Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2020, 12:42   #2191
BHPian

Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Hey guys, if conditions don't allow for sporty riding have you thought of hardier tires? Based on the road conditions it sounds like a scrambler would be better suited, ergo change the tires to suit the conditions. The less sporty tires don't cost much and last. I don't recall punctures being such a big concern with the MRF Nylogrip or the Zappers.

I agree with Ashwin, small changes can result in profoundly different handling. My ZMA used to bottom out front suspension and mudguard would hit the number plate, I complained to the Tech who said he fixed it. When I asked him about the fix, he said he added 10ml extra! I was highly skeptical. Lo and behold, the ZMA became a handling wonder from an overtly soft and bouncy front end. Later I found that the air trapped at the top of the down tube acts like an airspring, the extra oil has shortened the airspring and alleviated the bouncy front end to another level. I still can't believe it.
Beast_of_Burden is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th September 2020, 12:57   #2192
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast_of_Burden View Post
I will say this at the outset, the handling is transformed. To truly appreciate the potential of the INT it needs this suspension upgrade, it is an absolute must have. It's that good and the transformation that significant. Some riding impresions, a lot of it is an echo of my friend's earlier feedback.
Thanks for sharing! This further confirms my belief that while the stock suspension is good enough for most riders, getting premium suspension for the 650 twins just goes to make them even better all round packages. While playing with the suspension settings on my bike, I have found that I am able to ride on the same undulating roads at least 5 - 10 kmph faster and I only noticed it when I looked down at the speedo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post
4. Alloy wheels. Royal Enfield has yet to launch their units. Royal Erado (not sure who runs it. I guess the Chinese run it.) makes UGLY ones, like really UGLY ones. Was puke-inducing stuff to me until I watched a video from RideWithRaj on Youtube. He's powder coated the alloys, in black, and it looks passable now. I still don't like the protrusion on the rims but at least, it's bearable aesthetically. I called up one Mr. Mukesh Ranka who runs BS Auto Accessories on Grant Road, Mumbai, and he had black, powder coated rims in stock. He says the powder coating will easily handle Mumbai monsoonsm and the corrosion that the sea brings. I have gone with his word on this, and I just paid about Rs. 9,400 for a set of two Royal Erado alloys, in black. I should be receiving them by the weekend.

My kind of riding involves saddling on broken roads and no roads but not rocks or crazy off roading. I have ridden bikes with OEM alloy wheels on such roads without issues. Let's see what happens with aftermarket alloys. Besides, the Int 650 is at best a reasonable scrambler (like the Triumph 900) with suspension upgrades, and too heavy to be an XPulse.
Do keep us updated on this product, we dont have too much feedback on the real world performance of these after market alloys. Of course with the broken roads, you will be putting the alloys to the test so it will be a baptism by fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Measure the height of your stock shocks and also compress it by putting your body weight on it. It'd give you a fair estimate of where you'd want to be.

After that simply go out looking for something that'd suit your needs, a pair of shocks cost anywhere from 1.5 to 5k depending on whether you get Gabriel or Endurance or Showa.
While the approach you have shared is correct in theory, from what I know, it is difficult to actually know what shock to go for in reality. The Gabriel site for example, makes no technical details known of their different products. The Endurance site doesnt even work. So I am not able to understand, is there is way to know what you are actually getting when you look at 5 options in front of you? Or just pick which one is closest to the dimensions of the OEM exhaust and try your luck? And then work through your options till you find one that works?

Or is there something else to look for which we have not discussed so far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Sorry, i was not clear. Like i said suspension tech is new to me, i would dare not attempt all those mods at one one go. I am getting a front suspension kit from Way2Speed which comprises of:
* Custom front fork progressive springs, Will get two sets of varied hardness, can try both in tandom and see which suits better if any.
* Preload adjuster cum fork extender. The collar of this preload adjuster cap is longer so can raise the triple t by 5 to 15 mm, if desired.
* spacer tube for the spring
* Dampner rod extender - will give 10mm extra suspension travel.
* SAE grade 10W fork oil with some additives to prevent loss of viscosity with heat.
I am very intrigued by this offering as I have not heard of Way2Speed outside of this forum. But they seem to be on the right path to affordable (Im assuming!) suspension upgrades after having done the R&D and corresponding testing themselves. This will avoid the cost of spares and the time involved in experimenting with these things ourselves. If you dont mind me asking, can you share the pricing to be expected for their front suspension kit? Since it is an item for pre-order, the pricing does not appear on their webpage.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2020, 13:17   #2193
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
I am very intrigued by this offering as I have not heard of Way2Speed outside of this forum. But they seem to be on the right path to affordable (Im assuming!) suspension upgrades after having done the R&D and corresponding testing themselves. This will avoid the cost of spares and the time involved in experimenting with these things ourselves. If you dont mind me asking, can you share the pricing to be expected for their front suspension kit? Since it is an item for pre-order, the pricing does not appear on their webpage.
Yes, hes been trying and experimenting for a while now and only trying to market it now. Intial offer price was some 10k but but he intends to sell the entire kit for 13K. Its not that cheap either, but the YSS front suspension kit costs clost to 28K with installation. Lets see how it goes.
nasirkaka is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2020, 16:21   #2194
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
While the approach you have shared is correct in theory, from what I know, it is difficult to actually know what shock to go for in reality. The Gabriel site for example, makes no technical details known of their different products. The Endurance site doesnt even work. So I am not able to understand, is there is way to know what you are actually getting when you look at 5 options in front of you? Or just pick which one is closest to the dimensions of the OEM exhaust and try your luck? And then work through your options till you find one that works?

Or is there something else to look for which we have not discussed so far?
Once we get rid of the notion that one setup works for all and then go through research material like the one I'd PM'd, we'd get a clear understanding of what the suspension should and shouldn't do, after that it's just about finding the right match as per the recommended spec.

Now based on budget and spare availability we can either get a setup that is perfect to the dot or get one that is in the general ballpark of our weight.

Since we have the recommended numbers at hand the next thing that needs to be done is remove the stock shock from the motorcycle, measure it and then put load on it to gauge compression.

Once you're done just go to your nearest showroom or spares shop and find a suitable match.

Length is the most obvious factor and once you have found a lengthwise match next you put load on it, use your body weight. It would give you a relative idea of compression.

Once you find a suitable match you can buy a pair and install them. After installation you could get the tape measure out again and measure your static sag and free sag and compare it to recommended specs if you're doubtful of yourself to be certain.

There is a more technical approach but that is not feasible as individual parts are hard to source here, if otherwise then it'd make sense to be concerned about damping and spring rates independently, else there is really no point.

Tuners take advantage of the same and hence charge a premium as they have better resources, but once again, unless your stock suspension is so pathetic to begin with you'd not really gain anything from a one size fits all setup as the right suspension setup is always weight dependent.

The next obvious question is whether you're willing to pay someone big bucks for a generic fix when you could do it better yourself with the help of quality reading material and logic at a fraction of the cost.

Again if going into the intricate details then it'd need it's own thread but we need not go that far into the specifics as we already have enough quality material out there.

P.S. The reference to Tuners is directed to the desi kind that throw in everything including the kitchen sink and expect things to work, not the pro's that charge 10k for an hour for consultation alone.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 29th September 2020 at 16:31.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2020, 19:43   #2195
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Since we have the recommended numbers at hand the next thing that needs to be done is remove the stock shock from the motorcycle, measure it and then put load on it to gauge compression.

Once you're done just go to your nearest showroom or spares shop and find a suitable match.

Length is the most obvious factor and once you have found a lengthwise match next you put load on it, use your body weight. It would give you a relative idea of compression.

Once you find a suitable match you can buy a pair and install them. After installation you could get the tape measure out again and measure your static sag and free sag and compare it to recommended specs if you're doubtful of yourself to be certain.
So you just push the suspension with your hands or your put some body weight on it and you are able to gauge the performance of a potential replacement at the spares shop? Sounds a lot like trial and error.
Old 29th September 2020, 21:50   #2196
BANNED

Quote:
So you just push the suspension with your hands or your put some body weight on it and you are able to gauge the performance of a potential replacement at the spares shop?
Given the circumstances, Yes.

As said before, unless we are able to get details on spring rates and alternate spring options to rebuild our rear shocks, yes rebuild, we just have to make good of what we have.

And even if we get alternate springs with their specs mentioned there still is trial and error involved, this is one part of motorcycling that is yet to be digitised, at least as far as the mass market options are concerned.

Quote:
Sounds a lot like trial and error.
It is.

That is how we do it, that is also how the guy you pay 10k for an hour tells you to do it.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2020, 23:05   #2197
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Given the circumstances, Yes.
One, with the swapping out of such a crucial element of a motorcycle for self testing based on honestly no science, this doesnt sound like a very safe approach. Two, well if it works for you, forget all about point number one.

Quote:
That is how we do it, that is also how the guy you pay 10k for an hour tells you to do it.
Are you talking about Dave Moss?
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2020, 09:02   #2198
BANNED

Quote:
One, with the swapping out of such a crucial element of a motorcycle for self testing based on honestly no science, this doesnt sound like a very safe approach. Two, well if it works for you, forget all about point number one.
I believe you've not understood the working principle here and my over simplification has muddled things even further.

On a similar note, when it comes to setting Valves we're supposed to align the T Mark on the crankshaft with the case, then we have to keep rotating and align timing marks such that the engine is at TDC past its compression stroke.

The above can be said as is or I can tell you that all you'd need to do is pull the plug, insert a screw driver and turn the motor, the point where the screw driver is at its highest tug the rockers, if both are free thats where the money is.

Now you may feel the second method is unscientific when in fact it gets the job done just as well.

That is simply how understanding the working principle has an impact on one's outlook. But yes, you're entitled to your opinion, the reason I take this effort is in hopes that one doesn't end up relying on the comfort of ambiguity by paying someone else to do an even shoddier job.

After all, whatever the methodology be, in the end after setting the Motorcycle up the tape measure doesn't lie.

Quote:
Are you talking about Dave Moss?
Yes indeed, I believe he's the only one who offers remote consulting.
ashwinprakas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2020, 10:01   #2199
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I

Yes indeed, I believe he's the only one who offers remote consulting.
Lyndon poskitt does too, through his website. He builds custom adventure bikes ground up as well based on the Dakar bikes.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2020, 10:14   #2200
BHPian

I have no comments on the suspension issue.

Quote:
On a similar note, when it comes to setting Valves we're supposed to align the T Mark on the crankshaft with the case, then we have to keep rotating and align timing marks such that the engine is at TDC past its compression stroke.
1. Make sure you rotate the crankshaft in anticlockwise direction while setting the valves.
2. Works if you have set the OHC correctly too in relation to the timing marks on the crankshaft and the case.

Quote:
The above can be said as is or I can tell you that all you'd need to do is pull the plug, insert a screw driver and turn the motor, the point where the screw driver is at its highest tug the rockers, if both are free thats where the money is.
I personally prefer this method.

Last edited by srini1785 : 30th September 2020 at 10:27.
srini1785 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2020, 12:37   #2201
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry, i was not clear. Like i said suspension tech is new to me, i would dare not attempt all those mods at one one go. I am getting a front suspension kit from Way2Speed which comprises of:
* Custom front fork progressive springs, Will get two sets of varied hardness, can try both in tandom and see which suits better if any.
* Preload adjuster cum fork extender. The collar of this preload adjuster cap is longer so can raise the triple t by 5 to 15 mm, if desired.
* spacer tube for the spring
* Dampner rod extender - will give 10mm extra suspension travel.
* SAE grade 10W fork oil with some additives to prevent loss of viscosity with heat.
Do keep us updated on your experience with the front fork upgrade kit. I am mainly looking for improvements with handling road anomalies better, and not bottoming out. Also hoping for better damping to stop the front suspension from killing my forearms on village and smaller roads.
Old 30th September 2020, 13:45   #2202
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am getting a front suspension kit from Way2Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast_of_Burden View Post
I doubt the warranty is impacted, but I say screw the warranty. I felt safer with the upgraded suspension. In the grand scheme, it's not that expensive since it actually works. Completely reversible and non-intrusive. I paid 72k for the ZMA back then nearly new, now just the suspension upgrade on the INT costs more. Still, the INT with the YSS suspension is quite the package.
These are important posts and experiences with the different options being evaluated by you guys as well as others. Thanks for sharing updates.

Unfortunately I feel posts like these are going to get lost in this otherwise very active thread.

I sense a lot of current owners (like me) are going to look back at these posts in a year or two for sure. And the same questions are going to get repeated. Maybe the need of the hour is to have a separate thread on suspension upgrades for the Twins.
ninjatalli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th September 2020, 15:04   #2203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
I sense a lot of current owners (like me) are going to look back at these posts in a year or two for sure. And the same questions are going to get repeated. Maybe the need of the hour is to have a separate thread on suspension upgrades for the Twins.
I agree on having a dedicated thread for twins' suspension. I plan to bring home the Interceptor by the end of this year and am actively following the thread.
hiren.mistry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2020, 15:12   #2204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
These are important posts and experiences with the different options being evaluated by you guys as well as others. Thanks for sharing updates.
a separate thread on suspension upgrades for the Twins.
I agree with you, there should be a separate thread on the suspension upgrades of the Twins as it is the primary concern of the owners and it would be beneficial for everyone, including the non members who google regarding this issue.

I am not a corner craver and i don't understand the various technicalities of the suspension, but even i could tell that there were some issues with the front suspension just after making the purchase. And the thud sounds irritates me even after one year of making the purchase.

I wanted to post some pictures on the thread but i thought it would be unimportant and would hide the important technical discussions which are going on the thread. Even this post adds nothing to new value.
yesyeswe is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2020, 15:14   #2205
Distinguished - BHPian

One you can report the post from where you want it to be moved to a new thread. Click the triangle with exclamation mark. I could do it, but I don’t own an interceptor lol.
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks