Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2020, 15:09   #2386
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishan12 View Post
To be honest, I am more happy than disappointed with the change. My bike came stock with the Pirellis and for the price and the kind of grip and life Pirellis offer, I believe they are both over priced and over hyped.
There were hardly any options in the market from Indian manufacturers for the tyre size of the twins. The Ralco speed blasters were still not up there in terms of the speed rating, and the Timsums were as expensive or more then Pirellis, now at least we have one from Ceat. I have not ridden on these Ceat tyres but given that they comply with the speed rating of 210 Kmph and are trusted by a big OEM like RE, I tend to believe they would be good for the price, assuming they would be considerably cheaper then the Pirellis.

A lot of times we tend to give more credit to the "imported" stuff than what they actully deserve and in process undermine domestic products. Will wait for feedback on the Ceats and take a call, since my bike tyres would be due for change soon.
Completely agree with you and was thinking along exactly the same lines.

Expensive super sticky rubber is great when your main riding is as a weekend racer in the hills.

But for regular use, and especially when you tour, its actually bleed painful to see your expensive hoops flattening down in the center while your shoulders get barely a workout. Once the internal carcass wires start peeping through, no matter how much rubber you still have left at the edges, that tyre is done.

Sensibly priced Indian tyres (under to max around 10K a set) is the need of the hour. They might not come up to temperature as quick, nor give you the same confidence leaned steeply over and/or putting down the gas, but even if they are 80-90% then they are a necessary alternative for a performance bike that actually gets used in the real world.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 16:06   #2387

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
Still seen on spoked rims, tubeless I don't think so. It would have been breaking news if RE offered tubeless on the twins!

It's more of a shortage of imported tyres, I assume. But I wonder if OEMs can't import tyres who will be able to?

/surjaonwheelz
Pirellis are also tubeless tyres but they come with tubes in them. I've seen a lot of people sell their Pirellis and switch to MRFs because of their lifespan on Indian roads. I live in Bangalore and I get a bout of sadness every time I see my tyres after a ride around town :/
Old 8th December 2020, 16:17   #2388
BANNED

Has anyone looked at the offering from Michelin? I can see 3 tyres for the front for 650 Twins (100/90 R18). A rough shortlist for the two tyre sizes available:

100/90 R18:
  1. Michelin Sirac Street: ₹2,012
  2. Michelin City Pro: ₹2,050
  3. Michelin Pilot Street 2: ₹2,075
  4. Ralco Speed Blaster: ₹1,675

130/70 R18:
  1. Pirelli Sport Demon ₹7,487
  2. Metzeler Lasertec: ₹7,583
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 18:07   #2389
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Has anyone looked at the offering from Michelin? I can see 3 tyres for the front for 650 Twins (100/90 R18). A rough shortlist for the two tyre sizes available:

100/90 R18:

130/70 R18:
The Sirac isnt really the greatest tire out there. The Pirelli Sport Demons were OEM tires for the GT 535. If you are lucky you will get stock of the Pirelli Sport Demon for the front also. They were well matched to the Continental GT 535, though Im not sure how they directly compare to the Sportscomps with the higher power output of the 650s.

Even the Lasertec was being bought as a set by GT 535 owners, feedback on them has been good overall. From your above options, I will suggest either the Pirelli or Metzeler set, as compared to the Michelin option which will need some mix and match.
neil.jericho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 18:24   #2390
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Has anyone looked at the offering from Michelin?

100/90 R18:
All these options are meant for rear tyre of other motorcycles, these can't be used as front tyre on RE twins. Coming to Michelin offerings, 2 options out of these (City Pro & Pilot Street 2) get manufactured in TVS plant and their rubber compound is meant for long lasting durability and don't provide grip even in slightest of wet patches.

Timsun tyres can be an option if high speeds and high speed corner carving isn't part of anyone's requirements.
sukiwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 03:32   #2391
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishan12 View Post
A lot of times we tend to give more credit to the "imported" stuff than what they actully deserve and in process undermine domestic products.
That is true.

That said, local manufacturing needed a bit of a wake up call. It would not have happened had it not been for some of these imported brand of tires fitted on motorcycles manufactured in India. If the tires produced locally are not suitable or good enough, you have to look elsewhere.

It took several years for even a company like MRF to wake up and produce a top notch tire (for cars) that equals if not betters Michelins, Continentals, etc. The ZLO was their first attempt and it was superb. They've now taken it a notch higher with the Perfinza.

When it was time to replace the tire on my KTM 390, there were just two options. Over priced Metzellers or a cheaper Michelin. Had there been options from MRF or Ceat, I would have considered them.

Harris Performance must have looked at the best possible tire for the 650 Twins and narrowed down on the Pirelli based on testing.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 9th December 2020 at 03:36.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 09:35   #2392
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Harris Performance must have looked at the best possible tire for the 650 Twins and narrowed down on the Pirelli based on testing.
Or they would have looked at what gets used on Triumph Street twin and re-use same tyre option .

I feel RE should move to 17" wheels/tyres for new platforms and bikes rather than continuing to play on 'modern retro' theme. If RE wants to make revolutionary bike models, wheel size shouldn't become one of the legacy constraint.
Bajaj Auto made that shift more than a decade back.
sukiwa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 09:49   #2393
BHPian

Hello friends, finally after so many considerations, booked the Ravishing Red last week at Jagadamba, Bangalore.

After thinking about upgrading from my CBR250R, I finally went to the dealership (Jagadamba) for a test ride. At first look, it seems like everyone there is busy. I got the test ride finally, for a distance of 200 meters as there was "no fuel" in the test ride vehicle. Anyways, I expected this. So I did the next best thing; Rented an inti650 for a day for around 5K. Went on a ride to Lepakshi with the missus. After the initial 15-20 kms itself, felt the discomfort in the bums. But all that was negated by the sheer brilliance of the engine. Loved how the torque was available on demand, in any gear.

Anyway, I seriously started researching on any other negatives/ issues on the bike & how to rectify them.

The other bike which I shortlisted was the Dominar 400. The reason I was leaning a bit towards the Dominar was the fact that there were no essential mods that needed to be done on it. (Considering I am upgrading from a CBR).

The Bajaj dealer said the black Dominar was ready & Bajaj finance can be arranged in 5 mins flat. That's when I realized, I may like the Dominar, but I was in love with the inti. And then there was no turning back.

Dealer said there is a waiting period of 10-15 days. It's just been like 3 days, and already feels like eternity.

Anyway, I am using this time to scour through the wealth of information over here from you experienced Team-BHPians.

I have ordered the below accessories already & more are on the way (I mean trying to finalize).

1. Carbon Racing Windshield (Clear)
2. Bobo claw grip Mobile holder + charger.

Carbon Racing handle bar risers - Black ones are out of stock, I am mulling over whether to go ahead with the aluminum ones (before they go out of stock too ) or wait for the black ones for a more aesthetic appeal. I am 5' 4' so I think risers are a must (?)

Seat - RE has come up with a new touring seat which looks exactly like the stock seat (with only a RE touring tag to differentiate it). Has anyone had a chance to look at it yet? The one or two videos that I have seen on Youtube have given nice reviews about it.

OT - This is my first post ever even though I am an avid reader of threads here. I am sorry for the long post, but couldn't contain myself. I am simply so excited about this magnificent beast. Sorry again.
Marias is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 10:32   #2394
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marias View Post
Hello friends, finally after so many considerations, booked the Ravishing Red last week at Jagadamba, Bangalore.

After thinking about upgrading from my CBR250R, I finally went to the dealership (Jagadamba) for a test ride. At first look, it seems like everyone there is busy. I got the test ride finally, for a distance of 200 meters as there was "no fuel" in the test ride vehicle. Anyways, I expected this. So I did the next best thing; Rented an inti650 for a day for around 5K. Went on a ride to Lepakshi with the missus. After the initial 15-20 kms itself, felt the discomfort in the bums. But all that was negated by the sheer brilliance of the engine. Loved how the torque was available on demand, in any gear.

Anyway, I seriously started researching on any other negatives/ issues on the bike & how to rectify them.

The other bike which I shortlisted was the Dominar 400. The reason I was leaning a bit towards the Dominar was the fact that there were no essential mods that needed to be done on it. (Considering I am upgrading from a CBR).

The Bajaj dealer said the black Dominar was ready & Bajaj finance can be arranged in 5 mins flat. That's when I realized, I may like the Dominar, but I was in love with the inti. And then there was no turning back.

Dealer said there is a waiting period of 10-15 days. It's just been like 3 days, and already feels like eternity.

Anyway, I am using this time to scour through the wealth of information over here from you experienced Team-BHPians.

I have ordered the below accessories already & more are on the way (I mean trying to finalize).

1. Carbon Racing Windshield (Clear)
2. Bobo claw grip Mobile holder + charger.

Carbon Racing handle bar risers - Black ones are out of stock, I am mulling over whether to go ahead with the aluminum ones (before they go out of stock too ) or wait for the black ones for a more aesthetic appeal. I am 5' 4' so I think risers are a must (?)

Seat - RE has come up with a new touring seat which looks exactly like the stock seat (with only a RE touring tag to differentiate it). Has anyone had a chance to look at it yet? The one or two videos that I have seen on Youtube have given nice reviews about it.

OT - This is my first post ever even though I am an avid reader of threads here. I am sorry for the long post, but couldn't contain myself. I am simply so excited about this magnificent beast. Sorry again.
Hi Marias,

Congratulations on your decision. I have the same colour and have installed the Bobo mobile charger and holder as well. I went for the matt silver colour one since it matches perfectly with the finish of the levers and does not look out of place mounted on the handle bars.

I have upgraded to the touring seat from RE which looks exactly the same and the difference is night and day for me. Earlier with the stock seat I started hurting my back within 50-100 kms but with this touring seat, I recently did a 500 km round trip and it served me well. I still had minor back ache but taking breaks every 70-80 kms or 1 hour made it comfortable. I am sure I couldn't have lasted more than a couple of hours even with breaks on the stock seat.

If you plan to take your wife on more rides please do consider investing in a pillion back rest as well.
Vikram8891 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 11:38   #2395
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek View Post
I won’t ever deal with them. Please note. These are just my views and my experience. Yours may be different. I keep WhatsApp chats always for proof.
I second what you say. Most of the Products sold are overpriced! The O ring for tank lock seal only (RE sells the complete lock set) that you mention is sold for Rs-/800 for just one Rubber seal!
The Entire lock set is 1200-1300 from RE.
VW original Seals from Germany cost much lesser.

Also, those relays are something around 2k!
Captain Slow is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 12:59   #2396
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

RE spares have become expensive. My bikes front mudguard was cracked, thanks to kids play area close to my parking. Its just a simple injection moulded plastic piece. I expected it to be priced at around 600Rs max but was shocked to know it costs 2K. Just one piece of molded plastic. didnt even include the small mudflap which comes towards the lower part.
nasirkaka is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 13:03   #2397
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram8891 View Post
Hi Marias,

Congratulations on your decision. I have the same colour and have installed the Bobo mobile charger and holder as well. I went for the matt silver colour one since it matches perfectly with the finish of the levers and does not look out of place mounted on the handle bars.

I have upgraded to the touring seat from RE which looks exactly the same and the difference is night and day for me. Earlier with the stock seat I started hurting my back within 50-100 kms but with this touring seat, I recently did a 500 km round trip and it served me well. I still had minor back ache but taking breaks every 70-80 kms or 1 hour made it comfortable. I am sure I couldn't have lasted more than a couple of hours even with breaks on the stock seat.

If you plan to take your wife on more rides please do consider investing in a pillion back rest as well.
Thank you. That helps, coming from someone who has actually used it. . And yes, I will definitely be going for a pillion back rest along with Saddle stays (Zana mostly). Also, probably FormulaX sealant for the tyres. Haven't heard many negative reviews about it.
Marias is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 13:07   #2398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marias View Post
Thank you. That helps, coming from someone who has actually used it. . And yes, I will definitely be going for a pillion back rest along with Saddle stays (Zana mostly). Also, probably FormulaX sealant for the tyres. Haven't heard many negative reviews about it.
I have installed the back rest from Zana along with a bag mounting carrier behind it which is very sturdy and goes well along with the looks of the bike. Like you I have also ordered a windshield. Its from Puig.
Vikram8891 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 18:45   #2399
BHPian

Quote:

100/90 R18:

130/70 R18:
While I do not know the exact specs of the tyres listed for Front, I feel some of them are actually made for rear and do not really compare with the speed rating or load carrying capacity of the stock tyres. And as far as the Pirelli Sport Demon (stock offering on GT535) goes, its not a popular tyre among the GT535 owners I have interacted with. I have never used it and do not know exactly why. I have heard a lot that SportComps are anyday better than Sport Demons. I totally agree that sourcing tyres of 18" is a pain whether it is for front or rear. I hope the new Ceat Zoom Cruz F (the new stock rubbers for RE Twins) are good and reasonably priced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
I second what you say. Most of the Products sold are overpriced! The O ring for tank lock seal only (RE sells the complete lock set) that you mention is sold for Rs-/800 for just one Rubber seal!
The Entire lock set is 1200-1300 from RE.
VW original Seals from Germany cost much lesser.

Also, those relays are something around 2k!
I recently got the complete lockset changed under warranty. I realized that tank was leaking petrol on a long ride The complete lockset sells for 1850/- rupees (part number 148289/F). This issue being a common complaint these days, I hope RE starts selling the gasket separately or someone else comes up with an option with a meaningful price tag. When it happens next and my vehicle is out of warranty, I neither want to replace the whole lockset, nor pay 800 rupees for a gasket.
LazyGunner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 20:01   #2400
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
RE spares have become expensive. My bikes front mudguard was cracked, thanks to kids play area close to my parking. Its just a simple injection moulded plastic piece. I expected it to be priced at around 600Rs max but was shocked to know it costs 2K. Just one piece of molded plastic. didnt even include the small mudflap which comes towards the lower part.
Coming from the manufacturing industry, I will just mention here how the pricing goes for items which are model specific. Just like you correctly mentioned, these are simple injection moulded components, injection moulded parts essentially call for a large mould to be put up on a very large injection moulding machine. Here comes economies of scale, the more they produce, lesser is the cost, since essentially the major cost is for the moulds. For products such as these the mould cost is usually divided for a fixed period (product life cycle) with the no. of parts sold. So, considering the no. of Interceptors/GTs the sales team must have projected to the factory, they have calculated somewhat on this basis. I am sure this number will be a fraction of what the Classic 350 or a Passion/Splendour/Shine sells. Whereas the basic cost of raw material remains the same or similar since by weight they will be close to each other. I hope you get the point why some spares for niche or low volume selling cars or motorbikes are multiple times of similar parts of high selling models. This is from a manufacturing point of view, the marketing angle further adds to the cost using the same logic to their advantage.
This is exactly the reason why now large Motor companies come out with family of products, because they share this capital cost. Like for cars, you can see same family sedans, hatchbacks and sport hatchbacks etc. I hope you understand what I mean.

Last edited by arpanjha : 9th December 2020 at 20:04.
arpanjha is offline   (13) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks