Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2019, 22:20   #901
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellraiSEr_007 View Post
What freebies did you guys get at delivery?
I was given a helmet. I gave it back and they insisted on me having it. This happened 2-3 times and was quite comical. Its a RE branded helmet and has MLG 1901 written over it. Its still lying with me unused. When all this was happening, I had uttered that they can give me a key chain instead, that would be more useful, and they provided me a key chain too - nice tan leather key chain, which I am using for the bike.
rrsteer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2019, 16:15   #902
BHPian

I read in one of the forums that RE provides a helmet as freebie during a new purchase. I wasn't offered one by my dealer. Is it a dealer specific offer?
Old 1st July 2019, 01:01   #903
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by his-xc-lnc View Post
I read in one of the forums that RE provides a helmet as freebie during a new purchase. I wasn't offered one by my dealer. Is it a dealer specific offer?
The helmet is billed directly by the factory and is a freebie with every motorcycle, go to the dealer and ask for your helmet, maybe they forgot about it during delivery, if they refuse then complain about it to royal Enfield
yesyeswe is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2019, 06:27   #904
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Has anybody ever consumed 13 liters of petrol (or atleast neared that amount) on their Interceptor bike? The last blinking block on the fuel guage starts well around 8 liter mark, and the max I have pushed it till 11 liters. Yesterday the almost empty tank didn't at all make any noise when I shook it, yet when I filled up the tank, it came down to 10.9 liters.

It's a fuel-injected bike and you'll end up ruining your pump if you try to ride to empty. As per the manual it's a 13.7 litre tank with 0.75 dead stock (for impurities to accumulate) which means you have about 12.9 litres of usable fuel.

The low fuel warning is for 2.9 litres. The pump needs about 2 litres of fuel for the entire filter to be submerged I think. Which effectively means you should fill up before going through 10 litres...I personally fuel every 200-250 kms.

Your riding style and road conditions dictate the distance, which can be anything from 190 - 320 kms on 10 litres. I haven't seen anyone claim a fuel efficiency above 32 (on straight highways and constant 70-80kmph).
adises is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st July 2019, 12:14   #905

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
I took delivery of my Baker Express from the exact same dealer. I was quoted and paid Rs 700 for the fitment charges for fork gaiters, bash plate, crash guard and visor screen. So yes, the same rate is being quoted to everyone for accessories fitment. It makes sense mainly for the fork gaiters as there is good amount of work involved, comprising of removal of brake assembly, wheel, etc. Also the bash plate and crash guard involves some bit of work too, unless one is DIY confident. Even if we just buy accessories from the dealer and get it fitted elsewhere, we will have to pay for fitment. 700 feels on a bit higher side, but i guess they are taking advantage of a new bike where buyers usually just agree to such demands. I was ok with 700 being charged but did not like their approach. At delivery, half the accessories were not fitted. On demand, they fitted the accessories right at the delivery time but did in a very rough manner. It was almost torturous to see a brand new bike being subjected to sub-standard and harsh workmanship.

Fork gaiters are mainly for aesthetics but it originated to protect forks from elements, mainly fine dust which acts like fine sandpaper. Earlier, the seals were not that advanced and more prone to leakages. These days, even without the protection, the seals are of much superior quality and usually hold well for thousands of kms.
Freebies? Really!! I was thanking my stars that they were giving me bike at least. Leaving with some pics from last weekend outing.
Thank you ! Baker Express does look great Looking forward to join you for future rides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elitei20 View Post
Hey here in Coimbatore I fitted fork gaiter, crash guard, heel guard and single seat with cowl . He didn't charge me anything for fitment. That too the dealer was not the one I purchased my bike from.
I think, it is a case of the showroom folks cashing in on the craze. Now that they have the bike, I would rather go with the flow and pay them. I just hope they get the accessories fitted in the service center rather than doing a shoddy job at the showroom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyeswe View Post
The helmet is billed directly by the factory and is a freebie with every motorcycle, go to the dealer and ask for your helmet, maybe they forgot about it during delivery, if they refuse then complain about it to royal Enfield
Thank you for the juicy update! I can really do with a good secondary helmet
Old 1st July 2019, 12:51   #906
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
I was given a helmet. I gave it back and they insisted on me having it. This happened 2-3 times and was quite comical. Its a RE branded helmet and has MLG 1901 written over it. Its still lying with me unused.
My Bad! I completely forgot about the helmet. I received one too at the delivery time. Same MLG 1901 and had options to choose from matt black, glossy black and the desert storm khaki colour. seems basic in quality and half faced. May come handy in emergency for short neighborhood runs, esp for pillion.
Old 1st July 2019, 20:06   #907
BHPian

A brief review of my 4 months experience with the Interceptor. I have done about 2,600 kms during this period. I hope it fits well in this thread for someone looking for brief ownership experiences from different Team BHP members.
To start with, my previous bikes have been Pulsar 150 first gen, Classic 500 (2011) and Classic 350 (2015). Some of my observations are in comparison to my previous bikes.

First and foremost what I don't like in Interceptor:

Buzzing feeling in hands and feet after just couple of hours of riding. I was totally fine with long stroke big vibrations of the Classic 500 but this buzz I get in palms and feet is the most annoying thing. There is high frequency vibrations from handle bars and foot pegs. Probably changing to softer grips and wearing more cushioned gloves will reduce it a bit. I don't know how to address the foot pegs though. There is small but high frequency vibes from seat too but that's manageable. I can put up with uncomfortable feeling on a ride to some extent but I'm more worried about long term damage the vibrations can(and will) cause to the body.

Pillion rider discomfort. Pillion foot pegs are so oddly situated the Interceptor can compete with almost any bike for a top spot in worst pillion comfort. I think Dukes have tougher competition from twins in this regard. Ideally the twins pillion foot pegs should have been situated more forward and downward, somewhere around where the rear brake fluid reservoir is situated. With a twist of throttle the pillion is forced backwards, and with a touch on the brakes they are sent forward on to the rider. Can't do spirited riding when there is a pillion. A better seat and a backrest can help quite a bit. I'm planning to use the bike as is for another 6 months or so, and if it looks like I'm going to keep the bike for long term or do lot of touring I will look out for workarounds to place the pillion foot pegs differently.

Apart from the above I don't see any serious drawbacks in the bike. Following are some observations:
  • Rider foot peg position is easy to get used to. I'm about 5'8". Only issue is when I'm on the bike and have to push the bike backwards, for eg. while moving out from parking slot.
  • Bike is lot easier to ride around in city than one would imagine. But it's definitely an overkill, and depending on the traffic even scooters can do a better job.
  • Weight is well managed. Unless you lose balance you won't realise how heavy the bike is. Even in slow moving traffic it balances the weight easily. I put my foot down far less compared to riding even my scooter thanks to good weight distribution.
  • Gear shifts has been very inconsistent. In 4 months it has varied anywhere from super smoooth to super hard, right now the downshifts are hard and loud. Chain tension and clutch adjustment seem fine, so it's warranting a service station visit just for this problem.
  • Headlight is not great but I don't find it seriously lagging either.
  • Seat could have been designed better. No complaints personally but just saying RE could have done better. I have done 100+kms rides on bicycles that come with tiny and hard saddles, so compared to that any motorbike seat is comfortable. Anyone new to biking or long rides wanting to change the seats, I suggest using the stock seat for few months before deciding what seat to go with.
  • Over broken roads the bike makes some rattling noise. Most coming from rear, could be from around swing arms or the stands moving about the pivot slightly. Both the Classics I owned felt superbly built in this regard.
  • Handling is nice. Just lean into a curve and the bike manages the rest on its own. Miles ahead compared to the classics.
  • Power delivery is kind of uniform. I like once in a while revving hard as well as relaxed riding. For a 650cc it's not mind glowingly fast but it's definitely sufficiently powered for almost all practical needs. I find the sweet spot for cruising on this bike is around 110km/h which fits well for my riding style. Plus there is plenty of juice left if you want to sprint up a short stretch.
  • Haven't had much experience with the infamous fuel gauge. Once it's down to 2 blocks the max distance I cover before filling up is 30kms. When I fill full tank at that stage it usually takes about 8-9 litres.
  • Aesthetically only problem I have is the silencers sticking out in the rear view. Front view is ordinary and side view is really good . But then looks are subjective.
  • I have no idea what the bike sounds like above 3k RPM. Once I get going all I hear is the wind noise. I wish to be a bystander when a bunch of twins are cruising past at 120km/h.
  • During the first 2 months of ownership I have received many calls from RE - some outsourced to survey managing companies to gather user feedback on the product. Overall it sounded RE was genuinely interested in feedback. Also dealer experience has been good with HSR Services Lalbagh road.
Due to personal work I haven't been able to go on long rides yet. The longest I have done is 250kms in one day which was totally fatigue free. Looking forward to put more miles after August and cover some of the not-been-before places in South India.
Biker Ram is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 6th July 2019, 16:55   #908
BHPian

A couple of photographs of the modifications done to make the brat more 'meaner' :-)

The exhausts are screaming eagle. The fit needs a little to be worked upon. The sound which the brat makes now is much beefier and the weight has also considerable reduced making the push and pull from parking much easier.
Attached Thumbnails
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_2007.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_2015.jpg  

isldhn is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 6th July 2019, 18:44   #909
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by isldhn View Post
A couple of photographs of the modifications done to make the brat more 'meaner' :-)

The exhausts are screaming eagle. The fit needs a little to be worked upon. The sound which the brat makes now is much beefier and the weight has also considerable reduced making the push and pull from parking much easier.
Looks fantastic!

How did you make the engine parts black? Are these the screaming eagle from Harley's?
sprocket is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2019, 19:49   #910
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprocket View Post
Looks fantastic!

How did you make the engine parts black? Are these the screaming eagle from Harley's?
Yup. These are the ones from Harley. Got some parts powder coated and some painted. Basically the ones which heat up a lot need to be powder coated. Thanks for appreciating:-)
isldhn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2019, 20:04   #911
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by isldhn View Post

Very very good IMO, the interceptor should have come with the straight exhausts to make the pillion comfortable by placeng the rear foot pegs lower. The upswept is more suited for the cafe. It could've easily been available as an option or accessory for the Interceptor and this could have helped in decreasing the cost as well.

Any which ways, the straight exhausts are in line with the bike and make it look leaner.
Old 8th July 2019, 13:55   #912
Senior - BHPian

Yes it does look good but is there sufficient clearance to push the rear wheel axle in case there is a need to remove the rear wheel?
That's a key thing that i would like to look out.

But the blackened parts look a good real though. Hope they launch a stealth version of the interceptor. Not seeing it coming soon since the demand is still good, last I heard was the waiting period is now around 45-60 days.

Last edited by ku69rd : 8th July 2019 at 13:58.
Old 8th July 2019, 17:24   #913
BHPian

Hello everyone!,
I had booked my interceptor in Nov and got the delivery in mid March.
Have ridden the bike for almost 2500 Km till now.
I was expecting this product from RE to be niggle free, given all the quality assurances from RE at the time of launch, but sadly it has not been the case with my bike.
There is no doubt that this is an awesome product from RE specially at this price point.
But the niggles have made the experience less enjoyable for me.
Below are the major issues faced in 3-4 months of ownership.

Issue 1 -
Loss of air pressure from the rear tyre every few days.
To be precise rear tyre goes from 36 to around 15-18 PSI every week.

Visited the SC twice, first time they just checked the tube and said everything is fine as there was no leakage found.
Second time they changed the tube under warranty, I am yet to check if the issue has been fixed.
Interestingly, mine is not the only bike with this issue, there are several others.

Issue 2-

Rubber seal inside the fuel lid cap is torn. This caused some water to enter into the fuel tank while I washed the bike. Fortunately, the water was not much, and the bike was fine after some hiccups/ jittery throttle for a few Kms.

SC guy said that they can replace the rubber seal with that of an old TB as the size is the same, but would rather change the lock set on my bike under warranty (this would mean both fuel cap and ignition, since the key is the same) as they would need to send the faulty part back to the factory. I have agreed to this, but the new part is yet to arrive. Again mine is not the only bike with this issue.

Issue 3 - The major one-

At speeds above 80-90 the bike's handle starts wobbling, noticed when you loosen your grip on the handle bar or remove one had from the bars. (I have not had the courage to check with both hands removed from the bar)
It is like a tank slapper but with lesser intensity.
Left the bike at SC, they at first checked it by installing the front wheel from another bike to ensure there are not balancing/ trueing/ rim spoke issues but the same wobbling occurred, so issues with the wheel are ruled out.
Then they waited for the "experts" from RE who arrived next day, I got a call in the evening saying the issue was fixed and it was due to too tight center nut at the T stem.
It was so tight that the threads almost broke. Got the bike back after 2 days (with a missing brace pad accessory which they lost).
Tested it at 100 Kph today and the issue is still there but to a lesser extent.
Again, I know one more person from our group who has the same issue.

With all the above problems, I would still say that RE's service experience has vastly improved, specially in case of the twins. We have the RE service team a call away, and they are very responsive and professional.
RE service manager for the area is also member of the owners Whatsapp group and promptly responds on queries/ issues posted there.
I have still not had an incident with the service guy saying "Thats how it is for all REs/ Sir this is normal, saari Interceptor me aisa hi hota hai".
I have visited the Pune, Baner SC, Kings Autorides and till now my experience has been good. Hopefully they will be able to solve the major wobbling issue with my bike.
ishan12 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th July 2019, 08:11   #914
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adises View Post
Got the first service done this Saturday where they did tappet adjustment and changed the oil. Two issues cropped up immediately after:

1) The bike started behaving erratically and shutting down on my way home. I stopped at another RE workshop along the way and they diagnosed that one of the spark plug caps wasn't working. They replaced it and the bike started running fine.

2) Yesterday on my way back home from work there was a lot of traffic and it started heating up. The bike refused to rev smoothly in the 1200 - 2000 rpm range and kept shutting down / choking like it wasn't getting any air.
out.
Is your issue resolved? Plz share what the RE SVC guys did.
Old 10th July 2019, 12:31   #915
BHPian

The wobbling issues has reduced after I got the bike back from SC, but certainly not fully fixed. I have not been able to check thoroughly because of the heavy rains in last 2 days.
Need to take the bike to the 80-120 Kmph range to make sure.
The service guys from RE and SC have been supportive, and called me back and wanted to pick the bike up from my residence when I messaged them saying that it is still not fixed.
I have asked them a couple of days time to check myself, most probably will hand them over the bike tomorrow.
As for the tyre pressure issue, I can verify that only after a week.

I know 2 more Int 650 owners who are struggling with the same wobbling problem and it has not been fixed for them too even after leaving the bike with the SC. (All of us visited different service centers)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks