at low speeds. Below 20-30kmph, in first, there's a lot of pull, while the same speeds in 2nd feel calm composed.

Also, I could not find neutral at all. All the other people riding the bike said the same thing. You could only get neutral with the engine off. Weird, but probably a one off case with this particular bike.

There's a lot of space on the motorcycle. Although you don't feel like you're sitting "in" the bike as you feel with the larger GSs and the Africa Twin, it does feel a lot like sitting on the Tiger XR while on the move. The riders ergonomics are spot on, handlebar is wider and feels more stable. The BS6 390 engine is a lot quieter on this bike than the Duke , which might be a plus for touring.

I rode the ADV, then a late 2019 Duke 390, and then a 2017 Duke 390 back to back(and Ive got most of my riding experience riding my 2013 390, did not ride it that day though). The '19 390 is no doubt the best thing on the tarmac by far, followed closely by the ADV and the the older 390s. Off the roads and on broken tarmac, the ADV is in a league of its own, with the older 390s close in tow, the newer Duke just feels a bit helpless on the dirt. The general fit and finish is just touch better on the ADV than the newer Duke,

So to sum it up on the ADV: Nice bike, seat height would be problem for people under 5'7, but this is a new era alright.
Attached Thumbnails
KTM 390 Adventure India launch confirmed. Edit: Launched at 2.99 lakh.-zhrmfzn.jpg  

Last edited by ashwin1224 : 2nd February 2020 at 12:15.
ashwin1224 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2020, 12:30   #540
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderZone View Post
The Adam Reimann video is out. Looks like a slightly humbling experience for Indian journos, but hard to blame them. Good to see Raorane in there.
[url]]
Did you see the last bit when he asked who is ready to complete the loop?

That SUMS up our Indian journalistic motorcycle calibre.

God help us all.

I am wondering if it makes sense to start a thread about how much we should base our own opinions on the videos/gibberish these guys routinely dish out.

Last edited by Red Liner : 2nd February 2020 at 12:46.
Red Liner is offline   (9) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed