Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2024, 18:34   #4351
BHPian

Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprocket View Post
Where did you pickup 1 & 2 from in Bangalore?
Top Gear Thumpers, Marathahalli. It is owned by Bhushan a bhpian and a sweet gentleman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprocket View Post
Debating between Barcelona Blue vs Canyon Red + Alloys.
Choose the one which strikes the right chord. I know it is easier said than done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livyodream View Post
So there is hardly any waiting period for Interceptor. That's really good to know.
In my case it so happened that the colour of my choice was already in transit and I was the first in queue for the colour. Otherwise, SA had quoted 45-60 days.
pachchu77 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2024, 19:18   #4352
BHPian

In January 2024, my brother picked up a new RE Interceptor 650 and yesterday I had the opportunity to take it for a long spin. I ride a Dominar 400 and compared to it i felt the bike is very smooth owing to its twin cylinder. I felt that 90-100 kmph is the best cruising speed for the bike. Post 100, i didn't find the bike to be very confidence inspiring. Absence of a tall windshield leads to windblast which can tire the rider. Also, i felt the breaking power of the bike is a bit low and not enough to stop the 200kg+ beast. I rode the bike through the twisties of Kotagiri and it was very pleasant to ride. The stock sound of the bike is exhilarating. Also the throw of the headlight is mediocre. Hi-beam and low beam are both useless. It's better to invest in a good pair of aux lights if you are someone who ride a lot at night.
Attached Thumbnails
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20240501_104227744.jpg  

Last edited by Kottayamkaran : 2nd May 2024 at 19:20.
Kottayamkaran is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2024, 06:16   #4353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kottayamkaran View Post
In January 2024, my brother picked up a new RE Interceptor 650 and yesterday I had the opportunity to take it for a long spin.
These newer units of the Interceptors look sick, especially with all the extra blacking out of components.

The Interceptor isn't a race machine or corner carver. What it does offer is epic fun as a result of the excellent vocal chords. Gets a little better when you swap the exhausts out. If you've ever heard an Interceptor/GT pass by with the throttle fairly wide open, the sound is almost music to your ears.

On the brakes, I find that surprising. I find the stopping power excellent. In fact, its one of those bikes where I find the rear disc brake to offer a good level of feel. My old KTM 390 did a good job stopping the bike but the feel was zero, especially with the rear unit. What I have found is that the rear brakes do need a bleed every 2 years, to ensure consistent feel on the pedal. You don't realize this riding the bike every day. Over time, they get spongy and the play on the pedal increases.

Wind blast is unavoidable though I doubt if the Dominar fairs all that better. You may feel less impact of it if the bike is lighter.

Yeah the headlights can use an upgrade. I've left it stock as I rarely ride past sunset. I'm more keen on adding two yellow fog lamps on the crash bars for improved visibility (As in for other vehicles to see me on the road)
sandeepmohan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2024, 07:38   #4354
BHPian

18,000 kms update

It is 14 months since I got the Interceptor. Today, I hit the 18,000 km mark.

My experience so far:

I have had a lot of fun with this machine. Though a few things could have been better, I am still very happy with what this machine provides at this prize point.

I have stuck to Power 95 petrol through out, have an average mileage of close to 27 kmpl. My usage is 100%highway and i just ride in town to get out on to the highway which is just a km away.

All services done at the Royal Enfield service centre only with nothing out of the ordinary done to the bike.

I have swapped out the exhausts to PoweRage end cans, changed my rear tyre at 13,000 kms,fixed bar end mirrors at 5000 kms. Everything else is stock.

Issues:

I have used RSA twice, both when the bike was parked at home. The first issue was when the bike refused to start. RSA took the battery, charged it for a day, checked it, put it back and all is well. This was at 11,000 kms.

The second issue was when I had a flat at home. RSA fixed it. This was at 13,500 kms right after I had changed the tyre.

I have been planning to get auxiliary lights fixed, as, the lights are pretty bad and most of my riding is before sun rise but never got around to doing it.

I find the brakes very adequate, the rear has very good feel, suspension could be a little better,but, it is a very good package and does the job.

A few pictures attached.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20240503_052140.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20231221_153503.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20230703_062127_copy_1600x1200.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20231221_153232.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20230707_042415.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20230525_155124.jpg  

Last edited by rajeevsulu : 3rd May 2024 at 07:39. Reason: Correction
rajeevsulu is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2024, 13:36   #4355
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen.ba View Post
I use the Shad SH29 which is adequate for full face helmet and few odd stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Not an aluminium box. But I use this Givi top box - link. Been using it for over a year and takes in a full sized helmet easily. It’s tough to fit in two full sized helmet (even though the product description states otherwise). Think I got it for a shy under 30k back then.
Quote:
In January 2024, my brother picked up a new RE Interceptor 650 and yesterday I had the opportunity to take it for a long spin. I ride a Dominar 400 and compared to it i felt the bike is very smooth owing to its twin cylinder. I felt that 90-100 kmph is the best cruising speed for the bike. Post 100, i didn't find the bike to be very confidence inspiring. Absence of a tall windshield leads to windblast which can tire the rider. Also, i felt the breaking power of the bike is a bit low and not enough to stop the 200kg+ beast. I rode the bike through the twisties of Kotagiri and it was very pleasant to ride. The stock sound of the bike is exhilarating. Also the throw of the headlight is mediocre. Hi-beam and low beam are both useless. It's better to invest in a good pair of aux lights if you are someone who ride a lot at night.
What topbox is that? I am in the market for one, and this one looks great.

thanks in Advance
bsenroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2024, 20:02   #4356
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsenroy View Post
What topbox is that? I am in the market for one, and this one looks great.

thanks in Advance
That's a JB Racing Aluminium top box. It's available at Bandidos Pitstop.
Kottayamkaran is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2024, 20:21   #4357
BHPian

Quote:
That's a JB Racing Aluminium top box. It's available at Bandidos Pitstop.
Is this the one? https://bandidospitstop.com/collecti...ith-logo-black

Annd is your brother happy with the performance?
bsenroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2024, 20:26   #4358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsenroy View Post
Is this the one? https://bandidospitstop.com/collecti...ith-logo-black

Annd is your brother happy with the performance?
Yes. That's the one.

He is quite happy with the performance of the bike.
Kottayamkaran is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2024, 12:39   #4359
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
These newer units of the Interceptors look sick, especially with all the extra blacking out of components.
I also have the same feeling with the latest models of Interceptors. RE has just managed to kill the charm, 1st batch has six color schemes and all were very appealing.
Old 6th May 2024, 17:53   #4360
BHPian

So RE does not sell parts over the counter and 3rd party vendors don't stock anything more than filters as I found out this Saturday.
My 2019 Interceptor has clocked only 10k and because I could not get a service slot in my local RE I thought to do the service on my own and found
the left side panel lock has been broken,
the sump guard bolts which are hex bolts have their heads worn,
they have added thread seal to the bolts and over torqued them making it impossible to remove them.
I had to heat the nuts with a gas torch and remove the bolts. the filter was overtightened as well probably with the tool and ratchet and would not come off with a strap wrench I had to get a tool myself.
The chains were slack, The tappets were way off.
This makes me think the bike would not have survived this service center.
Also had to buy Motul 10W50 in 4 liters as 3 liters came only to the low-level mark of the sight glass, one of the downsides of having to spend more for the oil during DIY.

Going forward I intend to do my own servicing.

Does anybody have any clue as to where I can get spare hex bolts of company spec for the sump guard? the local hardware stores said they don't have the particular pitch thread.

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img20240504wa0013.jpg

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img20240504wa0020.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post

DIY: Adjusting throttle play & sensitivity on the Interceptor 650

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=4AsJkZpkJ5o
Thanks for the useful post never had a peek under that cover before now.
Looks like a spring-loaded pulley arrangement does it require any greasing?

Last edited by Aditya : 6th May 2024 at 19:29. Reason: Back to back posts merged
adrift@life is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th May 2024, 10:48   #4361
Senior - BHPian

Practical differences between INT650 and GT650?

Hi everyone, without any bias towards either motorcycle, would like to understand from a potential buyer's point-of-view as to what are the practical differences between the INT650 and GT650. This is keeping aside the subjective points such as styling. Also, for the sake of this comparison, let us please keep aside the other options such as Super Meteor or Shotgun.

PS: I love both the motorcycles equally. I am trying to compare both the bikes in out-of-the-box condition, without any accessories or modifications. Also, I am ignoring the points where both are equally good or bad.

Interceptor 650

Pros:
  • More relaxed riding position
    More real estate on the handle bar to fix accessories such as a phone mount

Cons:
  • Rider triangle is not optimal (most riders seem to need a handlebar riser, or rear set pegs)
    Handle bar needs to be moved out of the way to fix front fork pre-load adjusters
    Stock seat is not comfortable over longer rides

Continental GT650

Pros:
  • Rider triangle is better than the Interceptor
    Easier to fix front fork pre-load adjusters
    Stock seat is (relatively) more comfortable

Cons:
  • More committed riding position
    Absolutely no space to mount anything on the clip-ons

These are the points I could decipher by going over the posts in this thread over the years. Would really appreciate it if all of you could pitch in as well. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Viju : 8th May 2024 at 10:49.
Viju is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th May 2024, 12:14   #4362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
These are the points I could decipher by going over the posts in this thread over the years. Would really appreciate it if all of you could pitch in as well. Thanks in advance!
A pro GT650 {still} here: because I like to have greater control when riding fast for which a forward leaning stance is MUST; the only drawback I felt was the smaller tank capacity, yet I landed up buying INT 650 for 2 reasons:

1. Got extreme tingling sensation on my right pinky finger after riding GT 650 for < 10 Km one way & I couldn't continue due to it; however when I rode INT 650 immediately after reaching the showroom, the tingling sensation subsided significantly + was able to ride INT 650 for over 35 Km one way

2. The front of GT650 was extremely heavy {suddenly Ninja 650 appeared to be lighter} & IMHO, a cafe racer of that caliber should have a lighter steering or perhaps I need to workout on my biceps & triceps

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 14th May 2024 at 19:24. Reason: As requested
aargee is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th May 2024, 12:14   #4363
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
Practical differences between INT650 and GT650?

Hi everyone, without any bias towards either motorcycle, would like to understand from a potential buyer's point-of-view as to what are the practical differences between the INT650 and GT650. This is keeping aside the subjective points such as styling. Also, for the sake of this comparison, let us please keep aside the other options such as Super Meteor or Shotgun.

The Interceptor comes with a centre stand, which is very handy when it comes to fixing a puncture or even lubing the chain.

And the CGT now comes with Vredestein tyres which I feel are much better than the Ceats that the Interceptor comes with. My Interceptor has the Vredesteins now.

Personally, coming off a CBR250R, I thought I would like the CGT more. But after the test ride, I understood that since the slim (and slippery) fuel tank on the CGT does not let us grip onto the bike, making the wrist take most of the load. In case of the CBR or other sports tourers, the tank lets us hold the bike using our legs, so its faaaar more easier to rider around.

I couldn't convince myself to go for the CGT, brought the Interceptor home 5 years ago, and have been happy every since

So my advice? Get a test ride and then take the decision.

Last edited by aravind.anand : 8th May 2024 at 12:15.
aravind.anand is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 8th May 2024, 13:45   #4364
BHPian

I test rode the GT 650 and the INT 650 back to back before deciding on the Interceptor.

I was 53 when I did the above and as soon as I sat on the GT,I knew I was too old for it.Too committed a stance,too heavy a front with all the weight on the wrists meant I could not rode for long durations.After 5 kms I decided against it.

The Interceptor is much more relaxed in its riding position and more neutral,so to speak.It makes a lot of sense to me 14 months and 18,000 kms down the line.

I would have definitely gone for the GT if I was even 10 years younger.

Cheers
rajeevsulu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th May 2024, 01:52   #4365
BHPian

RE touring screen for INT 650.

I’ve always been eyeing on the recently launched touring screen as part of RE’s GMA catalogue for the Interceptor. There weren’t any reviews nor images of the screen installed, for reference, either from RE or anyone. So, was initially holding up thinking it’ll impact the aesthetics of the bike and gave the tall flyscreen a try which is just about fine. But during my first service, I pulled the plug and ordered the touring screen to give it a try and the same arrived in a week. Kudos to RE Company service centre, Hyd who promptly ordered and communicated on arrival of the same.

Cost: INR 4750/- for the part. Installation was free of charge.

GMA Code: 1990479.

Installation: The process was similar to installing tall flyscreen, requiring opening of headlight, disconnecting indicators and sliding the frames in, then pop in the rubber gourmets, washers and screws through the windscreen into the windscreen support frames. Also, the screen in itself is similar in size to that of an SM650’s for reference.

I did notice a noise while riding back home. Stopped to check and noticed that the right side frame of windscreen was touching the tachometer. Reached home, unscrewed the screen, adjusted the right side frame by pulling it slightly and maintaining similar gaps on either sides, screwed back in.

Wind protection: I’m 5’ 9” for reference and when I sit on the bike, windscreen doesn’t interrupt the vision and a good 4-5 inches below the field of view. I did go on a night run of about 50 kms and tested the wind protection but disappointed with the amount of resistance at the front and buffeting on the helmet. The frontend felt like a swaying shield against wind while accelerating moderately or at constant speeds between 90-120 kmph. Didn’t really feel confident to maintain these speeds continuously due to above factors. Tall flyscreen though wasn’t providing much protection against wind wasn’t causing buffeting or resisting wind but deflecting the same and was easier on the helmet.

I think the upright position of the touring screen with outward curve at the top, and no adjustment option to incline towards the rider causes a wind swirl at the tip of the screen causing resistance and buffeting. Similar screen could work on SM650 due to the lower seating and inclination towards the rider on the same but not a good design for Int 650 in my opinion.

I’d still give a try sometime later with any of the adjustable windscreen extenders possibly tilting the same towards the rider and share an update.

Sharing pictures of the bike for reference and for anyone interested to know how it looks on the Inty.

Please note that all the images were taken on the centre stand and the screen might appear as if it’s too tall but it isn’t. Once the rider sits on and with the compressed front, it does not come in the line of sight.

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_1766.jpeg

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_1762.jpeg

Can compare the touring screen height with tall flyscreen for reference below.

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_1771.jpeg

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_1709.jpeg

Last edited by raiuday : 9th May 2024 at 01:56.
raiuday is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks