Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2019, 22:43   #1111
BHPian

Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Need help. Just sold my STD 350 today. Looking for an RE with a bit more power and comfort plus safety. I thought the Interceptor fit the bill - from all the reviews that I came across here and on YouTube. Went for a test ride. Boy, I was unimpressed. No doubt it had very nice power delivery and torque. It just didn’t click. Maybe it’s just me.

Should I test drive it a couple more times? Or just book the Bullet 500 now with Abs? Heck, I thought it’d be a fairly straight forward decision after riding the interceptor. Anyone else feeling ‘meh’ like me?
Old 2nd September 2019, 05:22   #1112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishan12 View Post
By roughness, do you mean a kind of buzz?

I do feel it at certain times between 2500 to 3500 rps.

No such buzz below and it disappears when the bike revs higher. I am not sure what is the cause. I suspect it might be because of resonance vibs from some accessory like crash guard or sump guard, but I'm not sure.

Yes.. its a kind of buzz feeling in the footpegs and bars. And it seem to show more if I accelerate slowly. And it happens only at 2500-2600 rpm. Its dead silent on other rpms..
will check the tightness of accessories as i bought only the crash guard and nothing else.
Old 2nd September 2019, 18:32   #1113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirumalkumaran View Post
Yes.. its a kind of buzz feeling in the footpegs and bars. And it seem to show more if I accelerate slowly. And it happens only at 2500-2600 rpm. Its dead silent on other rpms..
will check the tightness of accessories as i bought only the crash guard and nothing else.
I experience exactly the same, haven't bothered yet to find the reason. Do let me also know if you are able to find the reason. Would really help.
Old 3rd September 2019, 10:19   #1114
BHPian

I completed the first service of the Continental GT, and it is noticeably smoother. I had bought the Mr Clean a week back, and I noticed that there were wheel balancing sticker weights on both the tires. I have not noticed any wobble, likely because I have not taken it above 80 kmph.

Is this an attempt by RE to reduce the alleged wobble of the wheels.

666 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2019, 10:21   #1115
BHPian

Quote:
I too am noticing it now that you've mentioned it. The only accessories I have are the Short fly screen and the sump guard.
Old 3rd September 2019, 11:24   #1116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheParsiStig View Post
I too am noticing it now that you've mentioned it. The only accessories I have are the Short fly screen and the sump guard.
I dont have both the accesories you mentioned, but have a large leg guard.
So it might not be due to accesories, or the guys dont know the right torque to tighten the bolts.
If its prevalent on most of them, this needs to be looked upon.
Old 3rd September 2019, 12:39   #1117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Should I test drive it a couple more times? Or just book the Bullet 500 now with Abs? Heck, I thought it’d be a fairly straight forward decision after riding the interceptor. Anyone else feeling ‘meh’ like me?
Don't listen to others, go with your heart. At the end of the day its you who has to live with the bike. Interceptor is a great bike and tremendous value for money, does not mean it has to appeal to everyone. Its a superb engine, gear box, clutch, ample acceleration and torque, but ergonomics are a bit confused. Its Not a city bike, not it is a tourer, its just a retro-classic looking modern bike. As you are coming from and used to riding a long stroke standard 350, the riding character and ergonomics of the interceptor is very very different and that is what would have caught you off-guard. For eg, I was used to riding a Cl 500 when i got the 390duke. For the first few weeks, i did not like the dukes character at all and kept wondering if i made a mistake buying it as this was so very different from classic 500. I guess our current ride matters most in forming an opinion about a new bike we ride. Take a few more test rides, if possible of longer duration and make you call.
nasirkaka is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2019, 13:21   #1118
BHPian

On another note, what is the fuel you guys are using?
Normal, with additives or high octane.

Those who have tried the types, please post your findings, in terms of power, smoothness, mileage etc..
Old 3rd September 2019, 14:32   #1119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigatech2006 View Post
Looking for an RE with a bit more power and comfort plus safety...
Interceptor is ahead of Bullet 500 in terms of handling and thus safety. On paper it's a lot more powerful as well but depending on your riding style it may or may not matter much.
If your test drives were typical of what the dealerships offer which is just couple of kilometers in city traffic conditions, I recommend taking it for longer rides. Like Nasirkaka says regardless of what people say it's you who should be happy with the bike. I used to ride a Classic 500 and I still miss it. It kind of feels the interceptor doesn't have a strong character like the 500 did.

Once I rented a Dominar from Wickedride to see what the bike was like. Despite all the praises on online forums I realised the bike wasn't for me. It was the opposite for Himalayan though. So a long test ride at your own pace and style will definitely help in making a right decision.
Biker Ram is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2019, 15:04   #1120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Ram View Post

Once I rented a Dominar from Wickedride to see what the bike was like. Despite all the praises on online forums I realised the bike wasn't for me. It was the opposite for Himalayan though. So a long test ride at your own pace and style will definitely help in making a right decision.

And, adding to this, the actual price difference between the Bullet 500 and Int 650 is only 70k. Wouldn't make much of a difference if I opt for EMI. The other caveat is that the Bullet 500 is now EFI and I'm unable to come across reviews on the EFI model - the fuel injection reliability and other quirks that come with it. It'd have been a fairly straightforward decision if the Bullet 500 had come only in carb avatar. Too many items in the equation.

Bullet 500 EFI owners - can you pour in your thoughts and help me here please?
Old 3rd September 2019, 15:37   #1121
BHPian

Quote:
On another note, what is the fuel you guys are using?
Normal, with additives or high octane.

Those who have tried the types, please post your findings, in terms of power, smoothness, mileage etc..
Since the day I got it I've been only filling HP Power, which is 91 Octane with some additives. So I highly doubt what were experiencing is related to engine knock. Plus these engines are pretty low compression to justify observing engine knock out of fuel in major cities.

Also, could it just be that we didn't notice this on our test ride and first few weeks of ownership purely because we weren't used to the bikes? Because I'm considering doing another test ride from a different dealership to see if there is a difference.
Old 3rd September 2019, 17:33   #1122

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigatech2006 View Post
And, adding to this, the actual price difference between the Bullet 500 and Int 650 is only 70k. Wouldn't make much of a difference if I opt for EMI. The other caveat is that the Bullet 500 is now EFI and I'm unable to come across reviews on the EFI model - the fuel injection reliability and other quirks that come with it. It'd have been a fairly straightforward decision if the Bullet 500 had come only in carb avatar. Too many items in the equation.

Bullet 500 EFI owners - can you pour in your thoughts and help me here please?
Not sure if this helps but here's my thought.

I rode a CL500(EFI) for 5 years before selling it off in 2017.
In the two years between 2017 to 2019, I depended on renting out bikes. And I rode a lot of different bikes in that time period.

And now I own an Interceptor which is about 70km old. Here's my take based on what I remember of the CL500 experience.

The first thing I noticed is the distinct lack of vibes and sound. What this did to my senses is that, the rate at which the INT650 accelerates and also the speeds it holds is superbly masked. This meant a distinct sense of calm on the INT650 in comparison to the hugely more chatty engine from the CL500 (dont want to call it vibes). The INT seemed far less, well lets say entertaining for the lack of a better word.

But its when you encounter a stretch of open road that it really comes into it own. The acceleration is excellent and the grip levels are good. The handling is sorted too.

So do I still regret this purchase ? Absolutely not! For a not too big difference of 70k you do get far better hardware in terms of chassis, breaks and the power train. To me this is a case of getting my money's worth, which is definitely not what I can say for the CL500.

I don't use my bikes for the city at all. It's only used on the highways. So the INT650 fits the bill perfectly. For pure city use the CL500 gives better better FE, but it really nothing more to offer over the INT650.

Hope this helps!
Vectoraptor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th September 2019, 07:01   #1123
BHPian

Bike refused to start, made the tik tik tik tik sound on pressing the starter. That is normally indicative of low battery voltage, same issue used to plague my classic 500. Called RSA and had it delivered to the workshop because they said it also might be the wiring harness or something else and should be hooked up to the diagnostic tool to be sure.

After checking everything they've submitted the battery under claim for replacement, will take 4-5 days though since it's currently Ganpati season in Mumbai. Hopefully it should be fixed by this Saturday.

Has anyone tested and figured out the discharge / recharge rate of the 650 twins with the halogen headlight always on? It used to be one of the biggest issues on the classic 500 where the bike wouldn't recharge fast enough if the light was on. Contemplating installing the BS3 switch if that's the case.
Old 4th September 2019, 09:05   #1124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adises View Post
Bike refused to start, made the tik tik tik tik sound on pressing the starter. That is normally indicative of low battery voltage.
Contemplating installing the BS3 switch if that's the case.
I am yet to get my hands on INT, but this mod is the first thing in my mind. Have heard from many people battery problems for INT, the engine kill switch doesn't make sense as the halogen is still on and it eats the battery. One has to switch off the ignition key.

Heard this is a very simple mod job using the BS3 switches.
Old 4th September 2019, 09:29   #1125
BHPian

On first service I asked for BS3 switch to be replaced, the advisor said If done at the service center it will void warranty! He recommended that I get it done outside.

I dont know if installing BS3 switch will void warranty.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks