Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2019, 12:57   #556
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishk29 View Post
Can you please list the issues here as well? I'm not on Facebook so i can't view it

What surprises me is, the 650 is heavier than both the 390 and the n300, and yet has a much shorter braking distance!
The Media and Fake News!! Yes for an RE the braking is spot on, better than anything I have seen before from an RE, but No way the twins stops better than the 390! I have ridden the 390 and the brakes on that bike are much much better. Saying that the twins have better brakes is a bit too much to digest! I honestly feel that media has overhyped the twins a little too much. Yes, the bike is fantastic, rides well, when the engine fire up it sounds like the drums are beating - music to the ears but yet there are flaws which could have been easily fixed during production or testing which RE didn't bother about.
For example, the passenger foot pegs, Its freaking nightmare to sit as a pillion on this bike, then you have the oddly placed foot pegs I mean how could anyone sit behind this bike? And yes anyone sitting on this bike will surely spoil their shoes thanks to the large super HOT exhausts! let's not forget the scratches/marks to the exhaust (caused by the pillion riders shoes/heels?). And the fuel gauge is another joke, has a mind of its own. God knows what reading its displaying but surely this isn't accurate at all.
There are also multiple reports of some bikes shutting down abruptly (similar to the early batches of TDCI figos shutting down)
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ware-ford.html (Figo TDCi: Dies occasionally while downshifting! Solved: Updated firmware by Ford)

Thankfully my bike isn't one of them!
And then we have the RE Fanatics who want to cover up everything and portray this bike as the perfect bike for everyone! Even when their bike breaks down they don't admit it.

The RE Fanatics be like - When a RE Leaks oil its marking its territory!!! But when a Honda or Yamaha leaks oil its a big problem!
Captain Slow is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 12th March 2019, 16:59   #557
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
The RE Fanatics be like - When a RE Leaks oil its marking its territory!!! But when a Honda or Yamaha leaks oil its a big problem!

This is so true that it hurts a bit.

Though knowing both parties really well I'd say the Jap tribe is also to blame, I personally know of two distinct cases where the owners were contemplating a rebuild for their motorcycles due to a minor drop(one was about 50ml the other I do not recall but was definitely below 100ml) on draining.

For perspective on a rudimentary Indian you'd be shocked if the drain quantity is almost as much as the refill quantity.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2019, 21:42   #558
BHPian

It's been more than a month since I booked the Ravishing Red Interceptor. Over the past couple of weeks I've been hearing of some issues cropping up on the twins that I'm not sure if booking the Interceptor was the right thing to do.

After selling my Street 750, I was looking for a motorcycle that would safely take me on my long solo rides without me having to constantly worry if anything would go wrong or of any mechanical failures. The Baron was a great bike except for its low ground clearance and bad brakes. I never had any breakdowns or mechanical failures in its 4 years of ownership and I was looking at an equally competent bike with better ground clearance and good brakes. I chose the RE Twins since it fitted within my budget of owning a parallel twin at half the cost of its international counterparts.

Things I’ve read up are not very encouraging and makes me wonder if I should buy another bike instead.

Some major issues that I've come across on various forums:

1. Engine stalling abruptly during rides.
2. Electricals malfunctioning after a wash.
3. Not sure if anyone's heard of this but there was a youtube post on a Continental GT owner complaining that his bike doesn't start if a magnetic tank bag is placed on the tank.
4. Fuel gauge malfunctioning – not a deal breaker.
Snehal Sekhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2019, 09:43   #559
BHPian

I have heard about fuel gauge problem, rest all are news to me.

Possible to share links of the forums you found these issues?

Edited: Found one link, may be useful https://auto.ndtv.com/news/13-royal-...ll-you-1994314

Found some explanation about Magnetic tank bag and its issue for GT/Int

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snehal Sekhar View Post
It's been more than a month since I booked the Ravishing Red Interceptor. Over the past couple of weeks I've been hearing of some issues cropping up on the twins that I'm not sure if booking the Interceptor was the right thing to do.

After selling my Street 750, I was looking for a motorcycle that would safely take me on my long solo rides without me having to constantly worry if anything would go wrong or of any mechanical failures. The Baron was a great bike except for its low ground clearance and bad brakes. I never had any breakdowns or mechanical failures in its 4 years of ownership and I was looking at an equally competent bike with better ground clearance and good brakes. I chose the RE Twins since it fitted within my budget of owning a parallel twin at half the cost of its international counterparts.

Things I’ve read up are not very encouraging and makes me wonder if I should buy another bike instead.

Some major issues that I've come across on various forums:

1. Engine stalling abruptly during rides.
2. Electricals malfunctioning after a wash.
3. Not sure if anyone's heard of this but there was a Youtube post on a Continental GT owner complaining that his bike doesn't start if a magnetic tank bag is placed on the tank.
4. Fuel gauge malfunctioning – not a deal breaker.

Last edited by joeblack : 13th March 2019 at 10:10.
joeblack is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2019, 13:50   #560
BHPian

This is the only video that actually reports and talks about this magnetic tank bag issue.
I did not find any other sources.
I also did not find any sources for the other issues i.e.stalling etc.

The fuel tank issue is REAL.
Even when I took a test ride, it went from 4 bars to blinking in a matter of 15-20 minutes!

Wasn't too happy with the mirrors or the tubed tyres either.

But hey, that engine is just silk smooth!
ashishk29 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th March 2019, 12:17   #561
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

The 650 twins costs 3L on the road, which is less then half the cost of the next nearest 650 twin. For RE to achieve that, its commendable, and would obviously mean some cost cutting/value engineering measures. and RE is not exactly known for cost effective products prior to these twins. Infact, most of their earlier offerings have been highly overpriced for the quality & tolerance of cycle parts. I have come across reviews and vlogs where its been compared to much expensive and superior jap and European offerings and cribbed about for fit, finish, rust etc. Thats a bit harsh. RE has come a long way in last 10 years to make an engine like the 650 twins and that sweet gear box. The other critical parts so far seem to hold good such as chassis, brakes, rims, etc. With new launch, teething issues are common be it RE or Triumph Or Ducati or BMW. All a part of product refinement as long as they accept and improvise. Stuff like footpeg placement etc could also be dues to systems designs where on a complex product like a motorcycle, one constantly had to debate and priorities. Hoping RE takes all these real-time user feedback on fit, finish, ergonomics, issues like erratic fuel sensor, stalling (if at all) and works on them. For all the cynics, its best to wait for a year or two, when the product matures in market and take a call.
nasirkaka is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 15th March 2019, 22:33   #562
BHPian

Is anyone using riser for Interceptor?

Will it be good to use 1.5" / 2" riser?

I need your expert advice.
Old 16th March 2019, 00:20   #563
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
The 650 twins costs 3L on the road, which is less then half the cost of the next nearest 650 twin. For RE to achieve that, its commendable, and would obviously mean some cost cutting/value engineering measures. and RE is not exactly known for cost effective products prior to these twins. Infact, most of their earlier offerings have been highly overpriced for the quality & tolerance of cycle parts. I have come across reviews and vlogs where its been compared to much expensive and superior jap and European offerings and cribbed about for fit, finish, rust etc. Thats a bit harsh. RE has come a long way in last 10 years to make an engine like the 650 twins and that sweet gear box. The other critical parts so far seem to hold good such as chassis, brakes, rims, etc. With new launch, teething issues are common be it RE or Triumph Or Ducati or BMW. All a part of product refinement as long as they accept and improvise. Stuff like footpeg placement etc could also be dues to systems designs where on a complex product like a motorcycle, one constantly had to debate and priorities. Hoping RE takes all these real-time user feedback on fit, finish, ergonomics, issues like erratic fuel sensor, stalling (if at all) and works on them. For all the cynics, its best to wait for a year or two, when the product matures in market and take a call.

Interesting comparison criteria, that.

The ninja 300 is a twin, costs roughly as much as a continental 650, is faster, handles better, is better equipped, is more reliable, and comes from a much more dependable brand.
HyperRetard is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th March 2019, 20:10   #564
Senior - BHPian

So I got a call from RE to inform me that my booking of Nov 15 (Baker Express) will be ready for delivery in the next 10 days.
Steeroid is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th March 2019, 10:41   #565
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
So I got a call from RE to inform me that my booking of Nov 15 (Baker Express) will be ready for delivery in the next 10 days.
On the other hand i called RE to ask about my booking which was done on Nov 23rd, they told me its scheduled on April 23rd...
Old 18th March 2019, 13:36   #566
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
The ninja 300 is a twin, costs roughly as much as a continental 650, is faster, handles better, is better equipped, is more reliable, and comes from a much more dependable brand.
Ninja 300 is high revving track screamer with sporty ergonomics, and the recent Indian ones have cost cutting visible too. Still No-doubt they are very good value for money but so it Duke 390 which costs less then continental 650, is faster, handles better, is better equipped, is more reliable, and comes from a dependable brand.
But motorcycle market is complex else why would kawasaki make a Z900 and RS 900, and triumph make a Bonneville and a street triple? Trend is to identify and create a niche & position a product and retro-classics have been mostly a success story in recent past. That is where emotions overtake decisions. Initial response to RE 650 twins and the Jawa range is a testimony, cost obviously being the other most imp factor. Few years back, the idea of a 650 twin under 4L was inconceivable. Add the retro world charm around it, the classic looks, the twin exhaust, the 270 degrees firing burble from them, the smooth & torquey engine, good gear box, good brakes and decent chassis, generous dash of chrome and a very strong connect with the brand and its history and voila, there is a temptation very difficult to resist. (especially for 30 or 35+ age bracket user profiles).
nasirkaka is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th March 2019, 23:06   #567
BHPian

Got delivery of my Baker Express today. It's a gorgeous looking machine - other than the crazily protruding, fat, ugly exhausts - while the ride is obviously superb.
param22k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2019, 23:33   #568
Senior - BHPian

Got mine 2 days ago. Done a little under 200kms already.
No accessories yet but got the 3M PPF.

Despite 6 test rides, was surprised by the "SUV like" stance. Seat and pegs seem ok for a hour+ ride, including for the pillion. The lights are a pain though, or just badly focused - need to try lowering the headlamp angle and checking.

Delighted with the bike so far. The torque makes it super usable even in town. Even during running in and staying under 3K revs for the most part.

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-20190317-11.36.41.jpg
zenx is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th March 2019, 09:44   #569
Senior - BHPian

Comparision of stock exhaust with some of the aftermarket ones.

My opinion- RRP sounds worst, AEW somehow sounds better. I am yet to find an aftermarket exhaust with a decent note, hence proved the stock exhaust is the best.
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2019, 15:42   #570
Senior - BHPian

Yes, can't agree more on RRP. It looks like a hurried product, and sounds like the end can just fell off. AEW looks really good, a lot like the S&S that RE showed so much of, at with the baffles it sounds 'decent' but still too loud.

Why is it that these after-market exhaust makers don't get the message about subtlety? There would be much more potential for an after market slip-on exhaust that looks like the AEW, and sounds somewhere between the AEW and the stock exhaust. Not something that sounds like a lorry with a broken exhaust. Loud ain't cool, it's just annoying!
aravind.anand is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks