Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2019, 13:34   #1036
BHPian

Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Has anyone installed a Bypass switch to get rid of the always on headlamp feature without cutting wires? If we don't cut any wires and somehow manage to install a switch does it void warranty?
Old 6th August 2019, 15:05   #1037
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyeswe View Post
Has anyone installed a Bypass switch to get rid of the always on headlamp feature without cutting wires? If we don't cut any wires and somehow manage to install a switch does it void warranty?
I have done it on my INT650. All you need is a BS3 switch from any of the other bullets, a connector cable. The switch will cost around Rs 274, and Cable for around Rs 200. No cutting or splicing of wires needed - but if you aren't sure of how it is done, go with a professional outlet.
abirnale is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th August 2019, 15:43   #1038
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
I have done it on my INT650. All you need is a BS3 switch from any of the other bullets, a connector cable. The switch will cost around Rs 274, and Cable for around Rs 200. No cutting or splicing of wires needed - but if you aren't sure of how it is done, go with a professional outlet.
Can this be installed for other bikes also? I am also looking for similar mod for my Domi. Please provide the link where this is available.
Old 6th August 2019, 15:59   #1039
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
Can this be installed for other bikes also?
Not sure how this is done for other bikes but i suppose you need to search for parts compatibility in the family of products from the manufacturer. RE being common bikes and mod frenzy, there are tons of garages who do this. I opted to visit Fixwell Motors in Bangalore on JC Road - they are spare parts stockists and retailer for RE. There are some mechanics outside shop who do this job for Rs 100. Best is to visit your ASC and win the trust to get this done on your bike. They can definitely do this. Worst case, you can add an extra switch between the headlight - will mostly need some wiring cutting if not equipped with appropriate connectors.
Old 6th August 2019, 16:22   #1040
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I would suggest please dont get rid of this safety feature. It does a good job of keeping you visible to other motorists during the day and can sometimes mean the difference between a near miss and a painful accident.
neil.jericho is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th August 2019, 16:24   #1041
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Aren't we discussing something "illegal" here on this subject ?

MV Act stipulates that all two wheelers produced in India post 1st April 2019 are supposed to have HL/Running Light on permenantly whilst being operational on Indian Roads - 'Automatic Headlamp On' (AHO). I think it is stipulated that they are not to have any kind of switch for operating this light

Just my two bits

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 6th August 2019 at 16:31.
r_nairtvm is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th August 2019, 21:21   #1042
Distinguished - BHPian

In the USA, federal transportation regulations can control what the manufacturers can and can't do however they can't regulate what people can do. Only the States can create laws to control the actions of people.

For instance, there is a U.S. federal regulation that requires the headlight on a motorcycle made or imported into the US to always be on whenever the engine is running. Because only the States can make laws controlling the actions of people many of our States do not require the federal rule so, the requirement for a headlight to always be on does not apply. In my state of Arizona for instance, the headlight does not have to be on.

I would expect the laws in India to be similar to this but I must confess, I don't really know.
That said, it is fairly easy to install a switch that will allow the headlight to be either on or off at the desecration of the rider however this usually requires cutting one wire and splicing in two new wires to extend the wires to the new switch location. The new switch will be positioned between the headlight's ground terminal and the motorcycles ground.

If you remove the headlight from the bucket or casquette, you will see three wires connected to the rear of the light. Holding the light with the "top" up, the terminals on the light normally consist of a vertical lug on the left, a horizontal lug at the top and a vertical lug on the right.
The vertical lug on the left is the GROUND terminal. It will usually have a black or amber colored wire connected to it.
At the top, the horizontal lug is the LOW beam terminal and will have a green wire connected to it. The vertical lug on the right is the HIGH beam terminal. It will have a blue wire connected to it.

Do not change the wiring for the LOW or HIGH beam connections.
Cut the black or amber colored wire and splice in a suitable length of wire to both of th ends of the wire that was just cut. Insulate the joints with electrical tape to prevent them from grounding on any metal in the area. Install a "off/on" switch and connect the two added wires to it.
With this switch in the "on" position, the headlights ground terminal will be grounded. With it in the "off" position the headlight will no longer be grounded so it will not illuminate.

It might be possible to find a old right hand handlebar switch that can be wired up like the old RE was but without examining the 650's handlebars and wiring I can't say if connecting it would be possible.
As with any modification done to a new motorcycle there is a chance that doing this mod to your 650 will void the warranty. Most dealers in the USA will over look a mod like the one I just described unless something goes wrong with it and it causes a problem. Then, they will point out what the problem is and tell you the damage is not covered.
If it doesn't cause a problem they will still cover any problem that the motorcycle might have with anything else. Of course, since it is up to the dealer to decide whether the new switch had anything to do with a problem, you are at his mercy.

Last edited by ArizonaJim : 6th August 2019 at 21:32.
ArizonaJim is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th August 2019, 21:30   #1043
BANNED

Quote:
Why would you want to disable this safety feature?

None of my rides ever came with AHO but I've been riding with my HL ON for close to a decade now, it really does get you noticed and being noticed is a good thing when you're shuttling around on a comparatively smaller mode of transport.
ashwinprakas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th August 2019, 23:22   #1044
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
I would suggest please dont get rid of this safety feature. It does a good job of keeping you visible to other motorists during the day and can sometimes mean the difference between a near miss and a painful accident.
Because of AOH, the jaywalkers don't pay any heed to me giving them pass switch, because the headlamp is always on, pressing on to the pass switch simply turns the low beam to the high beam, moreover during day time it does't even registers any difference. Before GT, whenever i used to use pass switch on my pulsar the jaywalkers would stop immediately, it was like a warning to them. But now it's not happening, pass switch used, nothing! But I've heard you, I'll press the horn more or stop my bike simply

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post

MV Act stipulates that all two wheelers produced in India post 1st April 2019 are supposed to have HL/Running Light on permenantly whilst being operational on Indian Roads - 'Automatic Headlamp On' (AHO). I think it is stipulated that they are not to have any kind of switch for operating this light

Just my two bits

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
Didn't know that, thank you for enlightening me. Mission aborted

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
In the USA, federal transportation regulations can control what the manufacturers can and can't do however they can't regulate what people can do. Only the States can create laws to control the actions of people.

For instance, there is a U.S. federal regulation that requires the headlight on a motorcycle made or imported into the US to always be on whenever the engine is running. Because only the States can make laws controlling the actions of people many of our States do not require the federal rule so, the requirement for a headlight to always be on does not apply. In my state of Arizona for instance, the headlight does not have to be on.

I would expect the laws in India to be similar to this but I must confess, I don't really know.
That said, it is fairly easy to install a switch that will allow the headlight to be either on or off at the desecration of the rider however this usually requires cutting one wire and splicing in two new wires to extend the wires to the new switch location. The new switch will be positioned between the headlight's ground terminal and the motorcycles ground.

If you remove the headlight from the bucket or casquette, you will see three wires connected to the rear of the light. Holding the light with the "top" up, the terminals on the light normally consist of a vertical lug on the left, a horizontal lug at the top and a vertical lug on the right.
The vertical lug on the left is the GROUND terminal. It will usually have a black or amber colored wire connected to it.
At the top, the horizontal lug is the LOW beam terminal and will have a green wire connected to it. The vertical lug on the right is the HIGH beam terminal. It will have a blue wire connected to it.

Do not change the wiring for the LOW or HIGH beam connections.
Cut the black or amber colored wire and splice in a suitable length of wire to both of th ends of the wire that was just cut. Insulate the joints with electrical tape to prevent them from grounding on any metal in the area. Install a "off/on" switch and connect the two added wires to it.
With this switch in the "on" position, the headlights ground terminal will be grounded. With it in the "off" position the headlight will no longer be grounded so it will not illuminate.

It might be possible to find a old right hand handlebar switch that can be wired up like the old RE was but without examining the 650's handlebars and wiring I can't say if connecting it would be possible.
As with any modification done to a new motorcycle there is a chance that doing this mod to your 650 will void the warranty. Most dealers in the USA will over look a mod like the one I just described unless something goes wrong with it and it causes a problem. Then, they will point out what the problem is and tell you the damage is not covered.
If it doesn't cause a problem they will still cover any problem that the motorcycle might have with anything else. Of course, since it is up to the dealer to decide whether the new switch had anything to do with a problem, you are at his mercy.
I wish my ex typed this much for me instead of the one word replies that i used to get thank you for putting this much effort in explaining the whole procedure to me, I've learnt something new today. You sir typed a lot, beer's on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Why would you want to disable this safety feature?

None of my rides ever came with AHO but I've been riding with my HL ON for close to a decade now, it really does get you noticed and being noticed is a good thing when you're shuttling around on a comparatively smaller mode of transport.
I have explained the reason above but i have changed my mind now, never thought about it properly in the first place. We meet again, from xBhp pulsar thread to tbhp's interceptor
yesyeswe is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2019, 00:30   #1045
BANNED

Quote:
I have explained the reason above but i have changed my mind now, never thought about it properly in the first place. We meet again, from xBhp pulsar thread to tbhp's interceptor
Small world of enthusiasts among our 1.3B population it seems.

Good to see you here and congratulations on the Interceptor, bet you're glad to be riding something that doesn't consume so much oil.

Jokes apart, I'm still on the P220 though, still remains the Garage Queen and doesn't see as much action as the other rides but has managed to crawl to 43k+ kms, hopefully would cross the 50k milestone before completing 5 years of ownership.

Regards,
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2019, 06:06   #1046
Distinguished - BHPian

Just so that everyone reading the thread are aware and not make wrong assumptions - adding AHO disable switch will still keep the parking lights always ON. There is a light to be noticed and not completely switched off. Of course lesser light than low beam. Having changed the headlight to something that comes with bright DRL as well, the parking light connection goes to DRL. Turn the switch ON, DRL is on. So now instead of entire headlight low beam and parking ON, only DRL is ON. So not compromising safety feature. And use of kill switch on our long traffic light stops, doesn’t drain battery as fast as it would while headlight is on. Hope this helps clear some assumptions.

And about warranty, yes it will be technically void as soon as you do anything other than stock. That’s your individual choice if you are prepared for eventuality or no.

Last edited by abirnale : 7th August 2019 at 06:07.
abirnale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2019, 15:36   #1047
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Small world of enthusiasts among our 1.3B population it seems.

Good to see you here and congratulations on the Interceptor, bet you're glad to be riding something that doesn't consume so much oil.

Jokes apart, I'm still on the P220 though, still remains the Garage Queen and doesn't see as much action as the other rides but has managed to crawl to 43k+ kms, hopefully would cross the 50k milestone before completing 5 years of ownership.

Regards,
A.P.
With a tank capacity of 17 litres and a good fuel economy my pulsar used to cover 700 kms easily, now my GT with a puny fuel tank covers around 220 kms. It's not that i didn't know about the fuel consumption but going to the fuel station frequently is very irritating.
yesyeswe is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2019, 17:04   #1048
BHPian

Might sound like a noob question, but important for me to know.

Planning a longish solo ride next month and with the tube type tyre on the interceptor, a puncture is always a worry. Also 18" size tube is not widely available.
So I am planning to carry a tube along on the ride.
Now the question is - Do I need to carry 2 different tubes for the front and rear or is there any one tube size that may fit both?
Also, in case the OEM tubes are different on the front and rear, can the same tube be put on either and used temporarily?
I would prefer carrying one tube as I need the luggage to be as less as possible.
Old 7th August 2019, 18:01   #1049
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Ram
Agree with you

Quote:
Didn't know that, thank you for enlightening me. Mission aborted
Thanks for understanding, appreciate it. However, if you are looking at possibilities for reducing battery drain, one option would be to research on good LED headlamps. I have a LED setup on my Bonnie for close to 4 years now and its a low running bike. Still runs on the stock battery. Touchwood.
dinu2506 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2019, 19:15   #1050
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Because of AOH, the jaywalkers don't pay any heed to me giving them pass switch, because the headlamp is always on, pressing on to the pass switch simply turns the low beam to the high beam, moreover during day time it does't even registers any difference. Before GT, whenever i used to use pass switch on my pulsar the jaywalkers would stop immediately, it was like a warning to them. But now it's not happening, pass switch used, nothing! But I've heard you, I'll press the horn more or stop my bike simply
Try this. Not completely legal, but would maintain the visibility based safely aspect of AOH and will also solve you issue of pass switch visibility. I have installed a pair of aux lights on my interceptor. I have connected the aux light trigger wire to the OEM high-beam. So when i ride, only the OEM lights are on in low beam position. When i flash, the high-beam comes on along with the two aux lights. This is very much visible. And when i switch the high beam on, the aux lights switch on along with OEM light in high position, solving issue of extra illumination when required. This setup solves most of your concerns. But we all do know that any external mods such as extra lights have to be RTO approved, else we stand on the wrong side of the law.

Quote:
Thanks for understanding, appreciate it. However, if you are looking at possibilities for reducing battery drain, one option would be to research on good LED headlamps. I have a LED setup on my Bonnie for close to 4 years now and its a low running bike. Still runs on the stock battery. Touchwood.
Technically speaking, isnt that illegal as well? LED bulbs do not suit the reflector design for halogen, they do end up scattering a lot of light which could be disturbing to oncoming traffic. Also, most LEDs are typically 6500 kelvin on colour temperature (white light) where as a typical halogen is around 4300 K (the regular yellow light). This is also not approved, means a NOC is required from RTO to used LED light source in place of OEM halogen.

What i am trying to say is there are so many rules and regulations, some critical and some not so critical. Most of us do breach the line in someway or the other, be is after market pipes, aux lamps, colour of the vehicle, etc. I am an offender with the aux set up on my interceptor, but i have taken that call as i commute 25kms daily during night time, and feel the aux lights are important in survival amongst the racing cabbies with high beam always on. "Jaan hai to jahaan hai"

Last edited by nasirkaka : 7th August 2019 at 19:31.
nasirkaka is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks