Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2021, 16:27   #2896
BHPian

Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamg28 View Post
+1
I'm a Himalayan owner too. If cone set bearing nut is set too tight, the bike becomes hard to steer. Could be a similar issue here too.

So far none of the SVCs have determined it to be an issue with a bent/misaligned fork, which isn't to say that it may not be the case, however, I have heard of the cone set issue plenty.
Generally, the simplest test of fork alignment is to let go of the handlebar while riding on a known flat road and to check for consistent pull towards one side. If that is not the case, then that's a good sign.

As for steering head bearings, if they are binding, you should be able to feel that when the bike is on the centre stand and the handlebar can be rotated easily by hand. This is not a definitive test but it helps in diagnosing the cause of the problem.

Both these tests can be done fast and easily without any tools or special know-how.

If the bike has been crashed but repaired, carefully check the sides of the bike for obvious signs of a crash. A suspiciously new crash guard or foot pegs, etc. will reveal a lot.

Good luck!
Motard_Blr is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th June 2021, 21:47   #2897
BHPian

Check when was the bike last serviced and whether the Service Centre had adjusted the handle allen bolts, I would suggest to get it checked with a trusted mechanic or service centre. I had asked the SA to tighten the allen bolts during the 3rd Service and the steering movement was much lighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Interceptor owners, please help.

I'm pretty close to picking up a used Inteeceptor. Everything about the bike felt good except that it didn't handle very well. Exact problem- the bike had a very high effort steering and felt like it didn't want to corner. It wanted to stand up mid turn and I had to constantly apply pressure to maintain even a moderate lean angle
setuniket is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2021, 22:44   #2898
D3A

Quote:
Interceptor owners, please help.

I'm pretty close to picking up a used Inteeceptor. Everything about the bike felt good except that it didn't handle very well. Exact problem- the bike had a very high effort steering and felt like it didn't want to corner. It wanted to stand up mid turn and I had to constantly apply pressure to maintain even a moderate lean angle

I understand that something as simple as tyre pressure may be the culprit here, but want to check with the owners if anyone has faced similar issues and if yes, what was the remedy

The bike was generally in pretty good nick otherwise and had done 5500 kms. The tyres (pirelli sport comps) had plenty of tread left

That is the nature of the Pirelli Sportscomp. They are pretty bad tyres. Im a Street Twin owner and it had the same tyres. I changed them and the change in bike's cornering behaviour was night and day.
D3A is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2021, 23:36   #2899
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3A View Post
That is the nature of the Pirelli Sportscomp. They are pretty bad tyres. Im a Street Twin owner and it had the same tyres. I changed them and the change in bike's cornering behaviour was night and day.
Thanks. What did you change them to? The only choice I see are the sport demons and maybe the new ceat cruz. Could be wrong though but I sure couldn't find many options for good sticky rubber here

Gonna go see a couple more this weekend and should have a pretty good comparison

Honestly though, in talking to a few other owners, they said its just how the bike is (slow to steer, high effort steering) and one gets "used to it". If this is the case then its quite a deal breaker and I will cross this off my list
Old 30th June 2021, 16:37   #2900
BHPian

Installed Trip Machine Seat

Just received the seat today and took a short 10 Km spin. First impressions are that the seat is quite hard. I have the touring seat as well and this one is much harder. The ribbed design actually supports the tail bone nicely and it feels like this will be a seat for very long distances.

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-vs-stock-seat.jpg
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-side-view.jpg

The literature which came along with it says that it can take up to 45 mins of water abuse but I will take that with a pinch of salt. Will not be using it in the monsoons. It also advises to remove the seat when washing the bike which seems quite obvious.
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-front-straight.jpg
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-back-straight.jpg
I will reserve any judgment till I have actually ridden it for at least a 1000 kms.
Vikram8891 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st July 2021, 19:09   #2901

Quote:

Honestly though, in talking to a few other owners, they said its just how the bike is (slow to steer, high effort steering) and one gets "used to it". If this is the case then its quite a deal breaker and I will cross this off my list
I am a new rider and I didn't find it slow or hard to steer while riding. However, it is incredibly hard to move the handle when the bike is standing still.

The cornering and curving is a learnt art on this motorcycle. Unlike the lighter lower CC bikes- this bike would need you to learn tilt/lean instead of completing banking on the hand steer. Once you've grasped that- it is super navigable without effort.

I find it easy to weave through the Hyderabad traffic. Plus with its power you can overtake literally every motor on the road- bike, car, bus, doesn't matter.
rohirrim is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2021, 20:14   #2902
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirrim View Post
Unlike the lighter lower CC bikes- this bike would need you to learn tilt/lean instead of completing banking on the hand steer. Once you've grasped that- it is super navigable without effort.
I love to learn new things on motorcycles, though I had a little difficulty understanding this concept. Can you please elaborate?

Also I think the OP is pretty proficient with motorcycles and is specifically asking about this one issue where,
when leaned over the bike wants to stand up again.

Quote:
... Exact problem- the bike had a very high effort steering and felt like it didn't want to corner. It wanted to stand up mid turn and I had to constantly apply pressure to maintain even a moderate lean angle
With my limited run on the GT, the bike does take a wee bit more effort than say a KTM but once leaned over it holds true(should be easier on the Interceptor courtesy the wider handlebar), so I would tend to agree with most experienced guys who pointed out to fork issues (tyre pressure is an obvious no brainer that you would have ruled out). The only other thing I can think of is, the throttle cable is catching on something and while you're right hand has it closed its still accelerating and that would stand the bike up, does the bike have any bar risers or such mods?One way to negate this is, take a dealer test ride bike on the same road if possible and see how it behaves. Good luck with your search
deepfreak15 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st July 2021, 21:32   #2903
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfreak15 View Post
The only other thing I can think of is, the throttle cable is catching on something and while you're right hand has it closed its still accelerating and that would stand the bike up, does the bike have any bar risers or such mods?One way to negate this is, take a dealer test ride bike on the same road if possible and see how it behaves. Good luck with your search
The throttle cable theory is excellent. Never thought of that. Will bear this in mind when I go to test ride a couple other bikes this weekend. I'm really hoping that this handling issue was a one off case. I've looked at every review on the internet and none mention any handling issues whatsoever. I'll be honest, this one experience has really dulled my spirit wrt wanting this bike in my garage. If the issue were to repeat itself, this gets stricken off the list for good

Btw, one DL registered bike that I was going to see this weekend was sold today for 2.10 lac. It was a 2019 model with around 6k on the odo. I think it was fair deal, or maybe 10 to 15k more than what I would want to pay. Any thoughts on the price?
Urban_Nomad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2021, 22:11   #2904
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Btw, one DL registered bike that I was going to see this weekend was sold today for 2.10 lac. It was a 2019 model with around 6k on the odo. I think it was fair deal, or maybe 10 to 15k more than what I would want to pay. Any thoughts on the price?
Prices down south are definitely higher than what you quoted. But that holds good for all bikes and cars. I hear that low run preowned ones are going for Rs 2.3 - 2.5L. Often even higher! I saw some folks paying Rs 2.7 L for a low run Interceptor.
neil.jericho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2021, 05:24   #2905
BHPian

Quote:
I've looked at every review on the internet and none mention any handling issues whatsoever. I'll be honest, this one experience has really dulled my spirit wrt wanting this bike in my garage. If the issue were to repeat itself, this gets stricken off the list for good
RE has hit the ball out of the park on two fronts, heritage look and feel being one and the other, smiles per miles factor. The twins are fun and nimble for tarmac use and you can't go wrong. Plus they are very mod friendly.

Quote:
In addition to what Neil has mentioned I personally feel when shopping in the used market the right price is what you think the vehicle is worth. The market might say xx is the range but if you find a well cared for bike with a very transparent ownership and service history I wouldn't mind paying a tad bit over the market value. Do note, I am not the right person to answer this. I enter the market with full josh to buy a used vehicle but end up getting cold feet and going down the new vehicle path.

Last edited by deepfreak15 : 2nd July 2021 at 05:26.
deepfreak15 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2021, 12:04   #2906
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Prices down south are definitely higher than what you quoted. But that holds good for all bikes and cars. I hear that low run preowned ones are going for Rs 2.3 - 2.5L. Often even higher! I saw some folks paying Rs 2.7 L for a low run Interceptor.
True, prices down south are significantly higher. For what its worth, I picked up a October 2020 BS6 Interceptor for 2.6L with quite bit of accessories. Got his bike home in April this year.

Last edited by hiren.mistry : 2nd July 2021 at 12:14.
hiren.mistry is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th July 2021, 19:16   #2907
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tripmachine Seat for the INT 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram8891 View Post
I pre ordered it 2 months back and its currently in transit. I had asked about its water wading capabilities on whatsapp to their consumer care and they responded saying there should be no water seepage into the cushioning or any lasting damage for the first 90 mins.

I will however not be using it in the rains or while washing it. Will stick to the Touring seat of the Interceptor till the monsoons end before giving it a go.
Did you get this? Like to know your review/feedback on ride rupport.
Old 5th July 2021, 14:23   #2908
BHPian

Re: Tripmachine Seat for the INT 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbenny View Post
Did you get this? Like to know your review/feedback on ride rupport.
Hi,

You can find some pics which I uploaded 7 or 8 posts back. As of now I have ridden 200+ kms and am not very happy with the seat. It is extremely hard and is akin to a plank of wood. I did a 100 km highway ride and I definitely felt a degree of discomfort. Now I am hoping that this seat improves over time but if it doesnt I will be using it for city rides only and use the touring seat for long highway runs.

I have given this feedback to tripmachine as well and the owner has promised to contact me soon to discuss it. I shall keep updating as and when this happens.
Vikram8891 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 15:18   #2909
Senior - BHPian

A lot of handling related issues can be attributed to the tires.

In my case, the bike has done around 8K KMS and I was uncomfortable with the front end. The issues I faced:
1. Heavy steering with the bike taking a lot of efforts to change directions
2. Very difficult to manoeuvre the bike at parking speeds
3. Handlebar wobble at almost any speeds, so much so that on a recent trip I had to be mindful of handlebar vibes at speeds above 70-80 kmph

For point 3: I got the triple T and spokes tightened at the service center, it helped a bit but then the wobbles came back with a vengeance with the handlebar wobbling away to glory at almost any speeds. This led me to believe that the tire is at end of its life.

I was on the verge of replacing the Sportcomps with Ceat's but came across a 4K KMS used Sportcomps and got it shod on the bike. Immediately, the bike's behavior changed. The steering has become so much lighter, the handlebar wobbles at speeds around 40 kmph have disappeared.

Here's the state of my old tire:
Tread wear indicator almost flush with the top of the tread.
Attached Thumbnails
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-inkedinty-front_li.jpg  

Last edited by hiren.mistry : 5th July 2021 at 15:30.
hiren.mistry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 15:37   #2910
BHPian

Thats a wear indicator? I thought something got wedged in the groove! It looks like it has got another 4k kms on it.
On another note, my bike has clocked around 9k and the rear tyre has turned into semi-slick. The wear rate of these tyres is just astounding!

Last edited by corvus corax : 5th July 2021 at 15:38.
corvus corax is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks