Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2019, 10:02   #1216
BHPian

Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resfeber View Post

Does he make sense? Should we wait for BS6 model.
The new ones may get a few additional features but may also end up being heavier.

Experts are already saying that the BS6 790 Duke will be heavier due to the extra hardware required to make the bike pollute lesser and possibly sound softer.

As for resale value, I don't see why anyone buying a used one would bother whether its BS4 or BS6 because, by that time (3-4 years I assume) series production vehicles will probably have to adhere to BS7 or 8.

So don't get worried by watching these videos. Plenty of people have their own opinions in what to do and what not to do.

Last edited by Jaggu : 26th September 2019 at 17:28. Reason: Removing Youtube link from Quoted text, affects readability especially on mobile browsers. Thanks.
TheParsiStig is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th September 2019, 11:37   #1217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motor_breathing View Post
Me too in similar boat. I am 6ft tall and just 62kg. I had severe apprehension whether I could manage the weight. I was using a classic intermittently earlier which was 185 odd kg and could manage okay. So I thought 202kg would be fine. As many pointed out as long as its upright its fine. A week back I was trying to take a u-turn that was rather sharp and couldn't hold the weight and I had to drop the bike and jump out. With traffic blocked from both end, I was standing in the middle of the road recollecting the Youtube video I saw about how to lift a heavy tilted bike. By then a good Samaritan came and lifted it up and gave me a good piece of advice. "Lanky guys like you should not go for such heavy bikes". I am looking forward for an exhaust and alloy wheel change that can reduce the weight to say 185/190 range.
On the other hand last year i had a fall on top of a flyover and no one helped me, people were staring that's all, i asked one auto driver to help, he seems to be staring the most, but as soon as i asked him he drove off, but luckily i was able to lift the bike myself. On the other hand if it was a girl even modi ji would have appeared out of thin air to help her

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Youtube videos of heavy bike lifting technique hardly work in real life scenario, as there are so many factors at play including terrain, traffic, how the bike fell, embarrassment, anxiety, anger, etc. Usually we do find kind hearted folks to help us in such situation. You want to collect a group of people on a deserted road, just drop you bike and see them appear from thin air. The interceptor is a heavy bike but masks its weight very well. In motion, the weight is hardly felt. Its just while manually moving/pushing the bike around in parking, holding it beyond a certain angle, or straightening it from side stand is when the weight shows up. I doubt if we will be able to push the bike even for a short distance incase of a puncture. But is the weight a deal breaking factor? Not really. It just required a bit of mental learning/unlearning the dynamics. Getting an idea of the handle bar turn travel, Shifting of weight during sharp turns/U turns, reverse parking esp on downward slope, so we can power-out the bike later, and such basics would help overcome the weight issue. Good part is that that CG feels low, so as long as one is comfortable with footing, the weight should not be big deal in day to day riding.
Even i remain extra cautious with my GT while taking a u turn or when parking, because if the surface is uneven i might not be able to push back the bike with my body strength. While riding the weight is not an issue but when i ride my pulsar after GT i can feel the difference in the weight when making sharp cuts. But still weight is nothing as compared to the fun the bike gives
yesyeswe is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2019, 11:49   #1218
BHPian

If anyone is interested in getting a tank pad which doesn't scream for attention, is small in size and gives protection, one can opt for Pulsar tank pad, costs 80₹ only and looks good, well to me it does.
Attached Thumbnails
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img20190926wa0010.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img20190926wa0009.jpg  

yesyeswe is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2019, 12:29   #1219
Senior - BHPian

are there OEM alloys available from RE for the twins yet. Can the T-bird X alloys fit the twins?

POst my 3 year biking hiatus after a horrific crash on my Harley, I am looking to get back into biking and the GT looks appealing (mainly because it is everything the Harley wasn't, and I firmly believe Harleys are not suited for our roads, but that's a rant for another thread), however I will not touch a bike that doesn't wear tubeless tyres.
Old 26th September 2019, 13:11   #1220
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
are there OEM alloys available from RE for the twins yet. Can the T-bird X alloys fit the twins?
OEM alloys are not yet available. Many are waiting for the peace of mind they bring. Tbird Alloys are not direct fit to the 650 twins. Guess you will have to wait a bit, or look towards triumph incase of urgency.
nasirkaka is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th September 2019, 13:32   #1221
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resfeber View Post
Does he make sense? Should we wait for BS6 model.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheParsiStig View Post
The new ones may get a few additional features but may also end up being heavier.

Experts are already saying that the BS6 790 Duke will be heavier due to the extra hardware required to make the bike pollute lesser and possibly sound softer.

As for resale value, I don't see why anyone buying a used one would bother whether its BS4 or BS6 because, by that time (3-4 years I assume) series production vehicles will probably have to adhere to BS7 or 8.

So don't get worried by watching these videos. Plenty of people have their own opinions in what to do and what not to do.

I was in the same dilemma I am yet to take the delivery of the bike. But as TheParsiStig pointed out, the bike will be a bit different than what the current bike is, might not be fuel efficient, a bit heavier & have less power too.
If one waits, the wait will always mean new things coming out in future and making the buying decision more confusing.

As for the equipment, I am sure it can be added from RE. I m already seeing some new twins with clear lens headlamp unit. This can be after the price increase in September.

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 2965
Size:  924.2 KB

Pic Source
amrutmhatre90 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2019, 14:00   #1222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post

POst my 3 year biking hiatus after a horrific crash on my Harley, I am looking to get back into biking and the GT looks appealing (mainly because it is everything the Harley wasn't, and I firmly believe Harleys are not suited for our roads, but that's a rant for another thread), however I will not touch a bike that doesn't wear tubeless tyres.
I think you should wait for the BS6 model, not because of the BS6 but there are some issues with the bike like tyre wobbling, thud sounds from the front suspension and some other as well, i think with the BS6 model all the issues would get sorted and some features like alloys may get added. I have the GT and i am lovin it
yesyeswe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2019, 16:21   #1223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrutmhatre90 View Post

As for the equipment, I am sure it can be added from RE. I m already seeing some new twins with clear lens headlamp unit. This can be after the price increase in September.

Pic Source
Asked the sales rep if mine comes with a clear lens headlamp and he isn't sure.
Old 26th September 2019, 16:30   #1224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyeswe View Post
I think you should wait for the BS6 model, not because of the BS6 but there are some issues with the bike like tyre wobbling, thud sounds from the front suspension and some other as well, i think with the BS6 model all the issues would get sorted and some features like alloys may get added. I have the GT and i am lovin it
In my view, if you are happy with current model, just go for it. If you wait for next model, may be the current issues may vanish, but who knows what new major issues that may crop up ?

My experience (Positive fortunately)
I was in dilemma whether to go for 2018 Dominar or wait for 2019. In Feb 2019, since the UG model was delayed with launch, I thought, since I know, the only known issues are: Vibrations, I should go with 2018 model and purchased 2018 model.

Today, I see many Dominar 2019 owners cribbing about
1. Breakage of Crash guard Bolts,
2. Engine Noise due to piston inside Engine(This is major one)
3. Meter console bug (Not showing 1 if the time is say, 10:00)
4. Rear Shocks leaks
5. Bike dragging towards Left
etc

What I am trying to say is, any Indian Bike, when new version is released, better to wait for 1 year to stabilize and sort out all issues.

Last edited by gkveda : 26th September 2019 at 16:39.
gkveda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2019, 16:37   #1225
Senior - BHPian

We have one life with limited days and each day is very precious. Waiting means wasting those precious days, where we could be riding. And this wait is a never ending process, be is emission norms, face lifts, added features etc. Even if one waits for something better, there is something probably even better after that. Vicious cycle. I was waiting for KTM 390 adventure since 2015. In 2018, when 310GS was launched, KTM made an announcement that the 390 adventure will be out soon, without being specific. I went ahead and got the 310. Its been more then 1 years and still there is no real news on the 390 adventure. Not to mention the 18000kms of fun i have had on the 310 which i would have missed out. Once 390 Adventure is out and tugs at the heart, trade it with the current ride. I know all this frequent buying and selling means incurring some losses, but its not that bad with a bit of time and planning.

When the 650 twins were launched, i knew in my heart that RE will soon launch a scrambler version of the interceptor with all black look, alloys, etc. One part of my wanted to wait as i love scramblers, but i went ahead with the interceptor and been enjoying the bike when i get a chance to ride. Personally, this waiting for the right bike is never worked with me. Get what is available and move on.
nasirkaka is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 27th September 2019, 01:48   #1226
Senior - BHPian

Met a very brave soul last weekend. He was on a shiny GT, stock tyres, stock everything... heading out on a rather gnarly off road trail where I had a bit of a spill too

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 27th September 2019 at 01:55.
Urban_Nomad is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th September 2019, 11:35   #1227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Met a very brave soul last weekend. He was on a shiny GT, stock tyres, stock everything... heading out on a rather gnarly off road trail where I had a bit of a spill too

https://Youtu.be/ZAY-DgIhiBo
Didn't you see he had auxiliary lights on his GT? Those lights make make all the difference man, you fell because you didn't had aux lights
May the force be with you
yesyeswe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2019, 14:28   #1228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyeswe View Post
Didn't you see he had auxiliary lights on his GT? Those lights make make all the difference man, you fell because you didn't had aux lights
May the force be with you
Oh yes!!!! With the weight distribution and the gyroscopi... yessss. Thank you!

And here I was thinking I fell coz I suck. Silly me

Big thanks btw for taking the time to watch the vid. Really appreciate the support
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2019, 14:45   #1229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
We have one life with limited days and each day is very precious. Waiting means wasting those precious days, where we could be riding. And this wait is a never ending process, be is emission norms, face lifts, added features etc. Even if one waits for something better, there is something probably even better after that. Vicious cycle. I was waiting for KTM 390 adventure since 2015. In 2018, when 310GS was launched, KTM made an announcement that the 390 adventure will be out soon, without being specific. I went ahead and got the 310. Its been more then 1 years and still there is no real news on the 390 adventure. Not to mention the 18000kms of fun i have had on the 310 which i would have missed out. Once 390 Adventure is out and tugs at the heart, trade it with the current ride. I know all this frequent buying and selling means incurring some losses, but its not that bad with a bit of time and planning.

When the 650 twins were launched, i knew in my heart that RE will soon launch a scrambler version of the interceptor with all black look, alloys, etc. One part of my wanted to wait as i love scramblers, but i went ahead with the interceptor and been enjoying the bike when i get a chance to ride. Personally, this waiting for the right bike is never worked with me. Get what is available and move on.
I like the twins as they are, esp the Continental GT. my ONLY grouse with them is lack of tubeless tyres. with the kind of speed these bikes are capable of I will never buy one without tubeless tyres. Hence alloys are a must, that too OE alloys (because I know RE is too stingy to offer bmw type spoked rimes that are tubeless compatible). I will but the GT today if OE alloys are available.
Old 27th September 2019, 16:10   #1230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nice video, seems you all must have had great fun. And this is the type of carefree fun is difficult to achieve on a big, heavy and expensive adventure bike. No wonder the world's recent obsession with light weight adv. What are the other bikes in the video? And those foldable mirrors are damn cool.

Quote:
I like the twins as they are, esp the Continental GT. my ONLY grouse with them is lack of tubeless tyres. with the kind of speed these bikes are capable of I will never buy one without tubeless tyres.
Alloys would have been nice but would have deviated from the classic interceptor look. Surely they could offer as an accessory. They do have a provision in their website, so mostly a matter of time before they are available off the shelf. Fingers crossed. Tubeless is no doubt the way to go mainly from ease of puncture fixing point of view. Here is an interesting post by deelip on the subject:

http://deelipmenezes.com/spokes-vs-a...re-motorcycles
nasirkaka is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks