Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2021, 14:48   #2986
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderZone View Post
Let me know your thoughts!
Between these two, would prefer option 2 just because possible warranty issues in option1 as second service time has lapsed.

Quote:
Option 2: Ice Queen

Problems:

1. The front and rear tires are new from Apollo, but both are incorrect sizes, and possibly incorrect speed/load rating. Front is 2 sizes smaller than stock (80/100), load rating of 175 kgs, and speed rating 150 kph. Rear is 1 size smaller (120/80), load rating of 265 kgs, and 150 kph speed rating. Will need to be replaced immediately.

2. The LED bulb in the headlight heats it up more than the exhausts somehow, you can't touch the front glass at all. This excessive heat seems to have damaged the reflector a little bit as well.
Utilize both of these for harder bargain. It's possible that current owner/caretaker changed tyres in a hurry and used whatever was available. Check DOT code on tyres to gauge when tyres were probably changed.

Quote:
3. Person whose name is on the RC is in Canada, seller has already got signed affidavit from him however.
If that affidavit is of 'Power of Attorney' kind, then it shouldn't cause any problem for RC transfer.

Quote:
I would like to spend this Sunday watching MotoGP with a GT under my arm.
All the Best!
sukiwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 15:42   #2987
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Let me know your thoughts! I would like to spend this Sunday watching MotoGP with a GT under my arm, possibly without tears at a bad decision.
Riderzone, both bikes have some sort of issues, I would avoid both! Understand the itch, but I would advice restraint. Second owner, transfer and tyre issues, why buy possible trouble which you don’t need. Be patient and buy a new one or one which is clean in all aspects if buying used.

I believe if you book through the “Make it Yourself” app, delivery happens much faster. Perhaps someone could shed more light on this issue.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 16:02   #2988
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
I believe if you book through the “Make it Yourself” app, delivery happens much faster
Don't think that is the case. As on today, all RE bookings take place via the website/app, irrespective of the source viz. dealer or customer. So, even if you go via the dealer, SA will book the bike via RE app/website only.

On the waiting period, I am told that dealers are being instructed to quote a standard no. of days for each model; 4-6 months for 650s, 3-4 months for Himalayan, and so on. However, actual waiting period is much lower from what I have seen. I was "informally" told the same by my SA while booking my Himalayan in June.

@RiderZone - would agree with @Cyborg here, if budget is not a constrain, buy a new one. Peace of mind has no parallel, mate

Last edited by cool_dube : 4th August 2021 at 16:03.
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 18:14   #2989
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
So came back from service center, and nothing was diagnosed. The bike refused to act the same way and kept starting in a single crank. They gave me some gyaan on how it's new and things are settling down, which I refused to buy. Then again since we could not reproduce the issue, I decided to test it for sometime again, and went for a 60KM long ride, everything looked fine. I stopped the bike lot of times and restarted it again, no issues.
Could this be an issue related to the fuel cap design?
I also faced similar issue with Baker Express and previous ownership with TB500. Culprit is relay, get it replaced or checked the lose connection.On third service, I got this fixed and now no issue. My weekly ride is around 1 to 2 KM only, in last 16-17 months it has covered just 1100 KM.
DDIS_RE650 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 19:39   #2990
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Let me know your thoughts! I would like to spend this Sunday watching MotoGP with a GT under my arm, possibly without tears at a bad decision.
RiderZone, here is my take. Proceed with
1. Option 1, only if the company dealership agrees to retain the warranty when you will bring the bike in for service. With Covid and all, they might agree to consider the 5,000 km service at the current 6,000 km reading. If so, then it makes sense to proceed. With regard to the loan, there are two steps to consider
a. The loan is paid off
b. The hypothecation for the loan is removed from the RC
Even if the loan is paid off, the owner can continue to use the bike without updating the RC to show that it is no longer hypothecated to the bank. But ensure that the RC is cleared (i.e. the owner has to get a letter from his bank that he has paid the loan, submit it to the RTO, and get a new RC issued without the hypothecation) before you proceed with the sale. If you see the new RC without a bank hypothecation, you are good to go.

2. Option 2 only after you check for availability of alternatives, at least of Ceats in the OEM size. And see if the local tire stores will take back these tires at some fair buyback prices.

The current rear tire size is not a big problem. The specification of 130 / 70-18 is typically a difficult one to get tires for and 120 / 80 - 18 is an easy alternative. Continental GT 535 owners, including myself, have done the same for years. Now Im not saying the specific Apollo tire is not a problem, which model is it?

The front size is an issue for sure.

The headlight bulb can always be swapped out in 10 minutes.
neil.jericho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 20:00   #2991
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Now Im not saying the specific Apollo tire is not a problem, which model is it?

The front size is an issue for sure.
Thanks! The tires are:

Rear: https://shop.apollotyres.com/actigrip-r6-120-80-18-tl
Front: https://shop.apollotyres.com/actizip-f2-7
RiderZone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 20:08   #2992
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It looks as though the current owner just went with whatever was available. Im hearing of these R6 tires for the first time. Swap them out with Ceats on day 1 and get some buy back on these. Im assuming they must be 2 - 4 thousand kms old, at most.

On the LED headlight, a fellow TBHPian who picked up a preworshipped Interceptor 650, installed Night Eye H4 LED light and hes quite happy with it. I have one of the same Night Eye LEDs on my Triumph and the output is pretty good. If you want a LED bulb, you can pick that up at the Amazon sale that starts tomorrow.
neil.jericho is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 20:21   #2993
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Even if the loan is paid off, the owner can continue to use the bike without updating the RC to show that it is no longer hypothecated to the bank. But ensure that the RC is cleared (i.e. the owner has to get a letter from his bank that he has paid the loan, submit it to the RTO, and get a new RC issued without the hypothecation) before you proceed with the sale. If you see the new RC without a bank hypothecation, you are good to go.
In principle, that's how it should be done. However, current owner may decide to combine both RTO activities together i.e. removal of hypothecation and ownership change. In such a case, having loan clearance letter from Bank holds the key.
sukiwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 20:55   #2994
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
I assume that is opening the fuel cap?

Can you please share a picture of the fuel cap and neck on your motorcycle?
Yes opening the fuel lid fix the issue, Sorry I saw your message late, bike is getting Ceramic treating today so not with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDIS_RE650 View Post
I also faced similar issue with Baker Express and previous ownership with TB500. Culprit is relay, get it replaced or checked the lose connection.On third service, I got this fixed and now no issue. My weekly ride is around 1 to 2 KM only, in last 16-17 months it has covered just 1100 KM.
Thanks buddy, I shall explore this option too. In an update I took the bike to the Service center today, they have removed the Breather Hose pipe, and have asked me to ride for few days and see if issue reoccurs. They have asked me to keep it on low fuel and have it refilled max for 3-4 Liters. So I took it all over the city today, running the bike on different speed and RPM. Making sure to turn off the engine on every signal, and refueled once for 300 bucks.

Bike has been running fine from then on, will continue to monitor for few days and then take it back to them. The continental GT was also taken to the service center, they have made some changes, issue happened couple of times after that, but has settled down now. We also got it checked in an independent garage, vacuum sync between two engines can be a potential issue. I will continue to chase this for sometime.

In the mean time ended up spending quite some money on accessories in Royal Enfield showroom, and then changed the headlights to LED Headlights and rear tail lights to LED tail Lights with LED indicators. Will post pics and detail about that later.

Have dropped the bike to my friend place for a ceramic coating for now.

Quote:
More adventures in buying used bikes

I'm currently at price negotiations with 2 GT 650 owners, would greatly appreciate opinions/inputs from you people.
Honestly, avoid them both. If going pre owned, the cleaner the better. Don't hurry, remember the best part about pre-owned when the right one clicks you can have it at home by evening. The above two are both not good candidates.

We still have lot of races for Moto GP left for this season.

Last edited by AtheK : 4th August 2021 at 21:05.
AtheK is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 21:03   #2995
BHPian

Just another way to avoid having second owner recorded in the RTO record to retain value. If the person selling(family member etc) is not the recorded owner in RC, assume two owners and negotiate accordingly.

Quote:
One point to note, both bikes claim to be 1st owner, but that's not the case.

Quote:
Option 1: Dr. Mayhem

Check if the stock can be arranged by the current owner, did the current owner sell the stock exhausts or first owner.

Quote:
2. AEW exhuasts (stock NOT available)

As per service manual, the motorcycle has to be serviced 1. <1 month 500 kms 2. <6 months 5000 kms 3. <1 year 10k kms. Check if he has missed second service or both 2nd and 3rd. Oil change is at 500 kms and 10k kms. Check with local RE centre about service history, only RE service centre can confirm warranty(which is otherwise transferrable).

Quote:
1. Bike only has had one service yet, the 500 km one. It's already well beyond the 1 year/5000 km rule for 2nd service. Unsure if this could cause warranty issues. Immediate first service is necessary.
NOC+ signed forms from the finance company/Bank. Also cancellation of hypothecation has to happen before RC transfer, you should ideally hold some amount till the whole process is complete and pay when the RC is transferred in your name. The bank/Finance company can also give updated account statement showing pending dues cleared.

Quote:
2. Bike was on loan which completes this very month. I do not know how to confirm if the loan is paid off or not.

Ideally shouldn't, see if you can get the wiring checked by RE/mechanic.

Quote:
3. The guy has put on Interceptor handlebars, and aux lights in the past, not sure if all that work could've created some issues with the switchgear etc., or some electrical problems.

The owner basically went for different tyres to save money or due to non-availability. Factor in while negotiating.

Quote:
Option 2: Ice Queen

1. The front and rear tires are new from Apollo, but both are incorrect sizes,
and possibly incorrect speed/load rating. Front is 2 sizes smaller than stock (80/100), load rating of 175 kgs, and speed rating 150 kph. Rear is 1 size smaller (120/80), load rating of 265 kgs, and 150 kph speed rating. Will need to be replaced immediately.

Reflector may have to be replaced, stock bulb is anyways dim and reflector poor.

Check local RE centre for parts, I have had issues with getting parts for INT in Delhi. After checking around at 4 service centres and parts stockist in Karol Bagh, I couldn't find the chrome headlight ring and clips for installing with Maddog. Wanted to retain the reflector stock blub to make it a 2 min swap from stock to LED.

Quote:
2. The LED bulb in the headlight heats it up more than the exhausts somehow, you can't touch the front glass at all. This excessive heat seems to have damaged the reflector a little bit as well.
Not without Power of Attorney, or signed forms from the recorded RC owner. The first owner can sign all forms and courier it across for transfer. Hold money till updated RC is handed over to you.

Quote:
3. Person whose name is on the RC is in Canada, seller has already got signed affidavit from him however. If some unforeseen problems come up in RC transfer, could get tricky.

Last edited by setuniket : 4th August 2021 at 21:07. Reason: additions
setuniket is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 21:43   #2996
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by setuniket View Post
As per service manual, the motorcycle has to be serviced 1. <1 month 500 kms 2. <6 months 5000 kms 3. <1 year 10k kms. Check if he has missed second service or both 2nd and 3rd. Oil change is at 500 kms and 10k kms. Check with local RE centre about service history, only RE service centre can confirm warranty(which is otherwise transferrable).
Thanks! I checked my friend's 2021 Interceptor manual, and that says the 2nd service is 5000 kms/12 months. Will check with the SVC for details on the specific bike.
Old 4th August 2021, 22:09   #2997
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks! I checked my friend's 2021 Interceptor manual, and that says the 2nd service is 5000 kms/12 months. Will check with the SVC for details on the specific bike.
You might be confused as that is not correct, mine states below.

2nd Service - 5000 Km/ 6 Months
3rd Service - 10000 Km/ 12 Months
AtheK is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2021, 11:29   #2998
BHPian

The workshop manual has this schedule.

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-screenshot-20210805-11.26.57.png

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EPf...W8KlNFlNe/view'

File Size warning-835MB

Quote:
setuniket is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2021, 11:49   #2999
BHPian

Quote:
More adventures in buying used bikes

Options 2 seems like a better choice, the only thing is what's with the tyres? What was the guy thinking when he installed those? Looks like he was trying to save money.
CarManMotorcycl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2021, 12:08   #3000
BHPian

The half yearly service is only inspection & checks. Don't use your free service coupons for it, keep them for the annual service if you don't want to go for oil change at 6 months.

The simplest job they add is chain adjust, clean and lube for the job card. Get any pending job from the annual service done in the half yearly service for the entry. Actually you don't need this service if everything is working fine and you do some DIY to adjust clutch, clean brake pads, spark plugs etc.

Cheers
surjaonwheelz is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks