Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2020, 23:07   #2236
BHPian

Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpanjha View Post
Hey friends, finally I received a text early morning, my bike would be ready for delivery by 2pm today. Hearing this, I could barely concentrate on office work today. Somehow wrapped up work by 2Pm, caught an Uber and off I went to the New Town showroom.
Quickly did the PDI. They took some time for the invoicing etc. Sadly, will need to wait for 20 working days to get the registration plate, till then the beauty will sit quietly in the garage, maybe some riding inside our apartment complex and a planned visit to the temple on sunday.

Some pictures attached here. I shall post some good pictures soon.
Something, I was not aware was, they are giving the Front gaters and Powder coated mirrors as standard fitment on the Baker express now. Or it was always there?
Congrats on your new ride! Happy Motoring! Ride hard and ride safe. Hopefully, God and my dad willing, I'll ride with you one day in Kolkata.

Dear BHPians, I've been meaning to ask for a while but each time I come here to type I seem to forget. How do I deal with wind blast? I have an open helmet and this makes it worse and I'm saving up to buy a full face one. But otherwise what should I be doing?

Thanks!
adwaith is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 23:53   #2237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adwaith View Post
. How do I deal with wind blast? I have an open helmet and this makes it worse and I'm saving up to buy a full face one. But otherwise what should I be doing?

Thanks!

If you look back 2-3 pages on this thread the very same issue of wind blast has been resolved by installing a puig windscreen and an extender kind of thing on top it, the bike is a Baker Express and is owned by nasirkaka, get that setup and buy a full face helmet on priority as open face helmets are no good in case of an unfortunate accident.
yesyeswe is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2020, 11:29   #2238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyeswe View Post
If you look back 2-3 pages on this thread the very same issue of wind blast has been resolved by installing a puig windscreen and an extender kind of thing on top it, the bike is a Baker Express and is owned by nasirkaka, get that setup and buy a full face helmet on priority as open face helmets are no good in case of an unfortunate accident.
I thought it was something to do with my riding style. Thank you so much!
adwaith is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2020, 12:06   #2239
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adwaith View Post
I thought it was something to do with my riding style. Thank you so much!
Being a naked bike, the wind blast is just a function of physics, since you are sitting upright and moving at speed, your body is catching air like a boat's sail. A full face helmet will reduce what your face feels and is so much more safer than your current helmet, as yesyeswe rightly pointed out. Do invest in one.

Irrespective of the helmet used, your body will still catch air so to reduce windblast you will have to use a windscreen. I havent ridden a bike with one of the current 650 based windscreen offerings, so I dont know how effective they are. I wont be surprised if it is more style than substance since they are flyscreens to be honest. So realistically, your next best options to reduce wind blast are
- Himalayan windscreen : Effective and wallet friendly.
- Carbon Racing windscreen : Most effective and affordable.
- Puig windscreen : Effective but expensive.

Ive been using the Puig on my Continental GT535 for several years now and on highway rides, it really does cut down windblast a lot and reduces fatigue quite considerably. If you arent doing a lot of highway riding (say 90 kmph and above), you may not actually need a wind screen.
neil.jericho is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th October 2020, 15:22   #2240
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Some pictures attached here. I shall post some good pictures soon.
Something, I was not aware was, they are giving the Front gaters and Powder coated mirrors as standard fitment on the Baker express now. Or it was always there?
Congrats!! The black mirrors have always been there but fork gaiters are a welcome change.

Quote:
Dear BHPians, I've been meaning to ask for a while but each time I come here to type I seem to forget. How do I deal with wind blast? I have an open helmet and this makes it worse and I'm saving up to buy a full face one. But otherwise what should I be doing?
Wind blast is tricky issue to deal with. At times, i feel its best to use the bike as it is or with a small OEM type windscreen. The wind channeled towards riders gets distributed over a larger area. If we use a large screen like himlayan's or even the carbon racing one, it directs the wind to neck up-wards. This increases the turbulence around the helmet area increasing the wind buffeting and resultant noise. To push the wind completely over the helmet, once needs a really tall windscreen. Something like what MADSTAD makes for various bikes (sharing a ref pic below from net). I am using a carbon screen with a add on screen on top from Pro-Spec and this setup channels wind towards my center of the helmet and not completely over it. taller and bigger screen naturally means more resistance which will slightly affect performance, fuel efficiency, etc.
So the call is totally up to the individual. If someone is not riding very long hours, and for very long distances and at faster speeds, it may not really be that helpful. Usually, the wind blast is bearable around speeds of 90-100kmph.
Attached Thumbnails
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-untitled1.jpg  

Last edited by nasirkaka : 15th October 2020 at 15:24.
nasirkaka is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th October 2020, 15:58   #2241
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
So the call is totally up to the individual. If someone is not riding very long hours, and for very long distances and at faster speeds, it may not really be that helpful. Usually, the wind blast is bearable around speeds of 90-100kmph.
Did you ride your 650 long enough before your fitted the windscreen to have an idea about how much your top speed and fuel average dropped post that (I just saw the photos on the previous page ... looks great! )?

I know that a simple thing like a roof rack on my Storme later I never again managed to hit 180+ on her after that in the 7+ years I've owned her. Maybe 160-165-170 max.

A windscreen on a naked is always going to be a compromise. Its as good as putting a sail in front of you. Yes, you are protected from the wind. But the effect on the dynamics of the bike is the same.

Personally, the few times I've ridden big adventures with tall-ish windscreens (GS and the Tiger) I've found them hugely distracting, especially the part of looking through them and not through them, and the interface, and the way it moves around as you hustle the bike around.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th October 2020, 16:20   #2242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
any updates on the introduction of alloy wheel on the Interceptor?
+1 to this folks.

If anyone has contacts within RE, any information on the introduction of alloy wheels for the Interceptor would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2020, 19:42   #2243
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Did you ride your 650 long enough before your fitted the windscreen to have an idea about how much your top speed and fuel average dropped post that (I just saw the photos on the previous page ... looks great! )?
Not enough on the 650, but i did some experiments on the 310GS with the stock bikini fairing, and the tall puig replica. atWOT on nice road, i could feel the difference towards the top end by about 5kmph, and also reluctance to reach there. Fuel average was a general comment, personally never check w.r.t tall and short windscreen.

Quote:
I know that a simple thing like a roof rack on my Storme later I never again managed to hit 180+ on her after that in the 7+ years I've owned her. Maybe 160-165-170 max.
Our director had very similar experience after putting a roof rack on his Isuzu and a lot of wind noise too. (we developed and fabricated that roof rack and again did some trials going back and forth)

Quote:
Personally, the few times I've ridden big adventures with tall-ish windscreens (GS and the Tiger) I've found them hugely distracting, especially the part of looking through them and not through them, and the interface, and the way it moves around as you hustle the bike around.
Its both ways i guess. Recently i exchanged my interceptor with a friend during a ride on the highway. He did not have a screen. I felt very distracted and exposed as i am used to tall screen, like wise, he was uncomfortable too with a tall wind screen.
nasirkaka is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2020, 21:32   #2244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Being a naked bike, the wind blast is just a function of physics, since you are sitting upright and moving at speed, your body is catching air like a boat's sail. A full face helmet will reduce what your face feels and is so much more safer than your current helmet, as yesyeswe rightly pointed out. Do invest in one.

Irrespective of the helmet used, your body will still catch air so to reduce windblast you will have to use a windscreen. I havent ridden a bike with one of the current 650 based windscreen offerings, so I dont know how effective they are. I wont be surprised if it is more style than substance since they are flyscreens to be honest. So realistically, your next best options to reduce wind blast are
- Himalayan windscreen : Effective and wallet friendly.
- Carbon Racing windscreen : Most effective and affordable.
- Puig windscreen : Effective but expensive.

Ive been using the Puig on my Continental GT535 for several years now and on highway rides, it really does cut down windblast a lot and reduces fatigue quite considerably. If you arent doing a lot of highway riding (say 90 kmph and above), you may not actually need a wind screen.
Thanks for your reply! I don't ride a lot on highways, but there are times when I hit good speeds but then feel like the wind blast is too much. I shall look the options mentioned and begin saving accordingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
any updates on the introduction of alloy wheel on the Interceptor? I am toying with the idea of returning to biking, and this bike is well nigh perfect on all counts except for the fact that it doesn't run tubeless tyres, and that is a definite no go for me.
The new bobber was spotted with alloys. They should be of the same size. So hopefully with that launch we should get alloys too.

The Interceptor 650 has once again won the MCN awards for Best Retro Motorcycle.

source

Also, I completed my first 1000 kilometers with my bike. I've had good fun and here's some pictures for you.
Attached Thumbnails
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-20201015_151905.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-20201015_152000.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-20201012_165536.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20201015_165204_435.jpg  

adwaith is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th October 2020, 09:56   #2245
BHPian

[quote=iamgyan;4905821]Hi folks!

2. As someone mentioned here earlier, the fork gaiters are now std equipment and come factory fitted! Yay! I REALLY loved gaiters on this bike but didn't want to get the front end dismantled for just the gaiters . Well, problem solved! My friend is jealous.

Attachment 2066205

I got a BS6 GT650 in July-end, and it didn't come with factory-fitted fork gaiters. Maybe it's a recent addition.
I'm jealous too.
Old 18th October 2020, 10:08   #2246
Senior - BHPian

Anyone installed a GPS tracker? Which brand, any SIM based navigation cum mobile apps ?
Old 18th October 2020, 16:03   #2247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
If anyone has contacts within RE, any information on the introduction of alloy wheels for the Interceptor would be appreciated.
Talked to the dealership again this week and no updates at all. RE had promised alloy wheels within 6 months of launch and now almost 2 years later no sign of this most requested accessory.
And yet they seem to find time to launch mobile apps and tie up with Levis for clothing. No idea what RE is doing.
timuseravan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2020, 16:41   #2248
Senior - BHPian

Any idea why RE is resisting alloy wheels? Are they doing it to stick true to its design language, or is there any technical issue in doing so? I'm asking because this is a sticky point across all RE Forums and needs to be addressed
Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
Talked to the dealership again this week and no updates at all. RE had promised alloy wheels within 6 months of launch and now almost 2 years later no sign of this most requested accessory
Old 18th October 2020, 17:03   #2249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
Talked to the dealership again this week and no updates at all. RE had promised alloy wheels within 6 months of launch and now almost 2 years later no sign of this most requested accessory.
Thank you timuseravan for going the extra mile and checking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Are they doing it to stick true to its design language, or is there any technical issue in doing so?
I feel this is a lackadaisical approach/attitude of RE more than anything else. Even though they surely know the demand for alloy wheels, they don’t want to budge from their lazy scheme of things.

I can’t believe there can be any technical issue involved in perhaps supplying alloy wheels as standard in the 650 custom colours and as an official accessory otherwise. Alloys are already being supplied in the 350 range, so how difficult can it be to make customers happy with the 650’s.

It’s a simple common element demanded/requested by customers which is already being provided in other models, so it has to be an attitude/don’t care what customers say issue.

Cheers
Old 19th October 2020, 08:20   #2250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
Let me try to clear some facts:

- For straight risers like the bikenbiker one, up to one inch, you don't need any re-routing of cables. Installing them needs access from below the steering yoke. Becomes a bit tricky for DIY.

- For pulled back risers like Indimotard (one piece), Carbon Racing & HDT customs, cable rerouting is required. Indimotard is a complete set just like the Motone custom's riser. Carbon racing is the best looking and finished risers and they fit in between the stock handle bar clamps. What I learnt is that the first batch was dispatched from CR and they've run out of stock. Restock is least expected!

- There is a difference in BS4 & BS6 cables harness (not length), for BS6 both accelerator and electrical harness needs to be loosened. For BS4 only accelerator cables needs to be re-routed for HDT Customs
I installed the HDT customs pulled back risers in the second DIY attempt! In the first attempt, we couldn't loosen it. I used 1/4" socket drive with 100mm extender (still short) and some WD40 (mental peace) to loosen it finally. As directed by Hemant from HDT customs, opened the tank and placed the accelerator cables from below the rubber tank mount (where the tank rests) to above it. This part is simple but I was fiddling with the routing options and the throttle becomes tighter when you get it wrong. The clutch cable clips to the chassis needs to be removed just to place the handle bar up and behind. You can put them back once done. The brake lines are fine so are the electrical lines. (For BS6 bikes these needs to be pulled out from the headlight assembly, any BS6 owner can confirm)

As steering is a critical component and control cables are vital components it's always recommended to do this under mechanic's supervision. But the confidence booster of a DIY job is unmatched, that too alone! :
I'm 5'8" and the pulled back risers are definitely more comfortable. It's just enough and after few rides it seems the normal position of the bars.
HDT Customs finish is slightly different from the stock brackets. Only if they could match the gloss finish. In addition, they're not circular like the CR ones hence leaving a slight gap as seen in the picture.

Happy riding,
surjaonwheelz
I rode my INT for about 150kms, I felt my arms being a bit stretched. My shoulders were getting pained. Initially I thought it was because of my backpack, but later even without the backpack, the strain remains. I came home, tilted the handlebars by around 15Deg, went out again. The position is now sportier and slightly more comfortable, but now the wrist is getting strained, especially throttle wrist. If I ride without a finger on the brake lever, it’s ok, but with 1 or 2 fingers on the brake lever, it strains the wrist. I ride for about 1.5hrs one side each day, I better get a handlebar riser. Just need to decide which one, given I am really not keen to stretch wirings and throttle or clutch cabling. I hope the bikenbiker one is a no fuss direct fit part which will be a plain Jane height riser. I do feel the indimotard one is better but I can do with just the simple riser by bikenbiker. Anyone has used the ones sold by bikenbiker?
arpanjha is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks