Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2022, 15:52   #3736
BHPian

Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamsi2390 View Post
So I have prebooked a super meteor and somehow still not convinced if I should go ahead with it as it might not really suit my riding style ( Ground clearance and front set foot pegs)

I do not tend to slow down completely on speed brakers and rather saddle and I think with the super meteor that might not be possible

Contemplating on getting a interceptor rather in baker or the chrome variant. Thoughts?

( I already own a Thunderbird 350X and an Electra )
I think it is an experience that you will want to have at some stage in your life. That seating posture, that 240 kg giving the solidity in ride and also stuff like negotiating bumps carefully. Overall a patient and straight line drive uncluttering the mind.

But you are you and have to take a call! if you do not want this bike why don't you wait for the upcoming biked like SG650, Scrambler, 450 Adv etc...
The Interceptor is probably going to get some changes and you may miss out on that if you buy now!

Regards
Bharath
bharath79 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2022, 18:44   #3737
BHPian

Agreed. But at 33 is it too soon is what seems to confuse me. But, then again, being in the biking seen for soo long, I agree that until I get a test ride might not be able to decide. I might not be able to test ride one but do have access to sit and experience the bike in Hyderabad ( cannot give more details ). Let me go ahead and do it

Also fun fact, Interceptors and GT were available for delivery within 15 days through showrooms or MY Customization. Now, both the twins have a 1-3 month of waiting period. Prioritizing Super Meteor I guess.
Old 9th December 2022, 21:27   #3738
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Contemplating on getting a interceptor rather in baker or the chrome variant. Thoughts?

( I already own a Thunderbird 350X and an Electra )
Interceptor is more powerful version of TB & Electra; Super Meteor is powerful version of Avenger. For a moment forget the bottom getting scraped & consider what kind of riding position you would like to have.

Relaxed riding position is more suited for continuous riding on highways & will be a vermin inside traffic infested city; whereas Interceptor is bit of both, it's a classical style, perhaps THE MOTORCYCLE, something that has started originally since the days of yore!!

Perhaps having TB & Electra for city usage & Super Meteor for cross country rides?

I hope you get some clarity pondering over your dilemma
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2022, 10:55   #3739
BANNED

Super Meteor riding style will be much much different than an Interceptor, so unless you have test ridden both their is no point making a guess, as you might end up thinking of OLX sooner or later if you make a mistake here.
zaks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 09:28   #3740
Senior - BHPian

Can any owner please share the end to end length of the INT650 / GT650 left and right handle bar grips? Left and right grips are of different lengths.

I am considering ordering a pair of after-market grips and want to make sure they fit correctly (bike is still more than a month away).
Old 12th December 2022, 11:32   #3741
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I do not tend to slow down completely on speed brakers and rather saddle and I think with the super meteor that might not be possible

You got to identify the type of ride you intend to do with your purchase. Whether you will be riding only on good roads like plain simple highway oriented breakfast rides , or you intend to tour and see new places which will involve a mix of roads, or you enjoy dabbling a bit into the unknown where u may encounter some trails, or is it love for twisties/ghats, and so on. Once your usage is clearly defined in your head, the choice of a bike becomes relatively easier.
nasirkaka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 14:48   #3742
BHPian

Quote:
I might not be able to test ride one but do have access to sit and experience the bike in Hyderabad ( cannot give more details ). Let me go ahead and do it
Interesting you say that! So the bike is already in Hyderabad? I am from here too.
bharath79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2022, 07:24   #3743
Senior - BHPian

Hello 650 Owners.

After almost 2 years of ownership of my Interceptor, there was one thing that bothered me a lot “The Polished Engine”

A little bit of rain left so many ugly marks on the polished metal. Since I bought the bike in 2020 December, I ended up polishing it more than 15 times. It is time consuming and exhausting task for me.

I had made up my mind mid this year that I need to paint the cases black. I did have the option to buy the black cases, but then the DIY “KEEDA” did not
let me do that.

End of November I opened the side covers at my friend’s workshop and prepped them to be Epoxy premiered, after three days of waiting for curing we painted it in 3 coats of Black.

Sadly, the day of polishing the parts we got too drunk and dropped the parts multiple time. Since the bike was sitting there, we touched up and put the parts back.

The major roadblock was the Magneto cover gasket, I was not able to find it with any dealers all around Australia. I checked with multiple placed in India, no stock is what I was told. Ended up making my own.

Have a look at the below photos. To my eyes it looks amazing. More to be done to the rest of the silver parts.
Attached Thumbnails
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-20221204_205612261_ios.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-20221204_205622768_ios.jpg  

desideep is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 13th December 2022, 11:55   #3744
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desideep View Post
To my eyes it looks amazing. More to be done to the rest of the silver parts.
Nicely executed for a DIY job. That said, you will likely continue to deal with the issue of keeping them looking in top shape when the case makes contact with water or any water with a little mud in it. No escaping that.

I gave up polishing the cases as it was almost impossible to keep them clean. One rain or a ride through some standing water and the cases would have a few marks on them. I had to clean the bike after every ride. That was getting a bit much, for me. There is no more shine or sheen on the engine cases on my bike anymore. I see them as road or battle scars and have decided to live with them.

What exhausts are you using?
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2022, 13:33   #3745
Senior - BHPian

I think painted parts will be easier to keep. I did a test part to start with. Has it for two months minimal maintenance and lots of rain. Simple wash with soap brought it back to amazing shine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
What exhausts are you using?
They are Red Roosters, ordered them in January via Ebay. They sound good. Sound better without the db killers. Can be bit loud when you try to accelerate hard.

Last edited by desideep : 13th December 2022 at 13:35.
desideep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2022, 13:36   #3746
BHPian

Found this on youtube. Not sure about authenticity.
Regarding INT chassis issue.
DrvSafe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2022, 18:55   #3747
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrvSafe View Post
Found this on Youtube. Not sure about authenticity.
Regarding INT chassis issue.
https://Youtu.be/cEiFNxj4mAo
Not to blame the owner here, but the chassis seems to have snapped just ahead of the luggage carrier. Could it be on account of a heavily loaded rack putting pressure on the sub frame… which clearly has no reinforcement for carrying a great deal of luggage? Given that the owner was on a longish tour, this could be a possibility (?).
Urban_Nomad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2022, 11:06   #3748
Senior - BHPian

This is a known issue and has happened to many bikes. When i took my bike for 2nd service about 2 years back, i had the top box on the bike. The service advisor asked to remove the top box as he had already seen 2 cases of the tail of the chassis cracking in exactly the same manner.
I haven't really followed his advise and the top is is usually on the bike all the time, but thankfully its holding fine so far. Maybe RE needs to look at this issue at drawing board level, or may be they already have with the new bikes (?).
nasirkaka is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2022, 08:51   #3749
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I had made up my mind mid this year that I need to paint the cases black. I did have the option to buy the black cases, but then the DIY “KEEDA” did not
let me do that.
Looks nice. I personally prefer a bit less glossy and more of a satin finish. But for a DIY effort, the outcome is excellent! If you can stay sober, you could take up painting as a second job as well, lol.

Quote:
The major roadblock was the Magneto cover gasket, I was not able to find it with any dealers all around Australia. I checked with multiple placed in India, no stock is what I was told. Ended up making my own.
Please check eBay also from next time. Almost all the OE spares for the Twins are being sold on eBay by Indian sellers. This includes all the gaskets and filters. Being in a similar situation, I got a couple of parts ordered to Japan. Of course they end up being more expensive, but I received the items in 4 ~ 5 days. Check out this seller 'Royal Rider' on eBay, I have no affiliation, just good experience.
Viju is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th December 2022, 17:52   #3750
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharath79 View Post
Interesting you say that! So the bike is already in Hyderabad? I am from here too.
It has been here from even before the reveal at EICMA

Last edited by vamsi2390 : 16th December 2022 at 17:58.

Most Viewed