Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2019, 12:01   #436
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Hi Neil,
In all the 18 days of my ownership with the Twin here are a few of my observations
Wow! Congrats!

So you finally did the deed. Couldn't hold back those wolves inside am sure.

Lovely colour as well. Though, if I ever sign up for this, it will be the baker express. I guess I could get a bit older before I graduate to bikes like these all over again
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2019, 12:12   #437
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Wow! Congrats!

So you finally did the deed. Couldn't hold back those wolves inside am sure.

Lovely colour as well. Though, if I ever sign up for this, it will be the baker express. I guess I could get a bit older before I graduate to bikes like these all over again
Thanks Ramana, sort of yes. A really long good test ride settled the deal for me. But I think it can be a decent all rounder and possibly the only thing that i miss is the soft suspension and the travel of the Himalayan.
Suzuki VStrom 650 was a real good contender but felt I could make the monies work better for my family than serving me alone. Infact I did take a small spin on the V Strom, possibly 3 years from now?

Haha Sure...should catch up over a ride one of these days. She has done around 1200 kms and waiting for the full run in before I can make full use of the engine.

Baker Express was actually my wife's choice but the AIADMK colors won it for me in the last
ku69rd is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th February 2019, 17:21   #438
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Neil,
In all the 18 days of my ownership with the Twin here are a few of my observations
Woha Mahesh!!

Congratulations. Hope it turns out to be long and nice relation and the Black&Red turns out to be a keeper like the RD 350.

Now I have a reference point before I take my leap of faith

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2019, 17:34   #439
Senior - BHPian

Hello Ram Sir,
So far it has been good, there are a few adjustments that I would prefer to do on the bike. Have increased the payload on the rear suspension by a notch and I can see some pretty good improvement in the handling. It does not bottom out like before.

Handling is spot on, comfortable to take those deep corners without fuss; stand and ride with a slight hunch is again fine. Overall I would say if the RD had matured into a four stroker it might resemble this bike more. Mid range is just fine, torque kicks in at an early 2K and stretchs all the way to a little above 5K RPM means you are doing 120 without breaking a sweat.

Now that there is a twin, we must catch up over breakfast.

This weekend am held up but how about the last weekend of Feb?
Old 18th February 2019, 17:53   #440
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Overall I would say if the RD had matured into a four stroker it might resemble this bike more.
You've put words to my thoughts on this

There's an uncanny resemblence to both my lovelies - RD and Bonnie, thats why I am struggling to stay away - but you know my reasons.

I am happy that your take on the bike generally agree on my comments on the bike after the test ride

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
Old 18th February 2019, 18:04   #441
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
You've put words to my thoughts on this

There's an uncanny resemblence to both my lovelies - RD and Bonnie, thats why I am struggling to stay away - but you know my reasons.

I am happy that your take on the bike generally agree on my comments on the bike after the test ride

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
Well Ram Sir, this is a poor man's Bonnie if I have to cheekily put it up. Mr Lal might not be actually happy with that statement but lets agree to a few things. Bonnie is technically quite well ahead electronically and ride is much better compared to the twins.
Realistically I can state that it does 70% to 80% what a Bonnie does at just 1/3rd of a cost of the Bonnie.

The only plus point that i see is its Big GC at 174 MM when compared to Bonnie and yes spares will be cheaper both in terms of price & quality?

Longevity of the product is something that needs to be tested.
ku69rd is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th February 2019, 20:32   #442
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Neil,
Congratulations! Reading your post certainly did put a big smile on my face, the colour combination you have selected is also quite unique. You are the first person I know of who has taken delivery in this colour combination. Even on different whatsapp groups, its raining Interceptors (mostly orange though) and feedback from riders has been overwhelmingly positive.

The only one point I saw crop up in the discussions over the last few days, is a slight flightiness / wobbliness / vibrations in the handlebar if it is let go at a decent speed. I havent tried this myself so I dont know one way or the other. But initial analysis by some fellow riders seems to indicate that the tires might be the culprit. That said, given the sizing, Im not sure what else you can move to at a reasonable price point. The lack of good tires in the same size plagues Royal Enfield GT 535 owners as well.

P.S - are your mirrors stock or did you swap them?

Quote:
Realistically I can state that it does 70% to 80% what a Bonnie does at just 1/3rd of a cost of the Bonnie.
I have heard many seasoned riders say the same thing as a compliment to the Royal Enfield twins. It certainly is high praise indeed!
neil.jericho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2019, 21:31   #443
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandfulOfHell View Post
Some more love coming Interceptor's way. But this one's different because the paeans are in relation to the bike's capabilities with respect to a few big boys too, daytona, zx14r, ahem, monkey on steroids or not...

http://fastbikesindia.com/long-term-...eptor-650/amp/
Extreme hyperbole. Forget zx14R, the interceptor is slower than the duke390 in a drag race. The Duke 390 is very slow when compared to a medium twin like a versys 650, which feels very slow when compared to a zx14R. Do imagine how the interceptor feels in front of the 14R?
Old 19th February 2019, 12:29   #444
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Completely agree. My short one year affair with the Bonnie 865 A3 came to an end with a crash. In hind sight, ABS could have made a difference(?). After the interceptor test ride, first thought that came was how close this bike is to the bonnie. The GC and ABS is definitely a big plus, but as you said, in terms of design, detailing, refinement, etc triumph is way ahead. Is that a deal breaker? Not really. My friend Sumanth Kamath (who is also a team bhp member by the name stormsearcher) rides a bonnie and a RD 350. Ram sir may know him too. After the last bonnie service which costed him some 14K, he is decided to put it up for sale and has booked a baker express.He did like the interceptor too at test ride and shared the thought that it is very bonnie like. Its a different story that selling a bonnie will be difficult with the RE twins around. Same case with me. I have booked a baker express too and may have to defer the delivery if it pops up anytime soon. Can only take delivery after my versys is sold. Hope the interceptor proves that taking these big decisions were right. Guess time will tell.
nasirkaka is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th February 2019, 15:01   #445
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Congratulations!

I havent tried this myself so I dont know one way or the other. But initial analysis by some fellow riders seems to indicate that the tires might be the culprit.

P.S - are your mirrors stock or did you swap them?
Thank you Neil.

Have not tried it to be honest will do so when i take her out next time.

No the Mirrors are stock, did see the touring mirrors but not was quite impressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Guess time will tell.
Wow are you sure of selling your Versys for this? What is your thought process behind it?

Agree to your thoughts on the Bonnie.

Guess Baker Express, have seen only one getting delivered @ HSR Services, not sure of other dealers.

Last edited by ku69rd : 19th February 2019 at 15:19.
Old 19th February 2019, 16:08   #446
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guess Baker Express, have seen only one getting delivered @ HSR Services, not sure of other dealers.
Baker Express colour deliveries have finally commenced, and the Company outlet in Chennai has delivered at least 4 bikes over the last week. So I am finally getting excited about mine and started counting the pennies again to make sure the finances are in place when my dealer gives me that call
aravind.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2019, 17:40   #447
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
She has done around 1200 kms and waiting for the full run in before I can make full use of the engine.
Mahesh mate congratulations on buying Interceptor 650. A big for the choice of color you went for.

I had asked this question on this very thread to an owner but didn't receive any response. I wanted to confirm about the twin 650's Flat Torque Curve. I haven't rode it so far so couldn't test it hence asking you.

Could you tell me if the bike doesn't jerk while rolling on higher gears at slower speeds, I am not talking about lugging but actual torque spread that helps the bike roll without any hiccups at higher gears at slower speeds. Your experience and inputs would be highly appreciated.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2019, 17:45   #448
BHPian

Have the GT650 again for a few days. Riding in the winter rain for the past couple of days. The tyres do really well in wet conditions. However, on broken roads that have loose gravel around potholes the tyres don't enthuse confidence. Safe touring on an interceptor, especially in the mountains, might require a change of rubbers. What's the experience of 650 owners who might've done some touring on non-highway roads?
Old 19th February 2019, 18:08   #449
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by param22k View Post
Have the GT650 again for a few days. Riding in the winter rain for the past couple of days. The tyres do really well in wet conditions. However, on broken roads that have loose gravel around potholes the tyres don't enthuse confidence. Safe touring on an interceptor, especially in the mountains, might require a change of rubbers. What's the experience of 650 owners who might've done some touring on non-highway roads?
Did notice the skittish feeling from the tyres especially over the painted lane marking on the roads. So I tested this on purpose during my recent highway ride on my CBR. At speed, and over these lane markings, my bike feels equally as skittish, which was a surprise to me as the MRF Masseter tyres have been really impressive in most other conditions and I wasn't expecting this behaviour from those tyres at all.

But the biggest worry for upgrading to better rubber on the Enfield twins is that there are no options for that 18 inch rim!
aravind.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2019, 22:30   #450
BHPian

Hi 22ji. I too faced the same confidence shaking skidiness whilst going through slush created by the incessant rains in Ludhiana. I really dont have experience of riding and cannot comment/compare vis a vis other bikes, but I remember my yamaha Rx100 handling the same way too . Anyways, the handling on tarmac is not much of a bother for the twins. I do feel sluggish gear shifts, or it may be just my bike. Will have to check with the service station once i visit for the first service.
Quote:
Originally Posted by param22k View Post
isldhn is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks