Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2019, 23:30   #1291
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

I stopped by the Royal Enfield company store near Edapally in Cochin today to test ride the GT 650. For those in Cochin, please do note that the showroom has moved from the old location that was near the Hyundai showroom and opposite the Jawa and Ford showroom. It is now next to Oberon mall on the ground floor. The showroom is very nicely done up as always and the staff were very pleasant to deal with.

The test ride route is a short 1.5 km loop that consists of 2 u-turns and doesnt do justice for a bike like the GT 650. In the current location, the showroom is sandwiched by the two of the three worst junctions in terms of traffic in Cochin. Edapally is on their right and the Bypass junction is on their left. In the earlier location, they didnt have any constraints on the test rides. They used to hand you the keys with a smile and ask you to come back in around half an hour.

As for the GT 650 itself, the gearbox was a bit clunky and the front brake could have done with some more feel. But the star is that engine which is a real gem. I am sure there is a lot more performance to be unlocked once the right tuners in India get to it. Everything about the GT 650 is just right - comfortable riding position (the supposedly aggressive riding is anything but!), lovely performance, affordable services, enough colour combinations to confuse you and a price that makes it look like a steal deal. If only I didnt have the GT 535 in my garage!

A word of appreciation on the sales aspect of the whole showroom visit. In the last couple of months, I had dropped into the TVS and KTM showrooms in Cochin to check out a couple of bikes. Neither showroom had the corresponding test ride bikes and both places werent too keen to make a sale when they realized I wasnt making a purchase immediately. I havent received a follow up call from either place to inform me that the test ride bikes had arrived. In comparison, the sales folks in Royal Enfield were well informed, gave me details about what colours were in stock, indicative waiting periods for other colours, confessed that they didnt have any information on the BS6 models etc. Ive asked for a longer test ride in the coming weeks and the brand champion for the 650 twins has promised to get the bike to my place for it.

Overall rating - Two thumbs up.
neil.jericho is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th October 2019, 11:49   #1292
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Hi....I was searching for the same info...so wondering if you had any success with the handlebar dimensions or geometry...I was thinking the RD350 handlebar would be more comfortable...check out STG Tracker, Argentina..they have used something similar to RD350 style handlebar & looks awesome & also kinda more ergonomic....

I used to love riding my Rx100 with the RD350 handlebars.....
Yep, the Art of Motorcycle Handlebar is based on the RDs Handlebar but made for interceptor with locator holes for the switch cluster. I have a AOM handlebar lying at home which u can install it on your bike and ride it for a few days and see if it makes sense for you. i used it for a few days and found it to be much upright and bit wider compared to stock handlebar. Liked it, but later i got a 2" two pivot point riser which i am using with the OEM bar. This gives me slightly more upright posture. Ideally i would like to use the AOM bars along with 2" risers but the stock cables will not allow. Will try and look for alternate longer cables and give it a shot, as with 2" riser also, i find the riding posture sporty.
nasirkaka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2019, 13:36   #1293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Yep, the Art of Motorcycle Handlebar is based on the RDs Handlebar but made for interceptor with locator holes for the switch cluster. I have a AOM handlebar lying at home which u can install it on your bike and ride it for a few days and see if it makes sense for you. i used it for a few days and found it to be much upright and bit wider compared to stock handlebar. Liked it, but later i got a 2" two pivot point riser which i am using with the OEM bar. This gives me slightly more upright posture. Ideally i would like to use the AOM bars along with 2" risers but the stock cables will not allow. Will try and look for alternate longer cables and give it a shot, as with 2" riser also, i find the riding posture sporty.
Did the stock cables suffice with the 2 inch risers?

BTW made this seat modification at Pawar Seats at Nana Peth. Softer than I thought but provides good support to the lower back. Did a 150 km ride and was good enough. No back pain.

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20191012_084653.jpg
kaustubh_vaze is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th October 2019, 16:28   #1294
BHPian

Any good backrests which is practical yet isn't too difficult for the pillion to get in?
Old 15th October 2019, 17:12   #1295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Did the stock cables suffice with the 2 inch risers?
Stock cables were just about ok for the 2 inch risers. No issues there. Anything more will be difficult unless we try and re-route the cables.

I am looking at alternatives for longer cables. Any pointers in that direction would be very helpful. Handlebar position is the only major grouch i have with interceptor, other being the foot peg position which i can live with.
nasirkaka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2019, 14:58   #1296
BHPian

Quote:
Stock cables were just about ok for the 2 inch risers. No issues there. Anything more will be difficult unless we try and re-route the cables.

I am looking at alternatives for longer cables. Any pointers in that direction would be very helpful. Handlebar position is the only major grouch i have with interceptor, other being the foot peg position which i can live with.

Thanks!!
1 more question for the 2 pivot risers - what specification bolts did you use? Length?

I am looking for alternatives for cables as well. Will update here if I find any.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resfeber View Post
Any good backrests which is practical yet isn't too difficult for the pillion to get in?
Check the ones offered by Zana! They seem to be good. Mounted on the stock pillion grab handle.

Last edited by kaustubh_vaze : 16th October 2019 at 15:00. Reason: Back to back msgs.
Old 16th October 2019, 15:38   #1297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1 more question for the 2 pivot risers - what specification bolts did you use? Length?
The bolts that came with the riser. Its a 2 pivot point, and the design differs from a single tube type riser. Sharing a pic, hope this should give some clarity.
Attached Thumbnails
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20190810_152217.jpg  

nasirkaka is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2019, 20:30   #1298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The bolts that came with the riser. Its a 2 pivot point, and the design differs from a single tube type riser. Sharing a pic, hope this should give some clarity.

Hi Nasir. Can you please share the reference (where you got it from) for the ya flevar riser? I have Street Twin and will love 1 inch rise in the handlebar. The Rox ones are:

1. Really expensive in India
2. Give 2 inch rise, and that means it need wiring replacement!

I am looking for a relatively inpensive solution for my Twin. Suggestions are welcome bro.
Old 18th October 2019, 17:25   #1299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
Hi Nasir. Can you please share the reference (where you got it from) for the ya flevar riser? I have Street Twin and will love 1 inch rise in the handlebar. The Rox ones are:

I am looking for a relatively inpensive solution for my Twin. Suggestions are welcome bro.
You can buy them on Amazon. Here's a link - https://www.amazon.in/Generic-Handle...NRZANQM2E3H4M9
Old 18th October 2019, 19:19   #1300
BANNED

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaustubh_vaze View Post
You can buy them on Amazon. Here's a link - https://www.amazon.in/Generic-Handle...NRZANQM2E3H4M9
Common sense dictates that the bar going into the holders should be grooved.

Do you guys see any grooves?

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-51fbdh2tkhl._ac_sl1500_.jpg

I don't.

The ideal way to raise the handlebar is to get a different handlebar, and that too an OEM one at it even if it's from a different motorcycle. If safety norms were to be taken seriously and enforced then such accessories whould not have seen the light of day.

Regards,
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th October 2019, 12:23   #1301
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Common sense dictates that the bar going into the holders should be grooved.

Do you guys see any grooves?

Attachment 1924293

I don't.

The ideal way to raise the handlebar is to get a different handlebar, and that too an OEM one at it even if it's from a different motorcycle. If safety norms were to be taken seriously and enforced then such accessories whould not have seen the light of day.

Regards,

A.P.

I think you may have mistaken the spirit of the question. Rox risers (..and a few others), and not replica cheap copies, are consider more ergonomic that the OEM ones, and are of even better quality too.

My concern is not of the risers, it is the need to apparently get new cables because the OEM ones won't extend (for even an inch!) - this is something I find difficult to gobble.

PS: we can take the conversation on a different thread in case the group feels it's going off topic. But, I do think with so many #metoo, youtubers posting random stuff on YouTube, we should discuss this common interest topic.
Abhi_Automobile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2019, 10:16   #1302
BHPian

Ok folks, i have a bias towards OEM products, but with the interceptor the handle bar height is one thing that i had to address immediately on delivery.
However i was very clear that i will not change the handle bar as somehow that adds to the overall experience of the classic design.
This is what i am using for the last 800 odd kms on terrible patna roads https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B07...ustomerReviews
its a little more comfortable, doesnt alter the looks of the bike and we dont really need to work on the wiring.
Most importantly, i was watching the guy install this and came away sufficiently satisfied that it is a very simple job that may not result in unwanted complications later.

Last edited by nairanupg : 20th October 2019 at 10:20.
Old 20th October 2019, 10:38   #1303
BANNED

Quote:
I think you may have mistaken the spirit of the question. Rox risers (..and a few others), and not replica cheap copies, are consider more ergonomic that the OEM ones, and are of even better quality too.
Rox risers are definitely top notch when it comes to material quality, but do take a moment to consider what material goes into what, on stock setup you have a knurled Steel bar being grabbed by Aluminium holders and it's as such for a reason, a little Googling would set the logic straight.

If you also do take the time to go through reviews of even the best in class products(Rox included) you'd come across a few reviews where some users have faced concerns relating to the handlebar moving under torsion, and do remember this was when ridden on International highways, so their use on Indian roads is simply out of the question.

But as you've said that's content for a different thread.

Quote:
My concern is not of the risers, it is the need to apparently get new cables because the OEM ones won't extend (for even an inch!) - this is something I find difficult to gobble.
The cables on any motorcycle for that matter is router through harnesses provided in the chassis.

If you take the time to take the fuel tank off and reroute the cables then you'd be able to get some extra clearance, might look messy but improves cable life.

Hope that helps.
ashwinprakas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2019, 11:46   #1304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have Street Twin and will love 1 inch rise in the handlebar. The Rox ones are:

Hi Abhi,

Have a look at the following link:

https://www.triumphrat.net/water-coo...y-ideas-2.html

You might get your answers there, and can adapt them with a locally available "good quality" parts.

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
Old 20th October 2019, 12:52   #1305
BHPian

Guys,

Quick question. Do you guys know if the interceptor's top yoke will be a direct fit on the GT535? If possible, thinking of getting the Interceptor handlebar set up on my GT instead of the current set up I did using the Himalayan handlebar after drilling hole on the yoke.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
R-Six

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks