Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2019, 11:31   #991
BHPian

Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
About time other manufacturers mandated it like TVS. Provided your motorcycle comes with a blinker relay you only need to get a buzzer from any local shop for 20~30/- and then connect it to the legs of the relay by removed relay, inserting wires into respective pins and then reconnecting relay.

Thanks for your response. This is exactly how I fixed a blinker in my previous FZS and current Jupiter Scooter. 40rs for the buzzer and 10 mins job. So tried to locate a similar relay in RE650 and I saw something similar with 5 pins under the seat. Tried all possible combinations on this and its not indicator connection as its a continuous beep, tail lamp connection it looks like. That's why I posted the query here thinking someone would have already figured it out
Old 23rd July 2019, 13:05   #992

After 1000+ follow ups and 7 months of waiting, finally got a call from Dealer last Saturday that the interceptor is here. After visiting the showroom and looking at different colors in flesh, changed it from Ravishing Red to Baker Express as couldn't resist the White and Red combo. Status as of now; made the payments, insurance is done; waiting for the registration process to complete.

One learning from the whole episode is that "Dont book the bike at a dealer if you have a RE showroom nearby" - it unnecessarily elongates the waiting period.
lagnajit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2019, 13:16   #993
BHPian

Rode the interceptor finally. After so much hype and praises from whos who, rode the bike for a good amount.

Fit and finish is good, brakes good, engine good. Some issue with the pegs and pedals and odd routed exhaust.

This motorcycle lacks character, it feels like a powerful karisma in a bullet frame with messed up ergonomics and increased weight.
The 270 degree twin looks like a copy from the 70s unit engine Triumph.
The low end torque is nothing home to write about compared to the old England made interceptor or meteor, which is understandable since this is made to rev high.
The shift from pre unit to unit was done in England in the 70s and they were not welcomed much .
Compared to the Harleys and Bullet 500 single which retain the character and characteristics of the old motorcycles with better quality and refinment, Enfield interceptor has none , just the name is used for maketing gimmicks.
Old 23rd July 2019, 13:36   #994
BHPian

Had a flat front tyre yesterday, noticed it just as I was taking the bike out of parking.
The bike was OK when I parked it a day ago, and it wasn't exactly a flat, there was still some nominal pressure there.
So here is the RSA experience -
Called the RSA number at around 7:15 in the evening, told them I had a flat, gave them the address.
To be noted- RSA had separate IVR options if you are travelling to or from Leh/ Laddakh
and another separate option if you are an Int 650 or GT owner.

Got a call back from the RSA team, telling me that they are talking to the local vendor partner and since they dont have a "stand", would I be able to help out the technician with tyre removal. I said OK no problem. (I assumed they needed something to rest the bike's front end on, after tyre removal)
Got a call back again in sometime, they said they will arrange it to be towed to the SVC tonight and get the tyre fixed tomorrow morning as they (local vendor partner) do not have a "stand".
I asked what stand do they need? He said the bike does not come with a center stand so they need a stand for tyre removal. I figured the "stand" here was a paddock stand.
Told him that Interceptor comes equipped with a center stand so just send the guy over.

In the next 10 mins got the SMS with the local guy's name and number. Got a call from him in next 30 mins around 9:15 PM. Shared the address.
Got a call back from RE RSA to confirm if the local vendor gave me a call.
I said yes, he is on his way.

The person arrived, was a knowledgeable chap. Removed the tyre (in the process, learned how to do it myself). Took the tyre with him in the car to a nearby puncture shop. No puncture found, as I suspected. Filled up the air, got back and got the tyre fixed.
Signed a little from with the details and that was it.
Overall was a good experience with the RE RSA.

Now a word of caution/ Advise to the GT owners - The paddock stand here could have been a major issue if the Interceptor did not have a center stand.
A puncture would always require tyre removal and without a paddock stand it would be a very difficult task in case of the GT. Even if you buy a paddock stand, you can not carry it along on trips and it is unlikely that the local puncture guys would have a paddock stand. So the best thing would be to find a way to have the Int 650 center stand installed on the GT.
ishan12 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2019, 15:06   #995
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaymahajan View Post
I test rode the Interceptor a couple of week's back and agree that the foot peg positioning, pillion seat comfort and the handle bar need some sort of re thinking or upgrade post delivery.
All feedback is welcome before I plonk my money on this.
Agree that a lot of changes are required to make it more comfortable. Here is what I have done:
Handle bar - I switched to RD styled handle bar which gives me *almost* upright riding posture. It has also made standing and riding much easier. Recently did a 1000+ km ride over 3 days and it was fantastic. I was initially looking for handlebar risers but RD styled handle bars are not just tall but also a little wide. I have the same on my C350 and it has been very comfortable on long rides, so decided to stick to it for the INT as well.
Footpegs - a non issue really. It took me less than 500 kms to get used to it. Trick is to keep your leg ahead of the pegs which fold upwards nicely when pushed from the front.
Seat - Forget about pillion comfort even the rider seat is not great on long rides. Seat is possibly the most annoying thing on this otherwise pleasant motorcycle. Still in search of an alternative. Couple of them are already available in the market but haven't tried anything yet. Was really a pain in the butt (literally) on the long ride. Thank God, I had made it easier to stand and ride with taller handlebar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
Is it possible to fit heel and toe shifter like that of thunderbird or classic on the interceptor?
Like sukiwa said might be possible but I'd suggest try and get used to the toe shifter. Most of the modern bikes have only that. Classic 350 was my first geared motorcycle and I was used to the heel and toe shifter. Had to ride a Duke once and I struggled so much with it's single shifter. After that, I decided to get used to the single shifter and even changed my C350 gear lever to export model single shifter (available from RE for less than 200 bucks)
LazyGunner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2019, 15:55   #996
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by motor_breathing View Post
That's why I posted the query here thinking someone would have already figured it out
In that case, until someone comes up with an apt reply, here's how we wire buzzer's universally on motorcycles that aren't equipped with a relay.

Find the lines leading to the indicators, either at front or rear depending on access and space availability.

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20150102_145531.jpg

Next get two identical buzzers of good quality and connect them to both connectors, in mine the Green and Ash connector are for different directions, hence both leads from both would be connected to their respective connectors.

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20150102_165822_2.jpg

Secure things and roll the weather proof sheath back on and you won't even notice a thing.

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20150102_170138.jpg

As I said, this is as simple as it gets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishan12 View Post
Had a flat front tyre yesterday, noticed it just as I was taking the bike out of parking.
If your motorcycle lost TP just like that when left idle for a day then I'd presume your valve core needs to be replaced as its a tubed tire setup.
ashwinprakas is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2019, 16:04   #997
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyGunner View Post
Agree that a lot of changes are required to make it more comfortable. Here is what I have done:
Thanks LazyGunner!

Just read this (My Orange Crush Interceptor 650: The idiot's guide to Royal Enfield ownership)yesterday and I think I am tempted to do this before spending a bomb on a new seat.
akshaymahajan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2019, 18:44   #998
BHPian

Quote:
The bike was OK when I parked it a day ago, and it wasn't exactly a flat, there was still some nominal pressure there.

Took the tyre with him in the car to a nearby puncture shop. No puncture found, as I suspected. Filled up the air, got back and got the tyre fixed.
Please get yourself a portable air compressor & an air pressure gauge to avoid such inconvenience.

Ride safe,
surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2019, 18:56   #999
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
If your motorcycle lost TP just like that when left idle for a day then I'd presume your valve core needs to be replaced as its a tubed tire setup.
The valve and tube seemed OK when checked. Still got the tube changed to a new one which I had as a spare. Have kept the old one as spare now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
Please get yourself a portable air compressor & an air pressure gauge to avoid such inconvenience.

Ride safe,
surjaonwheelz
We already have an air compressor and gauge in our housing society and also in my office premises, so never felt the need to buy one. Also, I assumed it to be a puncture earlier as I was in hurry to go out somewhere. Later when I looked closely, I found some small amount of pressure was still there.
ishan12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2019, 13:32   #1000
BHPian

I am getting my Orange Crush next week. I wanted to get the stock seats changed and wasn't very convinced with the touring options. I looked around and finally ordered it from Sahara Seats . It costs about 4700 INR and resembles the conti GT seat setup. The seller has mentioned that its water proof with extra padding. I am leaving the link below in case anyone is interested. i am have also ordered the Novatronix flasher kit for RE. Went with this brand over Simtec mainly because it can be used without an external switch .

https://saharaseats.com/royal-enfiel...-d2-1706640887

Last edited by keshav1426 : 25th July 2019 at 13:33.
Old 25th July 2019, 19:12   #1001
BHPian

A review after 3000 KM on the Interceptor 650 –
<Long post alert>

Let me just start by saying – At this price point, there is nothing better, especially if you are a fan of retro styled bikes and looking for a twin cylinder engine.
I would say you are getting 3/4th the Bonnie at 1/3rd the price.
A lot has been said in terms of praises for the bike all over the internet and media reviews at the time of launch and it certainly deserves all of it. Few years ago I would not have imagined RE or any other Indian manufacturer would be able to develop a mid-capacity twin engine and launch at such a price. If at all someone would do it, I would have expected it to be Bajaj (along with KTM) and certainly not RE.
Coming to the bike –

Engine -

The engine is a gem! Smooth, linear and tractable. Beefy torque throughout the rev range.
And incase people do not know this, the RE twin is faster than the Bonnie Street twin in roll on acceleration in 3rd and 4th gear. Don’t believe me? Watch Zigwheel’s Int vs Street Twin comparo video on YouTube.
Highways are where the bike shines and makes you fall in love.
Vibrations-
A lot of Chai cup test have been done on the bike, calling it absolutely vibe free. Sure there are no vibes on the tank but it sure does make the vibrations felt at the handle bars and the foot pegs. But these are at very acceptable levels, and I would even say, they are much needed vibrations just to know that there is a large mill rumbling underneath.

Overall Quality -

Being a RE customer for more than a decade now, I can certainly say that the fit and finish and the quality of parts has certainly improved over time with RE and specially with the twins. But it is still way behind the Japanese and even Bajaj or TVS.
- Moisture seeping in the instrument cluster, mine already has got stained from inside because of this.
- Fuel cap rubber gasket/ seal torn just in 3 months’ use.
- Mild rusting in the chain and exhaust ends
- Defective Pirelli tyres
Other such minor Quality issue. I have already mentioned in detail, the issues faced by me in the same thread earlier.

Heating -

Heating is absolutely manageable. Does not roast your calves like the Harleys and the Ducatis or the KTMs. Also, heating drastically reduces after around 500-700 Kms. RE has done a commendable job in terms of managing the engine heat, especially with the engine extending outside the tank and sitting so close to the legs. Got to know from a person from RE, that even though there is an oil cooler, the engine is basically air cooled and the purpose of oil cooler is mostly to extend the life of the engine oil. (I am no expert on this, but this is what he said). I guess the low compression really helps with the heating.

Ergonomics –

Yes, foot pegs are an issue! And I am around 5.9”. But now after 3000 Km, I have made my peace with them and got used to, so it is not an issue anymore. I just spread my legs a little more far apart when placing my foot down.
A lot of people have installed handle bar raisers and higher handlebars and there are even after market foot peg extenders available now. But I feel you need these only if you are spoilt by the extremely comfortable ergos of the Thunderbird. If you have been riding any other bike, I am sure the ergos would feel just right, except for the foot pegs!
I sold my 7-year-old, 2012 TB350 before getting the Int 650. Even I wanted the handle bars to be a little higher than they are and I was used to the front set foot pegs. But I tried getting myself adjusted to the bike before getting the bike adjusted to myself, and it worked. Soon I felt that the rider’s triangle on Interceptor is very similar the Pulsar180 that I had before the TB350, except for the wider handlebar on Int.
As of now the only thing that needs work is the seat. Cushioning is fine, but the seat is too narrow for me (I am around 85 Kgs). Also the seat height is on the higher side, so anyone less than 5”6 will not be able to flat foot. And pushing the bike backwards from a parking spot will be very difficult given the weight. It is difficult even for me when parked over uneven surfaces.

Looks –

It is really subjective, but if you are really looking for a head turner, this is really not the bike. The bike minus the twin exhausts is really understated and subtle, even small by the segment standards. If not for the twin the exhausts the bike would have looked even smaller than the Classic or Thunderbird.

Service-

RE’s service experience has really improved over the last few years, but much improvement still needed. With the twins, RE is playing it really safe (Obviously they want to avoid Himalayan 2.0). The RE service guys are very responsive to customer’s issues. But the problem is that the hands and feet guys who would actually work on your machine are the service center people, and there has been no real improvement on that front. Expecting them to even set the valve clearance correctly is farfetched with the twins. They are good mostly just for normal service related stuff, oil change, air filter change etc.
So now I have noticed after a few social media posts on how few bikes started leaking oil from the head after the SVC opened the head for valve setting, RE has started sending experts from the company for any major issues which need some/ any investigation. This is much appreciated.
Also a lot of owners (including me) were invited for an interview for the feedback on the twins and to discuss improvement areas. For me it was around 45 mins qualitative discussion which was recorded and done in a really professional manner. Got a 2D scale model of the Int 650 and a RE key chain as a gift after the interview .
Also RE has started arranging DIY session with the twin owners for common stuff like, tyre removal and fitting, Oil change, Air filter change, chain tension setting etc. For my area it happened a couple of weeks ago, unfortunately I wasn’t able to attend. But they informed that such session will happen once every quarter.
Also a word of advice to new buyers, please wait for a few thousand Kms before you install aftermarket accessories like different handle bars, aux lights, headlight off switch, etc. There are still a few niggles that need to be fixed by RE and you wouldn’t want to give them reasons to not fix them under warranty.

Sound-

Certainly no Dug-Dug here, but it has a nice rumble. In terms of loudness, the stock exhausts sound almost as loud the stock Classic. But the rumble is certainly a distinguishing sound. I have noticed people turning behind to look just by the sound of it when passing them on the road. After riding my TB with a glass wool goldstar for last 7 years, I now feel ok with the stock exhausts and don’t feel the need to change. I feel the louder the exhausts the more uncomfortable and tiring it feels after a long ride.
But for those who like loud ones, there is a plethora of options available in the aftermarket.

Cost of ownership-

Would be certainly lesser than others in the segment, but for me (previous bikes TB 350, P180, Passion, RX135 in that order) it would be certainly higher than what I am used to. In designing the bike, I guess RE has not cut corners where it matters, Eg. Great engine, Bybre calipers but with Brembo Pads and Brembo discs, Pirelli tyres, Bosch fuel-injection etc.
So it will be a costly affair changing the Chain set, brake pads, tyres etc. But I am not complaining, you get what you pay for. Also comparing with the likes of HD Street 750, the maintenance costs would not be that high. Relative to the segment standards, it would be a cheap to maintain bike.
As for the mileage, I am getting close to 23-24 KMPL in the city and around 28 KMPL on the highway, which is what you would expect on a 650.

With all of the above said, it’s a great bike and has enabled a lot of people to be able to afford a mid-segment twin cylinder bike. Well Done RE in taking the plunge into developing the twins!!
ishan12 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 27th July 2019, 05:07   #1002
BHPian

Just a quick question guys... my dealer says there is always limited stocks of interceptor reaches them, thus always have only one vehicle to choose from. Same variant would take 2 to 2.5 months to reach again. Is that true? Anybody knows their distribution system, so my dealer doesn't take me for a ride?
Old 27th July 2019, 07:30   #1003
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirumalkumaran View Post
Just a quick question guys... my dealer says there is always limited stocks of interceptor reaches them, thus always have only one vehicle to choose from. Same variant would take 2 to 2.5 months to reach again. Is that true? Anybody knows their distribution system, so my dealer doesn't take me for a ride?
Yes, at a general level, the single color bikes are produced and sold more; especially the orange one. Also Interceptors sell 2 to 1 as compared to the Continental ones so waiting times would be in accordance. Also each dealer would have different order dynamics so waiting times could wary a bit from model to model wrt each dealership. Sometimes a booking might get canceled so a particular color might be available at immediate notice.

2-2.5 months is not a bad timeline, earlier it was upwards of 4 months. Keep prodding / checking and you could get it earlier if you are lucky.
Old 27th July 2019, 12:29   #1004
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Yes, at a general level, the single color bikes are produced and sold more; .... be available at immediate notice.

2-2.5 months is not a bad timeline, earlier it was upwards of 4 months. Keep prodding / checking and you could get it earlier if you are lucky.
Just went to the dealer and looked at his stockyard. I booked a mark three(black) and as he said, only one is available and that's alloted to me. Checked the vin and obviously it's 2019 made.

The guy who does PDI shared a tip. The emission certificate carries the date on which the bike is built and tested at the factory. As the vin only gives the year. Mine was made on 2nd week of June. With an odo of 3.0km.

Picking mine next week as it seems like a good day. Restless nights ahead.
thirumalkumaran is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th July 2019, 06:38   #1005
BHPian

Quote:
So the best thing would be to find a way to have the Int 650 center stand installed on the GT.

The Interceptor 650 center stand is a direct fit on GT since it's the exact same chassis. Can be bought and installed from any RE SC/Dealer.
adises is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks