Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2024, 10:57   #4291
BHPian

Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Can somebody share a link to any article which can highlight the changes between a 2019 model vs 2023/2024 models of Interceptor 650? Thanks.
Abeer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2024, 14:18   #4292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrvSafe View Post

Also in February, I got a message from Royal Enfield that I have postponed delivery by 7 days, which I haven't done. Attaching a screenshot of the same here. I'm not sure if the dealer made some arrangements and delivered it to someone else. Not sure about it though.

Attachment 2580843
Any one aware of this message, when its send to a customer?
Old 9th March 2024, 18:57   #4293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomson13 View Post
The issue for me is on the opposite side; When encountering steep speed breakers, I end up downshifting to 1st instead of restricting myself to 2nd
Okei, now that the core of the issue has been identified, the solution is simple - Change the approach of riding
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2024, 18:57   #4294
BHPian

A couple of weeks ago my 2019 interceptor randomly started losing power. Can't really tell when the issue shows up. Happens without any prior indication. The service center folks said they couldn't reproduce the problem but replaced spark plugs and cleaned the fuel filter.

Here's a video that shows the problem:

The video shows me demonstrating that twisting the throttle leads the bike to not rev healthily and feeling out of breath. Also, note the popping sounds. No idea what they are.

Has anyone here faced this problem? Any pointers would help!
kauphylover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2024, 20:43   #4295
Senior - BHPian

Return of the nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Having a very irritable issue...I cannot ride it to even nearby ASC
This time its even weird, the moment gear is engaged {regardless the motorcycle is on the main stand}, the motorcycle switches off & the engine light keeps glowing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Listen to your son...sensor issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
It's the the side stand...behind the standsurjaonwheelz
After this stint in the morning, I took my CBR 250R to finish my errand; when I came back, Son said he engaged gear some 3-4 times while in main stand after which the issue disappeared. He rode inside the house & proved to me it was indeed working. By evening, rode to school & back ~20 Km, no issue!! This time, the engine light is not lit.

This is really getting on my nerves now due to absolute unreliability!! Now I don't even know how to showcase this issue to ASC!! Video recording perhaps? I'm sure they're not going to simply return the vehicle saying they're unable to replicate the issue.

Any ideas? Suggestions? Most welcome please. Thank you

Last edited by aargee : 9th March 2024 at 20:45.
aargee is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th March 2024, 00:18   #4296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauphylover View Post
A couple of weeks ago my 2019 interceptor randomly started losing power. Can't really tell when the issue shows up. Happens without any prior indication. The service center folks said they couldn't reproduce the problem but replaced spark plugs and cleaned the fuel filter.

The video shows me demonstrating that twisting the throttle leads the bike to not rev healthily and feeling out of breath. Also, note the popping sounds. No idea what they are.
I suspect a couple of possibilities.
1. A faulty relay might be causing this issue due to fuel injection happening erratically. In fact I had similar issue a couple of years back. I also had starting problems. On checking, svc centre found both the starter relay and fuel relay had gone bad. After replacing both the issue was resolved. Since yours is a 2019 model, I think this might be the cause. I had read multiple posts about faulty relays in the early years of interceptor (2019, 2020)
2. Possible water ingress to the fuel tank causing this erratic throttle.

Last edited by samcan123 : 10th March 2024 at 00:19.
samcan123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th March 2024, 00:46   #4297
BHPian

Had faced this issue in my 2020 BS VI INT 650, the service centre changed spark plug suppressor caps which resolved it. In my online research this can be a ignition coil issue or due to poor quality ignition wires.

I would also recommend checking condition of RR unit, which is a known issued with twins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauphylover View Post

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=w34yhkIT9cM

Has anyone here faced this problem? Any pointers would help!
setuniket is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th March 2024, 08:57   #4298
Senior - BHPian

Interceptor irritated us this morning by constantly switching OFF when riding without any recognizable pattern. Here's how things went:

1. First ~45 Km, rode no more than 65 Kmph for nearly 50+ min without much brakes or clutch on ORR, then it switched OFF. Had pulled over to complete halt, started some 3-4 times engaging the gears to get the engine stabilized to run when the gear is engaged.

2. Then may have rode for another ~7-8 Km between 80-85 Kmph on ORR & then it switched OFF again; this time engaged to neutral & pulling to extreme left while riding, attempted some 2/3/4/5 {not sure} times engaging the gears to get the engine stabilized to keep going.

3. Then another ~4-5 Km perhaps in unspeakable speeds on ORR, again switched OFF; again pulling over to extreme left while riding, attempted anywhere between 3-5 times to get the engine stabilized to keep going.

4. Again <5 Km perhaps strictly around 80 on ORR, again switched OFF; did the same pull over exercise as #3

5. Again <5 Km perhaps around 65 Kmph on ORR, switched OFF; this is when I pulled over completely to halt & recorded the attached video. After 3-5 attempts to engage gears, was riding back again & had kept around 70 Kmph mark, after this there were no signs of switching OFF again for quite sometime. By then we also had to take an exit from ORR & were riding on city roads; as expected in the stretch of ~10 Km, it switched OFF only once & back to riding after 3-4 cranks, the engine got stabilized & reached home

I'll be taking to the ASC, thankfully I was able to record a video to demonstrate the problem so that they don't have to ride multiple times to come & tell me they weren't able to simulate the issue.

Note:
1. If the video is unavailable in India, kindly PM me, I'll check the settings once again in YT
2. I had also opened & closed the fuel lid with {stupid} assumption of vaccum building inside the tank detering the fuel flow
3. Another observation: The engine light kept glowing most of the time, I'll have to observe for pattern & symptoms relating to the engine switching off when gears are engaged

Last edited by aargee : 10th March 2024 at 09:04.
aargee is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th March 2024, 09:17   #4299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Interceptor irritated us this morning by constantly switching OFF when riding without any recognizable pattern. Here's how things went:
Most likely a bad side stand sensor. Its thinking side stand is down hence cutting ignition when you slot into gear
SunnyBoi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th March 2024, 19:06   #4300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Most likely a bad side stand sensor. Its thinking side stand is down hence cutting ignition when you slot into gear
Ok, thanks for the perspective. Just clarifying that the bike was on side stand when refueling at 7:40 Am for no more than 5-6 minutes; prior to that, it was on side stand over a month ago. We started the bike at 8:15 Am from the main stand, rode for 100 meters & this issue cropped up; it couldn't be started even after 7-8 attempts. After this the issue never occured yesterday even after riding for ~20 Km.

This morning, it never occurred for the first 45 odd Km; after this it started occuring every few Km. Then it never occurred for atleast 10 Km.

Question is: Can the electronic sensor act so erratic without a pattern? For instance when the O2 sensor on my CBR conked the FE was always taking a hit; when the Neutral sensor conked in Interceptor, the Neutral light was always lighted. So if the side stand sensor had conked off, then, wouldn't the engine always die when the gear was slotted or do you think there will the issue still be erratic?

On the other hand, I'm considering other possibilities such as
1. Clogged fuel filter
2. RR unit
3. Spark plug caps
4. Bad fuel
5. Side stand sensor, ofcourse

Out of the above which can be knocked off & what else can be bought under suspicion pls? Thanks
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2024, 20:10   #4301
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Question is: Can the electronic sensor act so erratic without a pattern? For instance when the O2 sensor on my CBR conked the FE was always taking a hit; when the Neutral sensor conked in Interceptor, the Neutral light was always lighted. So if the side stand sensor had conked off, then, wouldn't the engine always die when the gear was slotted or do you think there will the issue still be erratic?
The problematic side stand sensor is a common issue across different brands. I've replaced the one on my Duke 390 with similar symptoms as yours but not that extreme.

You can test it easily. If you remove the side stand sensor connector, there usually will be 3 wires. One of them will be power. Short the other 2 wires and the bike will assume side stand has been taken off all the time. Ride around and check if your symptoms vanish. If they persist, its something else.
SunnyBoi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th March 2024, 11:19   #4302
BHPian

When the Rescuer needed to be Rescued!

Couple of weekends ago, my wife went out on her Activa OG for some errands nearby. I received a call that it's not starting, I told her to continue with her local shopping, I'll be there.

I had done my routine wash (bucket) and shine of my Interceptor and fired her up to go out. At the first turn, when I pulled in the clutch and slotted the next gear the bike died on me. I was laughing, now who'll rescue me?

Luckily, the bike stopped in front of a car mechanic. I received another call that the Activa has ran out of petrol. Fortunately, the car mechanic gave me petrol. I walked down the street, leaving the bike with the mechanic, filled petrol, Activa fired up and I asked her to return home. The bike had stopped hardly 800m from home!

I returned to the mechanic and tried to demonstrate the issue to him who thought I was worried of the ABS light. As in case of all demos, the bike worked flawlessly, I slotted through the gears and showed no issue with the side stand switch! I rode back home and parked the bike.

My initial thought was that I did some aggressive cleaning and water is causing the issue but it was not, it was not conclusive. Couple of times it worked and I rode around in the society. Pushing the Interceptor is an impossible task! I sprayed WD40 Contact Cleaner abundantly.

One day I had to borrow my friend's Scrambler 400X for a city run! So I gathered courage and rode to Pitlane, again the bike didn't show any issues in front of the mechanic. The mechanic said, these sensors are pretty robust and told me to ride fearlessly, which I did for the next couple of days, I rode to office without any issues. Everytime after starting up, I slotted through the gears before taking it off the stand!

I thought the issue was gone and was ready for a weekend ride with sukiwa. Early morning the issue showed up, this time on a moving bike! I could do nothing but to wait, and it started working. I had the option to return home like last time but I thought it would be not conclusive and I need to get over this! So I went ahead.

Met sukiwa and we set off to our destination. This time on the highway the bike died on me, again in gear. Luckily, I was in the left most lane as some superbikes were passing by loudly! We stopped in the service lane and simply waited it out! Nothing could be done practically to bypass the sensor etc. I had shared the wiring but it's not accessible. The bike started working after some time, say 5 mins. We decided to cut short our ride to a nearby known destination. We reached there had our usual Vada Pav and chai shots!

Before setting out and wearing our helmets, we did the testing and it worked. sukiwa wanted to try out the new seat on my bike so we exchanged our bikes and as he slotted into 1st gear, phuss. We burst out into laughter!

I ordered another shot of chai and we waited it out again! We decided to head back straight to Pitlane and get the 'robust' Side Stand Sensor changed. The bike was working after chai, I returned without any stop to Pitlane and shared my ordeal.

They promptly ordered the replacement part. The bike was very hot after the ride and could not be worked on. I left the bike with them and collected it in the next day!

Here are the details.

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-1.jpg
The sensor with a mind of its own.

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-2.jpg
The wiring went through the sprocket cover. You need to remove the gear lever, LHS footpeg assembly and the sprocket cover.

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-3.jpg
The coupler/connector on the RHS side. I was spraying contact cleaner on another connector!

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-4.jpg
Out comes the sensor.

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-5.jpg
No power! It's a magnetic proximity sensor. When the metal plate of the side stand inserts in the gap the sensor is closed (ON), when it works!

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-6.jpg
New sensor for 500 bucks, labour charged was 300 but I can't blame them. Don't go for DIY.

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-7.jpeg
Successful weekend ride with sukiwa and waspune to a submerged temple, seen in the background.

Quote:
Question is: Can the electronic sensor act so erratic without a pattern?
Get it changed, no questions asked!

Happy riding,
surjaonwheelz

PS. I was late to post this as I was waiting for a weekend ride of 150+ km to settle the scores.

Last edited by surjaonwheelz : 11th March 2024 at 11:26.
surjaonwheelz is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 11th March 2024, 13:45   #4303
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Exactly, dear sir. Do change the sensor. I saw a bike at the ASC with the same issue on Saturday. It would run sporadically. They changed the sensor and all was good.
rajeevsulu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th March 2024, 15:06   #4304
BHPian

I'm curious to know what happens if you try to start / ride the bike with the sensor disconnected? I'm guessing the circuit stays open and prevents the bike from moving in gear.

If so, can the circuit by completed / shorted somehow?

It could help someone in case the bike acts up away from habitation
jomson13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2024, 18:36   #4305
BHPian

I was going through the wiring diagram in the service manual. I could trace three wires, all connecting Side Stand Switch to the ECM directly.

I am not sure about shorting especially with ECM, it could possible burn the ECM, if we are not sure about the correct wires.

However, the service centre tech will be able to guide whether disconnection would be a temporary fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomson13 View Post

If so, can the circuit by completed / shorted somehow?

It could help someone in case the bike acts up away from habitation
setuniket is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks