Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2021, 15:29   #2836
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by adwaith View Post
Congrats on your ride! Happy motoring!

I too find the bike difficult to maneuver at really slow speeds, especially in traffic. I find that it's rather heavy. But at speed, she moves so well.
This is so true, I did bump up the air pressure a bit, and it did make a difference. Just yesterday I took my Pulsar 200NS out for a spin, the difference in steering is night and day. I am not criticizing the Interceptor, but the difference is too huge to go unnoticed.

The profile of the tires might be partially to blame, as they are more squared off than rounded. Perhaps some rounded profile tires would help alleviate the heavy steering.
hiren.mistry is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2021, 09:54   #2837
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebengalee View Post
This got me thinking: does RE do tougher QC for export models or is it simply that the bikes have to endure a rougher life in our country? Any insights?
It is definitely road conditions. Nowhere in the world are you going to fall into a pit or a pothole, out of the blue. This is enough the knock out the cone set. There is no mud, dust or grime to deal with either, even when you ride in the rain. Roads are clean. Makes a lot of difference.

Since you mentioned cone set, I do get a clunk from time to time on my bike which has run only 4000km. I have not bothered attending to it as it does not upset the ride or handling. Will sort it out when it does get more repetitive or shows sign of problems.

Could you elaborate on the tires and wobbling? The tires are designed to be used on a smooth road. If a road does not have tar seal, you're not going to like it. It will feel as if the road is steering the bike more than you or like tramlining. You can't really fault the tire for this though.

I doubt if QC would vary for local versus export.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2021, 10:09   #2838
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Since you mentioned cone set, I do get a clunk from time to time on my bike which has run only 4000km. I have not bothered attending to it as it does not upset the ride or handling. Will sort it out when it does get more repetitive or shows sign of problems.

Could you elaborate on the tires and wobbling?
What's bothered me about the cone set issue is that it's popping up for a lot of people and ASCs have no idea what to do about it. The fact that metalled Indian roads often qualify as rough terrain is well known, I guess the manufacturers should perform a lot more fatigue testing on these components.

Re: tyres I've heard a lot of opposing opinions. Some people like the pirellis, some people hated it. Some people got less than 8k out of the stock tyres. Again, a lot of disjointed reports about various issues with tyres and it was the same for wobbling. Some people felt the rims weren't staying true, some people saw uneven tyre wear, implying a suspension issue, etc.
Old 6th May 2021, 10:50   #2839

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebengalee View Post
What's bothered me about the cone set issue is that it's popping up for a lot of people and ASCs have no idea what to do about it. The fact that metalled Indian roads often qualify as rough terrain is well known, I guess the manufacturers should perform a lot more fatigue testing on these components.

Re: tyres I've heard a lot of opposing opinions. Some people like the pirellis, some people hated it. Some people got less than 8k out of the stock tyres. Again, a lot of disjointed reports about various issues with tyres and it was the same for wobbling. Some people felt the rims weren't staying true, some people saw uneven tyre wear, implying a suspension issue, etc.

My Interceptor has a handle offset towards the right, It travels straight but the right hand is taking more load and the service centre is not able to rectify
Old 10th May 2021, 11:24   #2840
BHPian

Hey guys, so while surfing on insta, I came across this post by bandidos pitstop which was advertising a product on their page, a belt drive conversion for the 650. Is this feasible/genuine and are there any advantages to it?
https://www.instagram.com/p/COov6WbF...d=zpddudnycv09
Old 10th May 2021, 11:30   #2841
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohits View Post
My Interceptor has a handle offset towards the right, It travels straight but the right hand is taking more load and the service centre is not able to rectify
Have you installed a handlebar riser? Sometimes, after installing a handlebar riser, the handlebar is ever so slightly off center. This leads to a feeling of tilted handle despite straight line riding.
Old 10th May 2021, 13:14   #2842
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adwaith View Post
Once you make changes and the engine begins running rich it is going to be a problem when we get the PUCC done?
Hey Adwaith that was a good question. I don't have an answer to this right now because this may have been done from the factory to increase fuel efficiency. But I will be checking this personally once I fit a booster plug and get PUCs done with & without it. Will update here, although it's gonna take a long while with everything going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNOWY227 View Post
UPDATE!

Took the motorcycle to Feynlab near Brigade Road, Bengaluru. They tried what they could, but couldn't get rid of the marks. Also, the amount of other scratches made it look like a good 4-6 year old vehicle. Left with no choice, I agreed to get the black part of the tank repainted. Getting a paint job on a brand new motorcycle kind of hurted me. Also, went with the ceramic coating for the entire motorcycle. Anyway, after two days went back to Feynlab, and Oh Boy! the GT was there, shining in all its glory.
Wow! That boy looks fantastic now. I got my GT Ice Queen re-painted too although in a different shade of white at Krithi Car Care, HBR Layout. They added the ceramic coating for cheap too after the paint job. Although the bike looks great now, the tank feels slippery everytime I try to grab it with my knees while riding. Have you noticed anything similar?

Last edited by bblost : 10th May 2021 at 13:25. Reason: back to back.
Old 10th May 2021, 18:09   #2843
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarnav_b View Post
Is this feasible/genuine and are there any advantages to it?
https://www.instagram.com/p/COov6WbF...d=zpddudnycv09
Please share a screenshot for those of us who do not have Instagram or facebook accounts

Possibly the same product was discussed in this thread starting at https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ml#post4733845 (Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin). Posters were sceptical about efficiency and about it being well enough engineered to be reliable and safe

Efficiency is moot and the advantages of quieter running and no lubrication are attractive. Until somebody tries a belt drive and reports on real world experience we will not know. I might try it myself just for fun when mail order is allowed again after lockdown
Old 10th May 2021, 19:17   #2844
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by catkins View Post
Please share a screenshot for those of us who do not have Instagram or facebook accounts
Belt drive for Interceptor 650: LINK

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-screenshot_20210510191238.jpg

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-screenshot_20210510192410.jpg

There is a video by Bandidos guys on YouTube too -

Watch from 00:45.

Last edited by a4anurag : 10th May 2021 at 19:25. Reason: Added another image.
a4anurag is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th May 2021, 19:39   #2845
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Belt drive for Interceptor 650: LINK

Attachment 2154225

Attachment 2154235

There is a video by Bandidos guys on YouTube too -Link

Watch from 00:45.
The belt drive does not seem well designed. A synchronous belt (timing belt) drive for motorcycles requires a tensioner pulley to maintain constant tension when the swing arm moves. I don't see that idler pulley in this design. The result would be incorrect tension most of the time. Too loose and the belt can slip and damage the belt teeth. Too tight and the belt can snap without warning.

Here is an image that shows the tensioner pulley on the bottom of the belt:
https://images.app.goo.gl/spHkiCvqD9H1dzCS8

It's also not clear what brand of belt is provided. The are only a few brands of belts that I would trust (Gates, Optibelt or Bando) for such a critical belt. These are also the few manufacturers that offer carbon fibre reinforced belts.

Belts are great devices to transmit power but only if used as recommended. Chains are more rugged but have their own problems that are well known.
Motard_Blr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2021, 20:14   #2846
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motard_Blr View Post
The belt drive does not seem well designed.
I just shared it. I honestly do NOT support the idea to use this belt drive system unless it is from the factory and not worth getting this kit for some exclusivity unless one is aware of the risks associated.

Rather than paying 20,000 for this, I'd change the chainset a couple of times rather than risk my life and the others around me. Good for getting views on YouTube but it is not worth the risk IMHO.
a4anurag is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th May 2021, 10:07   #2847
BHPian

And then I decided to get the Meteor handlebar onto my 2019 Interceptor, works as risers too and better switches as well as grips
Attached Thumbnails
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20210411_082548_1.jpg  

gharika is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 12th May 2021, 11:36   #2848
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gharika View Post
And then I decided to get the Meteor handlebar onto my 2019 Interceptor, works as risers too and better switches as well as grips
What about the throttle cable? I assume Meteor has a single cable. How did you manage that?

Recently on YouTube I came across few videos with the sentiment of 650 Twins being RE's neglected children.

650 Twin being the flagship model yet Meteor has the following things better,
- DRL Haadlamp
- Switchgear
- 17" Alloys with 140 section TL rear tyre
- Tripper navigation pod
- Blacked out engine

What the Twins got in the name of updates,
- New colors
- Ceat tube tyres

It's close to 3 years, we expect some genuine upgrades. RE are you listening.

Though as a BSIV Interceptor owner, it feels peaceful that nothing major has changed! But RE should do something about this, the earlier the better.

In addition, most common parts claimed under warranty:
- RR Unit
- Rubber gasket for the fuel cap (entire lock set is changed)
- Relays
- Coneset tapered bearings/tyres related to wobbling fix

RE has the advantage of more numbers hence please improve the quality of the above parts.

Some parts that are outstanding for the bike:
- Excel Aluminum rims (Bonnie range added Al rims in 2021)
- ByBre brakes with Brembo rotor and disc pads with steel braided lines
- DID chain

Cheers,
surjaonwheelz

PMS - Parked Motorcycle Syndrome: came across this term on social media. May be that has resulted in compiling the above points!

Last edited by surjaonwheelz : 12th May 2021 at 11:38.
surjaonwheelz is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 12th May 2021, 14:49   #2849
Distinguished - BHPian

But isn't RE living to it's true legacy, the RE updates are generally always new colors, the tyres I think were only updated because of import issues, or they would not have tried that much as well. Meteor will get the same treatment when time comes.

The entire focus right now is on the new cruisers and those are the one which will get everything missing in Interceptor, they need to keep a differentiator for the premium they will charge on that bike.
AtheK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2021, 17:30   #2850
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
What about the throttle cable? I assume Meteor has a single cable. How did you manage that?
Simply removed one of the cables, now it works with only one cable. Levers are from Meteor too, the all black goes well with the Ravishing Red.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks