Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2021, 21:28   #2701
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

This explains why no Interceptor or GT examples were caught testing or observed by members, as generally is the case if there are actual meaningful updates.

On the plus side, buying a used 650 from 2019 doesn't mean you are missing something. In fact since Ice Queen and Dr. Mayhem options have been discontinued, which were quite popular, I suspect those bikes to be in high demand in used markets.
amol4184 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2021, 22:38   #2702
BHPian

This is the new touring seat for the interceptor 650. Arguably the Version 2 as called by royal enfield. It seems different to the earlier diamond quilted seat, atleast in the looks department.
Btw this is my first post on team bhp, so hey everybody from a fellow 650 owner.
Attached Thumbnails
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-screenshot_20210322222308_royal-enfield.jpg  

meetbhav is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2021, 23:32   #2703
BHPian

New bikes are running on ceat zoom Cruz tyres wonder how it will stack up against the pirellis.

But then again at least there are tyre options now.
Manan9876 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 01:14   #2704
BHPian

IMO looking at these bikes from a North American / European POV the lack of new features makes sense. They're supposed to be 'back to basics' retro classic bikes that you buy because you want a motorcycle that looks and feels like a 'real' motorcycle. And people in foreign markets have appreciated the simplicity and gizmolessness of these bikes. Adding alloys and tire pressure monitoring and navigation and bluetooth and all that is against the core idea behind their existence. And I'm pretty sure their appeal in NA/Europe would reduce if they had more features, as that makes them more generic, less of a statement, less stylish.

Now of course you might say the Indian market is different, it's not that we have a wide range of gizmo-laden Japanese and European street nakeds to choose from, which are precisely what RE is contrasted with in the west, and you would be right. But for this price if you want features and about the same power, there's the Duke. One could well say that it's a problem with our market and our lack of options, and not with RE, that we're dissatisfied with new colour schemes. These two are supposed to be simple as hell and look great, and now they can look great in a few new colours.
karanddd is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 05:00   #2705
Senior - BHPian

Is it just the image rendering that makes the engine case and exhaust look like a matt finish? I do like this look.

As long as Royal Enfield offer alloys as an option, thats a plus. I love the spoke wheel look of the bike.

The lack of Tripper Navigation is not a deal breaker. Yes, would be nice to have but I'm just wondering how RE would have integrated this in the existing instrument cluster. I for one don't want something sticking out like a sore thumb.

For folks buying this bike, spend some time with the motorcycle and then decide what you want to upgrade. I find the stock seat plenty supportive and don't feel the need to switch to the touring seat.
sandeepmohan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 11:19   #2706
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manan9876 View Post
New bikes are running on ceat zoom Cruz tyres wonder how it will stack up against the pirellis.

But then again at least there are tyre options now.
They're running on Ceats post lockdown, 2020. Please check previous posts on this thread.

Sadly this is the only option now, which is being sold at a price greater than MRP in open markets!

Ceat - selling for around 8k+ (MRP less than 6k) for a pair
Ralco - offroad block pattern - not everyone's choice!

Timsun - atleast a year old stock, front and rear pair not available, may have to upsize.
Pirelli Sportscomp - no stock

Pirelli Scorpion Trail & other imported tyres - selling at a higher cost and big bike owners are also in queue for them! You've to upsize to 150 section for this. Very less stock.

The bike has completed 2 years in the market and the first year buyers are looking for new tyres.

GOI should remove the import ban. When applying safety norms like ABS they are smart enough to include 125cc rule (<125 can have combo braking system or something) Why such blanket cover for tyres? Tyre sizes manufactured in India can't be imported! What about speed rating? What about tyre compound?

The same situation may be with big bikes having 18" & 19" wheels (Scramblers & Bonnies). 390 Adventure will face the same situation soon!

/surjaonwheelz

Last edited by surjaonwheelz : 23rd March 2021 at 11:21.
surjaonwheelz is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 12:39   #2707
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
They're running on Ceats post lockdown, 2020. Please check previous posts on this thread.

/surjaonwheelz
I do not follow this thread nor this site frequently, must have slipped my notice.

The matter now is can the Ceat tyres match with the Pirellies for the average rider?

Govt import ban is an indication of falling foreign reserves or simply the Govt has decided that such reserves be used somewhere else. Or perhaps they want to protect domestic manufacturers from imports.

If domestic products are in league or at least comparable to the imported products that there is no issue.

I agree that for individuals wishing to go to track would require specialized tyres but as of now that cannot be taken into priority, right now the focus should perhaps be on saving industries and whatever employment they have in relation to the population of this country.

In a more cynical note, big motorcycles are a luxury for a country like this and the fate of such and their users are hardly anyone's concern, moreso I would be willing to bet that the discomfort to the users of big bikes are now seen with glee by those envious and incapable to purchase such bikes.
Manan9876 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 13:04   #2708
BHPian

I like most of the new colours. Not a fan of the Ventura Blue and Downtown Drag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
2021 RE Interceptor 650 & GT650 Launched From Rs. 3.17 L To Rs. 3.58 L

The price hike may not be justified, but considering that i Paid ₹3.3 lakh onroad, it doesn't seem like much.

P.S.: @AtheK, the linkis broken. It has the title before the URL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetbhav View Post
This is the new touring seat for the interceptor 650. Arguably the Version 2 as called by royal enfield. It seems different to the earlier diamond quilted seat, atleast in the looks department.
Btw this is my first post on team bhp, so hey everybody from a fellow 650 owner.
Hi there! Welcome aboard.

Is the seat better than the previous one, in terms of comfort?

Quote:
Sadly this is the only option now, which is being sold at a price greater than MRP in open markets!

Pirelli Sportscomp - no stock

GOI should remove the import ban.
This is concerning. I'm comfortable with the Pirellis and a little apprehensive to change. I had read that the Ceats aren't as good too.

The ban is preposterous. If locally manufactured tyres were of adequate quality, this move would've made sense. I can't understand why I must compromise my safety in the interest of manufacturing.

Is there at least at option to import paying more import duty?
adwaith is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 15:22   #2709
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Heard many complain about RE missing on Tripper Navigator in the new launch. I really fail to understand if its really required. It adds to the bikes electrical system complexity. It needs to connect to phone anyways. Its a tiny dial and difficult to navigate via in relation to a phone screen. Phone holders are available in plenty and their designs have improved and there are also weather proof options. Personally, i think the simpler the system the better it is and to me, its not really important in its present scheme.

Yes, Alloys is something which a lot of us have been waiting for. It would have been a good addition for those looking for the comfort and cushion of running a tubeless setup from DIY type puncture repair point of view.

I was my self waiting for alloys for eternity, but few weeks back, got the spokes converted to tubeless type. The reason being a low-cost solution. The cost for both the front and rear wheel combined including material and labour came to 1800Rs. Thats right, 1800.
A friend figured out that a brand of multipurpose sealant by the name Dowsil can be used to seal the spokes. He tried it on his bike and ran successfully for a month without any issues, so i asked him to convert my bike to tubeless setup as well. Initially, there was some leak from the side wall, but that was due to tyre not seated properly. Its been few weeks since the conversion and tyres have been holding fine.

Its a different story that i have not ridden the bike much for last couple of weeks. The bike is been lying at teknik motors indiranagar, Bangalore. last few months, i was having this issue where the low battery warning lights would suddenly come up, esp in slow moving city riding conditions. One fine day, the bike refused to start. Managed to push start somehow and got the battery charged. The battery health seemed good as per the battery shop guy. But post that incident left the bike at service center to find out the cause. They replaced the RR unit and it did not resolve the issue. Then the replaced the battery with a new one, and ran it for 2 hours without the warning light coming on. So they have taken the old battery to exide for some tests and trying to get a replacement under warranty. The whole process is Un-necessarily taking a long time.. Been 16 days since the bike is at service station. And after all that, they are not even sure if its a battery issue but suspect it is 95%

And in one of the Bangalore whatsapp group for the twins, people who have got the bike with new CEAT tyres are pretty happy with the result. As per their feedback, its better then pirallis on gravel/ broken roads and feels more sure-footed up to about 120kays. so not bad to start with.

Last edited by nasirkaka : 23rd March 2021 at 15:26.
nasirkaka is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 15:23   #2710
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adwaith View Post
I like most of the new colours. Not a fan of the Ventura Blue and Downtown Drag.

P.S.: @AtheK, the linkis broken. It has the title before the URL.

He He and Downtown Drag caught my fancy :P

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-downtown.png

Ah, unfortunately can't edit it now, would request mods to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvus corax View Post
I for one would really love an Interceptor in red colour. But from the picture it doesn't look too different from an orange crush? Maybe in real life it would look better.
And I agree with others. For a two year old flagship bike REs updates are just dismal. Have been waiting for an alloy wheel upgrade like ever since.
You can see the color here, looks maroonish + red, the GT in red looks smashing with those race stripes.

AtheK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 15:51   #2711
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post

Yes, Alloys is something which a lot of us have been waiting for. It would have been a good addition for those looking for the comfort and cushion of running a tubeless setup from DIY type puncture repair point of view.
The alloys were "coming soon" on RE's configurator for 650 twins for at least a month. Now that is gone. It is baffling. Did they pull the plug on it at last moment, we will never know. That would have been meaningful change. Fully agree on Tripper not being part of the package, isn't a big deal at all.
amol4184 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 16:03   #2712
BANNED

Alloys + tubeless tyre setup is more of a need than a feature for any manufacturer in the 21st century.

When RE keeps boasting of 'go anywhere etc, giving 'Tripper Navigation', how can they forget not all riders are mechanics/skilled to repair a tube-type puncture a be it in city traffic or highway or any desolate location.

It is more of a peace of mind factor than anything. Looks are damned but that fear of facing a tyre puncture is far more on a highway trip than anything else. Kills the time and enthusiasm. I am not sure how many BHPians agree with my thought but the introduction of alloys + tubeless tyres will be the best addition to any colour or navigation feature.

Was expecting alloys in this update since it was "coming soon" on the MiY App.
a4anurag is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 16:15   #2713
Senior - BHPian

2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 twins TVC

Venkatesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 16:17   #2714
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adwaith View Post
Hi there! Welcome aboard.

Is the seat better than the previous one, in terms of comfort?
Hey!
I am yet to see the new touring seat in real. But just by the looks of it on the MiY app, it seems to be a little bulkier than the previous version.
Also it does cost less than the earlier touring seat and RE claims to have used some '3D net technology' which they say helps to distribute weight evenly for long distance comfort.
meetbhav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 18:47   #2715
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The bike has completed 2 years in the market and the first year buyers are looking for new tyres.

GOI should remove the import ban. When applying safety norms like ABS they are smart enough to include 125cc rule (<125 can have combo braking system or something) Why such blanket cover for tyres? Tyre sizes manufactured in India can't be imported! What about speed rating? What about tyre compound?

The same situation may be with big bikes having 18" & 19" wheels (Scramblers & Bonnies). 390 Adventure will face the same situation soon!

/surjaonwheelz
I remember predicting a long time back, that owners of the 650 twins might have a tough time getting replacement tires for their bikes. The 650 twins comes with the same tire sizes as that of the Continental GT 535, and we have struggled for years to get the right sized replacements for our 535s. Pirelli hasnt expanded its footprint here after the launch of the 650 twins and the Indian giants, MRF and Ceat have been very slow off the blocks. The solution that we resorted to is to go with 120 / 80s instead of the 130 / 70s. With our lower displacement and lower power output, it didnt make too much of a difference, I dont know if it will be a good choice with the 650 twins though.

The tire ban is ridiculous. The good news is that after months of struggling, now fresh imports are expected to come in next week (Road 5s that too) so maybe the tide is turning.
neil.jericho is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks