Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2019, 10:50   #751
BHPian

Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
I got the bike delivered about 10 days back, have ridden it for about 100kms.
This is exactly the type of bike I always wanted. I have 4 criterias for a bike. 1) Traditional good looks, that mingle easily in the traffic 2) Good powerful engine 3) Good braking 4) I have a preference towards bikes that feel heavy. Interceptor ticks all the boxes for me.

Having said that, I am facing the following issues:
1) Can't find the neutral easily. Not once have I been able to slot the bike in neutral in less than 3 attempts.
2) Strange tuk - tuk noise from the engine. i don't know if its an inherent sound of the engine, I think not. Its not the tappet sound.
3) The RHS mirror is too tight, when I use force to adjust, it feels like it will break.
4) The fuel gauge is ridiculous. In the morning today it showed two bars less than the full set. In the afternoon while riding it was showing all the bars.
5) Slotting the gears, feels a bit hard.
6) The rpm needle keeps fluctuating when idle.
7) Sometimes the clutch lever motion is not smooth, get a hint of the cable coming out of position and then slotting back.

One word about the delivery experience - fabulous.
Without being annoying, I have received more than 3 follow up calls from the dealership on different topics, since delivery. Today, a kind lady called to ask if I was facing any issues. I mentioned all the issues listed above. She confirmed they would be sending a person to check the bike, and if need be will bring it to the service center.
1) The difficulty in finding neutral could be down to two things, the bike is brand new and the gears need to bed in, give it some time it'll be alright. Second could be the gloves you're wearing, strange enough this was the case with mine. When wearing my full gauntlet oxford gloves which are quite thick I am not able to pull the clutch all the way in and hence always get the gears stuck. With my other cramster gloves with thinner leather, its easier

2 & 7) Do go to the SVC to get it checked. These guys are making a note of every issue and promptly addressing them

3, 4, 5, 6) I share the same experience
shabih is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2019, 13:53   #752
BHPian

I took delivery of my Silver Spectre last week and clocked about 200 Kms now, the bike is just great (as of now).

Delivery process @ Bommasandra Motors, Bangalore
Bike was delivered to me after about 100 days from booking. The booking was for ravishing red but the showroom offered me an orange crush in April first week which I had to skip due to some financial reasons. The bike was delivered to another Bhpian, who had sold his Harley to get the Interceptor.

By April end they call me and confirm about next slot which would include a Silver Spectre and a GT650, I initiated the payment process from my side since me and my wife was not really happy with the Ravishing Red's presence on road. Delivery was a low key affair and I am happy it went so

Owning experience
The 200 Kms on the ODO was mainly my commute from Attibele to Electronic city through Hosur road. The highway performance is something I am extremely happy about. The bike pulls really well when revved to overtake and gives me a confidence that the engine is happy doing so all day. Something I really missed on the Himalayan which I had to sell in a short span of three months.

Great exhaust note when revved - nothing loud and disturbing, but enjoyable. No plans to change the same until S & S is made available in India - which is very unlikely.

No issues with the foot pegs, maybe it's my height that is helping me here.

Issues noted:
  • Weird fuel gauge - not a trustworthy partner on drives.
  • Front shocks make a light thud noise when taken through bad patches, nothing disturbing but its there
  • The silencers need some sort of shield for sure, wife burned her legs when getting down from the bike
  • The front mud guard is kind of useless when the roads are wet, mud and muck is sure to hit your clothes
  • Seats - they need to be a bit more wider for sure
  • Rear suspension is set to soft off factory, need to step it up a level or two

Minor changes planned:
  • Gaiters for front shocks - when available with showroom
  • Seats to be widened - not an immediate plan
  • Front fly screen - not immediate
  • Zana crash guard - will be done this weekend
  • Silencer shield - My mechanic in Kochi has some plans, will do it once he is done with his research
psmenon is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th May 2019, 15:58   #753
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Bike was delivered to me after about 100 days from booking. The booking was for ravishing red but the showroom offered me an orange crush in April first week which I had to skip due to some financial reasons.
I am getting offer from showroom to take the 'chrome' or 'orange crush' which i do not want. There is something seriously wrong with baker express which is what i want and which they have no clue o, and are not receiving from the factory at all. Even ravishing red is a bit difficult to get, but not as much as Mr baker. Could it be RE's lack of experience in doing dual colour tank with a pin stripe? Except tank, there is nothing much, except single colour side panels, and powdercoating of alloys, mirrors etc which are pretty much routine. Whats not fair is someone who booked a baker has to wait for 6 months and someone who wants an orange can get it within 3 months. There should be some logic and method to this madness.
Old 15th May 2019, 17:21   #754
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
I am getting offer from showroom to take the 'chrome' or 'orange crush' which i do not want. There is something seriously wrong with baker express which is what i want and which they have no clue o, and are not receiving from the factory at all. Even ravishing red is a bit difficult to get, but not as much as Mr baker. Could it be RE's lack of experience in doing dual colour tank with a pin stripe? Except tank, there is nothing much, except single colour side panels, and powdercoating of alloys, mirrors etc which are pretty much routine. Whats not fair is someone who booked a baker has to wait for 6 months and someone who wants an orange can get it within 3 months. There should be some logic and method to this madness.
Totally agree with the frustration on the delay. I was very keen on getting the ravishing red but saw a couple of them on road and we really did not like them. But Mr Baker has a different look altogether, its classy and smart at the same time. Saw couple of them on road and they do deserve a second look.

As Sid Lal said on the launch day, Orange is the perfect color for this bike I feel - It adds a lot of character to the bike.

Silver is more of a sleeper, stays a bit low profile and hope it does not get the unwanted attention of vandals.
psmenon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2019, 17:31   #755
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Silver is more of a sleeper, stays a bit low profile and hope it does not get the unwanted attention of vandals.
Silver was the other colour which i loved. Did not opt for as it would keep reminding me of the silver bonnie i had. I still strongly feel that the bonnie has much refined lines, better silhoutte, better balanced elements, better integration and transition of form etc, purely from aesthetic point of view. So best to stay away from constant mental comparison in silver. Just look at those beauties.
Attached Thumbnails
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-dsc_0111.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-dsc_0080.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-dsc_0068.jpg  

nasirkaka is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th May 2019, 23:15   #756
BHPian

I was in love with the Continental GT's cafe racer design ever since it debuted back in 2013. The CGT650 rekindled that desire, but I was in doubt over spending ₹3.5L on a vehicle I won't be using much. After contemplating a lot and going on/off about it for months I came across an ad for CGT 535 on sale at Credr, offered with 6 months of warranty on engine and gearbox. I went for a test drive, loved it so picked it up. Posting it here in twin 650 thread as I thought it would be more relevant here.

This isn't stock, the EFI is replaced with good old carburetor and it has a custom exhaust. It rides like a beast and roars like one too, not like the typical loud RE sound but low intimidating growl. It's a head turner and lot of curious people approach me everytime I take it out to ask either the make or weather if it's 'modified'.

I have painted the rims and the exhaust black and wraped the side covers with carbon fibre vinyl. Also got the bar end rear view mirrors and leg guard installed. Wasn't able to find the Pirelli 130/70 r18 so settled for the ralco of the same size. Still looking for the front tyre. Amazon's reviews point out that customers are getting 2015 make pirelli tyres so didn't buy from amazon. With the success of 650 twins hopefully better options will be available in near future.
Attached Thumbnails
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-screenshot_20190516225658__01.jpg  

Last edited by wrongturn : 16th May 2019 at 23:23.
wrongturn is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th May 2019, 11:39   #757
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was in love with the Continental GT's cafe racer design ever since it debuted back in 2013. The CGT650 rekindled that desire, but I was in doubt over spending ₹3.5L on a vehicle I won't be using much. After contemplating a lot and going on/off about it for months I came across an ad for CGT 535 on sale at Credr, offered with 6 months of warranty on engine and gearbox. I went for a test drive, loved it so picked it up. Posting it here in twin 650 thread as I thought it would be more relevant here.
Nice looking bike there. The Old GT 535s have their own charm with the long stroke single and that exhaust note. It came with a lighter crank and could rev a bit more than the uce500s. Makes sense for someone who is is not going to use much, over the GT 650. As for the mods on your bike, yes, REs have a lot of scope to tinker around and its fun workin if there is time and money at hand. I did try a lot of performance stuff on my first gen classic 500. This is those days (2010) when classic 500 was the most powerful bike on paper with 27.2 bhp. the CBRs and dukes were yet to come. Got ride of EFI and ECU and replaced the entire wiring harness from classic 350. Got a 535cc forged wossner piston from Germany and bored the engine to fit that along with head polishing. Used a MIKUNI TM 32 flat slide carb and explored a lot with various jet sizes and needle points. burnt so many sparks plugs in those days. Prashant from Indimotard helped tune that carb. Wonder if we can tinker so much with modern bikes with ABS and so much of electronics all over. the good part is that these bikes (650 twins) are adequately powered for most user scenario.
nasirkaka is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th May 2019, 13:12   #758
BHPian

For those looking to improve the suspension on their twin's , Ohlin's has some offering now.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BxeeQjxg...=1b0b2ith3b3sm

products on offer

RE-911 https://www.ohlins.eu/en/products/mo.../re-911--6702/
RE-912 https://www.ohlins.eu/en/products/mo.../re-912--6703/
FSK-145 (FSK means Front Spring Kit).

looks cool! now sure on how much more the performance would be compared to the stock.

Last edited by krishnaprasad : 17th May 2019 at 13:20.
krishnaprasad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2019, 13:39   #759
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For those looking to improve the suspension on their twin's , Ohlin's has some offering now.
969 euro!! With applicable taxes landed cost in India would be close to a lakh. The Paiolis on the 535 continental GTs costed about 11k for a pair and a lot of Bonnie riders had shifted to that. Ride was better than stock and also helped increase ground clearance a bit. Would be good to know if anyone who is experienced Paiolis on the old GT and done some miles on the new GT650 can shed some light. To begin with, how is the stock suspension on the 650 twins? I could not find much as the test ride was on good roads.
nasirkaka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2019, 16:32   #760
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
969 euro!! With applicable taxes landed cost in India would be close to a lakh. The Paiolis on the 535 continental GTs costed about 11k for a pair and a lot of Bonnie riders had shifted to that. Ride was better than stock and also helped increase ground clearance a bit. Would be good to know if anyone who is experienced Paiolis on the old GT and done some miles on the new GT650 can shed some light. To begin with, how is the stock suspension on the 650 twins? I could not find much as the test ride was on good roads.
The Paiolis that I had on my Bonnie gave way after around 12000 km. One of them started leaking and I put back the stock shocks. Heard numerous instances of Paiolis failing. I guess the QC is suspect
dinu2506 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2019, 16:41   #761
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
969 euro!! With applicable taxes landed cost in India would be close to a lakh.
Believe these are much cheaper in Bangkok from the very same manufacturer, should be around 34K for the rear suspension and 12K for Fork Springs.
Guess the brand name "OHLINS" is demanding the additional premium.
ku69rd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2019, 01:38   #762
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmenon View Post
I took delivery of my Silver Spectre last week and clocked about 200 Kms now, the bike is just great (as of now). The bike was delivered to another Bhpian, who had sold his Harley to get the Interceptor.
Congratulations on finally getting your bike! Sorry, that I had to steal your booking. I was frantically visiting the showroom everyday and on that fateful day when I went in, they offered me the Orange Crush stating that you weren't ready to buy this now. Well, thanks to you I got the bike within a month and a half of booking it. What I actually booked was the Ravishing Red, but didn't have the patience to wait for ever for it to be delivered.
Snehal Sekhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2019, 09:24   #763

Hello, can anyone tell the cost of GT 650 tank?
Old 18th May 2019, 14:50   #764
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys,
Picking up my INT 650 on Monday; what's the view with regards to the engine guard and the sump guard? My view wrt to accessories was to run the bike for a while and then figure out the changes I need to do on a requirement basis. But considering this is my first RE and exposure to 200kg+ bikes, do the above guards are absolutely a no-brainer decision?
Old 18th May 2019, 15:27   #765
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
considering this is my first RE and exposure to 200kg+ bikes, do the above guards are absolutely a no-brainer decision?
Exactly the same thing was on my mind, the thought of my leg getting trapped in case of a fall under that weight made me go and get that engine guard installed first thing on my CGT. I got an octagon SS one for ₹1100. I was told it was a genuine RE product and it has 'For Royal Enfield' printed on one side.
Attached Thumbnails
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-screenshot_20190518152054__01.jpg  

wrongturn is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks