Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2023, 13:43   #3796
Senior - BHPian

Re: My midlife crisis fix : 2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhil Atreya View Post
Hey fellow BHPians,

I have been itching for an upgrade from my current Dominar 400 2018 model. Clocked 17000km so for which has mainly been on the highways.

I have started riding much more than i used to. One ride a month of approx 700-1000km is what i have started doing.

I have test ridden the INT 650 and the KTM adv 390, my heart wants the adv 390 but my mind says lets go in for the INT 650.

I feel that the adv 390 isn't much of an upgrade from what i already have.
I loved the fast revving engine, the seating posture and the crazy tech this bike has to offer.

on the INT 650, i loved the smooth refined engine. The seating posture is something i was not too comfortable, but i guess that can be sorted with some modifications to the seat/handlebars. The wind blast was the thing i hated the most.

I may choose to retain the Dom 400, i have modified it a fair bit to my liking.

Rider profile :
Lcoation : Bangalore
Height : 5'5"
I prefer sticking to the tarmac, but would love to explore the hidden roads. Would someday want to learn the art of riding trails/offroads. (can the INT 650 be modified as an off-roader?)

I'd like you guys to give me your thoughts on this. And help me decide.

Cheers!

Akhil Atreya
This post would get many more views and responses if posted in the below thread or one of the threads which discusses which bike is suitable for a rider depending on his preferences and style.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...-twin-253.html (Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin)

As for the post, I would say wait for the Himalayan 450 or if you need an upgrade now- Adv 390. From what I understood, the Interceptor is not going to suit your type of riding. If you want only a tarmac bike for travelling, then the Meteor 650 too.
Old 13th February 2023, 13:45   #3797
BHPian

Quote:
Hey fellow BHPians,

If you are willing to maintain 2 bikes, get the INT 650 first. Then replace the Dom with KTM down the line (after a few years) once you start exploring the trails. But check the seat height for KTM in trails. I have ridden some trails in my std 350 but I could flat foot as well as saddle with ease as seat height was not troublesome (so check these points against the KTM in your test ride).
Old 13th February 2023, 14:29   #3798

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterChief007 View Post
If you are willing to maintain 2 bikes, get the INT 650 first. Then replace the Dom with KTM down the line (after a few years) once you start exploring the trails. But check the seat height for KTM in trails. I have ridden some trails in my std 350 but I could flat foot as well as saddle with ease as seat height was not troublesome (so check these points against the KTM in your test ride).
Thanks Chief. I found the seat height managable on the KTM. In my DOM , with the modifications ive done the overall seat height is around 850mm.

Among these two bikes. which would you say i a more enjoyable bike to ride?
Akhil Atreya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2023, 14:37   #3799
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have test ridden the INT 650 and the KTM adv 390, my heart wants the adv 390 but my mind says let’s go in for the INT 650.
I would say get the KTM 390 ADV, it will keep you happy and easily be the only bike you need in your garage. I feel you will be ready to let the Dominar go after sometime with the KTM.

Reading your post there are too many compromises and adjustments which you will need to make with the Royal Enfield which is not worth it. Mainly a bike to buy should be the one which makes your heart sing which evidently the KTM does.

Cheers
Old 13th February 2023, 14:40   #3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
I would say get the KTM 390 ADV, it will keep you happy and easily be the only bike you need in your garage. I feel you will be ready to let the Dominar go after sometime with the KTM.

Reading your post there are too many compromises and adjustments which you will need to make with the Royal Enfield which is not worth it. Mainly a bike to buy should be the one which makes your heart sing which evidently the KTM does.

Cheers
Thank you!

Honestly I would prefer the KTM. Just not able to evaluate if its an upgrade from the DOM. The thought of owning a "twin cylinder" is also so tempting. If I was 10 years younger I wouldn't have thought so much.

Hey fellow BHPians,

I have been itching for an upgrade from my current Dominar 400 2018 model. Clocked 17000km so for which has mainly been on the highways.

I have started riding much more than I used to. One ride a month of approx 700-1000km is what I have started doing.

I have test ridden the INT 650 and the KTM adv 390, my heart wants the adv 390 but my mind says lets go in for the INT 650.

I feel that the adv 390 isn't much of an upgrade from what I already have.
I loved the fast revving engine, the seating posture and the crazy tech this bike has to offer.

On the INT 650, I loved the smooth refined engine. The seating posture is something I was not too comfortable, but I guess that can be sorted with some modifications to the seat/handlebars. The wind blast was the thing I hated the most.

I may choose to retain the Dom 400, I have modified it a fair bit to my liking.

Rider profile:
Height: 5'5"

I prefer sticking to the tarmac, but would love to explore the hidden roads. Would someday want to learn the art of riding trails/offroads. (can the INT 650 be modified as an off-roader?)

Cheers!

Akhil Atreya

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
This post would get many more views and responses if posted in the below thread or one of the threads which discusses which bike is suitable for a rider depending on his preferences and style.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...-twin-253.html (Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin)

Thank you. Will also post here for feedback.

As for the post, I would say wait for the Himalayan 450 or if you need an upgrade now- Adv 390. From what I understood, the Interceptor is not going to suit your type of riding. If you want only a tarmac bike for travelling, then the Meteor 650 too.
I just hated the riding posture of the Meteor. I found my legs stretched out wat too much in the front.

I understand the Himalayan 450 may be launched in Q3. Dont have that much patience. . Just unsure if the Adv 390 would be an upgarde from the D 400

————-
Mod Note: Edited for typos, some formatting and use of upper case where needed.

Also, please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Axe77 : 21st March 2023 at 20:55. Reason: See Mod Note.
Old 13th February 2023, 17:58   #3801
BHPian

Quote:
Among these two bikes. which would you say i a more enjoyable bike to ride?
Between KTM and DOM i would say KTM will be much more enjoyable/capable bike. KTM 390 adv is a great all round bike (read city bike, touring as well as off-roading), which neither the DOM nor Int 650 is.

I too have KTM vs Int 650 dilemma going on, but might choose 650 as it will be a totally new experience to own a twin. As Int 650 is a buy one get one free (a.k.a twin cyclinder !!) at it's price.
Old 13th February 2023, 18:15   #3802

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterChief007 View Post
Between KTM and DOM i would say KTM will be much more enjoyable/capable bike. KTM 390 adv is a great all round bike (read city bike, touring as well as off-roading), which neither the DOM nor Int 650 is.

I too have KTM vs Int 650 dilemma going on, but might choose 650 as it will be a totally new experience to own a twin. As Int 650 is a buy one get one free (a.k.a twin cyclinder !!) at it's price.
That’s the only thought I have too. The twin will be a new experience. Plus one can go on and on with customisation.
Old 15th February 2023, 00:50   #3803
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Quote:
Hey fellow BHPians,

I have started riding much more than i used to. One ride a month of approx 700-1000km is what i have started doing.

I feel that the adv 390 isn't much of an upgrade from what i already have.

on the INT 650, i loved the smooth refined engine. The seating posture is something i was not too comfortable, but i guess that can be sorted with some modifications to the seat/handlebars. The wind blast was the thing i hated the most.

Rider profile :
Lcoation : Bangalore
Height : 5'5"

Cheers!

Akhil Atreya
I'm on a similar trip. Got new shoes: Dismotech 18 inch tubeless rims.

I ride all kinds of roads including mild trails. Any bike, including the Interceptor 650 can go off road.

Between the ADV 390 and the 650, buy the ADV if you are serious about off roading.

But if it's a random ride off the beaten path, the INT650 will do just fine. Most riders will find it too heavy for the gnarly stuff.

Cheers,

Jay
Attached Thumbnails
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-jps-interceptor-650-scrambler.jpg  

JayPrashanth is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th February 2023, 10:35   #3804
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I have been itching for an upgrade from my current Dominar 400 2018 model. Clocked 17000km..my heart wants the adv 390 but my mind says lets go in for the INT 650
Quote:
I feel that the adv 390 isn't much of an upgrade from what i already have
Absolutely yes, except for the suspension upgrade

Quote:
Int 650 can NEVER be an offroader no matter what because of it's design; it's design (frame, suspension, weight, COG) is primarily for classical riding style & if it has to be turned into offroader, better buy an offroader.

Replying through:
Heart - Just buy what you like even if it's Versys 650 or Triumph Tiger 660; let's take care of hibernating the bike in garage or burden of EMI later!! Let's take a decision now & think about problems later; after all, it's just one life!!
Brain - You're just itching for an upgrade that's all. Check if you're really into trails; Bangalore has the benefit of hiring motorcycles. Pls try & rent some offroad motorcycles & do some 4-5 trail runs. See how badly you need to do trails. Even if you do 10 trails in a year, it should cost no more than 60K for rental, which is still 15% of 390 ADV. let's take of planning the EMI, problems right now & take an informed decision; after all, one needs to take a calculated risk!!
aargee is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th February 2023, 14:15   #3805
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorlover View Post
My Interceptor has been idling for 2 years now ... Much to my horror, I discovered that the brakes just wouldn't work when started riding my bike. Anyone has any idea as to what could be wrong?
I have had the similar issue recently. I was riding the bike within the city at about 40kmph, applied the front brake and the brake lever just got pressed fully without engaging the brakes. It was extremely scary and to my luck I wasn't on high speeds.

The service center immediately pointed out that there was a malfunction in my master cylinder and the pin had broken off due to wear and tear. This got covered under the warranty and they replaced the full master cylinder since I had put this up on their twitter handle. My bike is a 2020 bs6 version INT.
Old 15th February 2023, 14:54   #3806
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post
I'm on a similar trip. Got new shoes: Dismotech 18 inch tubeless rims.
Jay
Hi
How much did these rims cost you? Also, could you tell me where you sourced them? Thank you
Old 15th February 2023, 16:39   #3807
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeevsulu View Post
Hi
How much did these rims cost you? Also, could you tell me where you sourced them? Thank you
Around Rs. 48,000 (for 18 inchers. 17 inchers are 40K I guess). I got them from Torque Block, who in turn placed the order with Dismotech - the guys who get them contract manufactured upon order.

Horror show dealing with these guys. They said 3 weeks from order placement, and I had to wait for over 2 months after paying in advance.

Dismotech are terrible to deal with:

1. They fit the front rim improperly (no spacer was added and that caused the front wheel to be misaligned). I had to give the bike back for them to fix it.

2. While refitting, they scratched the rims badly. I had to get them repainted by them, and they took another 10 days for that.

So, 3 months in total. Absolutely incompetent people at Dismotech.

Only saving grace: Rims look good, are lighter than stock, and also make the bike more flickable. Long term reliability is unknown for now.

Cheers,

Jay

Last edited by JayPrashanth : 15th February 2023 at 16:40. Reason: Typo
JayPrashanth is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th February 2023, 20:58   #3808

Replying through:
Heart - Just buy what you like even if it's Versys 650 or Triumph Tiger 660; let's take care of hibernating the bike in garage or burden of EMI later!! Let's take a decision now & think about problems later; after all, it's just one life!!

I went for a test ride of the both the bikes again. Managed to convince the showroom guys to let me take it out for a good distance.

I felt the adv 390 was no major upgrade from the DOM. Just didn't like the low torque on the bike and the need for frequent changes in gears. Something i already do on the DOM.

But this time, I loved the way the INT rode. It was a test ride bike which had 18,000km on it.
The change in gears, the acceleration, everything felt so smooth. Felt like a proper upgrade.

And in that instant I listened to what my heart wanted. It made me want to ride it more.

Ive booked the Interceptor 650. They had canyon red in stock and expected delivery is hopefully this weekend. And i'm hoping with this I will ride more. My wife for a change loved my decision. She's never ridden with me and this time she said she would love to go on a ride. .

I think that for me, sealed the deal!!

Thanks guys for all the help!

Last edited by Axe77 : 21st March 2023 at 20:59. Reason: Only two smileys per post please. Also, i —> I
Akhil Atreya is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th February 2023, 21:51   #3809
BHPian

Quote:

Ive booked the Interceptor 650.
My wife for a change loved my decision. She's never ridden with me and this time she said she would love to go on a ride. .
With due respect sir, “You Either Die A Hero, Or You Live Long Enough To See Yourself Become The Villain”
iamgyan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2023, 08:14   #3810
BHPian

My thoughts , coming from owning the Inty 650 for the last 4 years and someone who is craving to buy the KTM A390:

The modern classic from RE is what you should get if you are primarily going to do rides on good roads (highways) most of the time with a little bit of urban city rides. She can manage some off roads but not the ideal machine for it. The twin engine loves to breathe freely and though it can manage city traffic , this beauty is more than happy to let herself go on open roads outside the city. If you can put on some after market slip on exhausts, she will let out some sweet music to your ears when you ride with guaranteed second looks from passers by. I have the AEW T201.

The Austrian single cylinder ADV is what you should get for the plethora of electronic gadgets on offer at the price, the ability to go anywhere and the free revving engine. Though the low end grunt is abysmally low compared to the D390, it still is an accomplished machine. I feel it is way better than the RE Himalayan and you can easily go ahead and buy it for the reasons mentioned above. It will ,I feel still beat the much awaited RE Hima 450.

At the end of the day, both are super machines. One is a modern retro , the other is an entry level single cylinder ADV , which you can take anywhere. You can't go wrong with either but it is where you want to take the bike most of the time you ride, will matter in your decision making.

Feel free to DM me , there are riders of Inty 650 who have done a lot of modifications to make the motorcycle off road worthy, can pass you some leads. Cheers.

Last edited by thumpmeister : 16th February 2023 at 08:18. Reason: Changes in text
thumpmeister is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks