Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2021, 10:32   #2791
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by catkins View Post
PowerTRONIC ICU

This post reports fitting a PowerTRONIC ICU (ignition control unit) to an Oct 2019 Interceptor

Summary
  • Difficult to fit
  • Performance gain not quantified. Max RPM not changed
  • Decided against using it
I fitted the PowerTRONIC ICU because
  • Engine was knocking/pinking/pre-detonating with the existing EMS (engine management system)
  • More performance. Review: https://www.drivespark.com/two-wheel...es-028802.html
  • Three different stock ICUs on a Unicorn 150 had shown significantly different engine characteristics
  • Curiosity
The ICU was ordered from https://powertronicecu.com for a delivered price of ₹22,000 incl tax
Fantastic post! While the Powertronics piggyback ECU has been a popular mod for the KTM 390s (especially abroad), I dont think that it is as easily plug and play and beneficial for the 650 twins. I remember one of the auto magazines (Fast Bikes IIRC) had got it installed on their loaner bike and the installation was quite cumbersome. I vaguely recall that the quick shifter didnt work out of the box. Let me try and dig up the issue. I look forward to your long term feedback on the product. Isnt there a 15 day return window for it as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfreak15 View Post
Funny, if I remember correctly this whole saga started with me trying to make you book one of the 650 twins. You are trouble and I am going to keep my distance.
Quote:
Amen! I did think there was room for a naked hooligan and KarthikK is doing his best to try to make me fill that slot but thankfully my bank balance or lack thereof and my family keep me in check.
You are quite fortunate to have friends like us !
Old 19th April 2021, 11:39   #2792
BHPian

Quote:
I fitted the PowerTRONIC ICU because
  • Engine was knocking/pinking/pre-detonating with the existing EMS (engine management system)
The R-tune software showed that a "map" sets the air/fuel ratio and the spark timing
Are you on stock,
- air filter
- spark plugs
- exhausts?

I heard/read the PT ICU and the "map" is the best solution after you've upgraded the Internal Combustion (IC) trinity!
surjaonwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 14:52   #2793
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
Are you on stock,
- air filter
- spark plugs
- exhausts?

I heard/read the PT ICU and the "map" is the best solution after you've upgraded the Internal Combustion (IC) trinity!
  • Air filter: still stock. Have BMC Air Filter Royal Enfield Interceptor FM01070 to fit
  • Spark plugs: did not know there was a reason to change from stock for street use
  • Exhausts: AEW Classic Short Pipes TE 201
I understand all modern ICU/EMU/EMSes are adaptive so will adjust themselves to suit changed characteristics of air filter, exhaust system etc. I intend to fit the air filter, start the engine and let it run for 10 mins (received wisdom to let the EMS adapt).

Later might reconnect the PT ICU and see how the engine goes with the BMC air filter. IIUC the maps are fixed so the PT ICU is not adaptive. If the supplied maps are designed for a more free flow filter than standard then the engine should run better then

Without a rolling road, without a test track it is very difficult to know how much difference each tuning change makes. But it's fun anyway
catkins is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 23:38   #2794
BHPian

Quote:
but would it would work with the stock coupler?
I am not sure about that, sorry.
Quote:
Also does the booster plug serve the same purpose as your ICU?
A booster plug is effective only in fixing erratic idling and issues with low engine speeds like stalling, I have read. It wouldn't help with bumping torque and horse power numbers across the rpm, I am afraid.
While we are on that topic, Way2speed Perfomance has come up with a booster plug for around 5k. https://www.instagram.com/p/CNACh64lgbc/?hl=en
corvus corax is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 02:31   #2795
BHPian

Quote:
I understand all modern ICU/EMU/EMSes are adaptive so will adjust themselves to suit changed characteristics of air filter, exhaust system etc. I intend to fit the air filter, start the engine and let it run for 10 mins (received wisdom to let the EMS adapt).
The house is divided on this adaptation thing!

Quote:
Aftermarket ECUs have always been available for many performance motorcycles. However, most folk do not understand that upgrading performance figures involve three things - the ECU, the air filter, and the exhaust system. Obviously, yes? One cannot work without the other. So, if you are thinking of installing the PowerTRONIC ECU (or any other ECU), you need to upgrade the exhaust system, and the air filter in order to bring out the best of the beast.
Anyways have fun
surjaonwheelz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 20:29   #2796
BANNED

Hi folks, I bought my Interceptor today after lot's of research, she's a silver spectre 2019 with just 2.2k on ODO and it's pristine. I would love to add sump guard and windshield, should I visit showroom or service center in this regard? Also I noticed front fork is maybe half an inch above it's clamps close to handlebar, is that normal? I am 6.1" and feel I am leaning towards handlebar too much. Previously I was riding Ninja 650, kindly advice.
vittalnrv is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 21:12   #2797
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vittalnrv View Post
I would love to add sump guard and windshield, should I visit showroom or service center in this regard?
If you want RE sump guard and fly screen, visit the RE Service Center near you. If you want third party then visit an accessory shop like BikenBiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by vittalnrv View Post
Also I noticed front fork is maybe half an inch above it's clamps close to handlebar, is that normal?
The service manual says,
Quote:
Ensure fork assembly RH and LH top is 10 mm above and hex cap nut is above the top yoke.
Taller guys shouldn't have to lean forward. You can try to have the handlebars more towards you first and ride around. Then decide whether you want risers or new handlebars? Feel the seat too, you may need to do something about it!

Classify your mods into 3 main categories:
1. Aesthetics/Looks - a black racing strip on the Silver Spectre looks nice!
2. Ergonomics/Handling - handlebar, seat, foot pegs, backrest, top rack, suspension
3. Performance - filters, mufflers, booster plugs, iridium spark plugs, HT leads, suppressor caps, [endless]

Prioritize your requirements and the mods. Enjoy your ride & congratulations!

/surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st April 2021, 13:06   #2798
Senior - BHPian

Hola folks,
After what seemed like an eternity, I've closed on a deal to bring home a pre-loved RE Interceptor 650. It's the BS6 in Baker Express shade, would have prefered the Ravishing Red though. Its barely 5 months old bike and has done around 7K KMS (most of these were done by the previous owner on a South India trip) The bike already has a few mods done to it:

1. AEW T102 exhausts
2. Zana crash guard
3. Zana Tail rack with back rest
4. HDT handlebar risers
5. Reprofiled seats (only the pillion section has extra cushioning)
6. HDT pillion footrest extender
7. HJG fog lamps
8. RIM stripes (will remove these)
9. STickers on front and rear mid guards

I will be bringing the bike home over the weekend, MAH govt permitting. Here's one pic for your viewing pleasure.

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-inty.jpg
hiren.mistry is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 21st April 2021, 17:49   #2799
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
I will be bringing the bike home over the weekend, MAH govt permitting.
Congratulations and all the best Hiren! Hope you manage to get it today as many rumours (news sites) are hinting at a complete lockdown in Maharashtra from 8pm today for the next 15 days.

Seems in perfect condition with everything bolted on and running in period completed for you. Guess you will be removing the saree guard too

Why is the original owner selling an almost brand new and heavily personalised bike so soon. Please share what you paid for it also if it’s fine by you.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2021, 20:16   #2800
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Congratulations and all the best Hiren! Hope you manage to get it today as many rumours (news sites) are hinting at a complete lockdown in Maharashtra from 8pm today for the next 15 days.

Seems in perfect condition with everything bolted on and running in period completed for you. Guess you will be removing the saree guard too

Why is the original owner selling an almost brand new and heavily personalised bike so soon. Please share what you paid for it also if it’s fine by you.

Cheers
Thank you Cyborg!! Yes, the saree guard will go, 100%. There's also a desi jugaad type saddle stay, which won't stay on the bike either.

It's almost perfect, the owner has already brought home a new BS6 Himalayan as he believe that bike is more suitable to him. I would have loved to bring her home today, but I am feeling a bit under the weather with cold and cough. I hope its not what I think it is.

Wish me well.
hiren.mistry is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2021, 00:36   #2801
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It's almost perfect, the owner has already brought home a new BS6 Himalayan as he believe that bike is more suitable to him. I would have loved to bring her home today, but I am feeling a bit under the weather with cold and cough. I hope its not what I think it is. Wish me well.
All will be well mate! Plenty of time to get the bike a bit later; get well soonest and YES, it will be a cough and cold ONLY. So it is written and so it shall be done

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th April 2021, 13:36   #2802
BHPian

One of the advantages of a bare-bones "classic" motorcycle is the scope for customization and fine tuning and while my intent is to eventually create a separate thread once I have gotten to know my bike better and make it mine, I wanted to check what the general consensus is on a particular mod is. No, I am not asking if it is worth it or not as I am not hunting for performance figures but call it a last act of defiance by trying to undo some of the constraints on the bike that the green norms have brought in.
I decided to go with an aftermarket performance air filter (DNA) and while at it decided to go with the stage two cover delete kit. There were two options, the DNA kit and then a desi version with a whopping 2000Rs difference between the two. I decided to go el cheapo and ended up with the Rs499 option and in hindsight should have gone with the DNA version. Im pretty sure air should flow through the filter and not around it, so when I fit the Air filter I noticed it was not a tight seal like the OEM filter had or the DNA cover delete kit would have provided. So ended up using a universal solution- Duct tape for the time being and might end up buying the DNA kit after all. I let the engine idle for the self learning ECU to do its bit and then took the bike for a spin round the block, apart from a higher intake pitch didn't notice anything but that was expected .

Stock filter has a proper seal as expected
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-stock1.jpg

The DNA kit also looks like it might give a proper seal
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-stage2.jpg

What I ended up with, ain't pretty but Id prefer ugly on the outside than ugly on the inside. It doesn't look like much but the filter does not sit flush in the housing and the clamps just hold it in place and do not provide an airtight seal.
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-intake1.jpg
deepfreak15 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th April 2021, 13:49   #2803
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Cyborg!! Yes, the saree guard will go, 100%. There's also a desi jugaad type saddle stay, which won't stay on the bike either.

It's almost perfect, the owner has already brought home a new BS6 Himalayan as he believe that bike is more suitable to him. I would have loved to bring her home today, but I am feeling a bit under the weather with cold and cough. I hope its not what I think it is.

Wish me well.
Congratulations and wishes for wonderful biking experience. Hope your cold and cough isn't to worry too much about what it shouldn't be.
One general question to understand purchase of a pre-owned bike. So will you need to connect with RE also to change the ownership details with them to honor stuff like warranty, etc ? Asking this because its almost a new bike and assume if RE is gonna do a recall for 650 twins, I know they might use the chassis number but they would also look at the owner details, correct ?
Balaji31582 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2021, 18:09   #2804
BHPian

I switched to K&N filter along with air filter plate by MK Designs which is much cheaper than the DNA cover kit (pricing for just a piece of metal is atrocious).

The triple clamp stay which you have used forms a proper seal as the inner black sleeve of the air filter seals the air filter box. Even the stock air filter cover is dependent on the internal sleeve only.

PS: I have no affiliation with MK Designs.

Quote:
There were two options, the DNA kit and then a desi version with a whopping 2000Rs difference between the two.
setuniket is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2021, 13:20   #2805
Senior - BHPian

Hello folks,
I was able to get the bike home over the weekend. Took sometime to understand it a bit better. So far, so good and there aren't any surprises.

Removed the:
1. saree guard
2. Jugaad saddle stay
3. HDR handlebar risers
4. strobe light affixed on the swingarm (hate those)

What I love:
1. The engine - it is so smooth, my other ride is a first gen Bajaj Pulsar 200NS that feels like a tractor now.
2. Ride too is pretty sorted
3. Superb pick up, she just motors along at the twist of the right hand irrespective of the gear
4. Those fog lamps are wicket, light up the road like nothing I've seen before
5. The mirror offer a good view of what happening behind me with nary a vibration
6. Zero vibrations from the engine on the tank or levers - Still cant wrap my head around this.

What I am not so keen about:
1. Exhaust - I am surprised about this, but the AEW's are pretty loud. Much louder than I anticipated. Fortunately, I got the stock exhausts, will put them back in shortly to see how they feel.
2. The rear suspension seems a bit too stiff for me - will need to check what setting it is on. The prev owner was on the heavier side, so may have changed the setting.
3. Heating - The engine seems to dissipate the heat towards the thighs, as a result the seats heats up and I can feel that in my nether regions Not sure if this is seen on all Interceptors.
4. Heavy steering - Man it feels heavy at slow speeds with a lot of steering efforts and inputs needed to steer this baby. Perhaps its just a matter of getting used to it

Here are some pics after my labour.
1. Bringing it home
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-0.jpg

2. After some TLC
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-1.jpg

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-2.jpg

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-3.jpg

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-4.jpg

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-5.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balaji31582 View Post
One general question to understand purchase of a pre-owned bike. So will you need to connect with RE also to change the ownership details with them to honor stuff like warranty, etc ? Asking this because its almost a new bike and assume if RE is gonna do a recall for 650 twins, I know they might use the chassis number but they would also look at the owner details, correct ?
Thank you for the wishes, yes I will need to get in touch with RE primarily to change the contact details. I am also planning to get the extended warranty.

Last edited by hiren.mistry : 26th April 2021 at 13:24.
hiren.mistry is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed