Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2019, 12:24   #541
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoom View Post
Long test ride update - Interceptor 650
Rode the Interceptor for about 240kms on Sunday and here are my impressions:
1. Ergonomics are pretty good. I reiterate, no issues with the pegs while riding or with the feet down. No, my feet's not gonna run over by other automobiles!
Nice - balanced views

I think the emerging consensus is that taller riders don't have a problem with the footpegs. I am 5'8" and the pegs were horrible for my calves, even after 3 separate test rides over the past couple of months. I really hope RE can do something about this issue. The only other major issue are the tube tyres. Everything else is relatively minor and one can live with.
roy_libran is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th March 2019, 12:37   #542
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Nice - balanced views

I think the emerging consensus is that taller riders don't have a problem with the footpegs. I am 5'8" and the pegs were horrible for my calves, even after 3 separate test rides over the past couple of months. I really hope RE can do something about this issue. The only other major issue are the tube tyres. Everything else is relatively minor and one can live with.
Thanks!
You should check the peg relocators - I believe even if they are moved by an inch or so, the position should be much better for shorter riders.
The levers may have to be slightly repositioned but this can only be known once pegs are moved and a test ride is taken.

I see an uncomfortable if not worse issue for slightly taller pilions too.
katoom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2019, 17:05   #543
BHPian

Quote:
If I may ask, how did you manage to get such a long test ride?
I'd like to take an INT650 on a long ride for a day, ride it for 250-300 kms before taking delivery of mine. I think that'll clear all my doubts about footpeg position and seat. It has been really confusing to go through forums where some say footpeg is perfectly fine and some say its a pain. Of course people are expressing their own opinions and I'm thankful for that. Also, Royal Brothers has a Continental available for rent but I'd like an Interceptor.

BTW, I have booked a Baker Express on 18th Nov. Delivery was promised by mid of Feb, which passed by without getting so much of a call with updated date of delivery. I have not followed up because I'm confused if I want to take it at all!
Old 5th March 2019, 17:21   #544
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyGunner View Post
If I may ask, how did you manage to get such a long test ride?

BTW, I have booked a Baker Express on 18th Nov. Delivery was promised by mid of Feb, which passed by without getting so much of a call with updated date of delivery. I have not followed up because I'm confused if I want to take it at all!
Well, I can only say that you should try explaining your concern with the folks at the showroom and the need for a long test ride. As others said, this might be an issue with shorter riders.

On hind sight, I would say that the delay is fine. You can be sure of the liking and perhaps, any minor changes if at all (am sure the good folks are listening to the chatter on forums), might get incorporated by RE.
Old 5th March 2019, 21:08   #545
BHPian

Quote:

4. 100kmph @4000 RPM. 110@4500, 120@5000.
I only did a max of 150 in a safe stretch and the bike had some more juice left.
Beyond 110, handlebars give a tingling sensation. But when I switched bike with another friend here, the latter was relatively sober.

5. Cornering at 120 or beyond isn't confidence inspiring at all. Coming from a KTM 390, I wouldn't do this. Forget about scraping pegs at those speeds.
It's either the tires (dimensions & compound) or the suspension setup or both.
Can tour at 120 the whole day without sweat. But I wouldn't hold it beyond that for a long time. The bike doesn't have same composure of 390 at speeds beyond 120 (not that I advice such speeds).

6. Torque spread is wonderful, especially after 3k RPM.
Even in the 6th gear, the bike pulls cleanly speeds above
120!

7. Fuel range display is crap - can't rely on it.
Fuel cap design is flimsy and not easy to operate. Would have preferred a hinged mechanism.

10. Gear box - very good. Not a single false neutral or missed shift.

11. Exhaust has a nice drone at higher speeds. Would not want anything louder for touring.

12. City maneuvering is easy in the sense that you treat it like a big bike and remember the fact!

13. Brakes are great. Brembo pads.

14. Heat management is way better than my 390. Rode about an hour in peak (infamous) Bangalore traffic. Simpler life without liquid cooling!

15. Low speed fuelling is brilliant. Effortless in the city!

I presume am the first one to remove the rear wheel the night before owing to a flat tire
The whole process is very easy and took about 15mins.
Putting it back was a little messy and took about 25mins.
I would strongly suggest a tubeless conversion.

Again, good job RE!
4. Yes. Great touring machine.

5. I totally get this. I too currently own a d390. While the i650 didn't feel unbalanced, it just doesn't give that invincible feeling you get on a Duke.

6. Torque spread is fantastic! Especially given how effortlessly the engine delivers it, and without any vibrations.

7. That fuel gauge is simply ridiculous. Even on my test ride it went from 3 bars to blinking in a matter of 10 pretty stress free minutes.

10. Yes, gearbox does give you a good feel.

11. I absolutely adore that exhaust note. Soft, muffled and has some punch to it.

12. City maneuvering is surprisingly easy given the weight! I'd imagined it would take some convincing to move about, but it didn't!

13. Brake bite was absolutely decent. It has pretty much the same brake setup as a 390 i guess.

14. Compression ratio ftw!

15. Low level ride is really nice.

Tyres: yess! A tubeless conversion absolutely necessary.
ashishk29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2019, 09:07   #546
VEA
BHPian

After going through forums, reviews and test riding personally, I believe the footpeg positioning on the Interceptor is a problem only for those who are between 5’ 7” and 5’ 9” in height. I am 5’ 8” and its very annoying for me. Majority of the shorter or taller riders are able to place thier feet behind, ahead or over and wider of the foot pegs.

For this reason I booked the CGT, but it has its fair share of issues. Most people are concerned about the lean in to the bars, but that turned out to be a non issue for me. Perhaps cycling helps me in this case. But the foot pegs are rearset and slightly on the higher side. This is something I have to get used to as during my 2 test rides in the city, my calf muscles were getting strained due to the extreme folded position of the legs combined with the constant lifting and lowering. You can save the legs by sitting a little towards the middle of the seat (now I understand the logic of that single long seat option) but that will put the weight on your arms.

For those who think that the handlebar swap of the CGT to the one from the Interceptor is the solution, you need to consider moving the footpegs slightly down and forward. Else it is going to be an extremely ackward position that might be more suited for a jet ski than a motorcycle.

Last edited by VEA : 6th March 2019 at 09:14. Reason: spell
VEA is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th March 2019, 13:36   #547
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEA View Post
After going through forums, reviews and test riding personally, I believe the footpeg positioning on the Interceptor is a problem only for those who are between 5’ 7” and 5’ 9” in height. I am 5’ 8” and its very annoying for me. Majority of the shorter or taller riders are able to place thier feet behind, ahead or over and wider of the foot pegs.

For this reason I booked the CGT, but it has its fair share of issues. Most people are concerned about the lean in to the bars, but that turned out to be a non issue for me. Perhaps cycling helps me in this case. But the foot pegs are rearset and slightly on the higher side. This is something I have to get used to as during my 2 test rides in the city, my calf muscles were getting strained due to the extreme folded position of the legs combined with the constant lifting and lowering. You can save the legs by sitting a little towards the middle of the seat (now I understand the logic of that single long seat option) but that will put the weight on your arms.

For those who think that the handlebar swap of the CGT to the one from the Interceptor is the solution, you need to consider moving the footpegs slightly down and forward. Else it is going to be an extremely ackward position that might be more suited for a jet ski than a motorcycle.
I am exactly in your bucket! I booked an INT on the day of launch and decided not to proceed when the bike arrived because I couldn't get myself to be comfortable with the peg positioning. I've requested a dealer to arrange a test ride for me with INT's handlebar on an CGT 650. He was very reluctant but said he will try - I told him that if the riding position was ok, I'd book a CGT immediately without any finance. I don't think moving the pegs and levers will be easy at all, so this is the only possible fix I am counting on. I hope it doesn't feel too cramped. Will keep the forum posted.
HandfulOfHell is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2019, 14:33   #548
BHPian

https://m.facebook.com/questions.php...14943362574475

I have created the above poll in Facebook to get a grip on reoccurring issues.
The count of faulty 650 twins is piling up everyday.
This is REs last shot at making something fuss free .
The most disturbing of all is the engine stalling for several owners.
This is a major concern.
ARAY is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2019, 19:03   #549
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARAY View Post
https://m.facebook.com/questions.php...14943362574475

I have created the above poll in Facebook to get a grip on reoccurring issues.
The count of faulty 650 twins is piling up everyday.
This is REs last shot at making something fuss free .
The most disturbing of all is the engine stalling for several owners.
This is a major concern.
Can you please list the issues here as well? I'm not on Facebook so i can't view it

What surprises me is, the 650 is heavier than both the 390 and the n300, and yet has a much shorter braking distance!Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img20190307wa0016.jpg

Last edited by moralfibre : 8th March 2019 at 08:39. Reason: Back to back posts.
ashishk29 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2019, 10:17   #550
BHPian

Someone has already done some touring mods for Int 650!

joeblack is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th March 2019, 14:15   #551
BHPian

Hello everyone... I have recently taken delivery of RE Interceptor and need to understand engine break in procedure.
I have already completed 600 kms approx. I kept the speeds as given in table attached and consequently the RPM was below 4000.
Now, above 500 or 800 kms, RE says RPM should not be more than 6000 whereas when i increase the speeds as per table above 500 km mark, even then in all the gears RPM is below 4000. It never crosses 4000 mark.
So, if i follow the RE table, it means for first 2000 kms, my RPM will always be below 4000. Yes, in all the gears, if i increase speeds higher to whats mentioned in RE table, my RPM's will increase - but then RE doesn't recommend those SPEEDS.
I believe, one should do runin in between 4000 to 6000 RPM's as well in between 800 to 2000 Kms.
Where am i wrong? What i am not able to figure out?
Attached Thumbnails
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-re-runin.jpg  

Devrishi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2019, 15:26   #552
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devrishi View Post
Hello everyone... I have recently taken delivery of RE Interceptor and need to understand engine break in procedure.
I have already completed 600 kms approx. I kept the speeds as given in table attached and consequently the RPM was below 4000.
Now, above 500 or 800 kms, RE says RPM should not be more than 6000 whereas when i increase the speeds as per table above 500 km mark, even then in all the gears RPM is below 4000. It never crosses 4000 mark.
So, if i follow the RE table, it means for first 2000 kms, my RPM will always be below 4000. Yes, in all the gears, if i increase speeds higher to whats mentioned in RE table, my RPM's will increase - but then RE doesn't recommend those SPEEDS.
I believe, one should do runin in between 4000 to 6000 RPM's as well in between 800 to 2000 Kms.
Where am i wrong? What i am not able to figure out?
These are guidelines only and you are good as long as there are no sustained speeds. I prefer looking at the RPM during running in and not speed.
With Interceptor, 100-120kmph is between 4-5K RPM. Play around with this range It also helps if you crack open the throttle once in a while! Cheers.
Old 9th March 2019, 09:27   #553
BHPian

It looks like the engine break-in RPMs recommended are identical to my Z900's. Regardless, I tend to consider most modern motorcycles broken-in after their first (1000 km) service.
Old 12th March 2019, 00:02   #554
Senior - BHPian

This was shared on the Int 650 Whatsapp group. Some service Centers are filling up 3.5L of oil during the first service! Is this is a mistake or are they simply overcharging?

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-bill2.jpg
Old 12th March 2019, 01:11   #555
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
This was shared on the Int 650 Whatsapp group. Some service Centers are filling up 3.5L of oil during the first service! Is this is a mistake or are they simply overcharging?
Engine oil required is 3.1 litres for service refill and 3.9 litres from dry.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks